Gothenborg by Popeye the sailor - Billing Boats - 1:100 scale

Thanks Guys,

I can breath again, as long as I'm at the other end from those thunderboxes. :D

Always makes me wonder why they called them the "Heads". I think I've just answered my own question, there at the head of the ship I think.? :huh:  :huh:

And why is the  Poop Deck called that, surely the gratings up front should be called the Poop Deck ?. :blush:  :blush:

mobbsie

mobbsie
All mistakes are deliberate ( me )

Current Build:- HMS Schooner Pickle

Completed Builds :-   Panart 1/16 Armed Launch / Pinnace ( Completed ),  Granado Cross Section 1/48

Harwich Bawley, Restoration,  Thames Barge Edme, Repair / Restoration,  Will Everard 1/67 Billings 

HMS Agamemnon 1781 - 1/64 Caldercraft KitHM Brig Badger,  HM Bomb Vessel Granado,
Thames Steam Launch Louise,  Thames Barge Edme,  Viking Dragon Boat

Next Build :-  

Hi Popeye,

Your rigging and ship looks impressive. I have a magnifier just like yours and would not consider working on my Niagara without it.

Regards,

Larry

----------------------------------------------------

Current Build

US Brig Niagara

Completed Builds

George W Washburn - 1890 Tugboat

Future Builds

18th Century Longboat by MS

HM Cutter Cheerful

Wappen Von Hamburg by Corel

If your not making mistakes, your not challenging yourself – my life has been full of challenges :)

When a ship sinks by the stern, is that how we get the expression 'heads up'? :D

Mobbsie,

Especially for you: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Poop_deck

Popeye,

Sorry about that, and of course you can call it whatever you have a mind to. I seem to remember that when I had the chance to saile on ye Golden Hinde replica several years back (and more years ago than I care to remember) the crew called it by a few other choice names as well! :o

Kester

Current builds: Sherbourne (Caldercraft) scale – 1/64th;

Statsraad Lehmkuhl (half model) 1/8th" – 1'.

Victory Bow Section (Panart/Mantua) scale – 1/78th  (on hold).

Previous build: Bluenose ll (Billings) scale – 1/100th.

well........let's see......hmmmm.   in your earlier post Mobbsie,  your spelling of  'lanteen spanker'  could lend a lot to the imagination.  since the  'head' is located at the bow of these ships.......that would make for some strange goings-on, for passing ships to observe :huh:

it is uncertain which end of a ship would go under first.......I guess it would depend where the damage was.  if the stern went first,  it would give you a  'head's up' that indeed,  you ARE sinking......and should the bow go under first,  well......I guess your going in  'head first'.   I actually think the head would be like a  'Bedae',  in a sense.   in early times,  modern products weren't invented.......so one must have had to rely on the ocean spray,  as the primary method of choice.  one thing that this ship doesn't have,  is grating at the bow...I haven't seen any in the pictures.......so that tends to make one wonder further.   so.......what do they do......hang over the sides of the bow?  it may be true.......since this practice has been carried on by high school students,  who wish to convey a message to other passing motorists.  :)

I wish they had a Marty Feldman emoticon    post-612-0-72889100-1380418448.jpeg

........."your Egor?"       "no.........it's Igor.........is your name 'heir Fraunkenstien?"

"no........it's Frankenstein."     "suit yourself...........I'm easy!"

post-612-0-27499800-1380418357.jpeg                

anyway................it's all good Kester.......I'm sure some folks have wondered where that terminology came from.   bet it would be fifty lashes for the one who actually did it  ;)

"I swear........I didn't know!    I followed the signs!"  {several sailors hiding behind some cargo, snickering}  "I told 'em ta folla the signs!"  {the others start laughing}.

I know Andy.........I thought I had scurvy or something.   I got more laughs from the M&M and lobster boat builds.  I love levity....I got levity all through me......I gotta come up with another crazy build.   who could resist this famous line:

post-612-0-56937000-1380418504.jpeg

"you take the Blonde........I'll take the one in the turban!"

I never tire watching Mel Brooke's  movies ;)   I do apologize myself........kind off went off the beaten path.   I am glad that no one brought any critters with them.......anything but that :o    movies,  music,  and bass guitar is good.....sports is not.......I'm not an athletic supporter.   I like anything Monty......but not a full monty........been a fan of the Python crew for ages :)

there........I think I muddied things up a bit :)..........soon I'll have another update,  and all will be right with the world.  ;)

Larry........I didn't forget you! :)   thanks for the good word.......I haven't used that magnifyer much,  but on this build,  it has been nice to have.   just when you think you have all the blocks your going to need in place,  a few more are needed during the build.   it makes it real easy to see the holes i've had to drill.   get better my friend,  so you can put your back to work again.....I miss watching your progress ;)

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller
Phylly C & Denny-Zen - the Lobsie twins - bashed & semi scratch dual build

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Billing's Gothenborg 1:100 / Billing's Boulogne Etaples 1:20
Billing's Half Moon 1:40 - some scratch required
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400
Trawler Syborn - semi scratch / Holiday Harbor dual build - semi scratch

Nice work, Popeye.  Beware of Frau Blucher.  Were those horses? :)

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

Getting back to the original (sort of) subject; here in Australia, the South Australian gulf ketches didn't have any er, facilities, and the crew had to hang over the side clutching the shrouds.  Answering a call of nature was known as ' doing a lee sider'.

Now, perhaps, back to the rigging! :)

John

Excellent rigging thus far Sir.

Excellent!!!

And if I may add to the offtopic at hand....

"For what we are about to see next, we must enter quietly into the realm of genius."

No pressure sir!!  :P

-Adam

-Adam

Current Builds

Santa Maria - Artesania Latina (1:65) POB

MayFlower - Model Shipways (5/32"=1') POB
Blue Shadow - Mamoli Revolutionary War Brigantine. (Fict) (1:64) POB (Recommissioned as the Kara June)

On The Shelf Waiting so Patiently

USRC Ranger - Corel (1:50) POB

18th Century Longboat - Model Shipways (1:4) POF

La Nina - Artesania Latina (1:65) POB

U.S Brig Syren - Model Shipways (1:64) POB

Completed Builds

Phantom NY Pilot Boat - Model Shipways (1:96) Solid Hull

Decommissioned Builds
(Time and conditions were not good to these. They have been cancelled =( )

Willie L Bennett - Model Shipways (1:32) POF
USRC Harriet Lane - Model Shipways (1:128) Solid Hull

hi Augie........;)

MArk:  "YES!  he was my boyfriend! :)  thanks for the good word;)

Andy:   thanks for the  'slight'  shove......it's cool to laugh a little :)     when I do finally get another off the wall build going......I'll expect to see you in the front row.  {you can sit next to Bob :)}

John:   not a subject I sit and muse over,  I assure you.  the pictures are serving me quite well.  I wish this was a larger kit.......the ratlines are going to be pretty small compared to what I see on other builds ;)

Adam:  thank you my friend!  I don't know about the genius part though.....but I am glad to be finally be rigging this fine lady!

Edwin:   thanks!  I do hope that what I have in mind for the future...happens.   you'll see a much larger version.....hopefully with all the ornamentation too!  :)

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400

I can see that your rigging spiders have been very busy, Popeye, your rigging looks great as always! :)

Best regards,

Aldo

Currently Building:
HMS Pegasus (Victory Models)-Mothballed to give priority to Triton

HMS Triton (first attempt at scratchbuilding)

Past build:
HM Brig Badger (Caldercraft), HM Brig Cruizer, HM Schooner Ballahoo

I was just going to say . . . . No I'll wait for the next update.  Good work, good work.

Bob

Every build is a learning experience.

Current build:  SS_ Mariefred

Completed builds:  US Coast Guard Pequot   Friendship-sloop,  Schooner Lettie-G.-Howard,   Spray,   Grand-Banks-dory

a gaff rigged yawl,  HOGA (YT-146),  Int'l Dragon Class II,   Two Edwardian Launches 

In the Gallery:   Catboat,   International-Dragon-Class,   Spray

thanks Aldo.......it's going better than I thought it would ;)

well Bob......guess I'd better get an update on her right away.....;)        what?.......I didn't put in any pictures of Inga? ;)

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

• 2 months later...

.......and other builds....I do.  :)    the past B.S. that has been going on.....coupled with my slump in building,  is getting very dry.   I gotta liven up my build table.   so,  the first thing I did,  was tie off all the ropes on the mizzen shrouds,  and trim them.

post-612-0-85360100-1386084775_thumb.jpg

post-612-0-68198400-1386084785_thumb.jpg

I need to do the main mast shrouds......but there are a few thing I need to do still.   I decided to chop some wood.......about 22 of them.

post-612-0-44739000-1397136913_thumb.jpg

then......drill some holes......they need to be all the same.   I used long pins to sand and square off the ends.

post-612-0-53609400-1386085009_thumb.jpg

then thread some string,  and I came up with this.

post-612-0-24190500-1397136936_thumb.jpg

I had made up these railings a while ago......this is where they are to go.

post-612-0-28597000-1386085112_thumb.jpg

the rungs were cemented on the strings with real tiny drops of white glue.  they will be stained later on, and the rails will be painted red.   over the tops of the gun port lids,  there is a thin gap.  I intend to take some string,  stain it brown,  cut it to size,  and cement them in the gaps.  I don't think I'm going to anything with the hinges,  but I am going to cement in some eye bolts and rig them with ropes.

post-612-0-91562400-1386085130_thumb.jpg

post-612-0-87745100-1386085140_thumb.jpg

I went with ten rungs.......but I had the two extra {no mistakes}.......so I used them.   ohhhhhhh!  wait!

I just had an after thought.....or a before thought,  seeing as I haven't done anything yet!   I really don't need all that anchor rope.....I'll just use some of that for the gun port lids!   sorry for thinking out loud........it's nice to know the stooges haven't fried ALL of my brain cells ;)    see you at the next update.  :)

Edited by popeye the sailor

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

Good to see her back in action!!!!!

Augie

Current Build: US Frigate Confederacy - MS 1:64

Previous Builds :

US Brig Syren (MS) - 2013 (see Completed Ship Gallery)

Greek Tug Ulises (OcCre) - 2009 (see Completed Ship Gallery)

Victory Cross Section (Corel) - 1988

Essex (MS) 1/8"- 1976

Cutty Sark (Revell 1:96) - 1956

Look'n good Popeye!!

Frank

completed build: Delta River Co. Riverboat     HMAT SUPPLY

USRC "ALERT"

in progress: Red Dragon  (Chinese junk)

Wonderful, just the steps a tad too thick?

Cheers, Daniel

To victory and beyond! http://modelshipworld.com/index.php?/topic/76-hms-victory-by-dafi-to-victory-and-beyond/

See also our german forum for Sailing Ship Modeling and History: http://www.segelschiffsmodellbau.com/

Finest etch parts for HMS Victory 1:100 (Heller Kit) and other useful bits.

http://dafinismus.de/index_en.html

thanks for the good word Augie 'n Frank.   yepper.....gett'in back with the program  ;)

you might be right Dr. Dafi.........I just stained them too.........hmmmmmmmm.   don't take much to make a new pair.......I'll see if I have anything thinner......I had to dig into my  'bits & piece'  box to get this wood.   I might have something left from the lobster traps ;)  thanks for the good word and the keen observation..........did I tell you that sometimes I can be like a bull in a china shop :D :D :D

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

Bull away, Popeye.   You get things done, you fix what's not right, and you're having fun.   What more is there?

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

absolutely Mark!   I'm going to try and bounce around the builds and do some of the sub assemblies,  while I work on the planking.   you seen one.........you've seen three  :)   I don't have any thinner stock for the ladders,  so,  I'm going to have to cut  some....I have some flat stock I can strip out......1/16.......1/32......I need to look.   I made more progress......still in the camera though.   we went out this afternoon and got our tree.........I kinda goofed on the height {can you say Griswold} :D :D :D    no problem.....a little trimming,  and it'll work ;)

{I made sure there were no squirrels} ;)

thanks for the good word........another update soon!

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

hello there Keith!........nice you want to follow,  but you need to keep in mind that this is a Swedish ship.........the rigging may be somewhat different.   the terminology might be a little different as well......just watch other folks who are doing ships like your Swift.   too bad about Randy......don't know what happened to him.  he was all over the news for a while there.......now he's probably sitting in a Canadian jail,  all because of that crazy woman he hooked up with  :)   I got the Movie from a company Christmas party.....Yankee Swap......it's a staple in our house too........right along with Scrooged :D :D :D

yea......Dr. Dafi's correct Ferit........just something I overlooked.  I've stripped out some 1/32 flat stock from my junk bin..........a tiny bit more narrow,  and I'll use some thinner rope.   I'll just save these two for something else.

post-612-0-59434700-1386164115_thumb.jpg

I don't need them right now......so this will give me time to make new ones.  in the meantime,  I did as I was going to do.....cut some of the anchor ropes and make the gaskets for the gun port lids.  I also painted the railings and cemented them in place........I'm happy with how they came out.

post-612-0-92886300-1397137048_thumb.jpg

post-612-0-22873600-1397137066_thumb.jpg

post-612-0-05650000-1397137086_thumb.jpg

post-612-0-59053700-1397137171_thumb.jpg

the last thing I got to do before we took off to get the tree,  was the eye bolts for the lids.

post-612-0-68367800-1397137213_thumb.jpg

I'll see what I get  'roped'  into today  ;)

Edited by popeye the sailor

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

Hi Popeye,

Once again I brave a foray into the world of the spinach, shame about the ladder thickness mate, they look good. My guise is your looking for a thickness of approx. 0.5mm for the rungs and set at 4mm apart.

The Goth is looking great and now that you have tied off the shrouds you know what comes next don't you, HA HA,HA,HA,HA.

Be Good

mobbsie

mobbsie
All mistakes are deliberate ( me )

Current Build:- HMS Schooner Pickle

Completed Builds :-   Panart 1/16 Armed Launch / Pinnace ( Completed ),  Granado Cross Section 1/48

Harwich Bawley, Restoration,  Thames Barge Edme, Repair / Restoration,  Will Everard 1/67 Billings 

HMS Agamemnon 1781 - 1/64 Caldercraft KitHM Brig Badger,  HM Bomb Vessel Granado,
Thames Steam Launch Louise,  Thames Barge Edme,  Viking Dragon Boat

Next Build :-  

Actually the differing methods of rigging by country I'm finding interesting.

I'm considering my first POF scratch build and am considering the French Xebec La Requin. The huge differences in her deck construction as well as its differences in rigging I find intriguing.

As I study rigging, I'm also finding the changes that occurred in rigging with history and its R&D very interesting. I love the lanteen sail setup of La Requin but was reading that later in life it was switched out for square rigging. The many subtle differences within all the ships we build is why I love this hobby. I always told my students I chose science because you can never know everything about it, therefore you always have more to learn. I chose ship building as it offers the same.

Before I started the rigging on the DSotM I decided to work in something else as a side project I've wanted to start for a while. Guess the multiple build bug has finally struck. Although this ones very small.

it is amazing how the rigging changed .......through wars and capturing enemy ships.....and even venturing and studying cultures.  one might think perhaps,  that this was an early form of camo.......a British sailor looking through a spyglass,  might see her rigged as a British ship,  and make the fatal mistake.  this being my first wooden sailing ship......I'm finding it a whole lot different than plastic.  but I'm armed with a slew of pictures of the actual ship,  one of the best ways to see how a ship is rigged.   sounds like your in for a fun project......the ornamentation alone will boggle your mind.   I'm sure you'll have a good time with it.....you'll have to let me know when you begin.....definite must see! ;)   do be careful with the multiple build bug......they replicate like crazy!!!!

hey there Mobbsie........no problem about the ladders.  the original ones are 11 rung.......I'll have to add some at this new thickness......not a problem.   I did notice one problem......I finished my latest update,  and I looked over at the Goth to see that I had missed the mark.   just above the gun port lids,  there is a slight gap in the second planking,  and you can see the underlying planking.    looking at the above pictures,  you can barely make it out........but I saw it......in spades!  I ripped them all out and redid them.

post-612-0-96944200-1386173722_thumb.jpg

now they all look like this.......touching the lids,  and not up against the rail above it.   with a little more work,  I can get to the main shrouds.........and then I can get to that 'fun' that your talking about :)

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

thanks John......figured I had better get going on her ........all the crap that went on and all.  refreshing to be doing something that is normal.  ;)

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

I just looked at the re-finished ladders.........go to hold them up against the hull.....and they're too wide!   oh well........back to the drawing board!  ;)

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock: