HMS Diana By Barbossa - Caldercraft - Scale 1:64 - The 1794 Attempt

Hi,

thanks Ulises, Mark & Mort : I can assure you , it feels good to be back.

Regarding the life boats ; I started with the 32 ft pinnace using what was supplied in the kit and the result wasn't that bad at all. ( I'll post a pic this WE)

But I really felt the urge to move on with this project and I also was seduced by the extra fittings supplied in the mini Caldercraft kits ( oars,...) Besides, I want to use the woods and stuctures of those little boats (supplied with the original Diana kit )  for another project in the future that is related to my next kit ( HMS Pegasus).

Kind regards

Christian

"The original always beats the copy"

(supportive statement)

Thanks Timmo and the likes.

Referring to previous message here's some pics related to my lifeboat dilemma.

Last two pics show the second lifeboat (24 ft.)  I intend to start with a strip made of card/paper following the suitable curve and shape. The aim is to copy - paste the same strip in several sheets of styrene with a 0.25 mm thickness.

post-412-0-38852400-1442657881_thumb.jpg

post-412-0-35749100-1442657891_thumb.jpg

post-412-0-45100600-1442657901_thumb.jpg

post-412-0-22821000-1442657911_thumb.jpg

post-412-0-70477200-1442657920_thumb.jpg

post-412-0-93787200-1442657928_thumb.jpg

Kind regards

Christian

(supportive statement)

Christian - nice to see you back and making progress.  You have a truly beautiful model!  Its a shame that I missed your initial progress, but will definitely be following from here.  I'm still in the very early stages of my Diana/Jason build and moving slowly, so its nice to see another example to look to for inspiration.   Thanks for sharing.

Cheers,

Jason

"Which it will be ready when it is ready!"

In the shipyard:

HMS Jason (c.1794: Artois Class 38 gun frigate)

Queen Anne Royal Barge (c.1700)

Finished:

HMS Snake (c.1797: Cruizer Class, ship rigged sloop)

Hello Jason,

you are welcome !

After the MSW-crash somewhere in 2013 I archived some pics on "tumblr", I realise that  there are other , more user-friendly options nowadays

Anyway, You can access them by activating the link ( see my most 18th of May 2014)

Please check out the tumblr - homepage, in the left corner above there's a search option where you can insert "diana1794"

When you select the second option : diana1794tumblr.com, you should have access to the archive.

However : the order is not quite chronological

Please let me know if the pics are accessible, If not I'll try to upload them in the buildlog

Enjoy and good luck with you build : take your time, you're doing a fantastic job.

Kind regards

Christian

(supportive statement)

Hi Christian nice to see you back the boats look great, the evergreen styrene is what I used it is nice to work with and takes paint fairly well, look forward to more updates. I am very close to the end of my Diana journey.

Ray

Current build A set of HMS Diana`s boats @ 1/48

HMS Royal Marine a Military class Trawler

Completed  HMS Diana

Completed build The Lady Nelson

Completed Build HMS Pegasus

Hi Ray,

And what a fine and pleasant journey it was.

As mentioned in a previous reply in your log : whenever I start the mast & rigging part, I only have to follow your approach.

Indeed, as I'm working now on the 24 ft; lifeboat,  styrene is an valuable alternative :

- for cutting small pieces and details ( see the special arrangments according the AOTS for the 24 ft cutter : ringbolt, sternsheet, ringlock ) At first, with walnut I'll give it a try, but I'm sceptical.

- provided you have good paints at your disposal : I use the Acrylicos Vallejo brand. To be specific : the "Panzer aces" New Wood with reference 70.311 is -in my opinion- pretty "wood-like"

Kind regards

Christian

(supportive statement)

• 3 weeks later...

Hello,

here's n°2 : the 24ft cutter

It's a bit of a mixture between the AOTS-data, Caldercraft mini-kit instructions and my own interpretation.

I've read somewhere in the general instructions that the completion of the lifeboats was +/- a fortnight ( evening work ) operation...hmm, I don't know . Although I'm bypassing some work with resin , It takes me more or less a fortnight for one boat. 

