Bluenose by DBorgens - FINISHED - Model Shipways - 1:64 - first build

Restarting my Bluenose log.

Since this is my first build, I am writing to share the many things I learn along the way and perhaps some of the solutions I have found. I started about four years ago and am getting closer to stepping the masts and starting rigging. I used Bob Hunt’s practicum, which was invaluable while getting started. This is how she looks today.

post-993-0-82675700-1365914604_thumb.jpg

I originally planned to display bluenose with sails furled. The photo shows two attempts at the sails. The fore sail was made form kit fabric cut down to ½ the full sail size. It is still too heavy and far out of scale. The main sail is sillkspan, which looks better to scale. This sail was a quick fit for comparison. The silkspan looked good but it helped me change my mind and build her under full sail. After all, massive sail area is one thing that makes these fishing schooners so lovely. So I got to hone my sewing skills making a second set of sails. This is all part of the fun, we get to use so many different skills.

post-993-0-71628700-1365914760_thumb.jpg

Some photos from the original log.

June 2009, completed planking. Photo shows frame bracing, not in the plan but I was afraid of damaging frames when fairing the hull. A little stiffness never hurts.

post-993-0-36125500-1365914798_thumb.jpg

December 2010, pintles and gudgeons. The plans show forming the gudgeon out of brass strip. I could not make it work well so I soldered some brass tubing instead. Much easier.

post-993-0-97319800-1365914825_thumb.jpg

January 2011, most of the deck furniture is installed.

post-993-0-84280700-1365914857_thumb.jpg

post-993-0-69223900-1365914890_thumb.jpg

December 2011, masts and spars made while learning how to solder.

post-993-0-43051100-1365914920_thumb.jpg

post-993-0-44194100-1365914937_thumb.jpg

Current build: HMS Pegasus, English Pinnace (on hold)

Completed build: MS BluenoseSkippercraft

Hi Bob,

Thank you. I got time to work today and accomplished a good bit of odds and ends on the deck. I discovered I set the jumbo jib stay bail too far aft. This pushed the jib boom into the foremast. In moving it I also got the chance to shape it properly, I had missed the square section on top.

I did start to rig the bowsprit and remembered your build and the difficulty with the bobstays. I followed your lead (again!) and simulated eye splices. Was able to keep them tight for seizing and locking with thinned tightbond. Went together pretty well (pics still in the camera).

Questions, did you make the footropes out of wire or just the stirrups? Do you know what gage wire you used? I seem to recall you stripped it out of speaker wire. I've ordered some bare 30 AWG (.010") copper wire for the jib shackles and think it will work here as well.

I haven't forgotten your request and have some sail pictures I will post in a bit. Close up shots expose all of the faults but I believe they will look better on the ship (at least that is what I keep telling myself).

Dave

Edited by DBorgens

Dave - glad to hear you caught the jumbo bail problem.   I'm still not sure i have mine far enough forward to miss the traveler block, but it'll all work out somehow.

On my build the footropes are wire and the stirrups are black sewing thread.  I did use an individual strand pulled out of some speaker wire for this.  I don't know what the gauge is, but it looks thinner than the thread,  I can't locate my source material at the moment, but I'll have a look around and see if I can get more detail for you.  I am not completely happy with the result.  Getting the wire shaped properly - and then maintaining that shape - was a bit touchy for me.

Bob

Current build -- MS Bluenose

Future build - MS Flying Fish

"A ship is safe in harbor, but that's not what ships are for." - William G. T. Shedd

Dave - I tracked down the wire and did the 'wrap around a dowel 10 times and measure" trick.  Diameter works out to .012" for the footroopes, looking at the plan calls for .010, so not too far off.

Bob

"A ship is safe in harbor, but that's not what ships are for." - William G. T. Shedd

Dave - If you don't post the pictures of your build from this past meeting I will. Mike did a great job showing some of your very clean details.

