HMS Thorn by Kevin Kenny - 1:48 scale - Swan-class - David Antscherl practium

Vandolay sold special 3/4" cutters for their treenail makers after I inquired about them. I still have them but quite honestly think the Byrnes treenail maker is the easiest and fastest way to make them. I start with bamboo skewers sold ib grocery stores.

Greg

website
Admiralty Models

moderator Echo Cross-section build
Admiralty Models Cross-section Build

Finished build
Pegasus, 1776, cross-section

Current build
Speedwell, 1752

I use bamboo skewers from the grocery store.

If using bamboo shoots I was told to use the middle pith not the bark.

Alan O'Neill
"only dead fish go with the flow"   :dancetl6:

Ongoing Build (31 Dec 2013) - HMS BELLEROPHON (1786), POF scratch build, scale 1:64, 74 gun 3rd rate Man of War, Arrogant Class

Member of the Model Shipwrights of Niagara, Niagara Region, Ontario, Canada (2016), and the Nautical Research Guild (since 2014)

Associate member of the Nautical Research and Model Ship Society (2021)

Offshore member of The Society of Model Shipwrights (2021)

Are you just using the sharpened point then sharpening again for each treenail? If so, it seems more work than producing the required diameter over the whole length, with use of drawplate or "drill" method.

current build- Swan ,scratch

on shelf,Rattlesnake, Alert semi scratch,Le Coureur,, Fubbs scratch

completed: nostrum mare,victory(Corel), san felipe, sovereign of the seas, sicilian  cargo boat ,royal yacht caroline, armed pinnace, charles morgan whaler, galilee boat, wappen von hamburg, la reale (Dusek), amerigo vespucci, oneida (semi scratch) diane, great harry-elizabethan galleon (semi scratch), agammemnon, hanna (scratch).19th cent. shipyard diorama (Constructo), picket boat, victory bow section

Stuglo, i assume you are asking about the needles used to make the tree nails. The sharpened point was cut off and the blunt end sharpened evenly. This was used to drill the wood and i was able to fill the blank with 65 holes each having a treenail in it. This took about 2 minutes.  Its still early days as these needles cut 2” treenails. I need to get smaller needles before i sign off on this method. In the mean time i am using treenails made on the jim Byrnes draw plate. 

56 minutes ago, Kevin Kenny said:

Stuglo, i assume you are asking about the needles used to make the tree nails. The sharpened point was cut off and the blunt end sharpened evenly. This was used to drill the wood and i was able to fill the blank with 65 holes each having a treenail in it. This took about 2 minutes.  Its still early days as these needles cut 2” treenails. I need to get smaller needles before i sign off on this method. In the mean time i am using treenails made on the jim Byrnes draw plate. 

Hi Kevin - I'm also trying this needle method and I'm getting great results thanks to the thread on here originally started by vaddoc.

I have found that by taking his advice and using body piercing needles instead of hypodermic needle's the results are much better.  Just google body piercing needles and you will see what I mean.  Here's and example - Also I have found that just putting a 30 degree angle or there abouts on the end of the needles works great.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/252808332323?hash=item3adc8d0423:g:gfgAAOSwxEpYxC5Y&amdata=enc%3AAQAHAAAA8E%2BnzGprgTxciozHiEvBmvsFdXyWpfpBmyGeotGRlNuJL6v0ubwGUBsM%2B86sfQUiUGWDaSqhoMIFOErXTy86WmaGG%2BLBXBPfVNStypmSOx87Es3o%2BU2q5X0f9jl96uW9SC0AWN%2FYSlGTjcld34grvzItmoirt2gN60BKo%2FmDIAGZAKLqDLH7LgqBa2CM%2F7XXjCe%2BpOjBGVVSYfQRoym5X1d9mRoPY8vx%2Bm1pJn4AuNpNKqC%2B42hROWHrlxUTY%2BbK3VjJ9IhlGBuEMIxxBc31VapuRIjfopXurPuQWeQYA9wxg7A4TGyOZFRLWO3KC0%2Bz0g%3D%3D|tkp%3ABFBM9vSkytdg

I hate using pseudonym, any way. “no idea” have you figured out the various needle sizes that would produce the correct size treenails.

in 1/4” scale i am looking for 1”, 1.5” and 1.75”, in imperial measurement that would be .021, .03 & .036 and in metric it would be .56, .78 & .94. 

once i can confirm these numbers and find a good supplier i would post this data in the video description with the appropriate link.  Also, have you figured out the best speed for the drill press. Its quite clear to me that if the speed get above 1000 RPM the needle get to jot. I started lubricating  with silicon and it works great. I even sprayed the wood and all the burning stopped. 
kevin

Edited by Kevin Kenny
Wanted to add some more content.

4 hours ago, No Idea said:

Hi Kevin - I'm also trying this needle method and I'm getting great results thanks to the thread on here originally started by vaddoc.

