Royal William by marktiedens - FINISHED - Euromodel - scale 1:72

Well,I decided to modify those stern pieces a little further. The upper piece should have a bit of a slant at the rear edge instead of perfectly vertical,so out with the belt sander & beveled the rear edge. Much better now I think. Thanks to keith w for the heads up on this. Now I have to modify the bottom piece to fit again,which means re-carving those grooves for the metal bands.

post-4600-0-40222300-1461195327_thumb.jpg

Mark

current build - HMS Vanguard - Model Shipways

Well,here is transom support version 2.0 - better angle on the rear edge,more room for the gun port,& lower piece re- cut for the metal bands. I am pretty happy with it now. Gotta love these re-do`s.As always,thanks for looking in & hitting the like button

post-4600-0-19009400-1461282770_thumb.jpg

Mark

Looks perfect, Mark. Did you try dry fitting the decorations to make sure they are OK? 

Regards, Keith

gallery_1526_572_501.jpg 2007 (completed): HMS Bounty - Artesania Latina  gallery_1526_579_484.jpg 2013 (completed): Viking Ship Drakkar - Amati  post-1526-0-02110200-1403452426.jpg 2014 (completed): HMS Bounty Launch - Model Shipways

post-1526-0-63099100-1404175751.jpg Current: HMS Royal William - Euromodel

After almost eight years, I am revisiting my interpretive notes on the Euromodel Royal William and starting to re-write much of it by visiting every post on the MSW for this ship. I hope to include some notes but mainly photos from other builds to include so that others can get an immediate overview of different approaches made by different builders. It is a very humbling experience indeed from what I have seen so far. So in the near future, that will be re-posted back onto the Euromodel web site. I will be approaching the individual 'postees' to ask their permission ! This ship is a mighty ship because it caters for the individual who wants to make their own interpretation in their build. It just seems to throw that idea straight at the builder.

Pete

Greg - thanks for your nice comment. It has been a bit of a challenge,but I am enjoying it. Best wishes to Greg the peg leg sailor.

Pete - very well said. Along with your info it`s also great that other modelers of this ship can offer each other their observations & suggestions on how to approach different aspects of building it.

Mark

Hi all - I thought I would take a little break from that nasty transom & work on the rudder. The laser cut rudder supplied in the kit has the front edge straight with no cut outs for the hinges  - forgot to take picture :huh: . The thickness of the hinges seemed to make the rudder sit too far away from the post,so I cut out the parts of the rudder where the hinges fasten to inset them. After bending the hinges to fit around the curves of the hull I painted them black & glued them all in place. I decided to go ahead & mount the rudder before installing the transom support - much easier. The rudder is glued in place,but if it were to turn the rounded front edge would keep it from binding against the post. Now back to the transom..........

post-4600-0-35814800-1461718641_thumb.jpg

post-4600-0-34490100-1461718654_thumb.jpg

Mark

No cut outs for hinges? That's strange, my rudder definitely had cut outs for hinges! Gee Mark, you have already had one error with your kit. I wonder if Euromodel is now not cutting cut outs in the rudder, or you came out the losing end with Euromodel's QA. 

Regards, Keith

gallery_1526_572_501.jpg 2007 (completed): HMS Bounty - Artesania Latina  gallery_1526_579_484.jpg 2013 (completed): Viking Ship Drakkar - Amati  post-1526-0-02110200-1403452426.jpg 2014 (completed): HMS Bounty Launch - Model Shipways

Jason - thanks very much.

Keith - That`s right - the front edge was perfectly straight. If I had just glued the hinges on without filing out the insets there would have been about a 5mm gap between the rudder & the post. It could have been the way they made the rudder at the time mine was made. My plan sheet does not show the insets. The overall views on the plans show about a 1mm gap between the rudder & the post. The hinges would have to be awfully tiny to accomplish that with no insets :huh:.

post-4600-0-37812700-1461730536_thumb.jpg

Mark

Edited by marktiedens

Hmm, maybe I am being retarded. I did the rudder so long ago (and it has been covered up with masking tape for so long) that I don't remember whether there were notches for hinges or not. Whatever it was, I don't remember cutting them out. 

Regards, Keith

Mark,

Hope this makes sense ... the rudder blade typically had bearding (i.e. short sections of timber added along the forward edge between the pintles). This is not shown in the drawings for the Royal William. What I think most people do is to cut notches into the supplied blade.

Edited by piratepete007

That makes sense - thanks Pete. I see also that the plans show a taper on the rudder - from top to bottom & front to back. I did not taper mine due to all the hinges being the same width. It`s a minor detail that would not be noticed anyway.

Mark

Just a 'one-liner" but had to put it somewhere .... looking at the cramped height conditions surrounding the Main Deck capstan on the Royal William and thought it had to be a mistake .... the drawings showing only 1600 mm. height from deck surface to underside of Quarter Deck above ? Did some research and found military records of the time showing the average height of males during this era .... and guess what ? It was only 1600 mm or 63 inches. So 1600 mm. is a passable height after all (maybe as long as you kept your head down a bit !) Gee, the average height of males has increased over the years !!

Pete

Cutting notches into the supplied blade will make the rudder not protrude from the stern post the correct distance? It will look shorter? I added timber on either side of the hinges for this reason. My two cents :)

Regards, Scott

Current build: 1:75 Friesland, Mamoli

Completed builds:

1:64 Rattlesnake, Mamoli  -  1:64 HMS Bounty, Mamoli  -  1:54 Adventure, Amati  -  1:80 King of the Mississippi, AL

1:64 Blue Shadow, Mamoli  -  1:64 Leida Dutch pleasure boat, Corel  -  1:60 HMS President Mantra, Sergal

Awaiting construction:

1:89 Hermione La Fayette AL  -  1:48 Perserverance, Modelers shipyard

Its looking great. Neat work.

Regards, Scott

Current build: 1:75 Friesland, Mamoli

Completed builds:

1:64 Rattlesnake, Mamoli  -  1:64 HMS Bounty, Mamoli  -  1:54 Adventure, Amati  -  1:80 King of the Mississippi, AL

1:64 Blue Shadow, Mamoli  -  1:64 Leida Dutch pleasure boat, Corel  -  1:60 HMS President Mantra, Sergal

Awaiting construction:

1:89 Hermione La Fayette AL  -  1:48 Perserverance, Modelers shipyard

A little update - lower transom almost finished. I am waiting to see what Chuck at Syren is going to come up with for gun port hinges - the kit hinges are not very good. They seem to be a bit short for the bottom 2 rows of lids. In the mean time I am doing a little treenailing - not any particular pattern,mostly just at the plank ends. Some are actual ends,but most are just scribed on the planks. I didn`t make the lower part of the transom as concave as some others,but I think it looks ok.

post-4600-0-42183100-1462323973.jpg

post-4600-0-65322000-1462323987.jpg

Mark

Not planning to paint the lower hull white, Mark? 

BTW if you send a PM to rshousha, he has some RW hinges. I have some. I think that Brian the Extraordinare also has some. I don't think he is planning to use his, so you may be able to get it from him. 

Edited by KeithW

Regards, Keith

Mark: I don't want to overtake your log with pictures, but I have a set of Rick's hinges and they are exceptional!!

• 3 weeks later...

Hi Mark.  I feel your pain with the weather being so good for the last few days, it doesn't give us much time to model.  Lots of yard work and gardening here.

I do have a question though... Are those lower transom carvings actually castings?  They look super, and with what did you paint them if so?  Thanks.

Matt

Thanks Frank - the stern is so far the most difficult part to do.

Hi Matt from another central Iowan. All the decorations are metal castings. They are somewhat soft so they can be bent to fit. All the windows are also metal castings. I am drilling & filing out the panes so I can use liquid window maker - looks much better than just painted. You can see an example in post #53. The paint is a Vallejo game color called polished gold - it`s the best gold paint I have found.

Mark