What Would It Take To Build This Interior?

Before I dive into this, I thought I'd get some feedback, just in case this might lead to buying tools I can't afford.

Thoughts are to build the interior as pictured below and allow for the raised deck roof to be removed for easier showing.  The total area represents about 4.25" x 5.5".  There would be a Nav Station, Galley, cushioned seating, two (maybe three) sets of stairs and all the rest.  I've drawn it up to scale (not the one you see below), with dimensions, and will probably create a 3D drawing to make sure it looks proper. 

spirit-130-interior_zoom_01.jpg

What skills would be needed?  What tools would be needed for the wood and fabric and cushions?  What about all the windows?  They would have to be flush on the decks.

The majority of tools I have are for life-size projects.  I have a Dremel 4000 with the drill press base, flex extension and most of the adapters.  For milling wood to dimension I'd have to make up a router table for a Bosch Colt and/or build some setup for a Jet spindle sander.  No Byrnes table saw.  No milling machines.  I do have a variable speed wood lathe but it's a 36".  Probably too large?

Thanks in advance for any advice and warnings. 

Julie

First and only build: Endeavour - 1934 American's Cup, UK Challenger, J-Class - Amati 1:35

The cushions can be made from epoxy or sculpy - painted and until touched you would swear they are leather or fabric - depending on the painting.

Kurt

Kurt Van Dahm

Director

NAUTICAL RESEARCH GUILD

www.thenrg.org

SAY NO TO PIRACY. SUPPORT ORIGINAL IDEAS AND MANUFACTURERS

CLUBS

Nautical Research & Model Ship Society of Chicago

Midwest Model Shipwrights

North Shore Deadeyes

The Society of Model Shipwrights

Butch O'Hare - IPMS

The Interior is one thing but I think on this yacht there are only 2 sky lights through which to view and they are round and oval shaped with lots of triangular fasets your hard work my well be hidden from all to see That been said some of the Bone ships built by the French prisoners of war have full interiors only visible with modern fiber optic scopes 

Good luck with your project 

Andy

Current Build

HM Granado CC

Past builds

HMS Chatham CC, HM Convulsion CC,  Duke William German Kit, Fair American LSS, The Wright Flyer MS

The picture of the interior is at least twice as wide as it is high, which doesn't seem to fit with the dimensions provided...."The total area represents about 4.25" x 5.5"? 

Is this a real Spirit interior? Could give you the methods and estimates if it was full size interior but shrunken down to this size, have no experience with that.

http://spirityachts.com/spirit-yachts/gallery/interior-gallery/

Spirit-74.jpg.e8c692c17b2fc585d715372024263cf1.jpg

I'm not sure if any expensive tools are needed.

Here's a wonderful example of a detailed interior from Doris's Royal Caroline build https://modelshipworld.com/index.php?/topic/854-royal-caroline-by-doris-card-1749-140/&do=findComment&comment=325142. (The whole build log is a treat).

Richard

Richard

Current Build: Early 19th Century US Revenue Cutter (Artesania Latina "Dallas" - messed about)

Completed Build: Yakatabune - Japanese - Woody Joe mini

Member: Nautical Research Guild & Midwest Model Shipwrights

18 hours ago, Dilbert55 said:

The picture of the interior is at least twice as wide as it is high, which doesn't seem to fit with the dimensions provided...."The total area represents about 4.25" x 5.5"? 

Is this a real Spirit interior? Could give you the methods and estimates if it was full size interior but shrunken down to this size, have no experience with that.

I was measuring the roof of the raised cabin when I gave those dimensions.  My bad.  Here's a 1/35 scale of the Spirit 130 interior, based loosely on their drawings:

Spirit130-Int_01.png

The first level belowdecks is 6 steps down then there's another 6 steps to the lower level.  That's where you'd see the oval skylight that's in the first picture.  So, yes, it is quite a bit larger than I originally stated.  The Spirit drawings have the lower level layout but I haven't drawn that up in CAD... yet.  My confidence is recreating the first level cabin will depend on if I do the lower level, too.  I could make a career of this build! :rolleyes: 

Julie

First and only build: Endeavour - 1934 American's Cup, UK Challenger, J-Class - Amati 1:35

1 hour ago, RichardG said:

Here's a wonderful example of a detailed interior from Doris's Royal Caroline build https://modelshipworld.com/index.php?/topic/854-royal-caroline-by-doris-card-1749-140/&do=findComment&comment=325142. (The whole build log is a treat).

Richard

WOW!  Maybe I should hire Doris!

Julie

Julie,

Have a look at Omega12 (Patrick) builds:  

He does fully detailed interiors in miniature.

There's lots of other models by others in the scratch area with detailed interiors. 

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

• 4 weeks later...