HMS Warrior 1860 by Philg88 - Billing Boats - 1:100 - First British Ironclad with scratch built side heads per prototype

10 hours ago, BANYAN said:

Just found this build Phil, sorry to crash the scene so late - hope you don't mind me tagging along. :)

I am building HMCSS Victoria (1855) which had some common equipment etc to Warrior - see my log at: 

I will be very interested to see how you approach a couple of items such as the catheads which have a much sharper than usual angle of rise.  

You  have made a great job  on what you have completed on a very interesting build (and large)

cheers

Pat

Welcome along Pat, or should that be aboard :)

Hope you find some useful stuff for your build as things progress.

Cheers,

Philip

great progress...........she looks really good ! :) 

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller
Phylly C & Denny-Zen - the Lobsie twins - bashed & semi scratch dual build

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Billing's Gothenborg 1:100 / Billing's Boulogne Etaples 1:20
Billing's Half Moon 1:40 - some scratch required
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400
Trawler Syborn - semi scratch / Holiday Harbor dual build - semi scratch

Thanks Phillip, kitbag stowed and hammock lashed in the forward berthing space :)

cheers

Pat

If at first you do not suceed, try, and then try again!
Current build: HMCSS Victoria (Scratch)

Next build: HMAS Vampire (3D printed resin, scratch 1:350)

Built:          Battle Station (Scratch) and HM Bark Endeavour 1768 (kit 1:64)

painted or coppered.......the filler is no problem.   she's a big beautiful girl ;)   planking looks great!

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400

Nice progress Phillip, even at 1:100 she is a might big model (with plenty of planks).  

cheers

Pat

• 4 weeks later...

Hi All,

Internal gunwales and deck channels added ...

s20170502_101113.thumb.jpg.67edf574ea10a00df36751fc9ee92cb7.jpgs20170502_101101.thumb.jpg.5c6fb38235e6720ad4116965c96b37d1.jpg

Propeller and rudder completed. I modified the hinge of the latter using 5mm brass tube fashioned into faux hinges with the horizontal supports cut from .5mm plasticard and run over with a pounce wheel to simulate rivets. The porthole surrounds are 4mm eyelets painted gunmetal and glued in.

s20170503_102528.thumb.jpg.545767326533cd34e8ce4d1137ccb62e.jpgs20170503_102544.thumb.jpg.34bd025bef00e1679598c451a1a39afd.jpg

And a couple of general views showing the paintwork.

s20170503_102601.thumb.jpg.4edd49266df93ac163149d429f254824.jpgs20170503_102614.thumb.jpg.059043a4aaa14cfdc0c0c31a3ae564cf.jpg

she look awesome.........truly great progress! :)    decking and paint looks great!

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

Nice progress Phil; she is looking great.  Well, your next build will have to be Mary Rose then you would replicate the Portsmouth museum ships :) 

cheers

Pat

That will be another very nice build Phil; look forward to it :)

cheers

Pat

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Philip

Looking really good!

BUT...............

I would make a slight change on the propeller, a prop with that shape will give no speed, but only swirl water. If there is a way to make the change, I would. Sorry for beeing late with that!

Regards

Gerhard

Problems just mean: solutions not yet found

Models in progress

SMS DANZIG

http://modelshipworld.com/index.php/topic/12842-sms-danzig-1851-by-gerhardvienna-radio-150-scale/

USS CAIRO

http://modelshipworld.com/index.php/topic/13282-uss-cairo-by-gerhardvienna-live-steam-radio/

Baby Bootlegger 1/10

http://modelshipworld.com/index.php/topic/13625-baby-bootlegger-110-radio-by-gerhardvienna/

Swiss paddlesteamer RIGI 1848 1:50, after plans from the Verkehrshaus Zürich, rescaled to original length

Anchor tugboat BISON, 1:50, plans from VTH, scratch

Finished models

See-Ewer ELBE, Constructo kit 1:48

German fastboat after plans from german Reichskriegsmarine measure unknown (too ugly to show up!)

German traffic boat for battleships WW2, 1:50, after plans from Jürgen Eichardt, scratch

German Schnellboot TIGER P6141 VTH plans, scratch

1 hour ago, Gerhardvienna said:

Hi Philip

Looking really good!

BUT...............

I would make a slight change on the propeller, a prop with that shape will give no speed, but only swirl water. If there is a way to make the change, I would. Sorry for beeing late with that!

Regards

Gerhard

Thanks Gerhard,

I see what you mean. I think the blades should be mounted at 45% to the shaft. I will try and fix but it may not be doable without damage in which case it will have to stay as it is.

Best,

Philip

Hi Philip

Dont PLEASE do any damage to this beauty! If it`s not able to make the change, keep it as it is, better than a smashed ship!

Regards

Gerhard

Models in progress

SMS DANZIG

http://modelshipworld.com/index.php/topic/12842-sms-danzig-1851-by-gerhardvienna-radio-150-scale/

USS CAIRO

http://modelshipworld.com/index.php/topic/13282-uss-cairo-by-gerhardvienna-live-steam-radio/

Baby Bootlegger 1/10

http://modelshipworld.com/index.php/topic/13625-baby-bootlegger-110-radio-by-gerhardvienna/

Swiss paddlesteamer RIGI 1848 1:50, after plans from the Verkehrshaus Zürich, rescaled to original length

Finished models

German fastboat after plans from german Reichskriegsmarine measure unknown (too ugly to show up!)

German traffic boat for battleships WW2, 1:50, after plans from Jürgen Eichardt, scratch

Hi Phillip and Gerhard,  I would leave them Phil - I am pretty sure she was fitted with a feathering propeller and the pitch would have been close to zero when not needed (such as in port or when under sail alone) - depends on how you would like to depict her.  I had the same problem to contemplate when fitting the prop to 'Victoria" and ended up going for zero pitch as she will no be modelled with sails or underway.  This is just a suggestion - your model,  so please depict her how you wish.

Nice work with the progress you have made, she is really starting to take shape.

cheers

Pat

5 minutes ago, BANYAN said:

Hi Phillip and Gerhard,  I would leave them Phil - I am pretty sure she was fitted with a feathering propeller and the pitch would have been close to zero when not needed (such as in port or when under sail alone) - depends on how you would like to depict her.

cheers

Pat

Hi Pat

This would declare why they made it that way. When there was a pitch control, so the "Zero" position will be allright for sailing! Well seen and explained, thank you!

Regards

Gerhard

Models in progress

SMS DANZIG

USS CAIRO

Baby Bootlegger 1/10

Finished models

OK, Having checked the reference books I have, there was definitely a pitch on the propeller. So I've modified the blades, thankfully with no damage. As a side note, the propeller pitch wasn't adjustable - when the ship was under sail it would be hauled up into the well in the stern. As the model is in steam mode (because the funnels are up) the representation of the propeller is now correct.

Thanks for the input guys!

Best,

Philip

s20170516_101311.thumb.jpg.af51b18b6073fad943bd76e5c8d66b1b.jpg

Hi Philip

Well Done! Now the prop looks much better, good job.

Regards

Gerhard

Models in progress

SMS DANZIG

USS CAIRO

Baby Bootlegger 1/10

Finished models

wonderful progress Philip,  she's look'in really nice! :)    good you were able to change the prop......looks good'n proper ;) 

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

Nice recovery Phil.  That is a surprise a ship of this era without feathering props :), great that you have good references to check this detail.

cheers

Pat

is there to be any type of fastenings done to those brackets?   I'm imagining the dead eyes are attached to them. ;) 

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock: