Gothenborg by Popeye the sailor - Billing Boats - 1:100 scale

thanks Aldo......the shrouds are a slow-go at the moment......I'm hoping to pick up the pace.  I'll be glad to get all this spagetti tied off......it's starting to bug me ;)

I did get a couple more shroud lines done.....wasn't long before I made my first goof.  After making the pair for the other side,  both sides were tied off.

post-612-0-82856700-1379206013_thumb.jpg

post-612-0-86444700-1379206026_thumb.jpg

in doing the lead shroud for the main mast,  the starboard side was rigged first.   in tying the dead eye for the port side,  I forgot to run the line through the top.   I had to take it all out and do it over.

post-612-0-82607400-1379206165_thumb.jpg

but all was not lost.....I found that the line could be moved to the mizzen.   now both of the lead shroud lines are done.

post-612-0-64961700-1379206446_thumb.jpg

post-612-0-80005100-1379206455_thumb.jpg

I took this picture of the stern....it would look better if they were complete.

post-612-0-52654400-1379206514_thumb.jpg

then I took these random pictures

post-612-0-15200400-1379206549_thumb.jpg

post-612-0-16581900-1379206560_thumb.jpg

post-612-0-67580800-1379206571_thumb.jpg

perhaps the next update will show more progress.

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller
Phylly C & Denny-Zen - the Lobsie twins - bashed & semi scratch dual build

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Billing's Gothenborg 1:100 / Billing's Boulogne Etaples 1:20
Billing's Half Moon 1:40 - some scratch required
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400
Trawler Syborn - semi scratch / Holiday Harbor dual build - semi scratch

thanks John.......I'll be glad when I do ......they will be more visible then ;)

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400

Look'n good Popeye...... hey, goofs are part of the package :D ....... that's how I built my Supply, all on GOOFS!! :D  :D  :D  

Frank

completed build: Delta River Co. Riverboat     HMAT SUPPLY

USRC "ALERT"

in progress: Red Dragon  (Chinese junk)

I call my goofs the model ship builders waltz: three steps fwd, two steps back, step away mad then four steps fwd, two steps back... :D

Edited by lb0190

Regards,

Larry

----------------------------------------------------

Current Build

US Brig Niagara

Completed Builds

George W Washburn - 1890 Tugboat

Future Builds

18th Century Longboat by MS

HM Cutter Cheerful

Wappen Von Hamburg by Corel

If your not making mistakes, your not challenging yourself – my life has been full of challenges :)

thanks Frank.......if that's the worse thing I've done so far.......then I'm doing great!  then again......it would have been a very boring build!

who ever heard of an easy build  :)

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

Ya can't get mad at it Larry........I don't ;)     and see.....I had a quick fix in the blink of an eye.  now that ain't bad.......I gotta get these shrouds done.   thanks for looking in my friend..........hope to see you in the workshop soon  :)

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

Thanks Popeye. I forgot to mention how impressed I am with your build. It's so easy to make a mistake but it's usually not obvious until the glue is applied or the knot is tied :D  :D :D  For some strange reason I'm looking fwd to rigging my ship.  :)  :)  :)

I managed to get a little work done in the shop today, I'll write something up along with a couple of photos on my log tomorrow...

Take care.

Regards,

Larry

----------------------------------------------------

Current Build

US Brig Niagara

Completed Builds

George W Washburn - 1890 Tugboat

Future Builds

18th Century Longboat by MS

HM Cutter Cheerful

Wappen Von Hamburg by Corel

If your not making mistakes, your not challenging yourself – my life has been full of challenges :)

At the rate I'm going... I can see myself ordering more rigging line sometime in January... Don't feel bad about the odd "oops".... ;)

Although I would recommend against self-mummification :P

Quando Omni Flunkus, Moritati

Current Build:

USF Confederacy

Popeye, I can't tell you how many times I goofed...especially when it gets really confusing with all the running rigging about.  Just be sure before you tie anything off.  Then one day.....it's done!

Looks great.

Augie

Current Build: US Frigate Confederacy - MS 1:64

Previous Builds :

US Brig Syren (MS) - 2013 (see Completed Ship Gallery)

Greek Tug Ulises (OcCre) - 2009 (see Completed Ship Gallery)

Victory Cross Section (Corel) - 1988

Essex (MS) 1/8"- 1976

Cutty Sark (Revell 1:96) - 1956

Hey there Popee I have not read your whole log but I have been admiring parts of it and I noticed your Reversed Cloths Pins. What a great idea! I hope somewhere in your build you mention them, its like you made a hot rod clothspin, I'm going to use the idea on some of my pins now.

