TITANIC by torro - Mantua - scale 1:200

I am currently buidling the TITANIC, Mantua scale 1:200. This model will be completed with PE-parts, such as windows, railings, ladders and more little stuff. Much information comes from the Titanic Research and Modelling Association,the book " RMS Titanic, a modelmaker's manual" by Peter Davies-Garner and CAD-drawings by Robert Hahn.

Here some pictures of what has been done so far :

fixing the frames and start with planking the hull :

RjoJ9j.jpg

Dg4Aes.jpg

HpX4o5.jpg

funnels with the rivet-pattern :

pyaxOg.jpg

lifeboats with PE-davits

Hm21L0.jpg

oHUI9r.jpg

Eric

some more pictures

cranes : the first one is with the cranemast as it comes  with the kit, second pic with PE-mast; don't know yet wich one to choose

PV8Yom.jpg

yQGeVa.jpg

funnel n° 3, with the piping, not accuratly but i can live with that

mfhj9C.jpg

the inside of the hull will be lighted with a LED-strip, brightness can be adjusted trough a remote control

de4xvS.jpg

GUvn3t.jpg

deckplanking

Dye9KA.jpg

Ku6lMl.jpg

Eric

• 2 weeks later...

Looks li a great start. I'm helping my 9 year old son build the classic Revell model of her. He's enjoying it and so am I. I built a couple of them when I was a kid and it brings back memories. Looking forward to seeing her progress. Odd we don't see more models of her on this site, she's such a famous ship.

Update 12/01/2017

Planking of the hull is finally finished; especially the stern caused me a lot of problems.

Work to do in order to get this right.A3xX0M.jpg

Started with the first round of sanding the hull

Before :

1opD1V.jpg

After :

tBu66M.jpg

Next stage will be filling, sanding, filling, sanding, filling, sanding .............and then primer.

Learned a lesson : next build of such a length (1.300mm) i will use larger strips for planking the hull; i did it this time with the strips provided by the kit, only 2mm large; over such a length these strips twist and bend too much :cheers:

Eric

• 2 weeks later...

Eric,

Nice start. It will be interesting following along. 

FYI Really wonderful 12 part series that ran a couple of years ago on American Television. It is about the actual construction from drawings to - of course - it sailing off at the end of the series.

https://www.amazon.com/Titanic-Blood-Steel-Jocobi/dp/B009AVCAE4

PS: You may need to purchase an EU formatted disc if you are interested..

Cheers

Watched the new program about Titanic regarding the charcoal fire that had been burning in two starboard holders for three weeks. This while she still was in the yard, creating a weakness in one of the bulkheads and hull where temperature reached something between 500 and 1000°C!

The fire continued during her maiden voyage, using more coal than necessary.

This along with natural phenomena created confusion on the bridge and collision with the iceberg was inevitable.

Edited by Nirvana

I wondered how the Mantua kit would looj like being build. I have the Billing kit to do. It is a larger scale model and has tons of photo-etch parts. Will watch as you build this one.

The kit looks good, although the building instructions could be better. I will use PE-parts by Tom's Modelworks and Minibrass.

I wondered how the Mantua kit would looj like being build. I have the Billing kit to do. It is a larger scale model and has tons of photo-etch parts. Will watch as you build this one.

I regret now not having choosen de Billing kit, 1:200 is so small :(.

busy now with the deckchairs and benches in PE-parts, OMG, will post some pictures later on

Eric

Eric,

I would like to apologize for the error,

I found the website, so for anyone else to be building Titanic the link is as follow

http://www.minibrass.com/index.php

No problem, since I use both Minibrass and Tom's Modelworks. Tom's Modelworks are only 0,15mm thick while the Minibrass' parts have a thickness of 0,45mm. So you can imagine the difference while bending the parts. I am already affraid starting with the railings from TMM.

Eric

• 2 weeks later...