Rattlesnake 1781 by Don Quixote - Mamoli - Scale 1:64 - 20 gun Privateer

I've invited my 15 year old granddaughter to follow along. Let's see if she does and how much she participates.

I was building the Niagara and got to the rigging and was intimidated so I thought I'd build this one to get some simpler rigging experience. Here's my Niagara. http://modelshipworld.com/index.php/topic/6701-niagara-1813-by-justblowininthewind-model-shipways-164-first-build/

So far I'm impressed with the laser cuts, the written instructions are a challenge to say the least. The plans themselves are not bad at all.

I made the box for holding the wood for the Niagara. The blue tape on the left is left over from the Niagara. The duct tape is for this ship. I made that from display shelf scraps from Home Depot.

I'm only showing the 1st 2 sets of plans as they're what's relevant now.

post-10291-0-06487800-1481153648_thumb.jpg

post-10291-0-71002700-1481153657_thumb.jpg

post-10291-0-47924100-1481153675_thumb.jpg

post-10291-0-59543500-1481153685_thumb.jpg

post-10291-0-15034500-1481153699_thumb.jpg

Norwegian Sailing Pram 1:12 Scale. 2nd boat in the learning series.

In Dry Dock:

Muscongus Bay Lobster Smack. 1:24 scale. Model Shipways, 3rd in the learning series.

Not sure what'll be next, probably the Santa Maria by Artesania Latina 1:65 scale. Unless someone has a better suggestion for a beginner.

Pride of Baltimore. Model Shipways. Clipper used in the war of 1812.

Black Falcon. Mantua Model. 18 century corsair brig.

CSS. Alabama. E. Manolie? Can't read the font. Build in Liverpool in 1862 for use in the American Civil War by the Confederates. Steam and sail, sloop of war.

Of all the things I've lost, I miss my mind the most.

A baseball cap my Dad wore.

First hurdle. I put some scrap wood under the decking that doesn't lay right and glued it to the side of the bulwark so clamps can hold it down.

Again, I'm very impressed with the laser cuts. Look at how well the deck lays.

post-10291-0-68294900-1481154039_thumb.jpg

post-10291-0-71547700-1481154048_thumb.jpg

post-10291-0-86844300-1481154056_thumb.jpg

post-10291-0-75305400-1481154064_thumb.jpg

In Dry Dock:

Muscongus Bay Lobster Smack. 1:24 scale. Model Shipways, 3rd in the learning series.

Not sure what'll be next, probably the Santa Maria by Artesania Latina 1:65 scale. Unless someone has a better suggestion for a beginner.

CSS. Alabama. E. Manolie? Can't read the font. Build in Liverpool in 1862 for use in the American Civil War by the Confederates. Steam and sail, sloop of war.

This is what I used to keep things square. Modified Model-Expo's. I thought I would use the wing nuts to lock things in place, but it rides so smoothly and stays in place very well.

Don't really need the back piece.

post-10291-0-53828200-1481154596_thumb.jpg

In Dry Dock:

I'm open to suggestions on how to get that deck to lay flatter. My idea is not working.

I think I should have soaked the deck in water and laid it out on a flat surface with weights. Teach me to be observant, huh?

It looks like the deck issue will be mostly hidden, but a close look will show the warping where the upper decks don't hide it.

Edited by JustBlowinInTheWind

In Dry Dock:

Always look forward to your visits Cog.

In Dry Dock:

I think I'll pull up a chair, also.  The final planking for the deck will cover a lot of sins, depending on thickness.  If the supplied planking for the deck is too thin, you can swap it out for thicker and sand the deck smooth once planked.  I'm too lazy to run upstairs and look in my Mamoli kit box for the deck planking!

Brian.

Is the false deck warped? Or is it the deck area on the bulkheads is out?   

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

Definitely warped, but you have to be at the right angle to see it. There's only one spot I;m really worried about. I'm heading into the hobby store this afternoon to see what I can use to make blocks in between the bulk heads. Coulda, shoulda, woulda in the 1st place.

I thought about it but didn't want to make the hour round trip to the hobby shop. Shame on me!

I'm prepared to shim if needed.

In Dry Dock:

Good point Carl. Little sugar and I'd have frosted shredded mini sheets.

I was just thinking about doing that to the upper decks.

In Dry Dock:

Brian - I have this one on the shelf. Going from 2 masts to 3?  Easier?

I wasn't clear on your deck issue. Is the false deck still glued down or did you tear it out? If it's just a dip in one place you could smooth out some filler over it?

I had an issue with my Enterprise build - the bulkheads had a slope from the center outwards as would be expected. The false deck had none so it didn't sit flush. I ended up gluing the deck down - with CA - bulkhead by bulkhead and holding in place until the CA set. My point is you can use the CA almost like nails. Eventually any 2 pieces will stick together. Then reinforce with PVA along the joints.

Sail on...... Mike         "Dropped a part? Your shoe will always find it before your eyes do"

Current Builds:                                                          Completed Builds:

Lancia Armata 1803 - Panart                                   US Brig Niagara - Model ShipwaysSection Deck Between Gun Bays - Panart  ; Arrow American Gunboat - Amati    

Riva Aquarama - Amati                                           T24 RC Tugboat  ;  Hispaniola - Megow - Restoration ; Trajta - by Mikiek - Marisstella ; Enterprise 1799 - Constructo                             

I bought some 1.5"X.25"X24" strips of bass wood and insterted them as seen. They go almost all the way back to the keel.

Now, before I layed the false deck I used strips of wood kinda like battens and faring and it all looked good. I think the issue was that the deck was a little warped AND the bulk heads were off. Faring would not have picked up on that. I don't think:)

The rest of the board that the deck came from is a little warbly as well. I have that under weights.

