s/s Mariefred by burnside63 - FINISHED - Nordic Class Boats

Hi Burnside,

..... Sound like you are investing in your Hobby for smooth modeling, great so,.....

am curious to see the Progress, the S/S Mariefred is a fine looking Steamer I like very much

Nils

Current builds

-Lightship Elbe 1

Completed

- Steamship Ergenstrasse ex Laker Corsicana 1918- scale 1:87 scratchbuild

"Zeesboot"  heritage wooden fishing small craft around 1870, POB  clinker scratch build scale 1:24

Pilot Schooner # 5 ELBE  ex Wanderbird, scale 1:50 scratchbuild

Mississippi Sterwheelsteamer built as christmapresent for grandson modified kit build

Chebec "Eagle of Algier" 1753--scale 1:48-POB-(scratchbuild) 

"SS Kaiser Wilhelm der Grosse" four stacker passenger liner of 1897, blue ribbond awarded, 1:144 (scratchbuild)
"HMS Pegasus" , 16 gun sloop, Swan-Class 1776-1777 scale 1:64 from Amati plan 

-"Pamir" 4-mast barque, P-liner, 1:96  (scratchbuild)

-"Gorch Fock 2" German Navy cadet training 3-mast barque, 1:95 (scratchbuild) 

"Heinrich Kayser" heritage Merchant Steamship, 1:96 (scratchbuild)  original was my grandfathers ship

-"Bohuslän" , heritage ,live Swedish museum passenger steamer (Billings kit), 1:50 

"Lorbas", river tug, steam driven for RC, fictive design (scratchbuild), scale appr. 1:32

under restoration / restoration finished 

"Hjejlen" steam paddlewheeler, 1861, Billings Boats rare old kit, scale 1:50

• 5 months later...

Finally back making some progress.  I have almost everything painted.  The wiring has been run and the lower deck lights hooked up.  I need to install the window glazing yet.  Going to frost it a bit to lower the ability to see the wiring and such.  Working on the benches on the main desk also.  This almost feels like a plastic model now.  Most of the major work is done.  Now time to complete painting and do assembly.  Many of my coming weekends are busy, so I will not have much time to truly focus on the build.  I hope to finish her by the end of the month.  Hope you enjoy the photos.

post-619-0-98900800-1443300868_thumb.jpg

post-619-0-74557000-1443300869_thumb.jpg

post-619-0-33113700-1443300870_thumb.jpg

post-619-0-02283300-1443300871_thumb.jpg

• 2 months later...

Looks very nice Burnside,

good progress, the shape of this old Steamer is coming out beautifully....

Nils

Current builds

-Lightship Elbe 1

Completed

- Steamship Ergenstrasse ex Laker Corsicana 1918- scale 1:87 scratchbuild

"Zeesboot"  heritage wooden fishing small craft around 1870, POB  clinker scratch build scale 1:24

Pilot Schooner # 5 ELBE  ex Wanderbird, scale 1:50 scratchbuild

Mississippi Sterwheelsteamer built as christmapresent for grandson modified kit build

Chebec "Eagle of Algier" 1753--scale 1:48-POB-(scratchbuild) 

"SS Kaiser Wilhelm der Grosse" four stacker passenger liner of 1897, blue ribbond awarded, 1:144 (scratchbuild)
"HMS Pegasus" , 16 gun sloop, Swan-Class 1776-1777 scale 1:64 from Amati plan 

-"Pamir" 4-mast barque, P-liner, 1:96  (scratchbuild)

-"Gorch Fock 2" German Navy cadet training 3-mast barque, 1:95 (scratchbuild) 

"Heinrich Kayser" heritage Merchant Steamship, 1:96 (scratchbuild)  original was my grandfathers ship

-"Bohuslän" , heritage ,live Swedish museum passenger steamer (Billings kit), 1:50 

"Lorbas", river tug, steam driven for RC, fictive design (scratchbuild), scale appr. 1:32

under restoration / restoration finished 

"Hjejlen" steam paddlewheeler, 1861, Billings Boats rare old kit, scale 1:50

Burnside63, That very nice. I like the warm glow. How about a christmas tree on the foredeck. All this types of ships had a tree during christmas time.

Edited by Nirvana

Please, visit our Facebook page!

Respectfully

Per aka Dr. Per@Therapy for Shipaholics 
593661798_Keepitreal-small.jpg.f8a2526a43b30479d4c1ffcf8b37175a.jpg

Finished: T37, BB Marie Jeanne - located on a shelf in Sweden, 18th Century Longboat, Winchelsea Capstan

Current: America by Constructo, Solö Ruff, USS Syren by MS, Bluenose by MS

Viking funeral: Harley almost a Harvey

Nautical Research Guild Member - 'Taint a hobby if you gotta hurry

I am truly enjoying this build.  Building her sister ship will happen.  Probably not right away, but it will happen.  My wife has asked that I build a couple of Occre's trams.  The good side is that she would like me to include the power trucks with them and lay some track around the house to watch them run. 

Burnside63, or what your name is....

I am glad to hear you have an Admiral requesting for something different than a ship.

You have great support!

To bad this is not the right forum that build, but please provide us all for a link to that tram or two, I am certainly looking forward to a build log.

Respectfully

Finished: T37, BB Marie Jeanne - located on a shelf in Sweden, 18th Century Longboat, Winchelsea Capstan

• 4 weeks later...

Thanks. Yes, I am very lucky that my wife supports this hobby.

Well, the Mariefred is done. My only complaint was the decals. The first one completely disintegrated a soon as it touched water. I clear coated the rest and had no problems. Ages of Sail, you will see my next order later today.

Edited by burnside63

• 1 year later...
On 2016-01-17 at 9:40 PM, burnside63 said:

Thanks. Yes, I am very lucky that my wife supports this hobby.

Well, the Mariefred is done. My only complaint was the decals. The first one completely disintegrated a soon as it touched water. I clear coated the rest and had no problems. Ages of Sail, you will see my next order later today.

Experienced the same problem as you did with the decals, only with the issue that all the decals "broke" when I tried to place them on the ship, although I´ve used Micro Set. Now I´m trying to get in contact with the manufacturer to buy a new set of decals, but that seems quite hard. Last option is to print by my self.

Burnside,

Your final Mariefred looks great, but I would change the flag as the one flying is not correct for Sweden.

Take a look the correct one.

Respectfully

• 5 months later...

I've been trying to find information on the quality of the Nordic models and in particular the Mariefred that I'm considering building, so the threads provided by the above contributors, and in particular brunside 63, is extremely helpful and much appreciated. Thanks!

• 1 year later...

Well done!

Building: 1:64 HMS Revenge (Victory Models plans)

1:64 Cat Esther (17th Century Dutch Merchant Ships)

On the building slip: 1:72 French Ironclad Magenta (original shipyard plans)

On hold: 1:98 Mantua HMS Victory (kit bash), 1:96 Shipyard HMS Mercury

Favorite finished builds:  1:60 Sampang Good Fortune (Amati plans), 1:200 Orel Ironclad Solferino, 1:72 Schooner Hannah (Hahn plans), 1:72 Privateer Prince de Neufchatel (Chapelle plans), Model Shipways Sultana, Heller La Reale, Encore USS Olympia

Goal: Become better than I was yesterday

"The hardest part is deciding to try." - me