Niagara USS Constitution 

Hey Popeye, the rigging on your Gothenborg is coming right along. I'm rather anxious to see some more progress on your other builds though.

Thanks,

Patrick

YouTube Channel for fun: Patrick's Scale Studio

Finished: Model Shipways US Brig Niagara

Current: I Love Kit USS Curtis Wilbur DDG-54

"Tomorrow is the most important thing in life. Comes into us at midnight very clean. It's perfect when it arrives and it puts itself in our hands. It hopes we've learned something from yesterday"

- John Wayne

Looking good, Popeye.  You'll get there.  One line at a time.

Bob

Edited by Cap'n'Bob

Every build is a learning experience.

Current build:  SS_ Mariefred

Completed builds:  US Coast Guard Pequot   Friendship-sloop,  Schooner Lettie-G.-Howard,   Spray,   Grand-Banks-dory

a gaff rigged yawl,  HOGA (YT-146),  Int'l Dragon Class II,   Two Edwardian Launches 

In the Gallery:   Catboat,   International-Dragon-Class,   Spray

yes I will Bob.....thanks!  I hope to get more done this week.  there are a couple of things I want to add in before I get too far though.

Sjors:    I hear you........I hope to be ratting 'er up before you know it.  thanks for the good word ;)

Augie:  I guess it really wasn't a goof,  since I was able to use the line on the mizzen...sure felt like it though  :)  thanks!

Andy:   I know what you mean.....I'm running out of that string that came with the admiral's M&M kite  {yes....she has one of those too :) }  it hangs on the wall in our bedroom.  she wasn't going to fly it,  so she gave the string to me.  I've used it on a number of my builds...it is just the right size and is very forgiving when rigging blocks...doesn't fray easily.   I thought I found it on one of my errands,  right type of string, but larger size....too big to use.  I'm going to look around again this week.......better find dome soon though.....I'm at the end of my rope!  hee.....hee.

Brian:  yes and no on the wood.  this was supposed to bew a single planked model.  the hull came out alright,  but I was too afraid of staining it {glue blotching},  so I double planked it and ordered more for the deck.  it's called Annegre,  a very light colored mahogany.  I had used the crayon method of doing the calking,  and in sanding it, blended the crayon into the entire deck,  making it look a little darker.  it has two or three coats of semi gloss lacquer on it...which dulled down quite a bit.  I'm going to experiment with a gloss lacquer and see if I can get a shine on future decks....even if it's just a little ;)   thanks for the good word !

Jersey City Frankie:   I had seen the clothes pin idea somewhere on the site.  funny,  cuz I used to do this back when I was building heavily.  I had stopped for a while.....in picking up the hobby again,  I saw it and that was it,,,I started to do it again.   it's nice when you need to get close to an edge.....for that pin-point clamping.  invert a few today!  thanks for the good word :)

patrick:  thanks for the good word.   you have me curious now.........what build were you referring to.....if I need a break,  I'll see what update I can come up with for you.   your too kind ;)

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

Take your time, my friend, once you're done with the ratlines, everything will be smooth sailing and easy as pie B)

Edited by rdsaplala

Best regards,

Aldo

Currently Building:
HMS Pegasus (Victory Models)-Mothballed to give priority to Triton

HMS Triton (first attempt at scratchbuilding)

Past build:
HM Brig Badger (Caldercraft), HM Brig Cruizer, HM Schooner Ballahoo

Popeye, I was referring to your President and Half Moon. I've been wanting to see how you're going to integrate wood decks on your plastic President.

Thanks,

Patrick

"Tomorrow is the most important thing in life. Comes into us at midnight very clean. It's perfect when it arrives and it puts itself in our hands. It hopes we've learned something from yesterday"

- John Wayne

thanks Aldo...this is the most repeditive part of the build.   I've done a few so far.........small ones,  these are much larger.   I dealt with the pre formed ratlines in most of my plastic kits.  I like doing them......didn't think I would,  but it's like the old saying .......try it,  you'll like it!

when I was doing the Cutty Sark build,  I had sent in a missing parts request for the sails,  ratlines , and a decal sheet.  I got everything, but one sheet of sails.  I had a plan for the ratlines on another build........I did it.....and bagged the rest of them and put them away.  well,  I am a moderator on another site.......and one day I viewed a post asking for preformed ratlines,  for a build this fellow was doing.  he mentioned that he was in his 70's,  and was having a hard time doing them.   I packed them up and sent them to him,  with a note telling him how he could trim them to fit.  I also plan to do them on my United States build,  so that means that I'll have another set kicking around.

not a big deal........I'll just wait till there is a call for them......there's a home for them somewhere.

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

ohhhh.......you know,  I have been thinking about bringing the deck parts out and doing that.  the build has been dormant for a while now,  as I have been trying to make progress on the Goth.   that's the United States build........I think I need to order more of the 0.7 x 3 mm Annegre planking for it.......I think I'll have just enough for the gun deck.   I'll try and find some time for it........I am rather curious how those grates I made,  will work.......I may have to sand them thinner.

the Half Moon is on the other table......I still have the last two bulkheads to do yet.  once that is done,  I need to finish the sanding,  and then I can see about staining the hull and getting the bottom painted  {I'm going to use the dark drab}.  then I can work on the wales and rub rails for her..........then the task of the cap rails.  stay tuned my friend.....thanks for your interest in these builds ;)

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

I have an update on the Goth......the lower fore shrouds are finished and waiting for the ratlines.   I'd like to get the others done before I get to them though,  so it will be  a while.  I picked up where I left off,  tying on more dead eyes.

post-612-0-04473100-1379564465_thumb.jpg

post-612-0-27531700-1379564478_thumb.jpg

post-612-0-60316100-1379564488_thumb.jpg

painting the individual dead eyes does have it's own drawbacks.  the assembled shrouds aren't all the same height.......and that's OK,  I feel........it looks more natural this way.   much the same respect as the gun port lids........I think they could practice ten times a day,  and in the heat of battle,  could never open them all to the same amount.   I also took the time to look at the yards......just like the bow spirit yards,  I want them to have some movement.  they will be suspended by block pulley assemblies and fastened to the mast with rope strung with perrels.  holes were drilled to thread the blocks and lashings,  and wound to hide the attachment points.

post-612-0-03275900-1379565167_thumb.jpg

I was going to do three rows of perrels,  but I think they are a bit too large.  I had bought these beads a while ago,  to do this.

post-612-0-43202300-1379565277_thumb.jpg

I settled on two rows.  now I didn't make those little deviders that go between the perrels.....too small to even mess with,  so I tied them together in a couple of places and painted them flat black to kill the sheen {and the white thread.....should have used black}

post-612-0-58376900-1379565461_thumb.jpg

post-612-0-80002100-1379565533_thumb.jpg

I went back to work on the shrouds

post-612-0-40422000-1379565610_thumb.jpg

starboard side is complete......the back stay riggind is all that's left.   now to complete the port side.

post-612-0-33188400-1379565686_thumb.jpg

the second stay has been added to the bow spirit.  this is the first of the two that will support the boom portion of the spirit assembly.

post-612-0-01179200-1379565848_thumb.jpg

post-612-0-28022200-1379565865_thumb.jpg

I also added the last of the upper main mast stays.........it did cause a bit of slack in the lower stays.  it's not much......I will see what the back stays will do to take it up.  if it don't,  well I'll just fix it then.

post-612-0-23659100-1379566126_thumb.jpg

the port side shrouds are complete

post-612-0-80060800-1379566177_thumb.jpg 

the outer boom stay is now in place

post-612-0-55546100-1379566220_thumb.jpg

blocks are added to the lower fore mast yard and the spanker yard of the mizzen mast

post-612-0-32890400-1379566303_thumb.jpg

which brings me to where I am now.   I had run out of that type of thread for the dead eyes and running rigging.   I was hoping I could find it.......and I finally did.....in a dollar store,  no less.  of course,  I had to buy the kite in order to get it........the admiral told me to get two of them....they were only $2.50 :)    so, I figure there's still time to introduce the grand sons to kite flying....I have other string to substitute.  the

bundle of thread {it's too small to be called string........although it is what one would percieve it is}...with what I had before,  I was able to do a couple of builds before this one.  these are larger.......should last me a long time!   so now,  I'm laying the first pairs of shroud lines for the main and mizzen masts

post-612-0-29861500-1379567054_thumb.jpg

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

Wow Popeye,

There are a lot of pictures !

Rigging looks great !

And my deadeyes on the Mirage are also not at the same hight…...

We do our best on it but sometimes…….

When do you think you gonna make the ratlines?

animaatjes-sjors-94584.gif

Wow Popeye! You have accomplished quite a bit in the last day or two. The rigging is looking excellent. I've had a lot of luck with bringing in slack with other rigging and stays, but sometimes it can be a real PITA for sure. I can't wait to see more!

Thanks,

Patrick

- John Wayne

That's a lot of progress Popeye.  Rigging tension takes a bit of 'finesse' but you'll get it.  Ultimately, everything is connected to everything :)

We all look at our work with a builders eye and think 'woulda/coulda'.  But don't beat yourself up endlessly.

