USF Constellation 1797 by Jparsley - Artesania Latina - 1:85 scale

Much improved.

Bob

"Even while the storm raged at it's worst, my ship was wholesome and noble." - Captain Joshua Slocum

Current Builds:

L'Hermione 1780 - 1:89 - Artesania Latina   http://modelshipworld.com/index.php/topic/10261-hermione-la-fayette-1780-by-bobstrake-artesania-latina-scale-189/#entry305929<p>

Louise - 1:26 - Constructo  http://modelshipworld.com/index.php/topic/11855-louise-by-bobstrake-constructo-scale-126/?p=360370

Completed Builds:

Carmen 1850 - 1:80 - Constructo - First Build   http://modelshipworld.com/index.php/topic/10398-carmen-1850-by-bobstrake-constructo-scale-180/#entry31137

:)   :cheers:

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

Thanks guys  for the comments   slow going as of late but trying to improve on what I've built    I could use all the suggestions you could give.  Having some issues building the railings (top rails).  The wood isn't wanting to keep shape.  I've used supper hot water, bending iron and a lot of hand pressure.  After getting it in shape it tends to straighten out as it dries  even glued down   I noticed after a few hours it has stretched the glue and lost its bend.  Kind of irritating.  Oh well.  Guess ill just keep after it.  I'm thinking my next effort will be to build the front supports off the bow.  Not too sure what its called  looks like a cage.  if anyone has any suggestions as im building  please tell. 

What Joel said.  Keep it bent unitl cool and dry. 

\

I always made a throwaway jig for these using scrap.  I couldn't find photo but all it was is some flat plywood with a piece of wood cut into the shape of the curve needed.  Both pieces of the cut curved were glued down the appropriate distance apart forming a slot.  When dry, the piece to be bent was wetted, heated and placed into the curved slot.    I hope that makes sense.

Mark

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

Ok guys fixed that little annoying star on the left galley wall Installed the pre made windows took a little light bending to help match the curvature but they are on Also installed the what do you call them the frames on each of the gun ports on the bulwarks Tell me what y'all think

post-18711-0-04909700-1440647837_thumb.jpg

post-18711-0-37788100-1440647859_thumb.jpg

post-18711-0-01783600-1440647873_thumb.jpg

post-18711-0-60335600-1440647886_thumb.jpg

post-18711-0-64526900-1440647904_thumb.jpg

Just coming aboard.  Love what you're doing, particularly the color contrasts.

Augie

Current Build: US Frigate Confederacy - MS 1:64

Previous Builds :

US Brig Syren (MS) - 2013 (see Completed Ship Gallery)

Greek Tug Ulises (OcCre) - 2009 (see Completed Ship Gallery)

Victory Cross Section (Corel) - 1988

Essex (MS) 1/8"- 1976

Cutty Sark (Revell 1:96) - 1956

Jeff,

I'm bearing bad tidings... that gallery on the right (I attached a photo).  Can you take it off and probably sand back the top to rotate it? Or maybe build out the bottom of it?  It's a bit on the droopy side..  If you put on the main mast main course brace support (I think that's the right term) it won't be straight out.   And I think you'll be happier with the stern view.  I like the way you're coming along on this build.  It's not the easiest one to do.

post-76-0-68766300-1440712239_thumb.jpg

Mark

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:

Thanks mark Already torn off and contemplating how to build it up the top will be hard to sand down but the bottom I know I can build back up little wood little vanier and a little cursing I think I can do it lol Busy the next few days but I'll post a corrected version in a few days thanks for the extra eyes

Cool Jeff.  I was worried that at some point you'd wonder why we didn't say anything.  When you're fitting it back, just sand/carve and the offer it up.  Repeat until it's where you want it.  I think you'll be a lot happier with it.

Mark

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:

Ok Tom after yanking that goofy cabin off and inspecting it I realized that the cabin placement wasn't the issue I had the wood planks going at the wrong angle So like any true hobbiest I pulled off the old planks and straightened them out They are drying at the moment but I will post better pictures of my stern shortly

:)  :) :)  post-76-0-39398300-1440819170.gif

Mark

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:

i wanted to thank everyone thats like or commented on my build log    its nice to know that others find interest in something that is important to all of us    i think this site has some wonderful people that even though their skill levels are diffrent we all have the passion and love for this craft   thank you all for your inputs criticisms and your wonderful words of encouragement

New update guys

Started working on the anchors Saw Nigel's wonderful display and techniques Instead of using the brass for the straps I used chalk board tape I decided on it because one its self adhesive the other is because it's a flat black Second part was on the brass ring I used a double strand embroidery thread I split the strands apart and dipped them in half pva glue and water solution stretched them out to dry I wrapped the brass loop with the stiffened thread I wanted to add a nice little detail of rope wrapped around the cross member in a figure eight Also started putting together my little coranades

post-18711-0-41591900-1441334151_thumb.jpg

post-18711-0-75276900-1441334189_thumb.jpg

post-18711-0-13411600-1441334243_thumb.jpg

post-18711-0-13195000-1441334273_thumb.jpg

post-18711-0-39519100-1441334312_thumb.jpg

post-18711-0-83180800-1441334458_thumb.jpg

Well done, Jeff.  The pinrails look good, stanchions all nice and even..  :)  And the puddening on the anchors is often overlooked. 

Mark

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:

Thanks mark for the encouraging comments Starting to pull a lot of the little things together she's starting to take shape I know she isn't perfect but I am learning since this is my first large ship I've added but not glued the pins and glued down the deck furnishings finish the banisters tidding up things

post-18711-0-16270300-1441522575_thumb.jpg

post-18711-0-90984800-1441522588_thumb.jpg

post-18711-0-98327800-1441522601_thumb.jpg

post-18711-0-18191000-1441522616_thumb.jpg

post-18711-0-79148500-1441522631_thumb.jpg

post-18711-0-86927300-1441522645_thumb.jpg

post-18711-0-03364600-1441522698_thumb.jpg

Edited by Jparsley

She's really coming alive.  Carry on, mate!

Augie

Current Build: US Frigate Confederacy - MS 1:64

Previous Builds :

US Brig Syren (MS) - 2013 (see Completed Ship Gallery)

Greek Tug Ulises (OcCre) - 2009 (see Completed Ship Gallery)

Victory Cross Section (Corel) - 1988

Essex (MS) 1/8"- 1976

Cutty Sark (Revell 1:96) - 1956

She's really starting to come together!  Always fun to see the deck start to get filled up with neat details!

Great work!

Cheers,

Nigel.

Current Build Logs: H.M.S. Triton Cross SectionUSF Confederacy Model Shipways

Completed Log: Red Dragon Artesania Latina

Gallery: Red Dragon: Artesania Latina

Member:  Nautical Research Guild

Excellent progress, Jeff.  Looking good.  There is a learning curve, isn't there.  :huh:    What I've learned is that the learning curve continues... well... forever. :P

Mark

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:

Ok Started working on the starboard davits and long boat Not leaving the boat white Mainly just wanted to get rid of the grey metal color built the inside out of wood to make it a little less heavy and more true to the ship I can tell you now that the emergency steering chain is proving to be a pain to attach My big old fingers don't work well with tiny chain links Oh well I've done harder things

post-18711-0-82273900-1441854941_thumb.jpg

post-18711-0-02676500-1441854973_thumb.jpg

post-18711-0-68566100-1441854994_thumb.jpg

post-18711-0-40774000-1441855025_thumb.jpg

Edited by Jparsley