Hannah by Major - Amati - BOTTLE - my first build

Hi Tom:

Saw a fresh post, but no pics!!! That's ok....still recovering from the Hannah, though excited to see where you take her. I would never have considered smoking the interior of the bottle - an interesting idea and quite a puzzle.....I'm sure someone will have a suggestion - unfortunately, it's not me!! Looking forward to seeing your progress and hope you get a chance to get back to the table soon

hamilton

current builds: Corel HMS Bellona (1780); Admiralty models Echo cross-section (semi-scratch)

previous builds: MS Phantom (scuttled, 2017); MS Sultana (1767); Corel Brittany Sloop (scuttled, 2022); MS Kate Cory; MS Armed Virginia Sloop (in need of a refit); Corel Flattie; Mamoli Gretel; Amati Bluenose (1921) (scuttled, 2023); AL San Francisco (destroyed by land krakens [i.e., cats]); Corel Toulonnaise (1823); 
MS Glad Tidings (1937) (in need of a refit)HMS Blandford (1719) from Corel HMS GreyhoundFair Rosamund (1832) from OcCre Dos Amigos (missing in action); Amati Hannah (ship in a bottle); Mamoli America (1851)Bluenose fishing schooner (1921) (scratch); Off-Centre Sailing Skiff (scratch)

under the bench: MS Emma C Barry; MS USS Constitution; MS Flying Fish; Corel Berlin; a wood supplier Colonial Schooner Hannah; Victory Models H.M.S. Fly; CAF Models HMS Granado; MS USS Confederacy

Hi Tom,

I just wanted to offer to moisten the sail white glue diluted with water. This will give it a shape.

It is also possible to make the sail from a thin cloth (percale.

post-17539-0-10562300-1442921793_thumb.jpg

Epoxy. I have used the epoxy resin several times. I have dyed it with using the gel from pens.

post-17539-0-89252800-1442922030_thumb.jpg

post-17539-0-77475500-1442922090_thumb.jpg

If by smoking the bottle you mean adding a white foggy look then I have just the thing.  I learned this accidentally since it wasn't what I intended but it may be what your looking for.  Any how I've used super glue since I started.  For a patience bottle builder I'm not very patient with my glue.  There's a major problem with it when it comes to bottling ships though.  Early on I would glue my lines down cut them off and seal up the completed bottle.  This was all well and good except that the fumes from the super glue would eventually fog up the inside of the bottle.  Then I would spend hours cleaning out the white fog from the glass.  I learned I had to glue the lines then turn the bottle opening up and wait a good five minutes before I sealed up the bottle.  If you want a smokey look though grab a glass soda bottle from the store and try putting a drop of super glue in it and sealing it up.  Might be what your looking for.  

Also if you spread a nice thin layer on one side and then cut into it with an exacto blade you can get a cracked glass look with out cracking the glass.  Learned that one putting seagulls in flying around the bottle.   

• 4 years later...

Good evening all. 

It has been a while since I last posted here. Only few days ago I dug our my old project with intentions to finish it - it was exactly as I left it in its plastic box. Of course it couldn’t be easy - I’ve lost instructions. I did look on the net, I wrote post here and messaged few members I suspected might be able to help me. And help they did, I had fantastic response. Thank you all gents, especially you @Gaffrig  

As it stands, I need to tie few more knots and ship will be ready to go into bottle. I forgot how tiny she was, must admit this evening was quite “exciting”. 

More to follow soon. 
Regards

Tom

17BE04A0-7A60-4EB1-9BC2-991E491CBE4B.jpeg

Liberate my madness!!!

Hannah

Just having some more time with little Hannah. I finished all the lines and managed to make few mistakes on the way. I figured out it will work ok if I glue some threads to metal pieces to keep the sails positioned nicely. It was a shame that I couldn’t fold her afterwards so had to redo few bits. Also I broke the piece on the bow again and had to solder it back into its place. I hope it will hold. 

Now the most stressful step - attaching her to the stand in bottle. I just hope I won’t get a call to work 😂

Regards

Tom

86EDBCC8-2B98-4D55-8F00-5CDC7E820ACC.jpeg

Liberate my madness!!!

Hannah

Looks great!  I had a problem with the PE too.  Have to be careful not to bend them too much or they will break apart.  I also had a problem with the main mast being a touch too tall for some reason which made the bottling tricky.

Mike

Current Wooden builds:  Amati/Victory Pegasus  MS Charles W. Morgan  Euromodel La Renommèe  

Plastic builds:    SB2U-1 Vindicator 1/48  Five Star Yaeyama 1/700  Pit Road Asashio and Akashi 1/700 diorama  Walrus 1/48 and Albatross 1/700  Special Hobby Buffalo 1/32  Eduard Sikorsky JRS-1 1/72  IJN Notoro 1/700  Akitsu Maru 1/700

Completed builds :  Caldercraft Brig Badger   Amati Hannah - Ship in Bottle  Pit Road Hatsuzakura 1/700   Hasegawa Shimakaze 1:350

F4B-4 and P-6E 1/72  Accurate Miniatures F3F-1/F3F-2 1/48  Tamiya F4F-4 Wildcat built as FM-1 1/48  Special Hobby Buffalo 1/48

Citroen 2CV 1/24 - Airfix and Tamiya  Entex Morgan 3-wheeler 1/16

Terminated build:  HMS Lyme (based on Corel Unicorn)  

On the shelf:  Euromodel Friedrich Wilhelm zu Pferde; Caldercraft Victory; too many plastic ship, plane and car kits

Future potential scratch builds:  HMS Lyme (from NMM plans); Le Gros Ventre (from Ancre monographs), Dutch ship from Ab Hoving book, HMS Sussex from McCardle book, Philadelphia gunboat (Smithsonian plans)

9 minutes ago, Landlubber Mike said:

Looks great!  I had a problem with the PE too.  Have to be careful not to bend them too much or they will break apart.  I also had a problem with the main mast being a touch too tall for some reason which made the bottling tricky.

Thank you. 

It was very stressful indeed. One of masts bent so much I thought it will break. I also got hull fogged up from CA glue, which annoyed me more than anything. I will be adding some epoxy glue to imitate water and to try and cover it. Other than that she is done. 

I also nicked some wooden box from my mrs to make stand for it. I’m hoping I’ll be able to post her last photo later on today. 

Liberate my madness!!!

Hannah

• 2 weeks later...