BLUENOSE By Jerry - Model Shipways - Scale 1:64

thanks for the update........good to hear that your getting better  ;)  I look forward in seeing your shipyard in full swing again!

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller
Phylly C & Denny-Zen - the Lobsie twins - bashed & semi scratch dual build

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Billing's Gothenborg 1:100 / Billing's Boulogne Etaples 1:20
Billing's Half Moon 1:40 - some scratch required
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400
Trawler Syborn - semi scratch / Holiday Harbor dual build - semi scratch

• 2 weeks later...

Hello Popeye and the rest of my friends at MSW.....

Once again I would like to thank everyone who expressed concern about my eye problem and to those who wished me good luck.  While I'm still not capable to work on my Bluenose I am able to see well enough to write this note and to post the pictures that I had accumulated before having my surgery; they represent my October work.   The recovery process continues well and the doctor estimates that my vision will be good enough to model build in about two more months.  I'm going to try and prove her wrong but we shall see.  (no pun intended.)

Here the pictures I have that were not posted yet.

I wish everyone a very happy weekend.

Best,

Jerry

post-545-0-41144400-1477752332_thumb.jpg

post-545-0-16398600-1477752351_thumb.jpg

post-545-0-92853900-1477752366_thumb.jpg

post-545-0-26038800-1477752403_thumb.jpg

post-545-0-80434700-1477752415_thumb.jpg

post-545-0-45419700-1477752428_thumb.jpg

post-545-0-94461700-1477752442_thumb.jpg

Edited by Jerry

Hello Lawrence.

Real good to hear from you.  many thanks for your very nice words but your words are always nice and always appreciated.  I remember telling you and bernadette to get ready for the white etuff and bingo!  Here comes winter!

I can't tell you how anxious I am to get going on the ship model again but the work is still a little too minute for my eyes.  I try every day to see if i can get anything done but so far no good.  I'll keep trying and one of these days i'll be happily surprised and I'll be able to get going again.  Have a happy weekend and give my best regards to the admiral.

Best,

Jerry

Hello Jerry

Hope you're back in the shipyard before too much longer with 20 20 vision.

After my long absence I have returned to the shipyard very recently, restarting work on HMS Pegasus and I've also started  a new build with the Model Space HMS Victory on a monthly subscription. My Caldercraft Victory build is still on hold and I thinking about ditching it all together and restarting when the Chris Watton HMS Victory design is released, hopefully next year.

Glenn (UK)

Hello Glenn..

So nice to hear from you again.  It sure has been a long time since we hooked up and I'm really tickled to hear from you.  I have been wondering what the heck has been going on with you.  It seems that you and Dave (Shipyard Sid) disappeared from the earth.  I know that Dave had been going through some tough times and I really hoped to hear from him but truthfully, after several attempts to make contact, I gave up.  But here you are and back in the model ship business again.  Please tell me about all these projects you have undertaken. Another couple of HMS Victory models???  Do you have a site where I can see what you are doing?  Hope to hear from you soon.  In the meantime I have been testing my eyesight to see if I can get back to building but at this time i'm lucky that i can at least type.  It's still a bit tough to see the small pieces, even through the magnifier.

Let's hear from you soon.

Best,

Jerry

Hello Dave B,,,

Thanks for your good advice.  I am making progress but I agree with you that I need to still take it easy and that's what I'm doing.  I hope to be able to do something any time now.  My sight is still a little blurry and it's too soon to think about corrective lenses according to the doctor; Talk to you soon, I hope.

Best,

Jerry

Hello Everyone.

I gave it a good try today and I'm happy to say, I believe I'm back in business.  I attached some dead-eyes to the starboard foremast shrouds today and although it was very slow going it felt so good to be able to get something done.  I had to make the spacing jig and even though it it very tiny the magnifying lamp came through and I was able to get it done.  Here are some pictures that will bring my progress to date but most importantly show me that I can get some things done even very slowly.

Best,

Jerry

post-545-0-31207100-1477949154_thumb.jpg

post-545-0-39708600-1477949165_thumb.jpg

Edited by Jerry

......ohhhhh......what the heck was that?!?!?  the earth moved!?!?!?  nawwwww,  it was just Jerry!  :)   so good to see your getting back!   take it easy though.....do just that......come back slow  ;)   welcome back!  :)

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400

Hello to Grant, David B and Popeye...

Many thanks for your good wishes.  I believe I am back for good!!!

I saw the doctor today and almost fell out of the chair because the vision in my right eye (the last one operated on)  was 20/20 plus but she quickly put a damper on it and told me not to get too excited because the vision will fluctuate for three months and probably end up myopic.  She did tell me that there some exceptions and I quickly let her know I was one of them....(I hope...)

