USF Constellation 1797 by Jparsley - Artesania Latina - 1:85 scale

Looks to be going well.....   I just noticed, it looks like AL finally changed the cannon.  They used to look like some sort of science fiction blaster or something other than a cannon.

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

Hi..

Very nice work on those ports.  Certainly looks tricky.

A couple of small thoughts just in case they help. Think about using a sanding block as you smooth the port cuts out so their edges stay sharp.  I learned in another blog that the port edges will round off if you try to do it using just the sandpaper. The other thing in my AL kit was the final planking strips were paper thin. I was worried I would sand right through them so I only used 320 to 400 grit paper for all the final layer sanding.

Hope the above helps...she is looking good!

Cheers,

Nigel.

Edited by UpstateNY

Current Build Logs: H.M.S. Triton Cross SectionUSF Confederacy Model Shipways

Completed Log: Red Dragon Artesania Latina

Gallery: Red Dragon: Artesania Latina

Member:  Nautical Research Guild

Looking very nice... Keep it going. 

Current/But Not immediate Build Logs

I am still gathering the tools I need but starting preliminary work. Nothing to show just yet.

Fair American

Armed Virginia Sloop.

J, (since I'm not sure of your name... :) )

You'll find quite a bit off on scale....  not just barrels (they're tad too long and still not really the "right" type).  The wheel is too big also.   Did your kit come with the "little guys"?   They are actually 1:64 scale.  The model is around 1:85 so a couple of HO figures would give a better idea of scale.  Don't toss the "little guys" as you can use them with any model 1:64 to maybe 1:72.  If I remember anything else that was off on this, I'll give a yell.

Ah.. I found the picture I was looking for.. the top gun is what came with my kit.  Very much an SciFi looking gun....

post-76-0-83563100-1431393816_thumb.jpg

Mark

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

John, check a well stocked model RR shop. Preiser makes unpainted figures in HO scale, which is 1/87 scale. You may be able to adapt some. There are around 10-15 brands listed in the Walters HO Reference Book - their catalog. Check them out.

Ken

Started: MS Bounty Longboat,

On Hold:  Heinkel USS Choctaw paper

Down the road: Shipyard HMC Alert 1/96 paper, Mamoli Constitution Cross, MS USN Picket Boat #1

Scratchbuild: Echo Cross Section

Member Nautical Research Guild

Jeff,

What Ken said about people.  I bought a conductor set and they look like officers.  They're not on the model.. but I used them a lot for scale.

Mark

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:

Looking good, Jeff.   As for 'rush', 'deadline', 'delay'...  no worries.  Life always comes first.

Mark

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:

Lookin' good, Jeff.

Mark

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:

Not much to report on other than used a polycrylic sealer on the bottom part of the hull I think I'm going to start on the upper gun ports so I can say that's done instead of using the little undersized cabin extensions on the rear of the ship I'm going to fabricate some from wood we will see how that turns out

post-18711-0-88368600-1432608104_thumb.jpg

post-18711-0-11702000-1432608141_thumb.jpg

post-18711-0-76852800-1432608160_thumb.jpg

post-18711-0-73359900-1432608175_thumb.jpg

Nice job Jeff.  It is coming along nicely.  As was mentioned earlier, I can vouch first hand that it is a tricky build.  Patience and thinking ahead is the key.  I also get a bit frustrated when things seem to slow to a crawl either because of the warmer weather chores or just that section of the build that seems to take forever without much to show for it.  But then it all falls into place.

• 3 weeks later...

Hello everyone Hope life's treating everyone well I was able to get a little time in tonight to work on the old girl I didn't like how I did the rope work on the walk ways on the lower gun deck so I redid them with a thicker black thread that came in the kit since I won't be using it for the rigging Placed the tedious little shot balls in their racks Hope she is looking descent I know she isn't museum quality but for my first build I think she is coming along If anyone has ideas please let me know Thanks for the interest

Jeff

post-18711-0-35661700-1434601743_thumb.jpg

post-18711-0-26082200-1434601786_thumb.jpg

post-18711-0-33987300-1434601843_thumb.jpg

post-18711-0-32993500-1434601895_thumb.jpg

post-18711-0-34630500-1434601962_thumb.jpg

post-18711-0-49195800-1434602075_thumb.jpg

Jeff,

It is morphing into a real good looking model.  Keep up the good work.  You seem to be flying through this build.

jp, new member, old guy, new experience here with modeling.........followed your progress and you are an inspiration to a neophyte like me.....there are some great projects on this site and pretty cool folks too.....  but this build and growth, into this museum piece is terrific, im inspired and thank you for sharing

james