ppddry

HMS Pandora 1779 in 3D

87 posts in this topic

Absolutly Amazing!

Some pictures look like an authentic witchcraft job...

Do not understand how you change from 2D to 3D. Can you explain us this a little bit. On other thing, Are you able from the model in 3D to get a full set of plans to make her for real? The question might be pretty obvious but I only work in 2D and I´m not familiar with the 3D stuff.

Best wishes Shipwrigt!

Daniel.

Hi.

WOW ...says it all. I could list of loads of words but none would do your build justice.

I have Solidworks and never got around to using it.. Having seen this is a real inspiration to me and I guess others :)

Regards Antony.

I have no words in Italian, can you imagine in English?

Incredible work !!!!!

all the best

Giorgio F.

Stunning work , I love to see all the inner structures of these wooden beauties. Thank you for sharing your work. I will be looking foreward to future posts.

Happy modeling

Martin G.

PeteB likes this

Brilliant work,

I have been playing around with the idea of doing a similar project with the same plans. I am hoping to construct a 3D model while also actually building the model for real.

I was wondering which drawing from the book you refered to in order to obtain the inner surface for the frames?  Is this done from the cross sections in the book of the different frames? Or is their an easier way?

Thank you so much for the help, and the inspirational work.

best regards,

Experiment

totally amazing!

Please can we have renders of frames 25,23,21 and 19 on the deadwood so we can see the taper of the deadwood?

Thanks

Tim

Absolutly Amazing!

Some pictures look like an authentic witchcraft job...

Do not understand how you change from 2D to 3D. Can you explain us this a little bit. On other thing, Are you able from the model in 3D to get a full set of plans to make her for real? The question might be pretty obvious but I only work in 2D and I´m not familiar with the 3D stuff.

Best wishes Shipwrigt!

Daniel.

If you had a 3d CNC machine you could produce the frames from a wood blank. Try looking on youtube "import CAD or DWG into Sketchup"

PeteB likes this

Thanks for answering Timtom.

I have no CNC machine. I have in mind that Sherline mill but it will have to wait, quite expensive to my walet... Rather than sketchup or 3Dmax I prefer to use AutoCAD or similars because are drawing programs pretty pretty accurate. You can actually work with things at 1:1. I guess sketchup is more a Design program. I might be wrong.

Where is ppddry anyway?!

Daniel.

Absolutely AMAZING!!  Seems like witchcraft to me, but really inspirational to me.  Having dabbled in 2D I know how much time you  must have spent on your project!

Best

Pierre

Some updates to this topic...

I´ve tried the Inventor from Autodesk and It´s working very well for me. It´s a whole new world. You can download a free version for students for ONE year (you must register). Here´s the link: http://students.autodesk.com/?nd=download_center

And here´s a video of what you can expect from the program...http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=80mdwh29ETU#t=960

Hope you enjoy it!!

Daniel.

Buongiorno a Voi , i commenti servono a poco , ma , le immagini dicono tutto la passione dell'AUTORE

Grazie per quello che fai per il MODELLISMO

Francesco

Translation: Good morning to you, comments are of little use, but the pictures say it all the passion AUTHOR
Thank you for what you do for the MODEL

Francesco:  English only please.  Solo in inglese per favore.

Captain Poison and PeteB like this

I am new to the forum and went through this whole posting at once. I am amazed!  I am hoping to learn to do similar 3D modeling using SolidWorks but my ships would be 1860s steamers.  Yours is a really astounding effort!

PeteB, Don9of11 and mtaylor like this

excellent work I been using solidworks for years for aircraft you have inspired me to try and do a nice sailing ship once i can find some decent plans and how they were actually constructed in order to do it like originals

aviaamator and mtaylor like this

Hi, PPDRY

I've sent you a PM.

I've recently been working on my own CAD HMS Pandora. I have some difficulty with modelling the inner surface of the hull.

It would be awesome if you could explain a bit what your method was in arriving at both the inner surface of the frames and the hull.

Still blown away by your work

I'm a 3D modeler and all I can say is: WOW! ..... <15 minutes of silence>.....WOW!!

I've seen all kinds of wizardry by 3d artists, the modelling, attention to details, patience required... but then I stumbled upon MSW while searching for ship plans and was struck away by the craftsmanship of the people doing scratchbuilds. pure perfection!! for the last 3 weeks I'm literally wiping saliva off my desk while looking at various build logs... and then this again!! great, more saliva... ;-)

mtaylor likes this

Hi ppddry;

Absolutely wonderful draughting work.  The level of detail incorporated is something that would reward many hours of studying your drawings,  and there would still be more to find.

One very small point,  given by someone who knows he can never equal what you have done here,  but I hope you would like to know it,  is that the knee of the head tapered forwards,  and was much narrower below the figurehead than where it was bolted to the stem,  which you show correctly.  However,  the standard in the head,  at the top of the knee,  was narrower,  and almost parallel sided,  and did not follow the taper of the timbers below it,  leaving a ledge where the standard sat on the knee.  The leading edge in the upper part of the knee was also rounded over,  quite noticeably at the top,  diminishing to nothing as it went down.

If this has been left as a chamfer deliberately,  apologies for raising it before you have finished.

All the best,

Mark P

mtaylor likes this