how to determine the correct number of frames on scratchbuilt ship (Moved by moderator)

I am wanting to build a scratch built ship and woul like to know how to determine the correct number of frames I would need to make. I have the sheer half bredth and body plans but I know that those will not be enough as I would like to leave one side so I could show the interior of the ship. I am new to this form but havebeen building ship for a fe years mostly POB and kits. Woulld like to build the next one like it was orginally build any help with drawing the frames and determining how many would be a great help. Thank you. 

Well I would say the more frames the more accurate the hull will be. In warships the frames were heavy and only a few inches apart. In say a fishing boat maybe a foot apart. One thing you could do would be to show false frames where you intend to show them through the planking. I've seen example models on this forum where the modeler has blocked in between every frame to ensure a fair hull.   BILL

Bill, in Idaho

Completed Mamoli Halifax and Billings Viking ship in 2015

Next  Model Shipways Syren

Well I would say the more frames the more accurate the hull will be. I've seen example models on this forum where the modeler has blocked in between every frame to ensure a fair hull.   BILL

I have done this somewhat with the Utrecht. I took the main frames and they were to far apart so added some more and now all of them are 26 mm apart. I may just add some more where the bow is or make it a solid bow.

Like Bill said, you decide. There is no exact way.

Marc

Current Built: Zeehaen 1639, Dutch Fluit from Dutch explorer Abel J. Tasman

Unofficial motto of the VOC: "God is good, but trade is better"

Many people believe that Captain J. Cook discovered Australia in 1770. They tend to forget that Dutch mariner Willem Janszoon landed on Australia’s northern coast in 1606. Cook never even sighted the coast of Western Australia).

Greetings Budad,

What ship are you building? I don't know how anyone answers your question without this information. You said you wanted to show framing as the original ship was built. Are you aware of how close the frames are in 18th-19th century naval ships? On the other hand, merchant vessels of the same period were not built as heavily as the naval ships. I am sure someone on this forum can point you in the right direction once the type of ship is known.

wq3296 

Bud

If you can tell us the name and size of the ship as well as the year, the sidings of the floors and futtocks as well as room and space can be determined.  From these you can determine the number of frames.  Are the stations shown on your drawings?  

I am doing a framing disposition drawing of the Litchfield (50) 1730, built to the 1719 Establishment now, so can share the issues in having the frames form the sides of the ports etc.  Do any of your existing drawings  show  the gun  port locations? 

Allan

Edited by allanyed

PLEASE take 30 SECONDS and sign up for the epic Nelson/Trafalgar project if you would like to see it made into a TV series.   Click on http://trafalgar.tv   There is no cost other than the 30 seconds of your time.  THANK YOU

I have the model shipways kit of the Fair american. I would like to build it as a plank on frame instead of a POB. I would also like to show some of the interior of the ship. I have been researching different ship; techniques; sites ;books and the like. I built this ship many years ago as a POB and it turned out fairly well. I am also wanting to know how one would use the sheer and profile plans to increase the number of frames along the keel. I know that the main frames go from the perpendiculars thes the bow are cant frames I like 17th18th century warship mostly however i also like other ships like junks viking and other unusual ships.

The drawings do show the station lines but no room and space. I am trying to learn how to  draw the hull frames using the sheer profile and halfbrethd drwaings. I know that it would be alot of work to build a miodel the way the real ship was built ,however,I think it would be worth the effort. I appreciate all of your thoughts.

Try http://modelshipbuilder.com/page.php?183 and you will find Gene Bodnar's practicum on building the Eagle from scratch as a Plank on Frame ship. The practicum walk step by step through using the plans to construct your frames. How and where to take the measurements off each one and how to plot those measurements onto a framing grid.

Even if you aren't interested in building the Eagle, the practicum is free and is a very good read.

Edited by robnbill

Bill

Chantilly, VA

Its not the size of the ship, but the bore of the cannon!

Current Build: Scratch Build Brig Eagle

Completed Build Log: USS Constitution - Mamoli

Completed Build Gallery: USS Constitution - Mamoli

The following book should answer your questions:

This is not an endorsement of the vendor, just the book: http://www.amazon.com/American-Built-Clipper-Ship-1850-1856-Characteristics/dp/0071358234/ref=pd_sim_sbs_b_3?ie=UTF8&refRID=149PENCFDSR2QBC446BM

Maybe not - I misread your vessel as Wm Webb's Young America, a clipper.

Edited by Jaager

NRG member 45 years

Current:  

HMS Centurion 1732 - 60-gun 4th rate - Navall Timber framing

HMS Beagle 1831 refiit  10-gun brig with a small mizzen - Navall (ish) Timber framing

The U.S. Ex. Ex. 1838-1842
Flying Fish 1838  pilot schooner -  framed - ready for stern timbers
Porpose II  1836  brigantine/brig - framed - ready for hawse and stern timbers
Vincennes  1825  Sloop-of-War  -  timbers assembled, need shaping
Peacock  1828  Sloop-of -War  -  timbers ready for assembly
Sea Gull  1838  pilot schooner -  timbers ready for assembly
Relief  1835  ship - timbers ready for assembly

Other

Portsmouth  1843  Sloop-of-War  -  timbers ready for assembly
Le Commerce de Marseilles  1788   118 cannons - framed

La Renommee 1744 Frigate - framed - ready for hawse and stern timbers

Have a look here:  http://modelshipworldforum.com/ship-model-plans-and-research.php   There's an article on understanding the lines drawings.  There's also articles on using CAD for drawing the frames.

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

Hello Budad,

I think this question is very difficult to simple answer .

The number of bulkheads depends on many factors:

1.Type the ship and the shape of the hull - the greater the curvature of the more bulkhead plating.

In the fore and aft sometimes be placed in smaller istances than amidships. This applies especially to 

historical models of sailing ships.

2.Length and scale of the shipmodel  - for smaller vessels can be applied solid hull instead POB.

3.The dimensions and the material of strips used for planking - possibility  bending of it and also final hull stregth.

A few examples from my  modeling practice:

Fot.1,2 Grosse yacht -Length on waterline 42 cm

Fot.3,4 Norman's ship - Length on waterline 37 cm

Fot.5,6 Esplanade - Length on waterline 95 cm

Happy modellihg,

Tadeusz

My models:
From kits
Vasa, HMS Victory, Le Solei Royale, Friesland
From scratch
HMS Warrior 1860, Esplanade, Grosse Yacht
Norman’s ship, HMS Speedy, La Royale