Hannah by cwboland - FINISHED – Amati – Scale 1:300 Ship in Bottle

Hi Carl:

Looks great! I'm very interested to see how things go getting it into the bottle.....As I recall from an old build log on another (now defunct) forum, Dry Dock Models - it's archived on this modellers website and if you haven't seen it, here's the link

http://s.kahn.lyshanpress.com/blog/blog4.php/hannah-1775-amati-ship-in/

There's a little right-pointing arrow at the top-right of the pages that allows you to navigate - there are some instructive photos and description of placing the model into the bottle.....hope this helps - or if you've seen it already apologies for the duplication!

hamilton

current builds: Corel HMS Bellona (1780); Admiralty models Echo cross-section (semi-scratch)

previous builds: MS Phantom (scuttled, 2017); MS Sultana (1767); Corel Brittany Sloop (scuttled, 2022); MS Kate Cory; MS Armed Virginia Sloop (in need of a refit); Corel Flattie; Mamoli Gretel; Amati Bluenose (1921) (scuttled, 2023); AL San Francisco (destroyed by land krakens [i.e., cats]); Corel Toulonnaise (1823); 
MS Glad Tidings (1937) (in need of a refit)HMS Blandford (1719) from Corel HMS GreyhoundFair Rosamund (1832) from OcCre Dos Amigos (missing in action); Amati Hannah (ship in a bottle); Mamoli America (1851)Bluenose fishing schooner (1921) (scratch); Off-Centre Sailing Skiff (scratch)

under the bench: MS Emma C Barry; MS USS Constitution; MS Flying Fish; Corel Berlin; a wood supplier Colonial Schooner Hannah; Victory Models H.M.S. Fly; CAF Models HMS Granado; MS USS Confederacy

Hamilton,

Thank you for the read. I hadn't seen that archive before. I will have to keep some of his tips and tricks in mind during the next couple of steps while inserting Hannah into the bottle.

Carl

Completed builds: AL Bluenose II 1:75  Gallery
                              Amati Hannah SIB 1:300  Gallery

Current Build: Bluenose II - SIB - unknown scale

Thanks Hamilton for that link.  Carl, I had the same experience with the insertion tool that the guy in the thread above had as well.  I'm thinking about other alternatives like blue-tac or something else.

Mike

Current Wooden builds:  Amati/Victory Pegasus  MS Charles W. Morgan  Euromodel La Renommèe  

Plastic builds:    SB2U-1 Vindicator 1/48  Five Star Yaeyama 1/700  Pit Road Asashio and Akashi 1/700 diorama  Walrus 1/48 and Albatross 1/700  Special Hobby Buffalo 1/32  Eduard Sikorsky JRS-1 1/72  IJN Notoro 1/700  Akitsu Maru 1/700

Completed builds :  Caldercraft Brig Badger   Amati Hannah - Ship in Bottle  Pit Road Hatsuzakura 1/700   Hasegawa Shimakaze 1:350

F4B-4 and P-6E 1/72  Accurate Miniatures F3F-1/F3F-2 1/48  Tamiya F4F-4 Wildcat built as FM-1 1/48  Special Hobby Buffalo 1/48

Citroen 2CV 1/24 - Airfix and Tamiya  Entex Morgan 3-wheeler 1/16

Terminated build:  HMS Lyme (based on Corel Unicorn)  

On the shelf:  Euromodel Friedrich Wilhelm zu Pferde; Caldercraft Victory; too many plastic ship, plane and car kits

Future potential scratch builds:  HMS Lyme (from NMM plans); Le Gros Ventre (from Ancre monographs), Dutch ship from Ab Hoving book, HMS Sussex from McCardle book, Philadelphia gunboat (Smithsonian plans)

No problem all! Didn't take much - I have it bookmarked for the time I start on this same kit.....hope you all find it useful - I know I'll be referring back to your logs when the time comes....

hamilton

current builds: Corel HMS Bellona (1780); Admiralty models Echo cross-section (semi-scratch)

previous builds: MS Phantom (scuttled, 2017); MS Sultana (1767); Corel Brittany Sloop (scuttled, 2022); MS Kate Cory; MS Armed Virginia Sloop (in need of a refit); Corel Flattie; Mamoli Gretel; Amati Bluenose (1921) (scuttled, 2023); AL San Francisco (destroyed by land krakens [i.e., cats]); Corel Toulonnaise (1823); 
MS Glad Tidings (1937) (in need of a refit)HMS Blandford (1719) from Corel HMS GreyhoundFair Rosamund (1832) from OcCre Dos Amigos (missing in action); Amati Hannah (ship in a bottle); Mamoli America (1851)Bluenose fishing schooner (1921) (scratch); Off-Centre Sailing Skiff (scratch)

under the bench: MS Emma C Barry; MS USS Constitution; MS Flying Fish; Corel Berlin; a wood supplier Colonial Schooner Hannah; Victory Models H.M.S. Fly; CAF Models HMS Granado; MS USS Confederacy

• 2 weeks later...

Hey Carl, not sure if you already got your model into the bottle or finished it.  I got my model into the bottle last night and raised the masts.  I need a little more time tonight to arrange the sails a little better and she will be done.  It was getting late, and I didn't want to make any mistakes from being tired or otherwise rush it.

I'll try to post my log tonight, but if I can't get to it, I just wanted to pass along a couple of tidbits.  The insertion process is very stressful!  First, I couldn't get the rear mast folded down due to the way that I ran the rigging.  For some reason, the jib staysail (the inner one) was restricting the mast from fully lowering.  I ended up having to cut the line from the top of the main mast, tied that line (on which the jib staysail was) to one of the spars, and ran a separate line from the top of the main mast to the exit hole.  So, make sure your masts can be fully folded down.

Once that issue was resolved, I tried to figure out a better tool to insert it into the bottle than the string technique the kit calls for.  The model is too heavy for the string technique in my experience (or it needs perfect execution to work).  I ended up taking a piece of annealed copper wire, bent it to the same configuration as the other metal piece, and then taped it to the handle.  When the ship was in the bottle, I cut the tape and pulled out both halves of the tool.  

The bottle opening is incredibly tight.  I filed down the inside bottom edge of the bottle to help push it in.  Even then, it required heavier pressure to insert than I was expecting.  It was that tight even with the fact that I had sanded off the keel bottom since I added sea to the bottle.  Once inside the bottle, I used the insertion tool and other tools to pull the masts up and position the sails.  Be careful to do it slowly, and watch for any bent masts,  The top of my main mast was bent somehow through the process, which was a little tricky to straighten out.  The bottle is pretty narrow inside, making any tool work pretty tricky.  The key I think is to make sure the ship is firmly glued to the bottom of the bottle so that you can pull the masts up.

Anyway, don't mean to scare you or anything, just wanted to make sure that you were prepared.  I'll let you know when I get my log up, but otherwise, let me know if you have any questions. :)

Mike

Current Wooden builds:  Amati/Victory Pegasus  MS Charles W. Morgan  Euromodel La Renommèe  

Plastic builds:    SB2U-1 Vindicator 1/48  Five Star Yaeyama 1/700  Pit Road Asashio and Akashi 1/700 diorama  Walrus 1/48 and Albatross 1/700  Special Hobby Buffalo 1/32  Eduard Sikorsky JRS-1 1/72  IJN Notoro 1/700  Akitsu Maru 1/700

Completed builds :  Caldercraft Brig Badger   Amati Hannah - Ship in Bottle  Pit Road Hatsuzakura 1/700   Hasegawa Shimakaze 1:350

F4B-4 and P-6E 1/72  Accurate Miniatures F3F-1/F3F-2 1/48  Tamiya F4F-4 Wildcat built as FM-1 1/48  Special Hobby Buffalo 1/48

On the shelf:  Euromodel Friedrich Wilhelm zu Pferde; Caldercraft Victory; too many plastic ship, plane and car kits

Future potential scratch builds:  HMS Lyme (from NMM plans); Le Gros Ventre (from Ancre monographs), Dutch ship from Ab Hoving book, HMS Sussex from McCardle book, Philadelphia gunboat (Smithsonian plans)

Thanks for the heads up Mike. No, I haven't had time to insert my ship in the bottle yet. Been delaying the process. I'm thinking of making a little stand for the bottle to rest on for displaying before I actually put her in. I have some scrap Douglas Fir that looks like it would work for this. I'll be posting updates when I have time to work on it, hopefully this weekend.

Carl

Hi Carl

I made the Amati Golden Yacht kit a year ago.

Here is a youtube link - showing the build:

I found that using a surgical alligator forceps (obtained  from ebay ) worked nice to hold the end

of the ship when inserting it in the bottle.

I made my own stand and first glued it to the base of the bottle before inserting the ship.

Current Build - Confederacy

Completed Builds - Amati Revenge, USN Picket, US Brig Syren, Mayflower, Hannah SIB, Concord Stagecoach

Completed Scratch Build - Ship in Bottle

Great work on the Amati Carl.  It's a tough build especially getting it into the bottle.  Mike's given some great advice.  

If your interested in ship in bottle techniques the best websites out there, at least in my opinion, I've put in the links section of my blog.  http://www.siemensbottlingco.blogspot.com/p/links.html

I especially recommend the Facebook forum and Michael Bardet's website and Folk art in Bottles.  There's a lot of great information out there.  Good luck getting her in the bottle.  For as tough as it can be it's the most satisfying part.  

• 2 weeks later...

Finally back in the shipyard and work continues on the Hannah.

Built a small wooden stand, similar to the one in the link that Hamilton (post #31) provided a while ago. This was crafted with some spare Douglas Fir I had laying around in the shop. Simple construction was the key here. I just had to narrow the two pieces I was using, as the original boards were about 6” wide and too big for what I needed.

post-12110-0-67400500-1427220050_thumb.jpgpost-12110-0-18423600-1427220045_thumb.jpg

post-12110-0-55244100-1427220039_thumb.jpg

I was able to finish the stand using a water-based semi-gloss finish from Minwax. Three coats of this (similar application to a WOP) and it's as smooth as glass with a mild sheen to it.

I also managed to get the ship's stand into the bottle. Using the tool provided, I placed some tape on the stand and applied some CA to the brass wire and placed it on the tape. I found this easier than using two-sided tape on the wire and trying to get it to stick to the brass sheet on the stand. Five minute epoxy was then applied to the bottom of the stand, and the whole assembly was slid into the bottle. The location for the stand was determined using a sheet of paper, with the outline of the stand traced onto it, taped to the bottom side of the bottle.

post-12110-0-24402300-1427220055_thumb.jpg

After about ten or fifteen minutes, the brass tool and tape were removed as the epoxy had cured enough that it would not move if pressure was applied to it.

I also had to perform some minor surgery on the Hannah herself. If you look back to the placing of the brass keel, it sticks down below the hull too far. This was causing issues with the test insertions into the bottle I did. Using some of the Admirals nail polish remover, I was able to un-stick the CA that I used for gluing the keel in place, cleaned out the slot, and re-laid the keel.

post-12110-0-05114000-1427220059_thumb.jpg

Carl

Thank you all for the likes, comments and ideas.

@Daniel - I'll have to check out some of those links. I've got a couple more bottles laying around that might make some good SIB builds, or maybe that truck and excavator Igor posted in the Unusual Builds thread

@b dylan - Great video and good idea with using the forceps. I was thinking about getting a set, either new or from some doctor friends. Just haven't been able to find the time.

Carl

Nice work Carl, good luck with the next step!  Would be cool if you joined the rest of us in continuing on with SIBs.  I did it as a check the box for my bucket list, but now I'm pretty addicted to it.

Mike

Just a small update today. Re-painted the keel after the surgery from the last post. I also borrowed Mike's idea to paint the seal on the bottle cap.

post-12110-0-27205000-1427476080_thumb.jpg

Still some minor touch-ups to do. All the colours I used are Tamiya acrylics, except the grey. I used Model Master Steel for the grey, as I thought it looked more like a knights helmet than any of the other greys I have lying around.

There does seem to be some clouding on the brass plate on the stand in the bottle that is probably from the CA used to place it in the bottle. Any ideas on how to clean that off? I was thinking some acetone on a cotton swab, probably some more of the Admirals nail polish remover. You should be able to see it in the below picture, on either side of the tape.

post-12110-0-15284600-1427476082_thumb.jpg

Next update should be inserting the Hannah into her final resting place in the bottle, raising the sails, and corking the bottle.

Carl

Hi Carl. Just found your log. Your Hannah came out nicely. I built her too. And because it was fun I bought the Amati Golden Yacht too which is a little more detailed than the Hannah. But same principle and fun to build too. If you are interested you will find both bottles and more in the gallery in my profile here in MSW. 

I saw that you glued the stand already inside the bottle. Because I was scared not being able to sit the Hannah straight on that 4 pins i soldered two little brass   "V" on the front and aft pin to make the landing area for the ship bigger. It worked out pretty well. If you want to do the same: Just one hit with a screwdriver under the stand and it will come out again. Then you can clean it easily too. Best is acetone to remove CA. Wishing you luck with the bottling process. Take your time and don't rush. It is no rocket science. The result will make you happy. 

Harry

Great work so far. Looking forward to seeing how easily she goes in. I am nervous for getting her to settle onto the stand and its pegs. 

I remain obediently yours,

Nathan

_______

In the shipyard: 

Billings Boats Karoline - R/C 

Amanti Hannah - SIB

MSW Fair American (Still on the drafting floor)

“Inside my empty bottle I was constructing a lighthouse while all the others were making ships.” - Charles Simic

“Men go back to the mountains, as they go back to sailing ships at sea, because in the mountains and on the sea they must face up.” - Henry David Thoreau

Thanks Nathan. Hopefully I will be posting an update tomorrow or on the weekend. We'll see how fast I can get over this head cold. Just can't seem to see straight or concentrate real well, and need that so as not to break anything in the process.

Carl

Finally managed to insert the Hannah into the bottle. Took a little bit of fiddling to get in to sit on the stand properly, but I managed to do it without having to file down the neck of the bottle itself.

post-12110-0-69092300-1428093552_thumb.jpgpost-12110-0-45501100-1428093547_thumb.jpg

That was a couple of days ago. Had to let the epoxy set up enough to raise the masts and tie off the pull lines.

post-12110-0-88334900-1428093557_thumb.jpgpost-12110-0-78614300-1428093563_thumb.jpg

Finally complete, got the cork on the bottle. Used clear indoor/outdoor silicone to seal the cork in place rather than epoxy or CA, as the silicone can be removed if the ship needs to be stood upright in the event of an accident.

post-12110-0-34519000-1428093543_thumb.jpgpost-12110-0-30558900-1428093537_thumb.jpg

Finally complete, she sits pride of place right next to the Bluenose II on top of the (current) china cabinet. The Admiral suggests that I build a dedicated shelf for the two of them. I have to find the time to be able to do that among all the other projects she's got me doing right now.

So ends my version of the Amati Armed Schooner Hannah SIB.

Carl

Congratulations on a very fine build Carl. What's next (after the Admiral's "honey-do" list that is)?

Hello Carl, your Hannah is beautiful. You did a great job .Congratulations. :) :)

Cheers

Dimitris

Current Build: Amerigo Vespucci -Mantua- 1:100 scale

Completed Build logs: Bluenose II AL 1:75 scale

Gallery: Bluenose II AL 1:75 scale

Future Build: Royal Caroline -Panart- 1:47 scale

Hey Carl, very nice job!  Looks like you managed to get it inserted without a hitch, congratulations!

So are you going to do any other SIBs?  I think I'm hooked, but I'm going to go the scratch route for my next builds.

Mike

Completely agree Mike. I think I'm hooked too. Might look into plans for a Bluenose that I can scale to fit into a 26oz bottle of Rye. Would be a great gift for a buddy of mine.

Carl

Congratulations. She looks great!

I remain obediently yours,

Nathan

_______

In the shipyard: 

Billings Boats Karoline - R/C 

Amanti Hannah - SIB

MSW Fair American (Still on the drafting floor)

“Inside my empty bottle I was constructing a lighthouse while all the others were making ships.” - Charles Simic

“Men go back to the mountains, as they go back to sailing ships at sea, because in the mountains and on the sea they must face up.” - Henry David Thoreau

Awesome job Carl.  She looks great.  The lines are nice and tight and I like the wood stand you've made.  

Thanks all for the comments and likes, or just generally checking in to see my progress. Hannah now sits in front of the Bluenose II I recently completed on top of the china cabinet until I can built a shelf for all these models that keep coming my way.

Carl