Gothenborg by Popeye the sailor - Billing Boats - 1:100 scale

I'm late, I'm late for a happy birthday wish but still in time!  Happy birthday Popeye, many more  :cheers:

Cheers,

Piet, The Flying Dutchman.

"Your greatest asset is not the quantity of your friends , rather the quality of your friends."  (old Chinese proverb)

Current Builds: Hr. Ms. Java 1925-1942

VOC Ship Surabaya

Planned Builds: Young America Diorama - scale 1:3000

Future Builds: KPM ship "MS Musi."  Zuiderzee Botter - scale 1:25. VOC Jacht in a 6" lamp,  Buginese fishing Prauw.  Hr. Ms. Java - Royal Navy Netherlands Cruiser.

Completed Builds:   Hr. Ms. O16 Submarine

Hr. Ms. O19 - Submarine Royal Navy Netherlands

Ship Yard Diorama with Topsail schooner -

Friendship Sloop Gwenfra

Muscongus Bay Lobster Smack    

Golden Hind - Cutte Sark (both not in this forum)

Happy Birthday, Popeye.  Excellent progress on the Goth.  

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

Great to see you celebrating, mate, excellent work too on the stays and running rigging for the yards on the jib-boom :)

Best regards,

Aldo

Currently Building:
HMS Pegasus (Victory Models)-Mothballed to give priority to Triton

HMS Triton (first attempt at scratchbuilding)

Past build:
HM Brig Badger (Caldercraft), HM Brig Cruizer, HM Schooner Ballahoo

Happy Birthday Popeye!!! Here's hoping your birthday brings more model kits (as if you don't already have enough going right now).

Thanks,

Patrick

YouTube Channel for fun: Patrick's Scale Studio

Finished: Model Shipways US Brig Niagara

Current: I Love Kit USS Curtis Wilbur DDG-54

"Tomorrow is the most important thing in life. Comes into us at midnight very clean. It's perfect when it arrives and it puts itself in our hands. It hopes we've learned something from yesterday"

- John Wayne

thanks Piet........your not too late......see,  they're still coming in :)

thanks Mark and Aldo.........yes work continues on the Goth....hope to do more soon ;)

yes,  I have plenty to do,  patrick.........but it doesn't stop me from looking  :)   thanks for the birthday wish!

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller
Phylly C & Denny-Zen - the Lobsie twins - bashed & semi scratch dual build

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Billing's Gothenborg 1:100 / Billing's Boulogne Etaples 1:20
Billing's Half Moon 1:40 - some scratch required
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400
Trawler Syborn - semi scratch / Holiday Harbor dual build - semi scratch

Eep, a little late - but Happy Birthday Neighbor!

Ship is looking real good too!!

-Adam

-Adam

Current Builds

Santa Maria - Artesania Latina (1:65) POB

MayFlower - Model Shipways (5/32"=1') POB
Blue Shadow - Mamoli Revolutionary War Brigantine. (Fict) (1:64) POB (Recommissioned as the Kara June)

On The Shelf Waiting so Patiently

USRC Ranger - Corel (1:50) POB

18th Century Longboat - Model Shipways (1:4) POF

La Nina - Artesania Latina (1:65) POB

U.S Brig Syren - Model Shipways (1:64) POB

Completed Builds

Phantom NY Pilot Boat - Model Shipways (1:96) Solid Hull

Decommissioned Builds
(Time and conditions were not good to these. They have been cancelled =( )

Willie L Bennett - Model Shipways (1:32) POF
USRC Harriet Lane - Model Shipways (1:128) Solid Hull

thanks Adam!   done with work for another week.....the next four days are for play!

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400

HAPPY BIRTHDAY Popeye  :D  :D  :D  :D  :D  :D

If I'm to late then this is for next year so i can not forget it  :P  :P  :P

Any updates with pictures from the Goth??????

animaatjes-sjors-94584.gif

you already sent me a birthday wish Sjors......appreciate it though.  not much more with the Goth I'm afraid......I will have something on it tomorrow.....promise.  truth be told.......I have been looking into creating a sure - fire way to correct the cabin bulkheads on the Half Moon.

I have also been fixing the spitfire........somehow it got pushed into the wall and it got some right side damage to the stabilizer and wing tip.  I plan to get her up in the air,  putting it on you tube..........whether it's a successful flight,  or a crash and burn......first one I've done in a while,  so who knows ;)

I won't let you down good buddy....even if it's just the fore shrouds.

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

Morning Popeye,

I can better give you to much congratulations for your birthday then not at all…...

Keep your promises and go back to the Goth.

And be careful with the Spitfire.

When you put it in you tube, give the link.

I want to see that…..

hi there  Ron........oh yes,  I have dead eyes all around me........just not on the ship yet  :)   I have a few on there.......but I need to get a move on it..........Sjors is getting impatient....he's even beginning to yell at me.........hee.....heee  :)   I also should have something on the Half Moon soon.......a sort of a tutorial,  if you want to look at it like that.   thanks for the birthday wish.........I had a great one! ;)

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

I'd like to see that Popeye, lovely little aircraft the Spitfire, when you get her up mate just make sure it's not her last flight. Good Luck. B)  B)

Now nautical things, I see no progress to date, Sjors is not just frustrated he's spittin feathers, no pics you see, suffering withdrawals, sulking, bad tempered, :angry:  :angry: :angry:  :D  :D  

You know what you have to do. :)  :)

mobbsie

mobbsie
All mistakes are deliberate ( me )

Current Build:- HMS Schooner Pickle

Completed Builds :-   Panart 1/16 Armed Launch / Pinnace ( Completed ),  Granado Cross Section 1/48

Harwich Bawley, Restoration,  Thames Barge Edme, Repair / Restoration,  Will Everard 1/67 Billings 

HMS Agamemnon 1781 - 1/64 Caldercraft KitHM Brig Badger,  HM Bomb Vessel Granado,
Thames Steam Launch Louise,  Thames Barge Edme,  Viking Dragon Boat

Next Build :-  

oh......I know Mobbsie :)   I tried to get to her today,  but I got caught up cutting the cabin bulkhead planking for the Half Moon.   I'm hoping this will pasify you know who,  until I can do something to you know what,  so I can put it you know where.  :)

oh.....so your saying it really wasn't the meds that broke Sjor's fever...........his frustration built up so much pressure,  that he literally  'vented'  the fever out!!!   yes,  I've heard that chewing on  'down'  pillows can have that effect.......must be related to the frustration thing.

I know......I'll PM him a couple of pictures of the spitfire.....could be what he's doing right about now.  I'm sorry Sjors......I have one project I have to do tomorrow,  but I will do my best to get some pictures here........I know I said today,  I failed miserably...and I apologize.   I hope you like what I did to the Half Moon.

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

Holy mackerel how did I miss your birthday.  Happy birthday and I hope you have many more!  Keep making life fun Popeye it sure is a pleasure having you on the forum.  

Hi Popeye

First time I have looked at your log, what can I say but just magic.

Just love your attention to detail well done indeed .

Denis.

thank you Denis........this is me stumbling into the unknown.   I've done plenty in plastic,  but this is my first in wood.  I am so thankful having the good fortune of running into folks who have seen.....and worked........on this ship first hand.  they also supplied me with sites to look at and sent me a whole slew of pictures.   this is a testament of this site.......a really fine group of folks who love their ships and the hobby they base them on.  the background and history here is quite in depth.  I truly enjoy being here......and I hope you do as well  ;)

thanks for the good word....I really appreciate it  :)

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

I couldn't let you down Sjors.......I did get something accomplished.  I started by rigging the lower stays for the mizzen mast.  in the pictures,  I saw that there were two.......one was with hearts,  the other one I couldn't quite make out,  so I used two smaller hearts  {the small wood eyelets I made}.

post-612-0-97629000-1378522399_thumb.jpg

post-612-0-97421100-1378522410_thumb.jpg

then I did the upper stay for the mizzen

post-612-0-08277400-1378522451_thumb.jpg

I wanted to do more with the shrouds,  but duty called for Gibbs,  and by then it was time for supper.  I did do the two I had set up on the starboard side........I did not tie them off yet though......I want to get the rest of them done before I do that.

post-612-0-20854900-1378522617_thumb.jpg

I can't wait to get the back stays on and tighten all these stays up......I have one more main stay to do yet,  and there is one or two that are not as tight as I would like them to be.  I think that if I try to correct them,  it may upset the balance........this last stay that I speak of has the ability to make {one of them especially} matters worse........so I will have to be careful and stay on the positive side of  'absolute zero'.   it will be shrouds now......with a couple more lines to be added to the bow.

