US Brig Syren by kscadman - Model Shipways - Scale 1:64 - first wooden ship build

Thank you for taking the time to explain how you did the coils. There is always more than one way of doing something, but there is only one way for each of us, if it works for you then do it that way no matter how long it takes. Keep the pictures coming.

Wacko

Joe :D

Go MSW :) :)

Thanks, Richard

My Syren kit is still in the box. This will be my first POB kit and I am still in the research phase. Are you doing all this beautiful work on the dining room table shown in the pictures? If so that is even more impressive.

Jim

All I have to say is 2 down 14 to go. :)  Who would of thought making coils would take up so much time ( and be soo frustrating). But I am happy with the result. 

Richard

Looks fantastic mate.

Are they real tree nails, if so what technique did you use ?

There are so many options I'm not sure which method, but I do like your outcome

Current Build - US Brig Syren - Model Shipways - 1:64 - 1st wood build

Armed Virginia Sloop with complimentary 8x paint MS paint set - Model Shipways - Ordered 31st October 2013

Victory Cross Section - Corel - Ordered 15th October

How did I miss the build log? I have the Syren on the shelf and will be starting it as soon as I finish my current build. Your deck planking is amazing. Thanks for your log. I will be keeping an eye on it from now on.

Current Builds - 18th Century Longboat, MS Syren

Completed Builds - MS Bluenose, Panart BatteStation Cross section, Endevour J Boat Half Hull, Windego Half Hull, R/C T37 Breezing Along, R/C Victoria 32, SolCat 18

On the shelf - Panart San Felipe, Euromodel Ajax, C.Mamoli America, 

Its a sailor's Life for me! :10_1_10:

Charley & Joe, Thanks, glad I could help. I've been getting help from alot of members so its good to give back.

Jim, this is my first POB kit, actually its my first wooden ship kit. I've built the plastic ones but there's no comparison to wood. And yes I do work off my dining table. I live in a small apartment so space is limited.

Pygothian, thank you, and yes they are real tree nails. I used my scrape basswood left over from planking. I cut the 1/8 x 1/16 in half lengthwise and pulled them thru my draw plate. I was only able to do about 10 to 15mm lengths at a time but I managed to get them down to 1-1/2 scale inches (roughly.05mm). then I made a jig that used to drill the holes in the planks. The pictures show the jig. Each slot has 2 pre-drilled holes in the clear plastic on top that I used as guides. Then I glued them in using with diluted "stainable" carpenters glue. I would cut each plank to length then install the tree nails then sand them down. Hope this helps.

Floyd, welcome aboard and thanks for the compliments. Your Harvey is coming along great. Can't wait to see your Syren build log when you start it.

I hoping to have pictures from before the crash uploaded just as soon as I figure out how to load them all in one post.

Richard 

post-629-0-68100700-1381897266_thumb.jpg

post-629-0-71207100-1381897267_thumb.jpg

post-629-0-86321100-1381897268_thumb.jpg

Current Build - U.S. Syren

2nd Build - HMS Bounty Launch

When organizing your thoughts, never use the Dewey Decimal system.

I think there's a 10 per post maximum but it's workable.

Augie

Current Build: US Frigate Confederacy - MS 1:64

Previous Builds :

US Brig Syren (MS) - 2013 (see Completed Ship Gallery)

Greek Tug Ulises (OcCre) - 2009 (see Completed Ship Gallery)

Victory Cross Section (Corel) - 1988

Essex (MS) 1/8"- 1976

Cutty Sark (Revell 1:96) - 1956

It will be great to have your whole build log restored! Just break it down into several loads and you should have no problems. That's how I brought mine back after the crash  :)

Thomas

Current Built:   Model Shipways  Syren  (US Brig 1803)

Last Built:        Anfora (kit bashed)  Ictineo II  (1st steam powered submarine 1864)

I'm just a newbie, but are you able to explain the jig you made for the tree nailing. I'm not really sure what I'm looking at

Thanks

Armed Virginia Sloop with complimentary 8x paint MS paint set - Model Shipways - Ordered 31st October 2013

Gahm, looks like I have lots of downloading in my near future. Thanks for the "heads up" :)

Polygothian, The base is made from 1" x 1/4" basswood plywood that I cut to a rough length of 7". I sanded down some basswood strips to 1/16" thickness. Then I glued the strips of basswood to the base making sure that they were parallel and 1/8" from each other, this way I was able to get consistent size planks. The middle and bottom slot is for 1/8" x 1/16" planks and the one on top at the edge (when viewed in the pictures) is for 1/8" x 3/16" planks. I squared off 2 pieces of scrap basswood and glued them on the ends of the slots (the square and rectangular pieces in the middle) these were used as "stops". Its hard to see but if you look at where the stops are there are 2 holes drilled into a piece of clear plastic that I have nailed on top. These are used a guides to drill the treenail holes.

In picture 2 you can see how I inserted a plank into the middle slot. If a plank wouldn't fit in the slot then I knew it was too wide and if it had some "play" then I knew it was too thin and if it didn't butt flush with the stops then I knew it wasn't square on the end. Once it fit right then I used the holes in the clear plastic to drill the treenail holes, then I would turn the plank around and drill holes in the other end.

I hope this helps.

Richard 

Gahm, looks like I have lots of downloading in my near future. Thanks for the "heads up" :)

Polygothian, The base is made from 1" x 1/4" basswood plywood that I cut to a rough length of 7". I sanded down some basswood strips to 1/16" thickness. Then I glued the strips of basswood to the base making sure that they were parallel and 1/8" from each other, this way I was able to get consistent size planks. The middle and bottom slot is for 1/8" x 1/16" planks and the one on top at the edge (when viewed in the pictures) is for 1/8" x 3/16" planks. I squared off 2 pieces of scrap basswood and glued them on the ends of the slots (the square and rectangular pieces in the middle) these were used as "stops". Its hard to see but if you look at where the stops are there are 2 holes drilled into a piece of clear plastic that I have nailed on top. These are used a guides to drill the treenail holes.

In picture 2 you can see how I inserted a plank into the middle slot. If a plank wouldn't fit in the slot then I knew it was too wide and if it had some "play" then I knew it was too thin and if it didn't butt flush with the stops then I knew it wasn't square on the end. Once it fit right then I used the holes in the clear plastic to drill the treenail holes, then I would turn the plank around and drill holes in the other end.

I hope this helps.

Richard

Absolute genius. Now that would save time, and get things perfect every time. I was imaging doing 1000s by hand and hoping I got them lined up closely.

Thanks for explaining, it makes perfect sense now. I just didn't see the Perspex

• 3 months later...

Hi guys and gals, its good to be able to finally make a post. 

Haven't been able to do much on the ole' girl. But I have managed to get thru the cannon rigging and adding the coils. Also I've finished the companionway and ladder.

Currently working on the capstan. Just need to add the "fiddly bits" (chocks) and then it'll be on to the binnacle.

Richard 

post-629-0-88352100-1391566886_thumb.jpg

post-629-0-56096600-1391566919_thumb.jpg

post-629-0-88788400-1391566957_thumb.jpg

post-629-0-86762700-1391566979_thumb.jpg

post-629-0-12576900-1391567041_thumb.jpg

post-629-0-19880300-1391567053_thumb.jpg

Aye, mate. Carronades at the ready!

Augie

Previous Builds :

Essex (MS) 1/8"- 1976

First wooden build? WOW Very impressive work my friend. How do you take on such a project as a first? I wouldn't have the nerve. I guess you just do it. :dancetl6:

The heart is happiest when the head and the hands work together.

Al

Current Builds:

HMS Halifax 1/48 POF Lumberyard Kit

Model Shipways Glad Tidings

Acoustic Guitar Build FINISHED

Well I've decided to back track a bit and work on my quarter galleries. Since I wasn't too thrilled with the detail on the castings, and I couldn't mix any combination of paints to match the color of the hull, I decided to make my own. But I am using the castings as a pattern to get my measurements from.

This probably isn't the best way of doing it but I'm giving it a try. (comments, critics, and most of all ADVISE are highly welcome at this point)

I'm going to do it in 3 sections, Top, middle & bottom. So far I've completed the middle section. I started by spot gluing 2 pieces of basswood together and getting the basic shape then I filed out the 3 slots for the windows which I wanted them to be 6/32 x 6/32 (scale 1'-4" x 1'-4") but I forgot to follow the measure twice rule and ended up with 1' x 1'-4" windows. Then I used HO scale 2" x 2"s and 1" x 2"s to make the frames.

I sanded down 2 pieces of scrap basswood to make the trim for the top and bottom of the windows. Once I get them sanded down a bit more I'll glue them to the windows.

Here's some pics of my progress.  

post-629-0-49529200-1391964470_thumb.jpg

post-629-0-14799900-1391964478_thumb.jpg

post-629-0-23082300-1391964485_thumb.jpg

Interesting approach of re-creating the quarter galleys. I just received my Syren kit and am not very impressed by the Britannia castings either, especially the side quarters and over the weekend was mulling over how I'd get to a better end result. You may just have provided the answer!

Current Build: US Brig Syren, Model Shipways, 1:64

Future Build:  Friesland, Mamoli 1:75 / Alfred, The LumberYard, 1/8

Thanks very much for posting this part of your build!  I really dislike the bits that came with the kit, but have not allowed myself to think about how hard it will be to scratch these.  Your work and process will be invaluable to me in the near future.  These are coming along very well indeed!

-Todd

Current build US Brig Syren

Hello Richard,

I am just catching up with your log. Your carronades and transom turned out great!! And you are off to a very good start on the quarter galleries. Just keep in mind that the whole assembly is slightly slanted as well and not mounted perpendicularly to the wall of the Syren. I noticed that at the very end of my quarter gallery construction and had to redo all of it. Believe me, at that point I was not happy!  :) 

Thomas

Current Built:   Model Shipways  Syren  (US Brig 1803)

Last Built:        Anfora (kit bashed)  Ictineo II  (1st steam powered submarine 1864)

Todd and Marsares, I hope to help out if I can. I have the basic idea as to how I'm going to complete it, but as with all things they're subject to change. Should have a new post with pics soon.

Thomas, as always, thank you for the compliments! And I will take into account the slant to the quarter galleries.The drawings show that the galleries follow closely with the shear of the planking so I'm going to follow that line.

Hi Richard,

Your build is looking great. I am considerably behind yours. I am reworking the deck for the third time. I just can't seem to get it the way I want. I have a picture of yours sitting on my workbench.

Richard T

Richard
Member: The Nautical Research Guild
                Atlanta Model Shipwrights

Current build: Syren

Well lets see?..... Single digit temperatures, 10 inches of snow and sleet - good weekend for doing some modeling!

Scott and Ronald thank you for the comments! Ronald, The jig I have is the model shipways fair a frame. I bought it cheap on ebay and it does a good job of holding the ship in place.

Richard, I'm honored to hear you have a picture of my ship on your workbench! Thank you! I hope you get your deck to work to your expectations.. 

I've made some progress this week. The quarter galleries are coming along slowly but surely. And I completed the tiller and the binnacle as well as getting a good start on my 12 pounders. Does anyone know where I can get a smaller ships bell, the one included in the kit looks way too big when set on top of the binnacle.

Richard 

post-629-0-90305700-1393689920_thumb.jpg

post-629-0-90298600-1393689961_thumb.jpg

post-629-0-24413300-1393690015_thumb.jpg

post-629-0-09539900-1393690027_thumb.jpg

post-629-0-13654000-1393690044_thumb.jpg

Edited by kscadman

Lets see if I can explain this right. Whenever I cut the long end of an eyelet off I would save it. So I took a couple of them and sanded them down on fine grit sandpaper (I think 400 grit)  to about 1/64" then I cut about a 3/32" length. Then I bent them at a 90 degree angle and then dipped them in blacken it

Edited by kscadman

Nice, clean-looking binnacle.  The deck is really starting to pop.

Augie

Previous Builds :

Essex (MS) 1/8"- 1976