This support seems to have helped a lot and make me feel better about mounting things to the deck later.

At this point, my concern is that a couple places are still too much of a bow from the keel to the outer deck. I'm prepared to use filler before planking but I thing I need only be concerned with a couple locations. Those being the locations of a couple cannons. Some would point down instead of a straight line.

Logical thing to me is to locate the cannons and see which ones need filler to raise them.

I'm having a hard time seeing where the cannon should go though.

A little sanding, a little Carpel Tunnel and I have a long way to go yet.

post-10291-0-83784700-1481335171_thumb.jpg

post-10291-0-46924000-1481335179_thumb.jpg

In Dry Dock:

GreatGallions recommended this ship as being a good one to cut my teeth on rigging on. Niagara has a LOT more rigging from what I can see. Perhaps because it's a larger scale? Definitely appreciating the quality of the instructions and plans of a Model Expo ship.

In Dry Dock:

Know how many times I looked at that and never saw the ports?

I got lucky with this one. There's still a bit of a slope from center out one a couple places but not as bad as it was. Maybe 1.5 mm TOPS.

Now, Regarding the cannons on the plans. I want to know where each cannon goes so I can determine on the ship itself if any location of the deck needs adjusting for cannon.

Looking at the right side of the ship plans it looks like the bulwark planking is going to cover half the cannon port. Also the cannon to the left looks like the bulwark was notched out for the wheel.

The plans don't show where the rest of the bulk heads are either.

post-10291-0-70647700-1481412733_thumb.jpg

post-10291-0-69187700-1481412742_thumb.jpg

post-10291-0-10371100-1481412755_thumb.jpg

post-10291-0-60899700-1481413934_thumb.jpg

In Dry Dock:

Here's another thought. Cannons will be behind bulwarks right?  Not completely in plain view? What if you shimmed any cannons that you think point too low?

Sail on...... Mike         "Dropped a part? Your shoe will always find it before your eyes do"

Current Builds:                                                          Completed Builds:

Lancia Armata 1803 - Panart                                   US Brig Niagara - Model ShipwaysSection Deck Between Gun Bays - Panart  ; Arrow American Gunboat - Amati    

Riva Aquarama - Amati                                           T24 RC Tugboat  ;  Hispaniola - Megow - Restoration ; Trajta - by Mikiek - Marisstella ; Enterprise 1799 - Constructo                             

I'm prepared to do just that. However, my support seems to have dont the trick. I measured out where each canon goes and I see no where that any warping would cause a problem. At this point I don't see any warping but if I come across it I'll lay one some wood filler.

In Dry Dock:

Also Mike, in my measuring and marking out where the cannons go, I see that the plans are smoking something good. There are no frames blocking the ports. The measurements on the plans don't add up. Though I'm worried about all the detail around cannon 1 between frame 1 and 2.

In Dry Dock:

What's that? I figured out I have some CA glue.

In Dry Dock:

Whataya think, white? White washed?

In Dry Dock:

This brings back memories. I hope you and your granddaughter get a lot out of this build. I have thought about building this ship again. All the best with your deck warp issue. Great work so far.

Regards, Scott

Current build: 1:75 Friesland, Mamoli

Completed builds:

1:64 Rattlesnake, Mamoli  -  1:64 HMS Bounty, Mamoli  -  1:54 Adventure, Amati  -  1:80 King of the Mississippi, AL

1:64 Blue Shadow, Mamoli  -  1:64 Leida Dutch pleasure boat, Corel  -  1:60 HMS President Mantra, Sergal

Awaiting construction:

1:89 Hermione La Fayette AL  -  1:48 Perserverance, Modelers shipyard

Grand daughter doesn't seem interested. It can't be done from a text, it ain't getting done.

In Dry Dock:

Added the hide glue to my xmas wish list on Amazon. Should have it here by the 25th.

Question. Is the pre-fabed stuff going to be a lot different than mixing it myself? Wife already wonders what I do out here all day, she'll think I'm cooking meth or something.

I've destroyed the deck, so I am thinking of painting it. The lower part only. Probably a buff color.

I'm thinking I don't really have to run the planking all the way out to the edges either. It all gets hidden and covered so as long as the wheels of the cannons all set on decking that is level all the canons should face the same height.

In Dry Dock:

My sixteen-year old grand daughter comes here after school every night of the week and patiently listens to a new facet about shipbuilding. So I was delighted when we went to visit an old clipper recently and she started talking about the garboard strake. The tour guide's eyes almost popped right out !

May I make a suggestion ? I notice the empty space between Frame 1 and the plywood keel at the bow. This is an area where planks (sorry, strakes) undergo a fair amount of twisting/ curving. It will make life a little easier if this was filled in with some filler blocks. Any timber will do but in doing so, it allows you to get a better appreciation of the profile and it allows the planking to be done a little easier. Now, I know there is a gun in the upper part of this area but a little bit of carving out an area for this would do the trick.

Anyway, just a thought.

Pete

As a matter of fact, I have a mini disk/belt sander on order for Xmas. Love the way you can share lists with friends on Amazon. Prime to boot? Prime is going to take on a brand new meaning, you mark my words, right here and now.

Google is a noun and a verb. Is Prime?

I have a couple blocks of bass wood just for that and the stern. Last time I used balsa wood and it was not bad but once or twice I wished that I could put a needle or a nail in it, but balsa is of course too soft.

In Dry Dock:

Do you mean between the lower and upper deck, or just below the lower deck?

In Dry Dock: