Incomprehensible details

igorcap

Interesting.... as HSM asks, are there any other views of this detail?  The first and only thing that came to mind is that these might be a type of "bumper" to protect the boards from damage by the outrigged boats that hang off the davits? 

~john

What sort of supports do the channels have to keep them horizontal and resist the racking force?

NRG member 45 years

Current:  

HMS Centurion 1732 - 60-gun 4th rate - Navall Timber framing

HMS Beagle 1831 refiit  10-gun brig with a small mizzen - Navall (ish) Timber framing

The U.S. Ex. Ex. 1838-1842
Flying Fish 1838  pilot schooner -  framed - ready for stern timbers
Porpose II  1836  brigantine/brig - framed - ready for hawse and stern timbers
Vincennes  1825  Sloop-of-War  -  timbers assembled, need shaping
Peacock  1828  Sloop-of -War  -  timbers ready for assembly
Sea Gull  1838  pilot schooner -  timbers ready for assembly
Relief  1835  ship - timbers ready for assembly

Other

Portsmouth  1843  Sloop-of-War  -  timbers ready for assembly
Le Commerce de Marseilles  1788   118 cannons - framed

La Renommee 1744 Frigate - framed - ready for hawse and stern timbers

There are many questions, but no answers :)

It is a historical drawing. Unfortunately no other plans.

I have long as there is are two variants:

1. At this point were fixed preventer or topmast shrouds.

2 .At this point were fixed removable boat boom

Edited by igorcap

Igor

------------

FWIW, I can identify the buildings behind this ship:  The location is the Neva River in St. Petersburg, the building to the left of the ship is the Academy of Sciences and to the right, is the Kunstkammer, Museum of Anthropology and Ethnolography of Peoples of the World, located on Vasilievsky Island.  The only detail that does not match are the rain gutters which are easily moved.    

For a hundred years, Vasilievsky Island was the site of St. Petersburg port.  At the beginning of the 19th century, the port was moved further downstream. 

post-206-0-54195700-1456528521_thumb.jpg

post-206-0-18068300-1456528534_thumb.jpg

post-1037-0-70795100-1456473946_thumb.jp

Current Build

- Glad Tidings -MS  

Completed Builds

- Dragon - Corel - One design International Class Yacht

- Sloup Coquillier / Shell Fish Sloop - Corel - Based on 'Bergere de Domremy / Shepherdess from Domremy

- Muscongus Bay Lobster Smack - Scratch build based on drawings from Chapelle's book "American Small Sailing Craft" 

On the Shelf

- Gretel-Mamoli     - Emma C. Berry-MS    - Chesapeake Bay Pilot Boat, Semi-scratch 

Find yourself hoping you never reach your destination

Yes, this is the royal yacht Nix 1862 in St. Petersburg. Fragment of drawing above is  royal yacht "Queen Victoria" was built in England in 1855 and presented to to the russian tsar

Queen Victoria about a half times more than Nix.

A few years ago I was doing the reconstruction of the yacht. You can see it here.

https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.777760035618659.1073741828.100001540102730&type=1&l=375f537773

Now there was more information and I want to make a more accurate reconstruction.

post-1037-0-23112000-1456596011_thumb.jpg

Igor

------------

very nice work Igor,

it`s a beautiful (pleasure) schooner yacht

Nils

Current builds

-Lightship Elbe 1

Completed

- Steamship Ergenstrasse ex Laker Corsicana 1918- scale 1:87 scratchbuild

"Zeesboot"  heritage wooden fishing small craft around 1870, POB  clinker scratch build scale 1:24

Pilot Schooner # 5 ELBE  ex Wanderbird, scale 1:50 scratchbuild

Mississippi Sterwheelsteamer built as christmapresent for grandson modified kit build

Chebec "Eagle of Algier" 1753--scale 1:48-POB-(scratchbuild) 

"SS Kaiser Wilhelm der Grosse" four stacker passenger liner of 1897, blue ribbond awarded, 1:144 (scratchbuild)
"HMS Pegasus" , 16 gun sloop, Swan-Class 1776-1777 scale 1:64 from Amati plan 

-"Pamir" 4-mast barque, P-liner, 1:96  (scratchbuild)

-"Gorch Fock 2" German Navy cadet training 3-mast barque, 1:95 (scratchbuild) 

"Heinrich Kayser" heritage Merchant Steamship, 1:96 (scratchbuild)  original was my grandfathers ship

-"Bohuslän" , heritage ,live Swedish museum passenger steamer (Billings kit), 1:50 

"Lorbas", river tug, steam driven for RC, fictive design (scratchbuild), scale appr. 1:32

under restoration / restoration finished 

"Hjejlen" steam paddlewheeler, 1861, Billings Boats rare old kit, scale 1:50

• 4 weeks later...

Forward one is for the Sea Painter, the rear one is an aft steadying line to hold the boat in when riding on the Sea Painter or alongside while the ship was anchored or drifting. When boarding the bow hook pole could hook into the center one to hold the boat for boarding with the rear one also hooked with a pole while passengers left or boarded the boat via the chain plate. Now I will sit back and wait for the proper identification and use.

jud

iIgorcap; I don't believe they are intended for boat boom use, boat booms need a hinge and two lines, one forward and one aft holding the boom outboard so 3 points is the norm. I was referring to the poles used by the boat crew as grab hooks, so quick, from the boat, control of the boat alongside ship, wharf or dock, the books I have read mention hooking up to the chains as a common grab point. Before getting into the Gun Gang on the Ammen DD 527, one of my assignments was being the bow hook on the Captains Gig, duties were to 'handle the pole, mooring lines then stood at parade rest on the bow of that Motor Whale Boat', while the engineer responded to the bells, the Cockswan used bells to communicate with the engineer who operated the throttle and transmission, they were about 4 feet apart, the bell was used anyway. First got antiquated with boat booms from that Gig, also gained about 5 pounds. Those unknown appendages probably weren't used as catch points. Really don't believe they were intended for bow hook use, I suspect they are used for boat handling in some way.

Edited by jud

Boat Boom Thumbnail; Took another look to see how the sailor was shown climbing the hanging ladder,'rope ladder', it was shown correctly. Climb them from the side or your feet end up about chin level and become useless for climbing.

Edited by jud