Hr. Ms. O 19 1938 by Piet - FINISHED - scale 1:50 - submarine of the Royal Navy Netherlands in service 1939 - 1945

Thanks again everyone for dropping in and your kind remarks and "like" votes.

Today was a research day thus no shipyard work.

@ John (texxn5), yes, it's tempting and not out of the picture.  It's not as simple as all that you know.  There is nothing behind the outside planking and I have to simulate a part of the pressure hull too and have nothing to attach it to.  The side frames are equally difficult to get in through that small hole.  We'll see.

@ Mark, thanks for your approval of the torp tubes.  Yes, the mine tube can go all the way to the bottom, that's not my biggest problem, it's what I mentioned to John.  I need to think about a method that can accomplish it without doing any damage to the hull.  Hmmmm, foam  :o  there is already foam inside but we could scoop some out and redo it - - - - - and - - -  I'm thinking - - - - I'm thinking - - - -

@John (Lad), right, easy peasy right???  :)  :)  Yes, the idea was to do it with just one mine tube.  I have the specs for the mines and several photos, that's not a or the problem.  

@ Boris, yes indeed !  My face is red from embarrassment  :blush:  Just not paying attention, but this is an easy fix  :)  If all my errors are this simple - - - - 

@ Michael, thanks for the info, appreciate it.  Remco suggested to make my own decals by printing it on decal "paper" or whatever it's called.  I'll certainly look at model railroad decals.  That'll be good for the small numbers but the large letters and numbers for the con may not be available.  BTW I love model railroads our daughter and I were at one time building a nice N gauge layout on a 4 X 8 framed table.  Oh well, things got in the way and the trains are in a box in her garage for the last 34 years, Wow, how time flies.

Thanks again all y'all for your encouraging words and help.

Now I need to get busy with drawing up the plans for the conning tower.

Cheers,

Piet, The Flying Dutchman.

"Your greatest asset is not the quantity of your friends , rather the quality of your friends."  (old Chinese proverb)

Current Builds: Hr. Ms. Java 1925-1942

VOC Ship Surabaya

Planned Builds: Young America Diorama - scale 1:3000

Future Builds: KPM ship "MS Musi."  Zuiderzee Botter - scale 1:25. VOC Jacht in a 6" lamp,  Buginese fishing Prauw.  Hr. Ms. Java - Royal Navy Netherlands Cruiser.

Completed Builds:   Hr. Ms. O16 Submarine

Hr. Ms. O19 - Submarine Royal Navy Netherlands

Ship Yard Diorama with Topsail schooner -

Friendship Sloop Gwenfra

Muscongus Bay Lobster Smack    

Golden Hind - Cutte Sark (both not in this forum)

Ah - so that is where the rail came from that you used. I have visions of your daughter deciding to "play trains" in the future and finding her locos bouncing along on rail-less sleepers (ties)! :)  :)  :)

Re the mines - go for it! It will look brilliant along with the rest of the craft. :)

Ian M.

Current build: HMS Unicorn  (1748) - Corel Kit

Advice from my Grandfather to me. The only people who don't make mistakes are those who stand back and watch. The trick is not to repeat the error. 

Greetings to Elia, Popeye, Banyan, Sjors, Anthony, Ian and Boris and thank you all for dropping in.  Did you get enough beer and popcorn?  Sjors was buying  :D  :D

@ Ian, you know, our daughter is still talking about it and planning to build that railroad.  She and I designed a nice little mining and lumbering layout, with a small river loading dock! 

As far as the mine issue goes, it's really tempting but let me get my head wrapped around drawing up the plans for the con first, then we;ll see - - - - or sooner  ;)

@ Boris, yes, thanks for sending these, they are great and add to my collection.  I have send you also a few pics I found in my files and the digital pics Remco send me from the Navy Archive.  You could machine them from copper or wood or sculpt them from Sculpy.  I'm waiting for the copper that Paul mailed to me and will try to use that.

@ Popeye, thanks for looking.  Remco also came up with an idea and we are looking into that as well.  Fortunately there are only a few letters and numbers I need  :)  The small ones at the bow for the load levels are the ones that can be gotten from model railroad places.

Well, today was also a day away from the shipyard.  Went to our monthly colored pencil society chapter meeting and then mowed our backyard lawn.  

Besides the mine issue I am also in a dilemma about the bow side anchor.  Remco went to the Navy Archive and could find nothing on that anchor but according to three photos I have there seem to have been a small standard anchor.  I'll show the pics below.  I won't cut into the side of the deck structure until I have something more positive on the anchor.  I think that this will also be guesswork but as long as it looks similar to what I see on the photo then I'll be happy.