But it's fun !

post-412-0-64486500-1444749323_thumb.jpg

post-412-0-75076400-1444749324_thumb.jpg

post-412-0-98229800-1444749325_thumb.jpg

post-412-0-90081300-1444749326_thumb.jpg

post-412-0-04400000-1444749343_thumb.jpg

post-412-0-86144700-1444749344_thumb.jpg

post-412-0-10445200-1444749346_thumb.jpg

post-412-0-98686100-1444749346_thumb.jpg

post-412-0-07433900-1444749348_thumb.jpg

post-412-0-95863800-1444749348_thumb.jpg

Kind regards

Christian

(supportive statement)

super looking boats Christian

Nils

Current builds

-Lightship Elbe 1

Completed

- Steamship Ergenstrasse ex Laker Corsicana 1918- scale 1:87 scratchbuild

"Zeesboot"  heritage wooden fishing small craft around 1870, POB  clinker scratch build scale 1:24

Pilot Schooner # 5 ELBE  ex Wanderbird, scale 1:50 scratchbuild

Mississippi Sterwheelsteamer built as christmapresent for grandson modified kit build

Chebec "Eagle of Algier" 1753--scale 1:48-POB-(scratchbuild) 

"SS Kaiser Wilhelm der Grosse" four stacker passenger liner of 1897, blue ribbond awarded, 1:144 (scratchbuild)
"HMS Pegasus" , 16 gun sloop, Swan-Class 1776-1777 scale 1:64 from Amati plan 

-"Pamir" 4-mast barque, P-liner, 1:96  (scratchbuild)

-"Gorch Fock 2" German Navy cadet training 3-mast barque, 1:95 (scratchbuild) 

"Heinrich Kayser" heritage Merchant Steamship, 1:96 (scratchbuild)  original was my grandfathers ship

-"Bohuslän" , heritage ,live Swedish museum passenger steamer (Billings kit), 1:50 

"Lorbas", river tug, steam driven for RC, fictive design (scratchbuild), scale appr. 1:32

under restoration / restoration finished 

"Hjejlen" steam paddlewheeler, 1861, Billings Boats rare old kit, scale 1:50

Hello Nils,

Thanks foor looking in and it's good to hear from you.

Besides, I have a question regarding the attachment underneath.

You can notice a lifeboat that is suspending somehow. 

I wonder how the rigging or hauling was done, as I feel more than tempted to imitate this scheme

post-412-0-18039000-1444752271_thumb.jpg

Kind regards

Christian

(supportive statement)

Hi Christian

The boats look good nice with the clinker effect I carval built mine, I also took a lot more than two weeks more like eight, keep them coming the Pinace was my favourite.

Ray

Current build A set of HMS Diana`s boats @ 1/48

HMS Royal Marine a Military class Trawler

Completed  HMS Diana

Completed build The Lady Nelson

Completed Build HMS Pegasus

Very nice boats Christian -I remember seeing a picture showing how the ships boats were hoisted in/outboard but of course can't remember where now  :(.  It would add a nice touch to do that.

Cheers,

Jason

"Which it will be ready when it is ready!"

In the shipyard:

HMS Jason (c.1794: Artois Class 38 gun frigate)

Queen Anne Royal Barge (c.1700)

Finished:

HMS Snake (c.1797: Cruizer Class, ship rigged sloop)

Hi All,

Ray & Jason and all the likes,  thanks for the comments and showing interest.

The clinker effect was obtained by using styrene strips ( 0,25 mm thickness ) 

Perhaps I might submit "a step by step"-approach with pics for at least one of the following life-boats ( the 26ft. launch or the 32 ft. pinnace ) 

But for the interested, already one word of advice : don't give in to temptation by wanting to glue or fix one strip of styrene over it's full length all at once (using superglue). It's a bad idea. Take your time and work in separate stages. Toothpicks are also very useful to fit superglue.

Kind regards

Christian

(supportive statement)

The clinker effect was obtained by using styrene strips ( 0,25 mm thickness ) 

Perhaps I might submit "a step by step"-approach with pics for at least one of the following life-boats ( the 26ft. launch or the 32 ft. pinnace ) 

That would be really nice. Good job here. I am thinking ahead about my Royal Louis boats, which are metallic, and I would like to see other possibilities.

Thank you, Christian

There aren't but two options: do it FAST, or do it RIGHT.

Current Project Build Log: Soleil Royal in 1/72. Kit by Artesania Latina.

Last finished projectsRoyal Ship Vasa 1628; French Vessel Royal Louis 1780. 1/90 Scale by Mamoli. 120 Cannons

Future projects already in my stash: Panart: San Felipe 1/75; OcCre: Santísima Trinidad 1/90;

Wish List: 1/64 Amati Victory, HMS Enterprise in 1/48 by CAF models.

So much to build, so little time!

You're welcome Ulises and of course all the likes too.

I haven't figured out yet which one to start ( 26 ft launch or 32 ft pinnace ) but I expect to resume my activities as from next week.

Thus, a step by step approach accompanied with pics to bring on some more detail is to follow.

Kind regards

Christian

(supportive statement)

• 1 month later...

Hi,

At last, I managed to complete the 32ft. pinnace.

As mentioned in a previous post, it's a bit more detailled.

Part One :

First pics show what tools are required and an overview of the mini Caldercraft-kit. And - of course - my alter ego encouraging my to move on with this project.

Now the clincker effect : at first I cut a strip from card and make the necessary corrections as to obtain a "one fits all" curve aspecially in the bow section.

Notice the position of the red dot as I progress from bottom to top.

The ribs were made out of black cartridge paper which was supplied in the mini kit.

Following step : the preparation of the false gratings : the same black paper was covered by painted thin paper strips using Acrilico Valejo paint ( Panzer Aces New Wood n° 311) . To cover up the glue traces, I overpainted the completed gratings with  dilluted black paint, and remove - asap- the dilluted paint from the surface with a rag.

Next : I made a "copy paste" operation to reproduct the paper/card strip and cut the requested profile out of 0,25 mm styrene strip.

Here's the most delicate part : glueing the styrene strips with superglue. Some concentration is required , meaning and translated to Belgian standards : consuming large quantities of Leffe or Duvel the evening before is not recommended.

post-412-0-24818900-1448203714_thumb.jpg

post-412-0-79296300-1448203715_thumb.jpg

post-412-0-47472200-1448203716_thumb.jpg

post-412-0-49697800-1448203717_thumb.jpg

post-412-0-49844300-1448203718_thumb.jpg

post-412-0-02726800-1448203720_thumb.jpg

post-412-0-46858700-1448203721_thumb.jpg

post-412-0-12625800-1448203722_thumb.jpg

Kind regards

Christian

(supportive statement)

Perhaps ypou niticed in the last pic that I adapted the profile from both sides. I took a bit of a gamble but it worked out fine .

Anyway here's the completed third lifeboat. 

post-412-0-36555800-1448204276_thumb.jpg

post-412-0-51809500-1448204277_thumb.jpg

post-412-0-61910500-1448204278_thumb.jpg

post-412-0-72259000-1448204279_thumb.jpg

post-412-0-84339700-1448204280_thumb.jpg

post-412-0-54949300-1448204281_thumb.jpg

Kind regards

Christian

(supportive statement)

Wow! Those boats look fantastic!!!. I am still not sure what I am going to do regarding those same items in my present build. :(

Last finished projectsRoyal Ship Vasa 1628; French Vessel Royal Louis 1780. 1/90 Scale by Mamoli. 120 Cannons

Future projects already in my stash: Panart: San Felipe 1/75; OcCre: Santísima Trinidad 1/90;

Thanks Ulises and WBlakeny, and all the likes

There's  more to come : along with the resin boats :  oars, anchors and other items are supplied in he Caldercraft mini-kits.

I'm working on it now and I've also improved the look of the oarlocks a bit.

So yet to do : the 26ft launch, on the other hand I must admit I 'd like to start with the masts & rigging and keep the 26ft launch as a "side-project", whenever I'm bored with ratlines,...

However,  regarding the masts, something is puzzling me : the large ones ( 10 mm diameter ) as well as the bowsprit are supposed to be painted in yellow and I'm a bit reluctant to this.

The more : classical European brands such as Corel, Mantua, Mamoli supply their kits with "yellow" looking natural wood which is more appealing to me  but I haven't found something suitable yet.

Kind regards

Christian

(supportive statement)

Nice upgrade to the boats Christian, love the toning of the model.

I don't like painted masts either which is why I put aside the Walnut supplied with Pegasus in favour of Ramin which has a fine grain and pale colour.

I used a tinted varnish to get a yellow tone to the masts but as I recall I spent ages trialling different combinations of water based satin varnishes, and added a spot of water based yellow ochre paint to get what I wanted.

Cheers,

B.E.

Hi B.E.

Thank you for the advise. At the same occasion you appointed me a task  B) . Some research is scheduled this W.E. regarding the Ramin wood with the most probable result : a purchase through Internet.

I guess many of us know the feeling : perhaps many kitbuilders would be happy to pay a bit more, if only the kit manufacturors went for better wood ( + ornament) quality

Kind regards

Christian

(supportive statement)

Christian... would it be too much to ask of you to put a link where to buy the Caldercraft mini kits?

Hi Ulises,

Here you are :

I purchased the kits through Cornwall Model Boats 

Please activate the " More  information" link : it explains what type of mini kit is suitable for what type of ship.

Enjoy :

http://www.cornwallmodelboats.co.uk/acatalog/caldercraft-ships-boats.html

Kind regards

Christian

(supportive statement)

Many Thanks, Christian. Found exactly what I need!  :cheers:

Now... making them as you did, that's a whole different story.  ;)

Edited by Ulises Victoria