Royal William by marktiedens - FINISHED - Euromodel - scale 1:72

Some very fine skills and exacting workmanship are being demonstrated here!  

JP

Built & De-Commissioned: HMS Endeavour (Corel), HMS Unicorn (Corel),

Abandoned: HMS Bounty (AL)

Completed : Wappen Von Hamburg (Corel), Le Renommee (Euromodel)... on hold

Current WIP: Berlin by Corel

On Shelf:  HMS Bounty (Billings),

You AREN'T working at a snail's pace! Compared to VinceP and me, you are a rocket! You have already overtaken me in the build, despite me having a one year head start! 

Regards, Keith

gallery_1526_572_501.jpg 2007 (completed): HMS Bounty - Artesania Latina  gallery_1526_579_484.jpg 2013 (completed): Viking Ship Drakkar - Amati  post-1526-0-02110200-1403452426.jpg 2014 (completed): HMS Bounty Launch - Model Shipways

post-1526-0-63099100-1404175751.jpg Current: HMS Royal William - Euromodel

Outstanding! Is the word that comes to my mind. So neat and clean. Hats off to you, Mark.  :cheers:

Ulises

There aren't but two options: do it FAST, or do it RIGHT.

Current Project Build Log: Soleil Royal in 1/72. Kit by Artesania Latina.

Last finished projectsRoyal Ship Vasa 1628; French Vessel Royal Louis 1780. 1/90 Scale by Mamoli. 120 Cannons

Future projects already in my stash: Panart: San Felipe 1/75; OcCre: Santísima Trinidad 1/90;

Wish List: 1/64 Amati Victory, HMS Enterprise in 1/48 by CAF models.

So much to build, so little time!

Keith,Pete,Ulises - thank you all for the compliments.

I guess I feel "slow" because I had to punch a time clock for 46 years & do work under some time restraints. After being retired for a couple of years I am still trying to slow down :D.

Mark

current build - HMS Vanguard - Model Shipways

• 2 weeks later...

A little more progress - first thing I did was determine the best position for the figureheads,then pinned & glued them in place. Next,the middle & lower head rails were bent & cut to fit,painted,& glued in place.After that,I drilled the hawse holes & finished adding the bolsters. The upper cheek rails were then filed & shimmed to fit,painted,& glued in place. hard to see in the pictures,but a curved block was added to the underside of the cheek rail to allow for a more gentle curve to glue the decorations to. Next will be to add the bow decorations,lower cheek rails,& head rail support timbers. Thanks for looking in & all the likes.

post-4600-0-27189400-1472684582_thumb.jpg

post-4600-0-07835000-1472684600_thumb.jpg

Mark

G'day Mark

Been away for a while due to personal reasons. What a difference! The only words I can say would be mind boggling and incredibly fantastic.

Did you say that you were going at a snail pace? It's more like supersonic if you ask me. I would say that the areas that you have completed would be bloody difficult and a lot of 'grey matter' must have been used to get everything so spot on.

The port and starboard sides decorations are the best that I have seen and your bow....there's are no words to express how good it looks.

WELL DONE!

Havagooday

Greg

"Nothing is impossible, it's only what limitations that you put on yourself make it seems impossible! "

Current log : The Royal Yacht Royal Caroline 1749 1:32 by Greg Ashwood:...

Hi Mark, well I'm not sure really what to say but she really is impressive and your work is beautiful

A little more progress - all the head rails & support timbers are done :cheers: . Also,while waiting for paint to dry I figured I might as well make the bow knightheads,& install the front railing of the forecastle. All the timberheads were painted black to offset all of that gold.

post-4600-0-69924000-1473649220_thumb.jpg

post-4600-0-55898400-1473649242_thumb.jpg

post-4600-0-47775900-1473649263_thumb.jpg

Mark

G'day Mark

I 'havta take my hat off to you', your patience and perseverance has shown through again with another example of pure excellence.

You have risen the benchmark on all RW build and may have given some the encouragement to start their own.

Can't wait for the next installment.

Havagooday

Greg

"Nothing is impossible, it's only what limitations that you put on yourself make it seems impossible! "

Current log : The Royal Yacht Royal Caroline 1749 1:32 by Greg Ashwood:...

Pete - it was just a lot of filing,test fitting,filing some more,test fitting. The hard part was holding onto the short pieces while I filed. I couldn`t hold these little pieces with pliers or they would get nicked & dented due to the softness of the metal. The cheek rails ended up a little lower than I would have liked due to a couple of factors - the wales are a little off & the metal parts for the rails are a little thicker than what the plans show. Using the small ovals to determine the spacing of the rails,the small differences in thickness from the plans added up to the cheek rails being a little low.I still think it looks ok,though.

Thanks a bunch,Greg. I think Euromodel`s web site still has 20% off.

Mark

Hi all - a little more progress has been made. The roughtree (hand) rails are now done. All 114 stanchions were cut,pinned & glued in place. The kit provided 2x5mm walnut strips for the railing,but it seemed a little too wide. So I narrowed them down to 2x4mm & made the curved ends with my old Aeropiccola plank bender. That company is no longer in business,so I am wondering why no one has tried to make one like it - it really works well.Then I made all the timberheads on the forecastle railing & pinned & glued them in place. Lastly,I made the sheaves that are at the fore & aft ends of the railings. The pulleys in the sheaves are small deadeyes filed flat to fit in the slots. A coat of poly was then applied to finish them off. I may work on the deck furniture next.

post-4600-0-43083300-1474591711_thumb.jpg

post-4600-0-27715800-1474591729_thumb.jpg

post-4600-0-38217100-1474591746_thumb.jpg

post-4600-0-04694800-1474591762_thumb.jpg

Thanks for looking in

Mark

Beautiful work Mark, very nice!

Mike

Current Wooden builds:  Amati/Victory Pegasus  MS Charles W. Morgan  Euromodel La Renommèe  

Plastic builds:    SB2U-1 Vindicator 1/48  Five Star Yaeyama 1/700  Pit Road Asashio and Akashi 1/700 diorama  Walrus 1/48 and Albatross 1/700  Special Hobby Buffalo 1/32  Eduard Sikorsky JRS-1 1/72  IJN Notoro 1/700  Akitsu Maru 1/700

Completed builds :  Caldercraft Brig Badger   Amati Hannah - Ship in Bottle  Pit Road Hatsuzakura 1/700   Hasegawa Shimakaze 1:350

F4B-4 and P-6E 1/72  Accurate Miniatures F3F-1/F3F-2 1/48  Tamiya F4F-4 Wildcat built as FM-1 1/48  Special Hobby Buffalo 1/48

Citroen 2CV 1/24 - Airfix and Tamiya  Entex Morgan 3-wheeler 1/16

Terminated build:  HMS Lyme (based on Corel Unicorn)  

On the shelf:  Euromodel Friedrich Wilhelm zu Pferde; Caldercraft Victory; too many plastic ship, plane and car kits

Future potential scratch builds:  HMS Lyme (from NMM plans); Le Gros Ventre (from Ancre monographs), Dutch ship from Ab Hoving book, HMS Sussex from McCardle book, Philadelphia gunboat (Smithsonian plans)

I'm looking at these pictures and turning green with envy. I really should get back to work on my model, but other things have been taking up my time recently :( 

Regards, Keith

gallery_1526_572_501.jpg 2007 (completed): HMS Bounty - Artesania Latina  gallery_1526_579_484.jpg 2013 (completed): Viking Ship Drakkar - Amati  post-1526-0-02110200-1403452426.jpg 2014 (completed): HMS Bounty Launch - Model Shipways

post-1526-0-63099100-1404175751.jpg Current: HMS Royal William - Euromodel

Another small update - I decide to make the gangways that go between the forecastle & quarter decks. I made the base for the gangways from a leftover mahogany ply sheet that the false decks were removed from. Then I planked the top side with leftover deck planking strips & covered the outer edge with a 2x2mm strip. Then I made some support knees from some 2x12mm walnut strip & glued them in place. The gangways will not be glued in place until later - after the cannons underneath them are in place. At that time the bottom side will be painted red & hand rails added along with some steps to the quarterdeck. 

post-4600-0-33556100-1474731865_thumb.jpg

Mark

Just started following your post Mark.  Outstanding working!  Thanks for sharing!

Mercdaddy

Past Projects: Corel's HSM Victory; Mamoli's Friesland; Mantua's San Felipe;  Model Shipways USS Constitution;  Model Shipways USS Syren; 

Current Project: Model Shipways USF Essex

Future Project: Researching for one