I'll also add a few pics of mines being loaded.  These are training mines by the way.  This too was not a simple procedure.

This shows the O 19 surfacing after a test dive in Scotland after she was overhauled in 1944.  When you enlarge the picture you should be able to see the bottom of a small anchor.

post-1399-0-24245100-1384141584.jpg

This is what I think this anchor could look like.

post-1399-0-63271500-1384141642.jpg

This is another example of the type anchor they could have used, much smaller of course.

post-1399-0-70907300-1384140903_thumb.jpg

post-1399-0-25361500-1384140948_thumb.jpg

Cheers, 

"Your greatest asset is not the quantity of your friends , rather the quality of your friends."  (old Chinese proverb)

VOC Ship Surabaya

Future Builds: KPM ship "MS Musi."  Zuiderzee Botter - scale 1:25. VOC Jacht in a 6" lamp,  Buginese fishing Prauw.  Hr. Ms. Java - Royal Navy Netherlands Cruiser.

Friendship Sloop Gwenfra

Hello Piet,

Nice pictures. I am saving lots of them to print them and put on small frames at home. Can I ask the purpose of those "teeth plate" at the stem? The same that has on the rudder. I am wondering since the post when you were fixing the propellers.

Thanks!

Daniel.

Greetings to Freek, Ian, Daniel, mark and Elia, thanks for dropping in.

@ John (Lad), Yes, that is also my thinking.  It certainly looks like a small Hall type anchor and most likely an auxiliary anchor relying on the mushroom anchor that drops down from the bottom of the keel.

@ Daniel, That's a great idea making a collage of these pics.  I want to make a nice folder or binder to put most of the photos I have with the plans and a historical narrative on the O 19 and place it with the finished model.  The purpose of the "teeth" at the bow and stern parts are to function as net and cable cutters.  They are supposed to enable the sub to cut through security nets of enemy harbors that are suppose to prevent subs or surface ships from entering.

@ Freek, Thanks for photo of the K XVIII in it's build dock.  It clearly shows the place where the anchor is stowed.  I don't think that the K XVIII had a keel drop-down anchor as the O 19 and O 20 had.  It also looks a little larger and is at the starboard side  The picture in my previous post with the O 19 surfacing, and a few others I have, it appears that the O 19 and O 20 had some extra metal in front of the anchor opening as fairings.

I now vaguely remember having seen a photo of an earlier sub where the bottom of the anchor is clearly visible on the side.  I guess I could go back to the picture archive of the KM and search for it.  However, at this point I'm pretty well convinced in how to shape my anchor.

Not much activity in the shipyard, I had to run a few errands.  I was also hunting for a few previously marked angle pieces for the bow net / chain cutter.  I Put them with other "to do" things but they got moved underneath some of them and overlooked them.  :angry:   

I did cement the rails on the beams above the deck launched torpedo tubes. I got sick and tired at looking at that open hole in the deck  :rolleyes:  And it emptied the "to do" shelf some so I won't loose them again  ;)  Now I can also add the missing decking and make the hatch doors between the tracks.  I just don't want to think about all the hinge pieces I still have to make  ;)

I also did some "Googling" to find model anchors.  The one in the top of the pics of yesterday's post I found at a place in the UK, "cornwallmodelboats. com.  I think it's probably the best illustration to model my anchor on.  Should not be too difficult.  

So, now I have pictures and drawings for the anchor and the propellers, great - - - what else do I need - - - plenty!  The deck gun and the two AA guns to start with.  I do have a few nice photos of the deck gun so that should not be a big problem to model.  Next I have to find some good pics of the AA guns.

Then back to sketching the draft working drawings for the con.  It's all a slow process.

post-1399-0-43745100-1384222309_thumb.jpg

Here is a nice photo of the O 19 dockside in Alexandria, Egypt.  As you all can see she did not yet have her teeth yet, these were added later on.  This was sometime June 1939 when my father sailed on her when she was on the way to the NOI (Netherlands East Indies).  Oh, I still remember the stories my father told us about that voyage.  One was how they caught a shark in the Indian Ocean and he brought a few teeth with him to show us, and they were sharp!  How do I know?  I cut myself, that's how and my father was laughing. 

This one is for your collage Ian, hope you like it. 

Cheers,

VOC Ship Surabaya

Friendship Sloop Gwenfra

Hello every one and thanks to Mark, Daniel, Sjors, Nenad and Freek for dropping in, much appreciate the encouragement. 

