Cutty Sark by mojofilter - Sergal/Mantua - 1:78

Hamilton, the deck house panels are etched brass that I painted flat white.  I scraped off the paint around the port holes.  They are not accurate according to Campbell plans or Longbridge book.  I think they look OK so I don't really care.  They come in a strip that I cut apart, between which I inserted walnut strips (can't find teak).

Hof, Looks like these pictures were before the topgallant rail was applied?  Is the brass strip one piece?  Is it a solid strip from the deck to the underside of the topgallant rail?  And from the knighthead to the poop?  Looks like it ends back there somewhere?

The warped fore deck: I live in New Mexico and we have very low humidity - we can use evaporative (swamp) coolers effectively.  The laminated plywood of the fore deck is not happy with the fluctuations though. It looks like the aft end of the deck runs to the fore side of the WCs and attaches there?

Again, beautiful execution, even at this early stage!  Thanks for the pics!

- Tim

Current Builds:  Cutty Sark

Finished Builds:  Yacht America

Hi Chap,

Yup planked on the outside of the Bulwark "Extensions" with 0.5mm I guess Basswood.

Brass was installed afterward and extensions removed post this.

Decking followed.

Your Metal Working skills are good, mine poor....

The Poop Deck Bulwarks i resorted to wood, as per the photos.

The PE as far as Mantua couldn't be shaped, come Hell or High water....:)

Main difficulty with this subject, the difficulty, mine anyway, is the fact that Rigging, is in the main, "Inboard."

As stated, lots of images. (I'd like to see your "Execution" better than mine!!)

Hmm....Unsure about the Humidity "Excuse." :)

We have Temperature/Humidity fluctuations in the Antipodes also!! My memory of the "Skeleton" was that it "Slotted" together with no issues, just "Pinned" my False Decks.

Happy to help/advise.

How can I help further?

Cheers and Regards,

Harry. (HOF)

Completed Builds:

A/L Bluenose II

A/L Mare Nostrum

Sergal/Mantua Cutty Sark

A/L Pen Duick

A/L Fulgaro

Amati/Partworks 1/200 Bismarck

A/L Sanson

Very, very promissing !

In progress:

CUTTY SARK - Tehnodidakta => scratch => Campbell plans

http://modelshipworld.com/index.php/topic/2501-cutty-sark-by-nenad-tehnodidakta-scratched-campbells-plans/page-1#entry64653

Content of log :

http://modelshipworld.com/index.php/topic/2501-cutty-sark-by-nenad-tehnodidakta-scratched-campbells-plans/page-62#entry217381

Past build:

Stella, Heller kit, plastic, Santa Maria, Tehnodidakta kit, wood, Jolly Roger Heller kit, plastic

Hi Chap,

To answer your questions:

The Brass Bulwarks came in the same sheet of PE, from memory there were three sections, (Lengths), per side and the afore mentioned Stern piece that I struggled with.

The "Freeing Ports" were cut out prior to fixing on the Bulwark Planking. Once in place, the Bulwark planking "Freeing Ports" were removed using the Brass as a Template so to speak.

The width of these, I guess from False Deck level to the Top Gallant Rail Level.

And, yes, the Top Gallant Rail was fitted after the Pin Rail/s, Stanchions otherwise I would never have been able to fit these.

(There is also some other detail that goes into the Inner Bulwarks prior to fitting the Top Gallant Rail. (I'll find a photo.)

Yup, the Fore Deck butts up to the WC's.

Just a note here, I put a 1.0 X 1.0mm strip around all the rear edges of the Foredeck.

(I performed this before fitting.)

The Pin Rails were modified also, there are not enough holes for all the Backstays for the Fore and Main Masts.

Enjoy!!

Cheers....HOF.

DSC_0190.JPG

DSC_0191.JPG

DSC_0192.JPG

DSC_0193.JPG

Edited by hof00

Completed Builds:

A/L Bluenose II

A/L Mare Nostrum

Sergal/Mantua Cutty Sark

A/L Pen Duick

A/L Fulgaro

Amati/Partworks 1/200 Bismarck

A/L Sanson

On 10/16/2017 at 11:09 AM, NenadM said:

Very, very promissing !

Nenad - A while back on keelhauled's log, you posted:

"Marc, if you are interested, I could send you a link to my Gdrive where is my collection of CS photos ( couple od hundreads)

Edited June 30, 2015 by Nenad"

Do you still have this link available?

Thanks,

- Tim

Edited by mojofilter

3 hours ago, mojofilter said:

Nenad - A while back on keelhauled's log, you posted:

"Marc, if you are interested, I could send you a link to my Gdrive where is my collection of CS photos ( couple od hundreads)

Edited June 30, 2015 by Nenad"

Do you still have this link available?

Thanks,

- Tim

Yes I have

Try

https://drive.google.com/folderview?id=0BzxUQf9ppp1zQTR5Yk5ybmRyeVE

In progress:

http://modelshipworld.com/index.php/topic/2501-cutty-sark-by-nenad-tehnodidakta-scratched-campbells-plans/page-1#entry64653

Content of log :

http://modelshipworld.com/index.php/topic/2501-cutty-sark-by-nenad-tehnodidakta-scratched-campbells-plans/page-62#entry217381

Past build:

Stella, Heller kit, plastic, Santa Maria, Tehnodidakta kit, wood, Jolly Roger Heller kit, plastic

Two things - I am working on the deck fixtures; deck houses, mast coats, pumps, windlass etc. in order to define mitered borders around these for decking.  Looking at stock of pictures of the real ship (thanks again Nenad!), I don't see mitered decking trim at the base of the deck houses.  At least not the modern version.  Was there?

The other question is skylights - certainly one on the poop deck house, either 6 or 8 lights.  One on the aft deck house?  Or two?

I saw somewhere here the use of real glass for the lights.  Microscope cover slide.  Incredibly thin at 0.007".

My first attempts were with a regular glass cutter.  shattered shards.  A search showed to use a carbide tipped scribe with gentle, consistent pressure.  Viola!! (the French version).  The secret is to apply a drop of isopropyl alcohol.

018.thumb.JPG.68dad50d76871b33ad3c4d536e6ef691.JPG

Edited by mojofilter

Neverlasting question - depends which period of Her life you want to reproduce - at present day or some decades earlier, or much much much earlier

I tried to do some research, mentioned it in my build log, and decide for "middle" solution - combination of present stage and look of Her shown in Campbel`s plans

She is very old ship, changed Her look many many times, particulary on details, so ... in my opinion, there is not "universal truth" here

All the best

Nenad

In progress:

Content of log :

Past build:

I know I'm kinda jumping around a bit but I built a caddy for the old Prestolite torch.  Cleaned everything up a bit.  The Admiral is not thrilled at having the thing in her dining room - I'll wheel it into a dark corner and sneak it out when I need to.  It's not the fire and flame - she is a silversmith - it's just that the shipyard looks like it's taking over . . .

IMG_3840.thumb.JPG.ef3a4a840467acc5c7cd9e7c1a4ed459.JPG

Can't seem to rotate the picture.

I'll be making a lot of parts of brass.  Silver soldered.   Here is an attempt at a stanchion. 

59f3a2a7dfa3c_20171027005.thumb.JPG.2037585b2c4f03e29d479a80c30ffa8e.JPG

It's 18 gauge so it's probably out of scale.  The rings are 20 gauge - I'll try some smaller material.

Only 51 more of these :o

Edited by mojofilter

• 2 weeks later...

A trial strip.  This is 0.5mm walnut.  At 1:78, the panel is 12.5" high.  The 'slots' are 5" high by 32" long, and 14" between slots.

In looking at the treasure trove of pictures of Her Majesty, I can see a few different widths of slots.

111317a.thumb.jpg.906d62676231e7520b77a596cd167743.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for the compliment Eduardo.  Actually, a Cameron Micro Drill with a Proton XY table, and a 1/16 end mill.  

My father bought this many years ago and used it to drill holes in printed circuit boards.

From pictures it looks like the teak panels were 12" high, the white reveal 4" high and (at least some) 36" long?  Paneling over and under the reveal at 4" each?  The space between the reveal ~12" (4" 'post' in the middle of this that the topgallant rail sits on?).

I'm not going to get too carried away with this - just a point of interest.

Also, it seems that this top bulwark paneling ends forward against the heads, forward of that, on the anchor deck, it seems to be iron, painted white, with just the butt plates/angle iron to support the topgallant rail.  The aft paneling appears to end midway down the poop deck and looks to be wood planks painted black.

Any details on this appreciated!

Thanks,

- Tim

panel.thumb.JPG.89aa4828dccbbcbe5ce8a85ba185729d.JPG

In progress:

Content of log :

Past build:

Thanks for the likes and the detailed picture Nenad!

The panels will be 12" X 40".  I am still a long way from there but I will use this technique on the upper bulwarks.

I will continue on with the metal work; masts with coats, bands, lugs, trees etc.

The brass bowsprit is finished except for the cheek sheaves for the fore topmast stays, which I intend to turn this morning.

5a1834e878437_20171124005a.thumb.jpg.3fd0af73887252fd252e8f71c649fc39.jpg5a18351406894_20171124006a.thumb.jpg.bdc86f131b7be94f8c530d9d577b101a.jpg5a18351cb433b_20171124009a.thumb.jpg.52d43d61ccb44373dee7452dc5c6528f.jpg

Briliant !!!!

