Charon Boatman of the River Styx by bensid54

Good point Arthur this is going to be tricky. Trouble with the wood that will be exposed to the water so it has to be sealed which may give it some gloss, unless there is a type of wood that can resist water like teak maybe. I could always make a clear plastic hull and glue the planks to it with CA glue, that could be a plan. I've started working on his hands the left hand will rotate the right hand will move up and down. They are rough now but once I finish the arms I will finish and fit the hands.

post-12226-0-05781800-1461715396_thumb.jpg

post-12226-0-82173000-1461715398_thumb.jpg

I was thinking of your hull and here's another idea.  Build it out of wood to look the way you want.  Fill any gaps with clay then fiber glass the inside and wash out the clay.  This way the gaps would not be filled with anything but the fiberglass on the inside would waterproof it and hold it all together.

Bob

Every build is a learning experience.

Current build:  SS_ Mariefred

Completed builds:  US Coast Guard Pequot   Friendship-sloop,  Schooner Lettie-G.-Howard,   Spray,   Grand-Banks-dory

a gaff rigged yawl,  HOGA (YT-146),  Int'l Dragon Class II,   Two Edwardian Launches 

In the Gallery:   Catboat,   International-Dragon-Class,   Spray

So he's not a union member then?

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

You are well on  your way.  That is is some realistic rowing motion going on there.

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

They're coming along really well mate; he'll be paddlin' along before you know it.

cheers

Pat

If at first you do not suceed, try, and then try again!
Current build: HMCSS Victoria (Scratch)

Next build: HMAS Vampire (3D printed resin, scratch 1:350)

Built:          Battle Station (Scratch) and HM Bark Endeavour 1768 (kit 1:64)

Thanks Steven it has been a collaboration of AEW and myself to get to this point, he did the first mock up and is responsible for the programing of the Ardiuno board to give it the lifelike motion. Arthur I have been going over the tipping of the paddle and what you suggested regarding a lever on the oar is one of the things I mulled over until last night. The cable idea came to me as you suggested but with a twist, which would be to set it up as a belt and pulley configuration. I can remotely mount the servo with two idler pulleys turning on an axis independent of the elbow and shoulder, tricky but doable. I think I will need to go to the local fisheries supply and get some gillnet repair twine to do the job, that stuff has no give and is about the strongest twine/cable I can use. As far as the oar being on the same plane I like this better because he can be centre of the boat and clear the Starboard side with the oar just like a person would do when rowing a boat standing up. I showed my wife the video all proud of myself and she said " Where's the boat I don't like it it's stupid when are you going to grow up?" I didn't have the heart to tell her that if I haven't grown up by the time I'm sixty I likely won't, sometimes the girl just doesn't get it!

Yes belt tension is a concern your idea has merit and is feasible. Another possibility Arthur is he will have a robe and his arms will be covered up to his hands, so with that in mind I can hide a servo near his hands under the sleeves of his robe. I could actually hang it from the paddle and anchor it on his forearm using a pin and guide that way the servo won't restrict his movement.

The only difference between men and boys id the price of the toys. We never really grow up!

Ken

Started: MS Bounty Longboat,

On Hold:  Heinkel USS Choctaw paper

Down the road: Shipyard HMC Alert 1/96 paper, Mamoli Constitution Cross, MS USN Picket Boat #1

Scratchbuild: Echo Cross Section

Member Nautical Research Guild

• 3 weeks later...

Wow, that is looking good mate; love the evil eye stare :)

Have you though of adding a small sound device to play "funeral/eerie" music as he rows to mask the servo noise (no sneaking up otherwise ;))

cheers

Pat

I am pretty sure there are small programmable device the RC people use on which you can record the music/sound, and the triggers, length to play etc.  Some kind hearted soul whom has the ability may be able to dub the selected music with creaks, graons and oar splash even :)  Too ambitious?

cheers

Pat

Edited by BANYAN

Get some "sugar cube" speakers, like in a cell phone. Also, check out the tiny speakers the model railroaders use inside their locomotives.

Ken

Started: MS Bounty Longboat,

On Hold:  Heinkel USS Choctaw paper

Down the road: Shipyard HMC Alert 1/96 paper, Mamoli Constitution Cross, MS USN Picket Boat #1

Scratchbuild: Echo Cross Section

Member Nautical Research Guild