I have found that by taking his advice and using body piercing needles instead of hypodermic needle's the results are much better.  Just google body piercing needles and you will see what I mean.  Here's and example - Also I have found that just putting a 30 degree angle or there abouts on the end of the needles works great.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/252808332323?hash=item3adc8d0423:g:gfgAAOSwxEpYxC5Y&amdata=enc%3AAQAHAAAA8E%2BnzGprgTxciozHiEvBmvsFdXyWpfpBmyGeotGRlNuJL6v0ubwGUBsM%2B86sfQUiUGWDaSqhoMIFOErXTy86WmaGG%2BLBXBPfVNStypmSOx87Es3o%2BU2q5X0f9jl96uW9SC0AWN%2FYSlGTjcld34grvzItmoirt2gN60BKo%2FmDIAGZAKLqDLH7LgqBa2CM%2F7XXjCe%2BpOjBGVVSYfQRoym5X1d9mRoPY8vx%2Bm1pJn4AuNpNKqC%2B42hROWHrlxUTY%2BbK3VjJ9IhlGBuEMIxxBc31VapuRIjfopXurPuQWeQYA9wxg7A4TGyOZFRLWO3KC0%2Bz0g%3D%3D|tkp%3ABFBM9vSkytdg

Hi No Ideal. Just wonder where you  can find the right size needle's  of 1.5, 1.75. or .021,.03  and .036 or .56mm, 78mm .94 mm. I have looked for those sizes but can not find them. If you know where they are I would be happy in buying some. Thank you in advance. Gary

The larger the needle gage the smaller the diameter. If you are trying to create a 1" scale treenail try using a 21 gage needle. The inner diameter is 0.5 mm. For a 3/4" treenail try a 22 gage needle. The medical or veterinary grade ones do dull quickly and I suspect it will take many needles to make the thousand(s) of treenails you need. You may wish to purchase stainless steel tubing such as https://www.grainger.com/category/pipe-hose-tube-fittings/tube-products/tubing-products/stainless-steel-tubing?attrs=Wall+Thickness|22+ga&filters=attrs and make them yourself.

With the Byrnes drawplate I can make hundreds of bamboo treenails in ten minutes down to 0.018". With boxwood I can comfortably draw down to 0.020" without too much loss. Depends on the grain structure of juniper if you can draw it that fine.

Edited by dvm27

Greg

website
Admiralty Models

Finished build

Current build
Speedwell, 1752

11 hours ago, Kevin Kenny said:

I hate using pseudonym, any way. “no idea” have you figured out the various needle sizes that would produce the correct size treenails.

in 1/4” scale i am looking for 1”, 1.5” and 1.75”, in imperial measurement that would be .021, .03 & .036 and in metric it would be .56, .78 & .94. 

once i can confirm these numbers and find a good supplier i would post this data in the video description with the appropriate link.  Also, have you figured out the best speed for the drill press. Its quite clear to me that if the speed get above 1000 RPM the needle get to jot. I started lubricating  with silicon and it works great. I even sprayed the wood and all the burning stopped. 
kevin

Hi Kevin - I don't know if this is what you and Gary are looking for but here is a link that gives you the OD and ID of needles.  I guess that this is a good starting point.  It's only a guide as in practice I have found that using a 16g needle gives me 0.9mm tree nails?

https://www.hamiltoncompany.com/laboratory-products/needles-knowledge/needle-gauge-chart

I also run my mill at about 1000 rpm and have found this to be the optimal speed.  If you get burning try dropping the wood into water for 5 mins before cutting the tree nails as this has also worked for me too.

Cheers Mark

As we say up here.... now you're cooking with natural gas.  Quarter them, draw them and stuff them!

😉

Alan O'Neill

Ongoing Build (31 Dec 2013) - HMS BELLEROPHON (1786), POF scratch build, scale 1:64, 74 gun 3rd rate Man of War, Arrogant Class

Member of the Model Shipwrights of Niagara, Niagara Region, Ontario, Canada (2016), and the Nautical Research Guild (since 2014)

Refer to the PDF.  There is a short part with photos on how easy it is to do.... after I was shown how.

You wouldn't believe the dumb ways I tried.

Alan O'Neill

Post #649

Alan O'Neill

have you tried using bamboo tooth picks? they fit into draw plate and can be drawn or pushed while rotating in a drill

current build- Swan ,scratch

on shelf,Rattlesnake, Alert semi scratch,Le Coureur,, Fubbs scratch

completed: nostrum mare,victory(Corel), san felipe, sovereign of the seas, sicilian  cargo boat ,royal yacht caroline, armed pinnace, charles morgan whaler, galilee boat, wappen von hamburg, la reale (Dusek), amerigo vespucci, oneida (semi scratch) diane, great harry-elizabethan galleon (semi scratch), agammemnon, hanna (scratch).19th cent. shipyard diorama (Constructo), picket boat, victory bow section

Yikes!

How are your eyes holding up?

👀 

Alan O'Neill

May I suggest you apply 1-2 layers of Tamiya tape to the keel, stem and sternpost before fairing in the treenails. An errant swipe of the sandpaper can create scratches that are difficult to remove later.

Greg

website
Admiralty Models

Finished build

Current build
Speedwell, 1752