I think she looks great!

Augie

Current Build: US Frigate Confederacy - MS 1:64

Previous Builds :

US Brig Syren (MS) - 2013 (see Completed Ship Gallery)

Greek Tug Ulises (OcCre) - 2009 (see Completed Ship Gallery)

Victory Cross Section (Corel) - 1988

Essex (MS) 1/8"- 1976

Cutty Sark (Revell 1:96) - 1956

a big thanks to all that pushed the like button.  as you can see,  the amount of pictures I posted showed how my day went,  for the past couple of 'em.   the lack of interruptions was nice......except for Gibbs,  who still expects his scedualed outtings.   I don't blame him....we're having a dry stretch of weather all this week.  I hope I can continue the trend ;)

Sjors:  I think I did all these pictures for you, my friend........I know how much you like your eye candy :D      now that the first set of shrouds are done,  I can see that I'm really not having too much of a problem finding the holes in the back of the chainplate dead eyes......I thought this would be a pain.  I'm hoping the rest of them go much faster now.......I hope to get to the ratline part of it all soon.  bear with me,  my friend  ;)

John, and Aldo:   thanks for the good word.  little by little she's coming together......still can't believe I started this build in 2010.  hopefully I can put the finish to her by the end of the year ;)

patrick and Augie:   thanks to you as well......yepper......tension is everything.   I had done a bit of study with  'absolute zero'  in plastic kits........I find that wood kits are a bit more touchy.   the shrouds also add to the back tension,  being done one at a time.........in plastic kits,  most of them I have done,  the ratlines were all pre-formed and installed as a group.  the lower main stay{s} and the mid stay did experience some negative tension,  but I think the shrouds and back stays will reverse this.  the back stays will come later.

I can see that by doing the dead eyes by 'eye'......my left to right is better than my right to left....perhaps by the end of this build,  I can master that.   I think that for the next build though,  I will leave the dead eyes unpainted,  so I can take advantage of the great jig ideas that are floating around.   yea.....the critic thing will always be around......I believe it born into the hobby itself.  every modeler is faced with it from the moment they lay x-actor to wood......just as every painter feels it,  laying brush to canvas.  it is art,  whether it be simple or complex.  it's a great medium to try ideas and methods,  shared by others of the medium......some with rave review.......and some with not.   many great sayings come from the hobby........but none so universal as  "back to the drawing board".   it's a great hobby.........I'm happy and proud to be a part of it ;)

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

Wow - nice work on the rigging!  The more I see of this one, the more I like the colors as well.  This is going to be one fine looking addition to your collection!

Wayne

Neither should a ship rely on one small anchor, nor should life rest on a single hope.
Epictetus

hello Keith :)

I've been so into the Goth.........I haven't had the time to finish the bulkheads on the Half Moon.  I will be soon,  I hope.   rigging isn't too bad......I wouldn't be if I were you.   you have so many cool thing going on with your build......I think it will be a piece of cake.  one thing to keep in mind as you do it........is that,  if you were the fellow on deck pulling that rope,  what would it do?  it's such a cool thought  :)

this string {thread} came from the admiral.......she had bought a kite that had the M&M characters embossed on it.  since she wasn't going to be flying it,  she gave the string to me.   I thought it funny that a kite should come with so thin a string....but I took a closer look at it and decided to try it for rigging.....I liked it.  it didn't fray so much,  like the cotton thread you get in most of these kits,  and it conformed well through blocks and pulley assemblies.   I completed a couple of builds with it.........too bad it is so  'white'.........I would have been happier if it was a grayish,  or a tan color.   I can live with it though.

starting this build,  I began to worry.......I was running out of it.   I found some more,  but the thickness was too large....oh dear!   I did manage to find the right stuff the other day..........not the exact twist,  but it will do.   the Gothenborg can continue now,  without fear of being held up by the lack of suitable thread......I just hope the the twist difference isn't going to be a problem.   thanks for the good word Keith.........and don't worry about rigging.......once you start,  you won't be able to lay it down!  ;)

thanks Wayne........I can't wait till I get the yards on her..........that's really going to make her stand out!  ;)

Edited by popeye the sailor

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

Nice work on the rigging Popeye, It's hard sometimes trying to get the right tension on the lanyards, but you try to get them as best as you can, yours look good !! I don't think everything was so perfect on a real ship anyway. :P If you're pleased with the string you're using why don't you just stain it ?

Frank

completed build: Delta River Co. Riverboat     HMAT SUPPLY

USRC "ALERT"

in progress: Red Dragon  (Chinese junk)