@ Freek, You know, I just overlooked that anchor on the floor of the dock, even with that cable running down.  Hmmm - - - what kind of excuses can I dream up - - - Not many, just not paying attention  :rolleyes:  And yes, that looks like a Hall type anchor all right.  Should be an interesting project making one. 

Well, today the Admiral wanted me to cut down a bush or two in the backyard so very little time in the shipyard. I did manage to cut the decking pieces between the rails over the deck torp launcher and cement them in.

Then I dry-fit the N-gauge rail tracks to see how they look but now I have to grind off the sides of the top of the rails.  It measured to .8 mm and at my scale of 1:50 that works out to 40 mm wide.  Much to wide for the original rails.  After grinding away the excess it measured to .2 mm which is closer to scale.  I can't get it any thinner and besides, it is the same thickness as the brass rails I made for over the deck torp launcher.  It's just a lot of work to that to do all the rails though but so what - - -  ;)

I also started on making the two small net / cable cutters at the stern end just forward and above the propeller bearing housing.  

The mailman also delivered the 21/32 inch brass tubing for the crew escape hatches  :D  :D  Now I can also cut them to size and make the ladders for them.  I think though that I'll make the bow net / cable cutters and install them first.  I need to lift the model out of it's build dock to fasten them to the bottom part and need to have the deck clear of any obstructions.

Let me show the work I did this afternoon, I'm quite happy with it  :)  :)

post-1399-0-07047700-1384309006_thumb.jpg

This is looking forward and shows the rails and associated decking installed.  Remember that I cut that part of the deck out some time ago and only made two rails for one row of hatch doors.  This was not in accordance with the drawings and photos of the real boat.  So I had to redo all that.  I tried to make the deck pieces fit as tight as I could manage and even the photos show very little edge seams, I am happy with it.  There is no putty used!  The "teak" deck slats will cover most of whatever seam is visible and then painted.

That steel hunk to the left in the pic is a bucking bar (I used in a previous life repairing aircraft) to hold the deck pieces down, the same with the socket wrenches with a steel bar on top.  As it turned out it didn't hold the pieces down tight enough so I mixed some 1 minute epoxy and held it down by hand.  Yeah, it says it's 5 minute epoxy but even when I mix less hardener in it it still cures rather fast.  I don't mind it but I can only work with one or two things at a time.

post-1399-0-68986900-1384309028_thumb.jpg

This is the same work but now looking aft.  

Cheers, 

VOC Ship Surabaya

Friendship Sloop Gwenfra

The wood adds a very nice touch Piet.  It also looks like you have the anchor situation under control.  Looking at the mine loading operation, it doesn't appear to me that it would be so difficult to add.  I guess it could be one of those "easier said than done" items, however from my humble opinion it sure would look nice.  Get the Con going, you can always add the mine later.

John

Current Current Builds:

US Brig Niagara on my website

FINISHED BUILD LOGS:

New Bedford Whaleboat - page on my Morgan Website:  http://www.charleswmorganmodel.com/whaleboat-build-log-by-john-fleming.html

C.W. Morgan - Model Shipways 1:64 http://modelshipworld.com/index.php?/topic/1785-cw-morgan-by-texxn5-johnf-ms-164-kit/

USS Constitution - Revell 1:96 http://modelshipworld.com/index.php?/topic/1796-uss-constitution-by-texxn5-johnf-revell-196-kit/

website US Brig Niagara Model http://www.niagaramodel.com

website Charles W Morgan Model http://www.charleswmorganmodel.com

website PROXXON DISCOUNT TOOL STORE http://proxxontoolsdiscount.com

nice progress Piet..........it's coming along great!

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller
Phylly C & Denny-Zen - the Lobsie twins - bashed & semi scratch dual build

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Billing's Gothenborg 1:100 / Billing's Boulogne Etaples 1:20
Billing's Half Moon 1:40 - some scratch required
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400
Trawler Syborn - semi scratch / Holiday Harbor dual build - semi scratch

Tanks for looking in Adriaan, Popeye, Sherry, Sjors, Daniel and Mark and for your like votes, much appreciated.

@ John (Lad), thank you for agreeing with me  ;)  Yes, fitting these small pieces of decking was time consuming, filing wood away one molecule at a time  ;)  but in the end it paid off, I only had to remake one piece.

@ John Texxn5), yup, it sure makes a big difference with the deck closed.  Now I need to make the hatch doors that fit in between the rails.  The anchor should not be a big problem.  I have to wait for the copper to arrive from Paul out of Malta, provided there is enough left over from making the propeller blades.

