Another rookie question - Can I Clean Up the Keel With A Dremel

Sorry for all the entry level stuff guys. You must get sick of it after awhile. Can I use a Dremel tool to clean up the keel rather then a chisel? I have never used chisels before and not too keen on using one... I plan to use a drum sander as well as one of these....

http://www.dremel.com/en-us/Accessories/Pages/ProductDetail.aspx?pid=512E

Of course I will do the planing of the lower keel first. Just trying to learn the ropes so to speak. UGGH the ropes. I have NO experience with knots. I am definitely in trouble there aren't I?

Current/But Not immediate Build Logs

I am still gathering the tools I need but starting preliminary work. Nothing to show just yet.

Fair American

Armed Virginia Sloop.

I would suggest a test of the tool and your skill on a scrap piece so you can determine if it is adequate for you.

Might take some practice/ multiple attempts before you can decide.

Alan O'Neill
"only dead fish go with the flow"   :dancetl6:

Ongoing Build (31 Dec 2013) - HMS BELLEROPHON (1786), POF scratch build, scale 1:64, 74 gun 3rd rate Man of War, Arrogant Class

Member of the Model Shipwrights of Niagara, Niagara Region, Ontario, Canada (2016), and the Nautical Research Guild (since 2014)

Associate member of the Nautical Research and Model Ship Society (2021)

Offshore member of The Society of Model Shipwrights (2021)

Try the chisel and knife - on some scrap first - the chisel and knife are easily controlled and will be needed constantly through your modeling and while power tools are great and I use them a lot,  the Dremel can be a very aggressive cutter and can get away from you and can ruin a piece of work very fast.  Try both methods on scrap and then go with the one that works best for you.

Kurt

Kurt Van Dahm

Director

NAUTICAL RESEARCH GUILD

www.thenrg.org

SAY NO TO PIRACY. SUPPORT ORIGINAL IDEAS AND MANUFACTURERS

CLUBS

Nautical Research & Model Ship Society of Chicago

Midwest Model Shipwrights

North Shore Deadeyes

The Society of Model Shipwrights

Butch O'Hare - IPMS

as the other have said the dremel can be too much unless you have a really really good "touch" with it.

I would say that two issues are that it can very quickly take off to much wood and that it can also skip or jump if you are not careful.

and as was said get some other scraps of the same wood and try out each method a few times and get a better feel for each tool.

there are a lot of places I do use the dremel to sand and cut wood and a lot of places I use a good sharp blade.

Holding at Rigging stage :

MS Bluenose 1:64, rigging and finish work

Building Hull :

MS Fair American 1:48

In the yard:  18th Century Longboat, Model Shipways Kit

Done: AL Bounty Jolly Boat

I agree with the above.  Rotary tools have their place, but this probably is not the place.   You can shave a thousand of an inch with a chisel.  I defy anyone to do that with any consistency with a rotary drum.  

Allan

PLEASE take 30 SECONDS and sign up for the epic Nelson/Trafalgar project if you would like to see it made into a TV series.   Click on http://trafalgar.tv   There is no cost other than the 30 seconds of your time.  THANK YOU

Jim,

We will never get tired of questions, even repeated ones...... :)

Dremel is good as stated before me, but hand tools is in many ways better, as you will have a feeling of how much you are reducing.

As you will reduce so much less.

I am using a combo of both, but not for keel.

However, the latest Dremel Micro can do real low rpm's which makes it more controllable.
If you are not used to such a power tool you can create more harm than greatness. :)

Good luck  

Edited by Nirvana

Please, visit our Facebook page!

Respectfully

Per aka Dr. Per@Therapy for Shipaholics 
593661798_Keepitreal-small.jpg.f8a2526a43b30479d4c1ffcf8b37175a.jpg

Finished: T37, BB Marie Jeanne - located on a shelf in Sweden, 18th Century Longboat, Winchelsea Capstan

Current: America by Constructo, Solö Ruff, USS Syren by MS, Bluenose by MS

Viking funeral: Harley almost a Harvey

Nautical Research Guild Member - 'Taint a hobby if you gotta hurry

I agree with the others and you might as well learn how to use a chisel.