I finished the shroud dead eyes for the foremast today and will try and do the lanyards tomorrow.  Have a great evening everyone and many thanks again for your kindness.

Best.

Jerry

Jerry, I've had this kit in my closet for about 5 years but was a little reluctant to start.  Thanks for taking the time to photograph and describe your build- it's time to get it out and begin.  Best wishes for a speedy recovery!

Dan

Dan, a warm :sign: ,

This Bluenose is probably the most popular model of them all to build.

Please, visit our Facebook page!

Respectfully

Per aka Dr. Per@Therapy for Shipaholics 
593661798_Keepitreal-small.jpg.f8a2526a43b30479d4c1ffcf8b37175a.jpg

Finished: T37, BB Marie Jeanne - located on a shelf in Sweden, 18th Century Longboat, Winchelsea Capstan

Current: America by Constructo, Solö Ruff, USS Syren by MS, Bluenose by MS

Viking funeral: Harley almost a Harvey

Nautical Research Guild Member - 'Taint a hobby if you gotta hurry

Jerry

I'm not sure how I missed the first few months of your log, but I am in to see what turns up next.  Your work is looking very good, and I will enjoy following along.  My own Bluenose is languishing at the moment due to focus on a different hobby, but I will get back into the shipyard someday.

I enjoyed looking through your log and discovering another Bluenose in the works.

Bob

Current build -- MS Bluenose

Future build - MS Flying Fish

"A ship is safe in harbor, but that's not what ships are for." - William G. T. Shedd

Good morning everyone..

First I'd like to say hello to Dan...Thanks you for visiting my log and for your good wishes.  I hope you have much success with your Bluenose and enjoy the build as much as I am.  I look forward to watching your progress...

Dr. Per...So nice to hear from you again,  The Bluenose is popular indeed...and also a decent challenge.  At least that's what I'm experiencing.  Please call again..

Rick,,,I appreciate your visit and your very nice words.  Thank you so much for taking the time to write to my log.  I hope you have much success with your build and i'm very happy that my log may help you.  It's a pleasure to know that my efforts may pay off.

Bob... It's nice to meet new people so many thanks for stopping by and for your  nice comments.  Please come back again and watch me prod along toward the finish line.

As for progress, I have finished the foremast shroud dead eye attachments.  The next dead eye to be rigged is the 2.5mm one to be attached to the top mast shroud.  The fact of the matter is I can hardly see the darn thing, let alone rig it.  I hope my magnifiers will come through.  Here are a couple of pictures to illustrate what I'm ranting about.

Berst,

Jerry

post-545-0-29357000-1478092448_thumb.jpg

post-545-0-73753600-1478092462_thumb.jpg

Edited by Jerry

Hello again..

Just a short note to say that I was able to work with the tiny dead eyes and managed to complete the rigging of the foremast shrouds with their lanyards.  Have a great evening everyone and..

Best,

Jerry

post-545-0-60278300-1478118677_thumb.jpg

post-545-0-75886100-1478118749_thumb.jpg

Edited by Jerry

Jerry, nice rigging going on there.

Have a great evening!

Please, visit our Facebook page!

Respectfully

Per aka Dr. Per@Therapy for Shipaholics 
593661798_Keepitreal-small.jpg.f8a2526a43b30479d4c1ffcf8b37175a.jpg

Finished: T37, BB Marie Jeanne - located on a shelf in Sweden, 18th Century Longboat, Winchelsea Capstan

Current: America by Constructo, Solö Ruff, USS Syren by MS, Bluenose by MS

Viking funeral: Harley almost a Harvey

Nautical Research Guild Member - 'Taint a hobby if you gotta hurry

Good morning, Dr. Per..

Thank you very much.  All seems to be going well now and the model is moving along.  More stays to do today and then comes the main mast.

Take care,

Best.

Jerry

P.S.  Some additional pictures to bring the photos up to date...

post-545-0-64240900-1478182714_thumb.jpg

post-545-0-64653700-1478182725_thumb.jpg

Edited by Jerry

Hello Lawrence..

Yep, it feels great to be back in the shipyard and working away on the Bluenose.  My eyes seem to be able to stand the strain of the mini works although I lose focus from time to time.  The doctor told me that would happen for about three months and then the focal point will settle in so that i can get  a prescription for glasses.  But I really am having fun.  I was able to drive to the doctor's office on Tuesday and that was another marker because for several weeks I felt like a prisoner in home arrest.  Best regards to the admiral and hope to visit with you one of thee days on Skype.  

Best,

Jerry

post-545-0-38640100-1478199694_thumb.jpg

post-545-0-85092300-1478199706_thumb.jpg

Edited by Jerry

Hello Lawrence..

Many thanks for your visit and nice comments.  I will certainly take your advice as it is the same as the ORDERS I have received from the admiral.  She said that the last thing she needs is a husband who has to be helped gluing dead eyes and blocks in place.

So it's time for a northern trip again.  Charlene joins me in wishing you both a very enjoyable holiday and hope you both come back well rested and happy.

Yes, I am moving along with the build; I guess I'm trying to make up for lost time.  I'm working on the main mast now getting the shrouds and stay hung.  This is the first time i have ever rigged these lines on the bench.  It seems to work well except that there are lines hanging all over the place.

So have a great time and stay healthy and well.

Best,

Jerry  (and Charlene)

Edited by Jerry

Jerry

hello I am new to your clan of followers.  I am building a larger version of Bluenose that could possibly sail. making things strong enough to sail and look good is hard and there is lots of struggling on my part.  I love looking around and seeing how you and others attacked various issues.  Your seizing that you did a few posts ago looked great and it really comes through as you are now getting her together.   

good luck

regards 

jon

good to see you've settled back to the table in fine order  ;)   the rigging so far looks super!   :)

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

Hello Jon,

Thank you very much for visiting my log.  I'm very curious as to what your project of the Bluenose is all about.  You say you are building a larger version that will possibly sail.  Is it a scratch build or have you found a kit that is of larger scale.  For several years I have raced R/C sailboats, the Soling and Seawind among them.  It was fun while it lasted but eventually i turned to the present hobby of building model ships.  So, Jon, please visit again and let me know what you are up to in more detail.

Have a great weekend,

Best,

Jerry

Hello Popeye...

Your kind comments are very much appreciated.  My eyes do get tired after awhile since i have to do everything behind a magnifier so I usually work a few hours and then call it a day.  I have made some additional progress and am just about ready to step the main mast and begin the running rigging.  Here are some pictures which show where i'm at.

I hope you have a wonderful weekend.

Best,

Jerry

post-545-0-16447400-1478369844_thumb.jpg

post-545-0-20299100-1478369859_thumb.jpg

post-545-0-23980600-1478369873_thumb.jpg

post-545-0-44310400-1478369906_thumb.jpg

post-545-0-07157600-1478369937_thumb.jpg

post-545-0-44401400-1478369954_thumb.jpg

post-545-0-78941600-1478369968_thumb.jpg

Edited by Jerry

looks great!  :)    yea.......it's good you don't overdo it.   ship building hasn't got a time limit  ;)    I have an optivisor,  but I hardly use it.  I only wear glasses when I'm on the computer,  or working on the boats,  and reading fine print.  I buy those glasses you find at the drug store.......I have a pair of 1.25..which I use a lot.   then I have a pair of 1.75 and 2.00 for the small stuff.   

I read that you and Charlene are taking another trip......enjoy and use it for additional recovery time!  ;)

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

Hello Popeye..

Hope you are well.  My visit to the Ophthalmologist yesterday was a good one indeed.  She told me that everything is healing well and reduced the number of times for my eye drops and doesn't wan to see me for three weeks.  She also told me that at this time I can get a pair of the same type of glasses as you have.  I own a pair of  2.75 (used in the past) and that is very helpful for reading and computer work.  I don't need anything for distant vision and this surprised the doctor.  She told me that I'm one of about 5% who have had this type of operation that didn't become near sighted.  I really am lucky.

I began the rat lines today and found it easy to see with the magnifier and the reading glasses.

Here are some pictures I took since the last posting:

Best,

Jerry

post-545-0-75026700-1478724015_thumb.jpg

post-545-0-04900100-1478724037_thumb.jpg

post-545-0-39916900-1478724065_thumb.jpg

post-545-0-65712600-1478724087_thumb.jpg

post-545-0-78962100-1478724166_thumb.jpg

post-545-0-02735900-1478724196_thumb.jpg

post-545-0-50820700-1478724207_thumb.jpg

Edited by Jerry

That's great news indeed Jerry. Bluenose is looking splendid - but from the sound of it, you don't need us to tell you that any longer! ;)

Thanks for stopping by, Grant.  I sincerely appreciate your visit and comments.  Since I posted yesterday i found another picture that was taken showing the completion of the port foremast ratlines.  Hope you have a nice day.

Best,

Jerry

post-545-0-31949800-1478790249_thumb.jpg

Edited by Jerry