HMS Victory by Sheerline - Corel - 1:98

Well, after some unusually fine weather and several weeks of gardening I'm back on the build.

I've just finished tapering the last planking - left to dry out from the bending process.

Has anyone else dropped a plank end into their mug of tea instead of the hot water jug?

Lost count tbh but still drank the tea!

The hull looks like a porcupine at the moment but the planks look reasonable considering my shakey start.  Edge gluing next and then tidy up the stern and make a hardwood stern post. This will need some careful thought about two layers of planks and how they arrive at the post. I have found some useful pointers in Keith Juliet's book. I will sharpen up all the chisels and scrapers for a final profiling of the hull which apart from a bit of clinkering doesn't look too evil!

Take care everyone and stay safe.🌈

IMG_20200607_150051.jpg

IMG_20200607_150024.jpg

Nice work Chris - that looks to be a pretty good first layer of planking. A significant milestone in the build- congratulations! :champagne-popping-smiley-emotic

You’ll find the second layer of planking much, much easier.

• 2 weeks later...

The hull is all shaped pretty near final finish. I used some very sharp chisels to pare down that clinkering followed by sandpaper pinned to a bit of broom handle. It looks fairly symmetrical . Running a thinner plank along the hull here and there it looks ok. Now getting the angle of the dangle correct at the stern prior to making a hardwood stern post.  This will have a rabbet cut in to accept and clamp the second planking. That's the theory anyway!

Think I'm going to have to re-establish the rabbet where it's filled with glue which seems harder to work than the wood. Steady as she goes...

IMG_20200619_163354.jpg

IMG_20200619_163435.jpg

IMG_20200619_163520.jpg

IMG_20200619_163638.jpg

That’s looking nice and smooth Chris - should give you a great foundation for that second layer.

• 2 weeks later...

Following the first planking I found the model wouldn't sit on the keel properly so any height references would be askew.

I've chopped out the strips either side of the keel now, just leaving a section fore and aft to lodge the keel on the board. I've also added extra brackets to the build board along with pieces of wood bolted through the superstructure to lock everything in place. Fettled the stern planks a little and marked out for stern post which will be tapered top to bottom.

I might try the hardwood designated for the stand which I also used to make some stern frames ages ago now it seems! Looking ahead and hoping to avoid any rocks....

I thought I would have a look at the main wale today as I wasn't 100% sure about the gun ports. Remember I used a copy of drawing 2C to transfer the positions to the hull. It took me a while to check the reference heights relative to everything else but got there in the end. I dislike those very thick lines used on some of the drawings..In the end I only needed to mark heights at each port aft of the door as nearly all the other ports forward the top plank just a fraction under the bottom of the ports. Except the two most FWD where the gun port frame cuts into the wale a little bit. In the end it came down to a bit of eye balling and I used a couple of spare first planks each side to lay out the run and curves. Pinned temporarily I can now use this as a reference for the second proper plank underneath without having to rush the gluing process.

Happily it looks right to drawing and every height at each station is the same on both sides of the hull. I'm really glad too that I re marked the waterline after sanding that was very useful. I'm looking at the stern area now and how these wale planks ride up underneath. There seems to be a lot of coming together in the transom area and those 'funny bits' on the side! Time to break out the mahogany....

IMG_20200701_143111.jpg

IMG_20200701_143056.jpg

IMG_20200701_143021.jpg

IMG_20200701_143001.jpg

IMG_20200701_142948.jpg

First walnut wale plank beneath marking strake fitted. Didn't think though I might get glue seepage under the strake but it came off easily enough with gentle scraping.

Found the walnut a lot harder to bend especially around the stern/lower transom area, it's quite a tight turn at this point.  Lots of soaking and using the shank of the hot plank bender did it. I needed to get these right as the visual impact  of the arrival and upward sweep at the stern is obvious. I put a little nick with a scalpel by each port, just on the corner edges so I don't lose sight of where they are. I've started the second planking..yippee!IMG_20200704_075748.thumb.jpg.0762ba05fec5122c1939f38caeb6f1d7.jpg

IMG_20200704_075708.jpg

IMG_20200704_075537.jpg

IMG_20200702_170657.jpg

OK. So Wales are fitted at this level and I've offered up the previously made stern counter to see how it all goes together. I've marked the width of this on the main wales so I can cut where necessary to let in the counter back to the aftmost frame. Very carefully re cutting the rabbet line to take the 1mm final planking. At the stern the thickness of the first planking has been fettled a bit too -  allowing for the additional 2mm of final planking.  Trying to maintain something of a taper here for the stern post shape. 😀

IMG_20200706_121308.jpg

IMG_20200706_121335.jpg

IMG_20200706_121624.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Got the main wale and the one above fitted now with a uniform gap between the two of 10mm. I used a pencil compass to strike the line using the topside of the main wale as a reference.Cosy for two planks..Got the garboard strake on too which was easier to do after the experience of first planking!

Currently trying to line out the hull for planking but still a bit uncertain about the layout. I've read all the tutorials which helped and layed the strake in as near a natural flow as possible. However, at the bow I've had to wet it and bend it round a bit to avoid hooding of the planks and keep the bands equidistant. Not quite right at midships as the bottom band is wider around the bilge and keel. My gut feeling is I may have to spile some of these planks to get them to lay flat even at only one mil. thick. Looks like another order from the lumber mill! I'm just going outside - I may be some time...Stay safe everyone.🌈👍

IMG_20200715_123446.jpg

IMG_20200715_123427.jpg

IMG_20200715_123510.jpg

IMG_20200715_123524.jpg

I've had to revisit the planking tutorials as I got into a pickle with the garboards I fitted. Although the ends were further back from the stem than the first planking apparently not far enough.