Well, yeah, the mine storage tube issue looks very simple but in reality it's really not.  There has to be a part of the round pressure hull visible behind the tubes and on each side is a frame with on the topside a flange with lighting holes.  All that has to be made and then try to worm it inside an empty space with nothing to adhere it to.  How do you attach something to nothing?  You have to make that something first and then see how to wriggle it inside that small opening. Magic??   ;)  ;)   But I'm thinking about it though.  Yes indeed, I'm forging ahead with the needed work before the con and am still making sketches for it.

@ Popeye, thanks my friend for your encouragement.  Am very curious about your three-ship holiday project  :)

Today I did some metal work for a change.  I made the small horizontal net / cable cutters at the stern, the ones just above the prop shaft bearing housing, and the bow net / cable cutter.  They are just cemented on with epoxy and in "the raw" so to speak.

No pics though because I want to first dress them up nice for all yuns to look at.  I bend small strips of .3 mm brass sheet to 90 degrees to create a small edge to solder to a strip of .2mm brass sheet.  This way I can bend them to the curve of the bow without the teeth part separating.  I used a small cut-off disk to shape the teeth but had to finalize it with a knife edge file.  They came out okay.  A final touching up after the cement has cured. 

Did I hear "paint the bottom of the boat"?  Hmmmm, my hearing is playing tricks on me, again  :)  That's what happens when you get old - - - - I mean - - - respectably ancient  :D  :D  :D  

This is it then for this day and now back to my drafting table and work some more on the conning tower drawings.

All y'all have a great rest of the day or new day, whichever case may be.

Cheers, 

VOC Ship Surabaya

Friendship Sloop Gwenfra

Sounds good Piet.  Might be time to break out your engineering skills to figure this one out....might be worth the effort.   No pressure from any of us though, we wouldn't do that to you....

John

Current Current Builds:

FINISHED BUILD LOGS:

New Bedford Whaleboat - page on my Morgan Website:  http://www.charleswmorganmodel.com/whaleboat-build-log-by-john-fleming.html

C.W. Morgan - Model Shipways 1:64 http://modelshipworld.com/index.php?/topic/1785-cw-morgan-by-texxn5-johnf-ms-164-kit/

USS Constitution - Revell 1:96 http://modelshipworld.com/index.php?/topic/1796-uss-constitution-by-texxn5-johnf-revell-196-kit/

Sounds good Piet.  Might be time to break out your engineering skills to figure this one out....might be worth the effort.   No pressure from any of us though, we wouldn't do that to you....

Hmmmmm - - - - I'm waking up the woodworms in my skull to help me out, nothing else there but sawdust.  No pressure - - - says he with a straight face too, and yes, all yuns LOVE to turn the screws on to this old - - - uh oh, there is that dreaded word again - - - befuddled ex Dutchman  :D  :D  :D

Well, as I said before, I am thinking about it - - - - - as he is pulling what little hair he has left from his head  ;)  ;)  :P

Cheers,

VOC Ship Surabaya

Friendship Sloop Gwenfra

AUTHENTIC DECALS

Model Train Stuff - HO Scale Microscale Decals

Decals :: Decals, Trim, Pilots, Scale Accessories :: Airplane Hardware :: Airplanes :: Advantage Hobby

FLIGHTDECS~PRODUCT LISTING

Scale Model Decals

this is just some of the sites I have listed........I hope you find something good  ;)    I'll look forward in seeing the coning tower.  I had a funny thought,  after reading your post.   "Gee,  with the coning tower on there,  it will be hard to flip 'er over."   of course,  I thought about it for a moment,  and then gave myself the 'Denozo headslap'............on saw horses......what-douya think :D :D :D :D

you don't need encouragement........I think you have enough  'drive'  for the both of us  :)   I will cheer you on though.......I think your doing a fantastic job!  ;)

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400

Oh yes, my face was  and is complete straight....

John

Current Current Builds:

FINISHED BUILD LOGS:

Hello all y'all ship builders and thanks for dropping in and your like votes!

@ Popeye, wow, thanks for spending the time to scrounge up those URL's.  I'll be looking into it and see what I can find that I can use.  The O 19 numbers and letters is rather odd and I may have to avail on Remco to make them for me.  He has a method to duplicate them exactly as they were.

@ John (texxn5), and why do I see a sh-t eat'n grin on your face?  Straight face indeed  :D  :D  :D  Just for yuns info - - - there is a plan being cooked up by them sawdust worms, miracles are not out of this world yet  :)  :)  ;)  :P

@ John (Lad), you know, I thrive on pressure, makes me think harder - - - - uh oh, what's that stuff coming out of my ears??  Oh - - - it's smoke!  Brain is heating up  :D  :D

Cheers,

VOC Ship Surabaya

Friendship Sloop Gwenfra

Oh my Piet.....was it that obvious???  would I do something like that????

John

Current Current Builds:

FINISHED BUILD LOGS:

Thank you all for dropping in, enjoy the fresh popcorn and some good belgian ale.

@ John (texxn5), hmmmm, yes John  :P  I have X-ray eyes that bounce off of the satilite and see you smirk'n  :D  :D

Well, today I dressed up the net - cable cutters I cemented on yesterday and prepped the boat ready for painting the bottom.  

I took her outside to paint, weather was nice and warm, some sunshine and very little wind.  I masked the the hull above waterline 7, that's the one with the dock bumper or wale.  This was mainly done to keep the overspray off of the white primer.  The paint I was originally going to use was just the wrong red so I bought a "rattle can" of RustOleum Satin Paprika.  I is not quite the same as the color photo of the model but it's close enough.

The reason for a red bottom is that below water it appears more like a very dark brown.  At night all red colors appear black.

After I removed the masking paper I let the boat sit outside to let the paint dry and went inside for lunch.

After lunch I made a few pics for the profile thingy and took the boat back into the garage and put it on the build board.  I shouldn't have to remove for some time now and can proceed with the stuff on and above the deck.

I cut two round holes in the deck structure for the escape hatches and cut two 17 mm brass tubes for the hatch tubes.  One more to go just aft of the deck launcher and between the tracks.

Talking about tracks, I completed grinding the flanges away from the four pieces of N gauge tracks that will be cemented forward of the con.  There are still some long ones to tackle that going aft.

I also made six of the torpedo loading access hatch doors above the deck launcher.  There will be three on each side.  The rest going aft will be simulated between the rails like the rest of other hatch doors except those at the dingy "hangar."

Well, that was a productive day and am pleased how she is turning out.  Can't wait for the con to go on but must exercise patience  ;)

Okay, here are the pics of today's work.

post-1399-0-40083000-1384480288_thumb.jpg

This is a close-up of the bow net /cable cutter. There will be a "steel rod" structure at the bow for the antenna support and there will also be an extension of the net /cable cutter on top of the center steel tube.  There is still a lot of small detail work to do.

post-1399-0-11181100-1384480316_thumb.jpg

This shows the small horizontal net / cable cutters on the side of the hull.

post-1399-0-54859300-1384480356_thumb.jpg

This pic shows the masking for the overspray.

post-1399-0-54634100-1384480398_thumb.jpg

A shot of the now freshly painted bottom of the gull.  

post-1399-0-06088600-1384480425_thumb.jpg

Another shot of the freshly painted bottom.  At the bow and stern I painted it a little higher then the intended demarkation line of the red bottom and the green top.  Reason is that I can now feather the small sections to prevent a masking line under the green.  The demarkation line will be at waterline 7, which is at the dock bumper or wale.  That line will be level with the waterline from stem to stern.  Thus some of the red you see here will disappear under the green.

You can also see the mushroom anchor at the keel close to the bow.

post-1399-0-62508400-1384480576_thumb.jpg

I placed the painted hull in front of the garage door for some nice shots of the hull 

post-1399-0-03347900-1384480605_thumb.jpg

post-1399-0-70840600-1384480633_thumb.jpg

post-1399-0-29139800-1384480651_thumb.jpg

Here you see the six hatch doors between the tracks over the deck torpedo launcher.  They are ready to get their hinges put on.  Further to the bow you can see the forward exit hatch tube. This thing is just stuck into the hole, it still needs a ladder, hinges and the pressure door before I can permanently cement it in place.  

Cheers,

VOC Ship Surabaya

Friendship Sloop Gwenfra

Looking great, Piet.   Hard to believe it's all wood and paper under that paint and not actual metal.

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

Beautyful bow Piet!

I would´t like to be in front of her diving around... It looks so agressive and pretty at the same time. Anyway, I thought you were goint to painted lioke the one you show us in the first posts, green, black, grey. Those cable net cuts are hand made or you photoetched them?

Nice blue rusty bucket :D !!

Best wishes Piet!

Daniel.

love the paint Piet......you must be very happy to have hit this milestone! :)    wonderful work!

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

Wow Piet, congratulations my friend.  What a great milestone.  The primer was a clue, but the red is the prize.  Pop out the Belgian Ale for this one...I'll bend an elbow to ya a little later in the day.....Really fine.  Now enough celebration and check out the view from your satelite......the grin is being photographed.....I somehow see mines in your near future....Proost!

John

Current Current Builds:

FINISHED BUILD LOGS: