HMS AGAMEMNON by PMG - Caldercraft

Hi George,

Thanks for the comment.

I sanded the front fascia and I shall do a new attempt using an aerograph. The Caldercraft french blue will so be a little bit diluted and, may be, not so dark.

Presently, I am finishing the lining of the gunports of the starboard siide. I hope it will be done for the end of this week.

Pierre

• 2 weeks later...

Finally, some progress.

I finished the lining of the gunports without lids of the starboard side.

I am now ready to start a new phase in the construction of my Aggie.

Fist picture: the finished side.

Second picture: pieces are ready to start with the quarter galleries.

post-1601-0-16953200-1386255439_thumb.jpg

post-1601-0-14437400-1386255476_thumb.jpg

About the front fascia, I completely sanded it again and painted white.

My first attempt is for today. But, it's the first time in my live that I am using an aerograph and I am a little bit anxious about the result...

Pierre

Hi Pierre I'm really looking forward to the quarter deck galleries.

Regarding the aerograph : I must admit I'm as unexperienced as you are.

This may sound funny but lately  I've purchased some WW II planes on a 1/32 scale in order to acquire some experience regarding that matter.

Perhaps Santa Claus will give me a compressor ?

I'll post some pics of the unopened boxes  in the "shore leave" section the coming W.E.

Kind regards

Christian

"The original always beats the copy"

(supportive statement)

Hello Christian,

Thank you for your kind comments.

About the aerograph, I acquired mine by the way from Lidl. It was not expensive at all.

The compressorand all other pieces are looking fine. It's ,of course, to be used with water paint.

It sprays very well, and I obtained not too bad results on a test plank.

But, again, the result on the front fascia is horrible. May be that the bottom was too glad, because painted in white?

May be was my painting too diluted? But it's already less diluted thad in the instructions.

Any way, several layers are necessary, but that's not a problem and even better.

Be careful if you paint on plastic. Obviously if you are using water soluble paint.

I think, I will go back to the brush...

Pierre

Hi Christian,

I am coming back on the aerograph and send hereafter a picture of mine.

post-1601-0-81128700-1386412083_thumb.jpg

I made a new tentative of painting the front fascia not too dark.

This time I used the brush and I diluted the Jotika french blue with a couple of drops of water.

The resut, again, was not good for my point of view.

I realised that the problem comes from the dilution. The instructions of thr aerograph tell you have to dilute your paint, what I did.

Apparently, the jotika admiralty paint don't like water dilution at all.

Next step, without dilution, but, may be a little bit too dark...

Pierre

Thank you very much Pierre.

Much appreciated, the more is :  I'm more than ever convinced to puchase such a tool.

Maybe the dark color will result in a nice contrast with the coming details : strips, ornaments ?

Kind regards

Christian

(supportive statement)

Hi Christian,

I finally putted a second layer (with the brush) and I mixed the paint with 2 drops of white.

After a good mixing, you don't have very much time because it dries very quickly.

But now, I am happy with the result.

I send a photography when it is completely dry.

Pierre

Persistence will always pay off Pierre, well done for sticking with it.

Be Good

mobbsie

mobbsie
All mistakes are deliberate ( me )

Current Build:- HMS Schooner Pickle

Completed Builds :-   Panart 1/16 Armed Launch / Pinnace ( Completed ),  Granado Cross Section 1/48

Harwich Bawley, Restoration,  Thames Barge Edme, Repair / Restoration,  Will Everard 1/67 Billings 

HMS Agamemnon 1781 - 1/64 Caldercraft KitHM Brig Badger,  HM Bomb Vessel Granado,
Thames Steam Launch Louise,  Thames Barge Edme,  Viking Dragon Boat

Next Build :-  

• 3 weeks later...

Here is a picture of the front fascia finally painted and fixed.

I diluted the Caldercraft french blue with a little bit of white and I used the brush and not the aerograph.

post-1601-0-91400800-1387880798_thumb.jpg

I take the opportunity to wish a merry Christmas to all the friends reading this post!

Pierre

I am now in the South of France for some weeks (looking for a better weather??) and so, there is no more progress on my Aggie.

I wish to all friends a very happy (shipbuilding, as Christian said) New Year!

Best regards

Pierre (coming back soon)

Nice job on the bulkhead Pierre, well done for sticking with it and getting the colour right, that's looking much better.

I wish you and your a very Happy New Year and many happy hours of modelling.

Be Good

mobbsie

mobbsie

Completed Builds :-   Panart 1/16 Armed Launch / Pinnace ( Completed ),  Granado Cross Section 1/48

Harwich Bawley, Restoration,  Thames Barge Edme, Repair / Restoration,  Will Everard 1/67 Billings 

HMS Agamemnon 1781 - 1/64 Caldercraft KitHM Brig Badger,  HM Bomb Vessel Granado,

I finally came back a little bit earlier than foreseen (aniway, the weather in the South of France was not so nice...) and that's a good news for my Aggie.

I first planked the stern gallery deck.

And that's not such an obvious job. As the deck is curved, I decided to plank it curved too to avoid distortion of the planking once in place.

post-1601-0-46759000-1389266021_thumb.jpg

And then, I glued it very carefully in position.

You will notice that (inspird by Mobbsie) I made a little checker after the wall. I don't know if it is useful or not.

I think that it will be completely invisible from outside...

post-1601-0-73598500-1389266256_thumb.jpg

Once completely dried, I made a first attempt to temporarily fix the stern fascia.

Here, a lot of chamfering is required to have it right in place. It's very important but it works well.

post-1601-0-49600000-1389266439_thumb.jpg

Now serious things can begin, such as fixing the edges.

Pictures will come later.

Pierre

Very nice work Pierre, coming along beautifully.  

Mike

Current Wooden builds:  Amati/Victory Pegasus  MS Charles W. Morgan  Euromodel La Renommèe  

Plastic builds:    SB2U-1 Vindicator 1/48  Five Star Yaeyama 1/700  Pit Road Asashio and Akashi 1/700 diorama  Walrus 1/48 and Albatross 1/700  Special Hobby Buffalo 1/32  Eduard Sikorsky JRS-1 1/72  IJN Notoro 1/700  Akitsu Maru 1/700

Completed builds :  Caldercraft Brig Badger   Amati Hannah - Ship in Bottle  Pit Road Hatsuzakura 1/700   Hasegawa Shimakaze 1:350

F4B-4 and P-6E 1/72  Accurate Miniatures F3F-1/F3F-2 1/48  Tamiya F4F-4 Wildcat built as FM-1 1/48  Special Hobby Buffalo 1/48

Citroen 2CV 1/24 - Airfix and Tamiya  Entex Morgan 3-wheeler 1/16

Terminated build:  HMS Lyme (based on Corel Unicorn)  

On the shelf:  Euromodel Friedrich Wilhelm zu Pferde; Caldercraft Victory; too many plastic ship, plane and car kits

Future potential scratch builds:  HMS Lyme (from NMM plans); Le Gros Ventre (from Ancre monographs), Dutch ship from Ab Hoving book, HMS Sussex from McCardle book, Philadelphia gunboat (Smithsonian plans)

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Finally back after a long absence.

The quarter galleries appeared to be more complicated than expected.

An extreme accuracy is absolutely necessary if you want to avoid an extensive use of filler. That's my case.

After a first attempt I decided to remove all parts and to restart completely.

Angles and parallelism are extremely important and a mistake ca definitively spoil your model.

I finally discovered that pinning was much more efficient for the temporary fixing than rubber bands.

Here is the present status of my quarter galleries.

post-1601-0-78559600-1394996853_thumb.jpg

And now a view of my Aggie as she is today.

post-1601-0-41054500-1394996920_thumb.jpg

You will notice that I temporarly fixed the lower pattern (34) and the finishing casting.

These parts will be removed before starting the second planking. They are just there to see how it looks, and they still need some further adjustment. But forming the patterns necessitated the use of my Dremel machine, it means a lot of dust, and I was obliged (by the Admiral, of course) to wait for better weather to do it outside..

Best greetings to all of you,

Pierre.

nice work Pierre,

well done !

thats a good base for the second planking, I would love to see...

Nils

Current builds

-Lightship Elbe 1

Completed

- Steamship Ergenstrasse ex Laker Corsicana 1918- scale 1:87 scratchbuild

"Zeesboot"  heritage wooden fishing small craft around 1870, POB  clinker scratch build scale 1:24

Pilot Schooner # 5 ELBE  ex Wanderbird, scale 1:50 scratchbuild

Mississippi Sterwheelsteamer built as christmapresent for grandson modified kit build

Chebec "Eagle of Algier" 1753--scale 1:48-POB-(scratchbuild) 

"SS Kaiser Wilhelm der Grosse" four stacker passenger liner of 1897, blue ribbond awarded, 1:144 (scratchbuild)
"HMS Pegasus" , 16 gun sloop, Swan-Class 1776-1777 scale 1:64 from Amati plan 

-"Pamir" 4-mast barque, P-liner, 1:96  (scratchbuild)

-"Gorch Fock 2" German Navy cadet training 3-mast barque, 1:95 (scratchbuild) 

"Heinrich Kayser" heritage Merchant Steamship, 1:96 (scratchbuild)  original was my grandfathers ship

-"Bohuslän" , heritage ,live Swedish museum passenger steamer (Billings kit), 1:50 

"Lorbas", river tug, steam driven for RC, fictive design (scratchbuild), scale appr. 1:32

under restoration / restoration finished 

"Hjejlen" steam paddlewheeler, 1861, Billings Boats rare old kit, scale 1:50

Hi Pierre,

Good to have you back in the shipyard mate. Been a while.

Your stern galleries are coming along nicely mate and are looking good, their not as easy as you think and do require a lot of attention. It's good to know she still has a sting in her tail though.

Your outside pics of her are really good and show just what a big beast she is.

Keep up this splendid work.

Be Good

mobbsie

mobbsie

Hi Pierre,

To mention mobbsie, it's good you're back in the shipbuilding business. I sincerely wish I could do the same.

It is a good thing to emphasize on the complexity of the stern & quarterdeck galleries. All these parts are related one to another. Being just a frigate,  I've suffered enough on my Diana... 

Kind regards

Christian

(supportive statement)

Awesome build! i found this thread to be very inspiring,

As a starter in the hobby myself, i'm gonna practise on other kits before attempting a larger build like this one.

but eventually I will make the investment (in time and money :) ) to attempt caldercrafts aggy as well, she's such a beauty *Goal Set*

Laat in ieder geval de trappistjes je smaken!

Pierre, shes looking great.  I can only imagine the amount of work to get all the gunports cut and lined.  Beautiful photos, but I am jealous of your weather, we still have snow on the ground and the temperatures way below freezing :mellow:

Cheers,

Jason

"Which it will be ready when it is ready!"

In the shipyard:

HMS Jason (c.1794: Artois Class 38 gun frigate)

Queen Anne Royal Barge (c.1700)

Finished:

HMS Snake (c.1797: Cruizer Class, ship rigged sloop)

I finally finished with the quarter galleries and am ready to begin the second planking.

My quarter galleries are not so nice as expected, but it's not their final appearance and some adjustments will be possible later.

For the second planking, I shall also make planks of 12,5 cm. I think it's a good idea and also much easier to put in place.

Thank you  to all friendly "like's" and messages.

To Nils, Mobbsie and Christian,

thank you for your kind words, I try (slowly) to do my best...

To Glawen,

I hope to see you soon with an Aggie or another build.

Trappist is always helpful, but much better outsine when the weather is nice. And that's OK when you make too much dust!

To Jason,

cutting and aligning the gunports was really a long and fastidious work, but I tried to do my best using more than often the calliper square. I tried to have them right with an accuracy of 0,1 to 0,2mm, I think it will pay back in the future.

About the weather, we had here a couple of fine days. But I think it's over now. About snow, I have the impression you kept all in North America this yearand left nothing for us. I already permuted the winter tyres to the summer one's.

To Klaas,

I follow also with very much interest your buildlog full of good ideas (such as your galley floor).

Your Aggie is coming out very nicely. I started mine more than 3 years ago, and I think that you will soon pass me over...

Who is the fastest? Mobbsie or you, or , may be, Sjors? I am surely not!

post-1601-0-58017000-1395505076_thumb.jpg

post-1601-0-29994600-1395505114_thumb.jpg

Pierre

I started my second planking using planks 125mm long.

It handles pretty well and takes easily the curvature. Longer would be more hazardous.

But I HATE CYANO!

I prefer from far PVA, but everybody recommends cyano for the second planking.

So it did it too. I started with the planks that will be covered by the wales. If it's not well done, I don't care because, anyway, it will be covered.

Actually, it works. It's fast and all, except for my fingers because I cannot use cyano without putting some on my fingers.

And so, I am obliged to stop after laying 5 or 6 planks...

Pictures are following soon,

Pierre

It is good to make the planks for 2 planking 125 mm, that works better, besides that, it was about the same ss on the original.

My work will be al little different,  because my whales (top and butt system) will be directly on the the first planking, and 2 mm, when second planking is placed, i will have the same result.

I don't know who buils the fastest, the main goal is to learn from each other.

So kep up the good work, and looking forward for your pictures :)

Current build: HMS Agamemnon 1781

Welcome to the club Pierre, I've forgotten how many times my fingers have been glued together with that stuff. A little or a lot of nail varnish remover will do the clean up for but my guess is that you already know.

A word of warning my friend, on page 9 of the manual under the heading "Hull Side Fittings" it mentions the Bow Timber Heads, it tells us to drill a 2mm hole to take the Main Stay Collar, this is the only mention of this, on sheet plan 9 there is a diagram showing the Bow Sprit and how the Collars ( Main & Preventer ) fit around it. There is no further mention of using the Timber Heads at all.

I have just ripped out my old Timber Heads and replaced them with new undrilled ones, also there are two eyebolts in each Timber Head, it's going to be a lot easier to fit these before you place the Timber Heads onto the ship.

Hope this is a help as you get further into your build.

Hopefully Klaas will read this too.

Be Good

mobbsie

Edited by mobbsie

mobbsie