Not wishing to rip them off and run the risk of damaging the rabbet and veneer again I've got for a workaround. I pared back the plank in a curve shape and fitted another alongside. This plank was edge bent slightly as shown in tutorials. A bit of fettling with sandpaper  and it lays nicely. Think I've gained quite a bit which will give me more room to fit the remaining planks without having to narrow them excessively at the stem. Think I've managed to gain the equivalent room of a drop plank roughly. 😃 Caution will be needed as this same plank coincidentally will need a stern steeler fitted also. Hope photos show what I've done. Got to duplicate same on the other side. Sailing close to the wind as usual... IMG_20200717_205219.thumb.jpg.cdb0673b64daf4459ce325320a743e47.jpg

IMG_20200717_164339.jpg

IMG_20200717_164524.jpg

IMG_20200717_164746.jpg

IMG_20200717_194430.jpg

Started the lining out and tick strip marking. Lots of head scratching for a while but bit the bullet finally! I'm trying where possible to introduce the least stress in the planks, certainly above the bilge as they will be on show more. Sense I might have to spile a few down to the keel though, we'll see! Looking forward to glueing and then some varnish to protect the work. I'll probably go quiet for a while now as plenty to do tapering and probably some cussing!

Stay safe everyone.👍🌈

IMG_20200719_170803.jpg

IMG_20200719_182450.jpg

IMG_20200719_182609.jpg

IMG_20200719_182534.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Just a small update to show progress so far. The second planking is going fairly well but taking longer than I imagined. The good news is that it looks better than the first! Quite a bit of the strip wood has an element of cross grain so I've had to be extremely careful with working it. Sometimes it's 'feathered' up a bit and I've had to select another piece. No doubt it will be used elsewhere less demanding..I am holding down at regular intervals to make sure it lies flat. The Aliphatic glue is good and sticks well but does dry a little quickly. I got into trouble trying to glue the whole plank in one go because by the time I'd clamped half way the rest was thickening up and tacky already. Now I glue half way, clamp and do the rest separately which seems to work well. The planks are going on in one length  so with all the bending take a while to do but I think it's worth it. I don't intend to paint the hull but varnish it so I can see the wood. Still haven't worked out what mordant stuff is! In terms of time it's taking about a day to fit a plank port and stbd . Cutting, edge bending, curving at stern, fitting, wetting, clamping and waiting to dry before gluing. Seems I'm unable to post photos so will try another time. Stay safe.😀🌈

IMG_20200801_131852.jpg

IMG_20200801_131908.jpg

IMG_20200801_131942.jpg

• 3 months later...

Hello again. Well after a few months of domestic chores and gardening etc. I've restarted work on the model. Planking continues albeit slowly but they are going on in one length. Had to think carefully about filling the stern area but happily not as many Steelers necessary as I'd imagined. It's been quite a learning process. I'm scraping the planks with a safety blade at the edge joints which seems to give a satisfactory finish. I will post next when closed up. Next job will be the sternpost to lock in the end of the  planks.😃

IMG_20201117_131332.jpg

IMG_20201117_131409.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Hello again! Well, I'm working on the last two planks below the wale now to close up the bottom hull. I imagine the rest will be far easier above this level. Despite my concern about having to fit an excess of stealers at the stern I only fitted three in all so pleased about that. If I were to do it again I think I would divide the hull into more bands still to get a better idea of how the planks might fall. I've done quite a bit of edge bending especially at the bow which for the most part I got away with. The Walnut, especially at narrow widths didn't always take kindly to being bent this way. Not sure if I would fit the planks in one length in future but it excercised my patience! After bending I found it helpful to clamp the plank damp and leave it to dry thoroughly into an unstressed form. As I'm not pinning the planks I made sure they were edge glued well.

I'm going to Matt varnish this section to help seal it and offer some protection for when it's the right way up again! That's probably all for this somewhat unusual year so I wish everyone a Happy Christmas and safe 2021. Thank you all for the helpful contributions.🌈🌲

IMG_20201213_173505.jpg

IMG_20201213_173301.jpg

IMG_20201213_173142.jpg

Great job on the planking Chris. I bet you’ll be glad to see the other side of this task!

• 3 weeks later...

Hello again! I made a tapered template to shape the stern post and gently cut away at the stern planking using the same. This gave me a good impression of how things would mate up when the post was fitted. I had to thin just a couple of planks to make it look like they'd actually fitted into a rabbet..I drilled and pinned the post for extra security. 

I've fitted a 2mm false keel too to bring the model up out of the blocks a bit as the stern planks were pinching a bit.

Apart from that I'm just beginning to plank between the gun ports before working further up the hull. I'm pleased that it's the right way up again, secure and off the bubble wrap! Some pics to follow.

Happy New Year! 😁

IMG_20201218_160753.jpg

IMG_20201218_160824.jpg

IMG_20201219_122807.jpg

IMG_20201219_173713.jpg

IMG_20201220_122808.jpg

IMG_20201220_122845.jpg

IMG_20201220_142645.jpg

IMG_20201220_142711.jpg

She’s looking fantastic! I’ve got this kit in my stash, so I’d like to follow the rest of your build. 👍🏼

Completed:

Billing’s Boats Cutty Sark

Artesania Latina Swift

Aeropicolla HMS Prince

Panart Royal Yacht Caroline 

Current build

Caldercraft HM Brig Supply

Next:

Corel HMS Victory