In progress:

Content of log :

Past build:

Great metal work Tim! 

hamilton

current builds: Corel HMS Bellona (1780)

previous builds: MS Phantom (scuttled, 2017); MS Sultana (1767); Corel Brittany Sloop (scuttled, 2022); MS Kate Cory; MS Armed Virginia Sloop (in need of a refit); Corel Flattie; Mamoli Gretel; Amati Bluenose (1921) (scuttled, 2023); AL San Francisco (destroyed by land krakens [i.e., cats]); Corel Toulonnaise (1823); 
MS Glad Tidings (1937) (in need of a refit)HMS Blandford (1719) from Corel HMS GreyhoundFair Rosamund (1832) from OcCre Dos Amigos (missing in action); Amati Hannah (ship in a bottle); Mamoli America (1851)Bluenose fishing schooner (1921) (scratch)

under the bench: Admiralty Echo cross-section; MS Emma C Barry; MS USS Constitution; MS Flying Fish; Corel Berlin; a wood supplier Colonial Schooner Hannah; Victory Models H.M.S. Fly; CAF Models HMS Granado; MS USS Confederacy

• 1 year later...

did any more progress get made with this build

Its all part of Kev's journey, bit like going to the dark side, but with the lights on

All the best

Kevin :omg:

SAY NO TO PIRACY. SUPPORT ORIGINAL IDEAS AND MANUFACTURERS.
KEEP IT REAL!

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

On the build table

HMS Indefatigable 1794 by Kevin - Vanguard Models - 1:64 - Feb 2023 

HMHS Britannic by Kevin 

SD 14  - Marcle Models - 1/70 - March 2022 -  Bluebell - Flower Class - Revel - 1/72   U552 German U Boat - Trumpeter - 1/48  Amerigo Vespucci     1/84 - Panart-   HMS Enterprise  -CAF -  1/48     

Finished     

St-Nectan-Mountfleet-models-steam-trawler-1/32 - Completed June 2020

HMS Victory - Caldercraft/Jotika - 1/72 - Finished   Dorade renamed Dora by Kevin - Amati - 1/20 - Completed March 2021 

Stage Coach 1848 - Artesania Latina - 1/10 -Finished Lady Eleanor by Kevin - FINISHED - Vanguard Models - 1/64 - Fifie fishing boat

• 2 years later...

Hello everyone -

It's been WAY too long since I've dropped in.  It's very good to see a lot of the same folks and builds progressing, and in some cases completing their projects.  I was able to retire (finally) about a year ago, and with some big items off the honey-do lists, I'm finding myself with a little time.  Looking at some interesting metalworking and engraving websites is rekindling my nautical interests, so I'm going to re-open the shipyard.  The CS was placed in mothballs several years ago so finding just where I left off is taking some time.  Also trying to find the treasure trove of photographs I'd collected from the incredibly helpful folks here proving difficult.  It's been one or two computers ago and backing up was not one of my strong points.  Fortunately Nenad's links still work so that's a great start.  Anyway, please bear with me as I ask many questions all over again, and try to dive back into this build.

Best regards,  - Tim

Hej Tim,

Good to see you are back. I will be following your proceedings with utmost interest. 😉

All the best and good luck

Leo Moons

Nous sommes condamnés à être libre

Present build: Cutty Sark by Sergal/Mantua 1:78

Previous builds:

- Collie by Graupner RC Sailing boat

- Blue Nose II by Billing Boats

- Harvey by Artesania Latina

- Oceanic by Revell RC Tugboat

- Thyssen II by Graupner RC Pushing boat

• 2 weeks later...

Hey folks - does anyone have a good graphic of the transom scroll work?  I'm looking for something flat that I can use for a pattern for engraving.  The larger (and more accurately detailed) the better.  I've got tons of pictures but translating this to a flat surface would be kind of a mystery to me, with the compound curved surface.

Thanks in advance,

- Tim

• 1 month later...

Tim --

To your question about a graphic of the scroll work: the Campbell plans have one, I think it is at 1/4" scale (different from the 3/32" scale of the main parts of the ship). But it's flat and shows the scroll work well. It is on either the Rigging or the Sail plan. 

I know the Sergal "photo etch" for the transom scroll work -- for that matter, the bow name plate and trail/head board as well -- is not very good. If you decide to go another route than engraving, there is a company, HiSModel (https://www.hismodel.com) that offers a very nice photoetch set of the bow and transom scroll work for the Billings kit, but I think will work on the Sergal kit -- not that different in scale. I bought it -- not very expensive -- It is a significant improvement over the Sergal "photo etch" and is very close to the actual ship. I've got a 40+ year old Billings kit and the Sergal kit, and will tackle probably the Sergal kit after wrapping up Syren (now in masting and rigging) although I'm pulled toward Chuck's Winchelsea. 

Anyway -- FYI.

Allen