Jump to content

tom kinglake

  • Content Count

  • Joined

  • Last visited

About tom kinglake

  • Birthday 07/20/1952

Profile Information

  • Gender
  • Location
    Cardiff, Wales
  • Interests
    Music, ships and the sea.

Recent Profile Visitors

172 profile views
  1. Superb work! what a wonderful way to put the ship herself into a meaningful context. Many congratulations.
  2. Many thanks for your comment. I agree - it's not often that a chance arises to add details of that kind, and it's good to be able to make use of them when they do.
  3. Well, all I can say is that if it hadn't been for your videos I would probably have given up with Granado long before getting to the end of it, and so would never have progressed to do HMS Pegasus and the brig Mercury, or be writing this now! I too find ship modelling a totally absorbing and rewarding challenge in my retirement, and I have learned most of what I know about it from your work. If you had been charging a fee for a training course I would have considered it money well spent. Best wishes, Tom.
  4. Hi Kevin, I watched every one of your videos (some of them several times over!) while I was building the Caldercraft Granado kit in Jan - July 2018, and found them all really helpful. I should have posted to thank you for them long ago, but now I've started my own build logs and gallery on this site I felt I must drop you a line to do so. Your comments and explanations saved me from many a potential disaster!! With best wishes, Tom.
  5. Thanks! I'm sure yours will too! By the way, have you seen Kevin Kenny's videos on building the Granado? I watched all of them while doing mine and found them a huge help.
  6. Thanks - when I started the build, I too planned to replace the walnut with a lighter coloured wood, as I had done previously with Granado (see the pictures I put in the Gallery) - for this, I used lime, coloured with a light oak wood stain, and a clear varnish on top. This worked quite well, as long as you like the rather 'weathered' look to the finish. But after some experiments with the walnut that came with the Pegasus kit, I decided to use it after all, though I did go through the entire batch to pick out the lightest shades first. It seems that walnut varies quite a lot from batch to batch.
  7. Thanks - since I took this photo I've got the after mortar hatch hoisted as well as the forward one, on a purchase to the mizzen stay. The stray barrels have been tidied up as well!
  8. I've just put a few photos of Granado into the gallery. I've made a couple of small alterations since I took these in July 2018 (including tidying up the stray barrels!) and I'll post some updates when I can get some decent shots. Cheers, Tom.
  9. Hi Vane Your tanganyika planking looks excellent. Congratulations on your very neat oar ports, too! When I made my Granado, I didn't realise that there were no cutouts for them in the gunport patterns until too late! I didn't use the walnut for the upper hull of Granado, either - instead I used lime, coloured with a light oak stain, then a clear varnish over that. I wasn't completely satisfied with the result, although it seems an improvement on the walnut - not as good as yours though! (on the other hand, I did use the walnut supplied for the planking of Pegasus which I'm currently working on, and was pleased with its colour and texture). I guess that walnut varies a lot from batch to batch. Best wishes, Tom.
  10. Thanks Vane and Mugje! I'll try to get a few shots of Granado into the gallery today. The wood used for Pegasus is just what comes with the kit, walnut for hull planking & masts & spars, Tanganyika for decks, etc. I did use some dark stain (rather than black paint) to colour the yards though, and the studdingsail booms are birch dowel stained with a cherry red dye (for no particular reason other than that I like the colour contrast!) As for the coppering - I don't know what I shall do about it yet!! At first, I decided that I didn't like the copper plates supplied, and anyway I was worried that I wouldn't be able to get a good enough finish if I used them - so I decided that instead I would go for a plain white below the waterline (as in the Amati HMS Fly, for example). Then I decided that no, I would leave the lower hull in the natural wood. Then I decided that I hadn't achieved a good enough finish to allow this. Then I decided to put on a coat of walnut brown paint instead. Whatever happens, the walnut brown will have to go! I'll probably end up using the copper plates after all.

About us

Modelshipworld - Advancing Ship Modeling through Research

SSL Secured

Your security is important for us so this Website is SSL-Secured

NRG Mailing Address

Nautical Research Guild
237 South Lincoln Street
Westmont IL, 60559-1917

About the NRG

If you enjoy building ship models that are historically accurate as well as beautiful, then The Nautical Research Guild (NRG) is just right for you.

The Guild is a non-profit educational organization whose mission is to “Advance Ship Modeling Through Research”. We provide support to our members in their efforts to raise the quality of their model ships.

The Nautical Research Guild has published our world-renowned quarterly magazine, The Nautical Research Journal, since 1955. The pages of the Journal are full of articles by accomplished ship modelers who show you how they create those exquisite details on their models, and by maritime historians who show you the correct details to build. The Journal is available in both print and digital editions. Go to the NRG web site (www.thenrg.org) to download a complimentary digital copy of the Journal. The NRG also publishes plan sets, books and compilations of back issues of the Journal and the former Ships in Scale and Model Ship Builder magazines.

Our Emblem

Modelshipworld - Advancing Ship Modeling through Research
  • Create New...