GrandpaPhil

Prince de Neufchatel by GrandpaPhil - FINISHED - 1/72 - from Chapelle Plans - Card

I have reached another milestone with this build.  I am done with the standing rigging.

Next up, I will be making some booms, gaffs and yards.

Then, I will make sails.

After that, I have to install everything and install the running rigging.

The last thing I do on any model is to make and install flags and pennants.

As a quick side note, I never expected this model to get past the hull covering phase, but I’m too stubborn to give up.  So, I’m pretty pleased with my progress.  I’ve never scratch built a model before so I’m very happy with it.  It’s not perfect, but it’s good enough for a first run.  I’ve learned a lot and have gained much valuable experience that will help me in future builds.

Without further ado, I present the American Privateer Prince de Neufchatel with the standing rigging complete: 

E2EA335F-EA06-4181-B992-C24EA0F7A3FE.jpeg

56B88EB4-426B-4677-88C1-C29805335371.jpeg

DBD65B26-91AB-4F86-989D-EEDC85999189.jpeg

6E07EB9A-67FC-4126-8142-4BC81B11BF66.jpeg

AF867541-E07F-44F3-AD5A-04E48EA8CB04.jpeg

84C4A070-772D-42DB-88E9-AC2F2C83E23A.jpeg

Posted (edited)

Hi Phil

Damn you work fast!!!!  Nice job on the rigging.

Not long too go now, that’s for sure.

Cheers. 

Patrick

Edited by Omega1234

On 5/19/2019 at 12:30 AM, Wallace said:

You should be proud of yourself Phil, thumbs up and a hearty pat on the back from me sir. 

Hi Phil

Wallace is absolutely right.  Nice job!

Cheers

Patrick

I’m in the process of installing blocks and foot ropes on my yards, booms and gaffs.

I had to make a couple more cleats.

I’m getting better at making small parts.  That’s another skill that I will carry forward.

I also inked (using thinned down paint) all of my rigging blocks and deadeyes so they don’t look too light.

I’m currently waiting on the paint to dry.

I’ll post pictures once I have something worth showing.

7 hours ago, GrandpaPhil said:

I also inked (using thinned down paint) all of my rigging blocks and deadeyes so they don’t look too light.

What a great idea Phil. I used to use that method when I painted fantasy models back in the day. Will be storing that one away for future use sir. 

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Wallace said:

What a great idea Phil. I used to use that method when I painted fantasy models back in the day. Will be storing that one away for future use sir. 

I always treat my models exactly like overgrown war gaming miniatures.  I use the exact same painting and detailing techniques.

I may or may not have learned to paint war gaming many years ago.

Edited by GrandpaPhil

I’m having a lot of fun with this build.

I’m working on finishing up preparing the ship and the yards to receive sails and the running rigging.

I have the foot ropes installed and am installing the last round of blocks.

I’m going to display the Prince de Neufchatel as running under full sail, which means that I have to make allowances for the studding sails as well.

This means that I will have to install another round of blocks around the hull.

I have all yards, booms and gaffs sitting on the deck in their approximate positions so I don’t get them confused.

8552EB58-B605-44C3-B5D4-75F1731B85DC.jpeg

0861E249-94EE-4DD6-8613-359490F0C012.jpeg

881A852E-17EE-426A-8691-8114233948C1.jpeg

8A93B01F-1AB7-452D-A095-2154C1705E4E.jpeg

1921F1D0-EB63-4494-89C8-80581A3104DE.jpeg

Having fun is what it's all about. In the process, you are achieving quite an accomplishment, particularly considering the fact you've built this model from scratch. Very nice indeed, Phil.

Posted (edited)

Thank you, appreciate it.

The blocks aren’t bad to make.  They’re just a little tedious.  I make a bunch at a time because I do all of the shaping before separating them from the strip of wood.

Inking just involves using really thinned down paint to lightly color the wood.  It’s the same technique used for painting war gaming miniatures.

Edited by GrandpaPhil

Hi Phil

I still shake my head in amazement at your high level of productivity.  My boats are a fraction of the size of yours, but you’ve done so much more than I could ever achieve in the same time.  

Nice job on the blocks, too.  Yes, they’re tedious to make, but the impact that they have on the overall effect of the model is well worth the effort!

Well done.

Cheers

Patrick