Barque Stefano by Heronguy - MarisStella - 1:63

The bulwark went on without much trouble.  The holding jigs  worked well enough.  If I were to repeat this I would have used a harderer wood for the jigs since the roasted poplar I had lying around split under minor pressure and had to be glued back together a couple of times.  When it came to clamping near the bow and stern (where the rails curve) I cut the jigs so that they were not as long and could follow the curve better.

IMG_5108.jpg.b9f4e5ab2229f9e1931c67e223b90c5c.jpg

Doug

Current BuildsBluenose II - AKrabbenkutter / Prince de Neufchatel / Essex Cross-section / Syren / Barque Stefano / Winchelsea / Half Hull / Maria HF31 - Dusek / Bandirma - Turkmodel

On the Shelf: Santisima Trinidad and Cross Section / HMS Cutter Alert / Tender AVOS / Confederacy

Suspended Build: Bluenose II - Billing Boats Nr 600 

I'm enjoying watching this build, as I believe that this is one of the truly top-shelf kits available in today's marketplace. It's a kit I would love to build if I had the money (strike one!), space (strike two!), and patience (strike three!). 🙂

Chris Coyle
Greer, South Carolina

When you have to shoot, shoot. Don't talk.
- Tuco

Current builds: Brigantine Phoenix, Salmson 2, Speeljacht

looking good so far Doug!  glad to see you back at the table!

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller
Phylly C & Denny-Zen - the Lobsie twins - bashed & semi scratch dual build

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Billing's Gothenborg 1:100 / Billing's Boulogne Etaples 1:20
Billing's Half Moon 1:40 - some scratch required
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400
Trawler Syborn - semi scratch / Holiday Harbor dual build - semi scratch

I agree with you Chris.  The kit design seems well thought out and the kit contents are really good.  I must admit I was attracted to the overall size of the Stefano  from a build perspective without giving thought to the size from a display perspective.  One might assume it will be on the bench so long that it won’t be my problem to arrange display.  As a relative newcomer to modelling I’m not sure I’ll give it its proper due but I’m enjoying the process.

Doug

Current BuildsBluenose II - AKrabbenkutter / Prince de Neufchatel / Essex Cross-section / Syren / Barque Stefano / Winchelsea / Half Hull / Maria HF31 - Dusek / Bandirma - Turkmodel

On the Shelf: Santisima Trinidad and Cross Section / HMS Cutter Alert / Tender AVOS / Confederacy

Thank you Popeye. Your continued interest in my projects is appreciated.  I still don’t get useful stretches of time to focus on builds but 15 minutes here and a half hour there do eventually add up.

Doug

• 1 month later...

I attached the pinrails and finished drilling holes in the deck for the masts.

IMG_5222.jpeg.5288796206890665681438c83f02f81e.jpeg

IMG_5267.jpeg.0e5e5d5814191fa06a0810a1dabefc6f.jpeg

IMG_5235.jpeg.864fa38aef5a7d026460e3884839bac5.jpeg

IMG_5234.jpeg.c5a223f36bce2b689f52e859d7d89d54.jpeg

Doug

Current task is to install the chainplates.  On this kit the chainplates are simulated by PE strips attached to the exterior hull but not all the way through the rails.  Eyebolts will be inserted on the rails to complete the appearance of chainplates.

Copying the position of the chainplates from the plans made it straightforward to position the PE strips.  

IMG_5272.jpeg.936917eac565cbadb60c2f33a94f25de.jpeg

IMG_5350.jpeg.8dd3b444162689ea0d3e283946baf274.jpeg

The foremast chainplates

IMG_5334.jpeg.052a5eed93a1cfba0ed4125519df1329.jpeg

Doug

The deadeyes are attached to the eyebolts with some wire and the unit then glued into holes drilled in the mainrail.

Then onward to coppering the hull! 

Doug

good to see your making progress on her........very nice looking ship :) 

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400

• 2 weeks later...

The lower deadeyes are installed.

Each was wired with a small eyebolt that attaches it to the main rail.

IMG_5361.jpeg.e5cc25b92e84637db815819e73a8f3e4.jpeg

IMG_5363.jpeg.ce437e9671ca286f40ee2382ffef278c.jpegIMG_5364.jpeg.c4e65ecc05f076191d72752d715a1dee.jpeg

Doug

• 1 month later...

The coppering is going to be a long term project.  I expect to get perhaps 10-20  plates per hour.  I am using CA glue despite my general dislike of the substance.  

IMG_5464.jpeg.77c4e3754aa77d6e1c7f1353f027daa2.jpeg

This is a pretty big hull.  Makes me glad the Winchelsea won't be coppered!!

Doug

what did you use to anchor the dead eyes?  she's still look'in sharp Doug!  :) 

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

13 hours ago, popeye the sailor said:

what did you use to anchor the dead eyes?

The kit instructions simply suggest attaching a small eye pin with the twisted wire holding the deadeye. The stem of the eye pin is inserted into a drilled hole in the rail and affixed with glue.  Once again I had to use CA to bond the wire to the wood. (The chainplates mounted on the hull are not connected to the deadeye - just simulating the practice on the actual ship) I’ve “tested” each one with a good tug to see if they may hold when under tension from shrouds and don’t expect too many challenges there!  A long time from now at the current rate!!! 

Doug

• 7 months later...

At long last I've finished the coppering of the hull.  It hasn't been a very intense effort until the last month but I'm happy to have completed it and am satisfied with the results!

DSC_0057.jpeg.ab516402ba0c082f1879ca5cf0765a87.jpegDSC_0062.jpeg.d0a5d0c79c2cf0ae04df3eb73affab3f.jpeg

Doug

Nice job with the copper Doug

• 4 months later...
  • 1 month later...
On 10/2/2020 at 2:37 PM, Heronguy said:

I've finished the coppering of the hull.

Hi Doug,

I've just been re-reading your log picking up on ideas and tips for the next few stages once I finish second planking of Stefano... Just one question, hope you don't mind... how did you go about cutting all the copper plates out? Did you use side-cutters? And did you have any troubles with the plates bending as you removed them from the sheet? I've coppered a hull before, but the plates were already separated, so this will be a new thing for me.

It's lovely to be reminded that the messy, dusty, time-consuming steps lead to such a beautiful looking vessel... I was getting slightly stuck in the doldrums trying to get the second planks to go round the stern transom... a tricky step for sure.

Hope you'll have a chance to get back to Stefano soon :)

Rob

2 hours ago, robdurant said:

how did you go about cutting all the copper plates out? Did you use side-cutters? And did you have any troubles with the plates bending as you removed them from the sheet? I've coppered a hull before, but the plates were already separated, so this will be a new thing for me.

Hi Rob,

I didn't use side cutters.  I used a scalpel or x-acto blade to free up the 1st row from the panel. Subsequent rows just need the end tags cut then bend the whole row back and forth a couple of time and its free.  I did bend a few individual plates.  They straighten out just fine as long and the bend is not too sharp.  When it came to trimming plates (near the end of the coppering process) I cut them with snips that I bought for the purpose.  I'd get a slight curl but it was easy to flatten.

Biggest challenge I had (other than tedium) was getting the plates to adhere to the hull.  Ended up using thin CA glue.

IMG_6429.thumb.jpeg.4c623009a24d58e1e3848c0128925108.jpeg

Weather is getting better here so  may get back to the shipyard soon.  

Doug