Current Builds - 18th Century Longboat, MS Syren

Completed Builds - MS Bluenose, Panart BatteStation Cross section, Endevour J Boat Half Hull, Windego Half Hull, R/C T37 Breezing Along, R/C Victoria 32, SolCat 18

On the shelf - Panart San Felipe, Euromodel Ajax, C.Mamoli America, 

Its a sailor's Life for me! :10_1_10:

Dave it was nice meeting you - your ship is just as beautiful in the photos as it is in real life.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

-Sarah

Current Build:

Krabbenkutter CUX-87

Harriet Lane

Fishcutter GO-38

In the Wings:

Corel Victory Cross section

Completed Build:

USS Missouri minimissouri.jpgHMS Bounty's Jolly Boat thumbnail.jpg Peterboro Canoe tiny.jpg

I Ask everyone to take notice of the shift lever on the winch housing. I think it is a very nice touch and hard to do well. Considering the fact that is simply a piece of wire with CA on one end and painted.

Completed Builds - MS Bluenose, Panart BatteStation Cross section, Endevour J Boat Half Hull, Windego Half Hull, R/C T37 Breezing Along, R/C Victoria 32, SolCat 18

Wow what a beautiful details, thanks for the nice pictures.

Regards,

John

<span style='font-family: courier new'>In progress: <a class='bbc_url' href='http://modelshipworld.com/index.php?/topic/177-king-of-the-mississippi-artesania-latina-scale-180/'>King of the Mississippi</a></span><br />

<br />

<span style='font-family: courier new'>Completed : <a class='bbc_url' href='http://modelshipworld.com/index.php?/topic/176-mare-nostrum-4331-artesania-latina-scale-135/'>Mare Nostrum 4331</a></span><br />

<span style='font-family: courier new'><a class='bbc_url' href='http://modelshipworld.com/index.php?/gallery/album/51-16th-century-galeass-imai-scale-1160/'>16th century Galeass</a></span><br />

<span style='font-family: courier new'><a class='bbc_url' href='http://members.upc.nl/carla.en.john/Modelbouw/Rocket.htm'>George Stephenson Rocket Locomotive</a></span><br />

<br />

<span style='font-family: courier new'>Next build : sl Louise</span>

HI Dave, thanks for stopping by my build, I've been following yours too. Very clean build, look forward to seeing it finished.

Dave

LMDave - Just in case you hadn't figured it out. This is the build log I keep getting confused with yours.

Beautiful work Dave! I'll be following your progress.

Jim L

What we ever hope to do with ease, we must learn first to do with diligence. - Samuel Johnson

On the Building Ways:                           Launched:                                                 Contracts Signed:                    Member:

The Nautical Research Guild

The US Naval Institute

John, Dave, Jim,

Thank you for checking in. I recently completed rigging the bowsprit, may have some pictures soon. No modeling since. Spent most of yesterday cleaning up and gardening at a friend's house. She is recently widowed and is fixing up the house to sell. Today we built some new garden boxes so we will have fresh vegetables this summer, yum. Building at full scale for a short break.

Dave

• 2 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Finally back, the back yard is officially finished. A few months ago I knocked a chock off the monkey rail and could not find it. While Model Shipways will replace parts, I thought I’d give a try to making a replacement. Starting from a 1/16 x 3/16 strip of basswood I drilled holes for the slot and fillets (lower part in first photo), hardened with thin CA, carved and sanded the chock to shape. My first attempt (upper in photo) chipped as I was forming the outline.

post-993-0-11018300-1376711299.jpg

The second turned out better.

post-993-0-46452300-1376711876_thumb.jpg

Now I can see why the scratch folks build everything. Even the l fiddly bits give satisfaction.

Dave B

In the old forum, I read a log showing a grating for the helm. So working form memory, I fashioned a grating from1/32 strip and a couple of wider slats. The photo below was taken after I started to cut the grate to final size, approximately 26 x 40 inches.

post-993-0-98148300-1376712016_thumb.jpg

And the finished product.

post-993-0-62121600-1376712017_thumb.jpg

Since then I have started rigging or "tying knots" as my son says.

Dave B

Edited by DBorgens

Dave - I like the look of your platform. I think it was my old log that had a description of that piece, using a method from Jim Lad. It was a bit different than this, I'll have to re-post. Nice job of scratching parts, by the way. Good to see you back at it!

Bob

Harvey, thank you. Will we see you next weekend at Floyd's?

Bob, thank you, credit where credit is due. I was working form feeble memory, but I am pleased how it turned out. Please do post yours.

Have you started rigging? I know summer is tough to make progress but I would like to see your progress (I'll probably learn more :D).

Dave B

Nice work Dave Bluenose is a great schooner.

Michael

Current builds  Bristol Pilot Cutter 1:8;      Skipjack 19 foot Launch 1:8;       Herreshoff Buzzards Bay 14 1:8

Other projects  Pilot Cutter 1:500 ;   Maria, 1:2  Now just a memory    

Future model Gill Smith Catboat Pauline 1:8

Finished projects  A Bassett Lowke steamship Albertic 1:100  

Anything you can imagine is possible, when you put your mind to it.

Dave - I looked back at my MSW2 restart of the log and noticed that the helmsmans grating is included there in a post dated February 19.  I've been mulling over the sails for the last little bit.  I think I will attach the main and fore sails and topsails before stepping the masts, so I am trying to figure out just what I am doing with them before proceeding.  The thought of connecting the mast hoops with the masts in place doesn't strike me as a good place to be.  Hope to be starting up again soon as the weather starts to turn.

Bob

Michael, thank you. I started with Bluenose because I liked her lines and Bob Hunt's practicum. The farther I get, the more I appreciate her.

Bob, my thoughts exactly. That led me to setting the main and fore sails before stepping the masts. So far, so good. Needed to temporarily rig the gaffs to keep the sails out of the way. That exposed a couple of poorly tied blocks which needed rework. By the time I'm done, there won't be much that was not done twice. I did leave the top sails off since they appear easy enough to set in situ. BTW, I posted a simple seizing of the sails to the hoops in the rigging forum.

Dave B

• 1 month later...

really nice, very good work.

John

Current Current Builds:

US Brig Niagara on my website

FINISHED BUILD LOGS:

New Bedford Whaleboat - page on my Morgan Website:  http://www.charleswmorganmodel.com/whaleboat-build-log-by-john-fleming.html

C.W. Morgan - Model Shipways 1:64 http://modelshipworld.com/index.php?/topic/1785-cw-morgan-by-texxn5-johnf-ms-164-kit/

USS Constitution - Revell 1:96 http://modelshipworld.com/index.php?/topic/1796-uss-constitution-by-texxn5-johnf-revell-196-kit/

website US Brig Niagara Model http://www.niagaramodel.com

website Charles W Morgan Model http://www.charleswmorganmodel.com

website PROXXON DISCOUNT TOOL STORE http://proxxontoolsdiscount.com

Tex,

Thank you for stopping by. I looked through your Morgan log. Beautiful! I also loved your pictures from Mystic Seaport. Another thing to add to the bucket list. Alas, on the wrong side of the country.

Dave B

• 2 weeks later...

Haven’t posted in quite some time, bad me. To catch up, I have stepped the masts and complete much of the standing rigging. I am currently tying ratlines and have competed the port side of the main mast. Some photos to catch up.

Main sail lacing.

post-993-0-58650600-1381634454_thumb.jpg

Main and fore masts and sails set in place. The gaffs are temporarily rigged.

post-993-0-15892100-1381634784_thumb.jpg

Used single wires to set constant deadeye heights while seizing the shrouds.  The single wires worked okay for height but allow the deadeye to rotate while tightening the shroud. Next time I’ll try something more stable and may make a single tool for all deadeyes.

post-993-0-82627500-1381634644_thumb.jpg

Lanyards complete.

post-993-0-78000900-1381634645_thumb.jpg

Bowsprit details.

post-993-0-89909000-1381634646_thumb.jpg

Ratlines in progress.

post-993-0-69795100-1381634647_thumb.jpg

Dave B