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

Great to see you started on the rigging.

I will follow you closely to see what you are doing with those lovely shrouds and later on the ratlines.....

I hope I can do something today.

thanks John and Sjors.....more progress soon  ;)   thanks for looking in commodore Augie  :)

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

Popeye,

You're Gothenburg is looking very good, and better then the real thing at the moment!

She was in Norrtälje, a small port not far from us last weekend, and my wife and I went to see her. Luckily there weren't that many people, so we managed to get on board more or less straight away and spent about an hour on board. She's looking a little down at heel at the moment, having just finished a European tour, Norrtälje being the last port of call before she returned to Gothenburg for a refit. I believe I heard her firing her salute the next day, from our cottage, as she left.

The latest is that she is to prepare for a second voyage to China in 2016.

Kester

Current builds: Sherbourne (Caldercraft) scale – 1/64th;

Statsraad Lehmkuhl (half model) 1/8th" – 1'.

Victory Bow Section (Panart/Mantua) scale – 1/78th  (on hold).

Previous build: Bluenose ll (Billings) scale – 1/100th.

thank you very much for your kind comment Kester.........and thanks for the update.   I was told that she would be setting off on this year's tour,  around April,  if my memory serves me.   your another of the fortunate,  to have walked her decks,  something that I can only dream about ;)   glad to hear that you had a good time.  thanks again for the good word.....it's going to be very sweet to finally finish her. :)

I do wonder where Eric {seasick} has gone to?  I haven't seen him around.   he worked aboard the Gothenborg last year,  but lamented that he would not be able to count himself as one of the crew..........perhaps he stole himself aboard anyway?  time will tell.

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

Hi Popeye

You said this is your first wooden ship build ( well you fooled me my friend , It looks to me you have been doing wooden ship builds for years so what can I say ) but well done and I would like to take my hat of to you, just fantastic build ( and I do mean that ).

Denis.

That rigging looks great Popeye. I'm looking forward to seeing more of it!

Thanks,

Patrick

YouTube Channel for fun: Patrick's Scale Studio

Finished: Model Shipways US Brig Niagara

Current: I Love Kit USS Curtis Wilbur DDG-54

"Tomorrow is the most important thing in life. Comes into us at midnight very clean. It's perfect when it arrives and it puts itself in our hands. It hopes we've learned something from yesterday"

- John Wayne

Hi Popeye,

The rigging looks great - as well as the entire build.

Regards,

Larry

----------------------------------------------------

Current Build

US Brig Niagara

Completed Builds

George W Washburn - 1890 Tugboat

Future Builds

18th Century Longboat by MS

HM Cutter Cheerful

Wappen Von Hamburg by Corel

If your not making mistakes, your not challenging yourself – my life has been full of challenges :)

It's a steep learning curve Popeye and you are obviously a quick learner, she's looking great mate, great bit of rigging.

mobbsie

mobbsie
All mistakes are deliberate ( me )

Current Build:- HMS Schooner Pickle

Completed Builds :-   Panart 1/16 Armed Launch / Pinnace ( Completed ),  Granado Cross Section 1/48

Harwich Bawley, Restoration,  Thames Barge Edme, Repair / Restoration,  Will Everard 1/67 Billings 

HMS Agamemnon 1781 - 1/64 Caldercraft KitHM Brig Badger,  HM Bomb Vessel Granado,
Thames Steam Launch Louise,  Thames Barge Edme,  Viking Dragon Boat

Next Build :-  

I'm sorry Denis........I probably didn't specify....this one is my first sailing ship in wood.   I have done others,  but most of them are fishing vessels.  I've done a lot of plastic build though.......but wood is so much different....I absolutely love it!

hello Patrick!  so glad to see your up and about...I hope your feeling better....I miss your work.  ;)

thanks Larry and Mobbsie......you are so correct on the learning curve......I'm so glad I have all these pictures.   I made it through my work week,  so I'm going to try making some headway with the build.   I have a few chores to do,  but I don't think they will be too bad. 

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

The shrouds and stays are coming along very nicely, Popeye, excellent work!

Best regards,

Aldo

Currently Building:
HMS Pegasus (Victory Models)-Mothballed to give priority to Triton

HMS Triton (first attempt at scratchbuilding)

Past build:
HM Brig Badger (Caldercraft), HM Brig Cruizer, HM Schooner Ballahoo