But,if your dead set against it, you might try sandpaper wrapped tightly around a long block, maybe 1/2 inch square and three to five inches long.

Its tough to adjust your lines if you take off too much or gouge the wood which is easy to do with a Dremel (most of us have learned that the hard way.)  Manual sanding will give you more control of the depth and the long flat surface under the sandpaper will help yield a level, smooth keel. 

For me, part of the fun of this hobby is learning the skill and techniques including new tools.  I am new to the hobby and spend a lot of time learning how to use tools that are new to me from chisels to soldering, jig saw to lathe, and so on. 

In Frolich's book, The Art of Ship Modeling he says, the ship modeler needs to be "... a carpenter, carver, coppersmith, block-maker, rigger, sail maker and painter" ... "using a multitude of crafts ... working with wood, metal, fit, saw, turn, solder, glue, make rope, drill, grind, cut sails, sew, dye, paint, dozens of motions, techniques, turns of the hand."

I agree with him.

Richard

Richard
Member: The Nautical Research Guild
                Atlanta Model Shipwrights

Current build: Syren

A Dremel is nice but you will lack the control that you would have with chisels and knives.  Even bird carvers who use a Dremel go for a nice chisel on the delicate parts.  The Dremel is for large stock removal not for fine work.

David B

Other tools to try  : a small hand plane - needle files.

NRG member 45 years

Current:  

HMS Centurion 1732 - 60-gun 4th rate - Navall Timber framing

HMS Beagle 1831 refiit  10-gun brig with a small mizzen - Navall (ish) Timber framing

The U.S. Ex. Ex. 1838-1842
Flying Fish 1838  pilot schooner -  framed - ready for stern timbers
Porpose II  1836  brigantine/brig - framed - ready for hawse and stern timbers
Vincennes  1825  Sloop-of-War  -  timbers assembled, need shaping
Peacock  1828  Sloop-of -War  -  timbers ready for assembly
Sea Gull  1838  pilot schooner -  timbers ready for assembly
Relief  1835  ship - timbers ready for assembly

Other

Portsmouth  1843  Sloop-of-War  -  timbers ready for assembly
Le Commerce de Marseilles  1788   118 cannons - framed

La Renommee 1744 Frigate - framed - ready for hawse and stern timbers

I also use a block of wood with different grit sandpaper to help shape and smooth , 60 or 80 grit will take off a lot of wood fast and then 180 or 220 will smooth things out.

using a wood block makes sure you are "flat" and you can see the rough angle you are getting at.

Holding at Rigging stage :

MS Bluenose 1:64, rigging and finish work

Building Hull :

MS Fair American 1:48

In the yard:  18th Century Longboat, Model Shipways Kit

Done: AL Bounty Jolly Boat

Maby if you have a mini razor plane. With the blade set very shallow. Take your time.

Regards, Scott

Current build: 1:75 Friesland, Mamoli

Completed builds:

1:64 Rattlesnake, Mamoli  -  1:64 HMS Bounty, Mamoli  -  1:54 Adventure, Amati  -  1:80 King of the Mississippi, AL

1:64 Blue Shadow, Mamoli  -  1:64 Leida Dutch pleasure boat, Corel  -  1:60 HMS President Mantra, Sergal

Awaiting construction:

1:89 Hermione La Fayette AL  -  1:48 Perserverance, Modelers shipyard

Opps sorry, May I add that never be afraid to ask these rookie questions as we are here to help. We don't get sick of it because we all had to start somewhere. Best of luck to you I hope all will go to plan.

Regards, Scott

Current build: 1:75 Friesland, Mamoli

Completed builds:

1:64 Rattlesnake, Mamoli  -  1:64 HMS Bounty, Mamoli  -  1:54 Adventure, Amati  -  1:80 King of the Mississippi, AL

1:64 Blue Shadow, Mamoli  -  1:64 Leida Dutch pleasure boat, Corel  -  1:60 HMS President Mantra, Sergal

Awaiting construction:

1:89 Hermione La Fayette AL  -  1:48 Perserverance, Modelers shipyard