Gripos-kaiki by Giorgos - FINISHED

Anja, you caught me...post-3959-0-13680300-1368980060.gif

Yes the model is already built and is exhibited in 3w.naftotopos.gr.

I'm just transferring here the English version of that built log and that's why the fast work, that some mates have noticed.

Thank you all and I hope your interest, won't be affected by this revelation…

Ok. Back to the model, I took it out of the jig and I placed two more stringers at each side of the hull. By this way the construction became stronger.

strag-1.jpg

strag-2.jpg

strag-3.jpg

strag-4.jpg

strag-5.JPG

Starting the first planking, I placed the first on each side plank and at the level of gunwales.

At this point I decided to leave the small balks at their positions, between the frames, so I shaped them properly.

planking-1.jpg

planking-2.jpg

planking-3.jpg

Then, from inside the hull, I placed a plank on them and so they were covered.

planking-4.jpg

planking-5.jpg

planking-6.jpg

planking-7.jpg

Thank you

Giorgos,

And here we all thought you were just a speed builder.. :P  :P :P   That is some seriously good work you've done her and thanks for taking the time to put it on MSW. 

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

thanks for posting this here.......even though the build is finished,  I am enjoying your process very much.   superb looking framework.  :)

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller
Phylly C & Denny-Zen - the Lobsie twins - bashed & semi scratch dual build

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Billing's Gothenborg 1:100 / Billing's Boulogne Etaples 1:20
Billing's Half Moon 1:40 - some scratch required
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400
Trawler Syborn - semi scratch / Holiday Harbor dual build - semi scratch

Hi all.

@ Mark, I don't know how someone could be defined as "speed builder", but since the matter of time has been set, I have build this model within 120 days…

Ok Some more fast work, since last time… :)

I placed the gunwales on topsides and the second plank of the first planking.

planking-8.jpg

planking-9.jpg

Before I start placing planks at the keel, I couldn't resist to shape the "limber holes" on the floors.

Then I was ready to go with the planking,

planking-10.jpg

planking-11.jpg

planking-12.jpg

to the end of it…

planking-13.jpg

planking-14.jpg

planking-15.jpg

Thank you

Edited by Giorgos

Giorgos,

I sure like the lines of this boat, and your skills are first rate.

Bob

Every build is a learning experience.

Current build:  SS_ Mariefred

Completed builds:  US Coast Guard Pequot   Friendship-sloop,  Schooner Lettie-G.-Howard,   Spray,   Grand-Banks-dory

a gaff rigged yawl,  HOGA (YT-146),  Int'l Dragon Class II,   Two Edwardian Launches 

In the Gallery:   Catboat,   International-Dragon-Class,   Spray

Hi.

After the first planking I built the second one, using acer saccharum wood.

I painted the sides of the planks with white color in order to make the caulking of the hull, more visible after the final painting.

Sec-1.jpg

Sec-2.jpg

Sec-3.jpg

At this stage I made also some metal work, on bow and stern post.

Sec-4f.jpg

Sec-6.jpg

a very nice view of the ship's construction.   very well made  :)

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400

Hi.

The inner arrangement combined with the decoration, was a matter I had to paid attention.

These elements would highlight the specificity along with the character of the vessel.

Besides the decoration outside the bow and the stern post, there was an inner counter and some unusual shaped and decorated, bitts.

Once again some drawings were considered needed.

decor-1.jpg

decor-2.jpg

From the paper to the wood...

decor-4.jpg

decor-5.jpg

Giorgos this boat has very beautiful lines, your skill is apparent! a fine build.

Michael

Current builds  Bristol Pilot Cutter 1:8;      Skipjack 19 foot Launch 1:8;       Herreshoff Buzzards Bay 14 1:8

Other projects  Pilot Cutter 1:500 ;   Maria, 1:2  Now just a memory    

Future model Gill Smith Catboat Pauline 1:8

Finished projects  A Bassett Lowke steamship Albertic 1:100  

Anything you can imagine is possible, when you put your mind to it.

beautiful execution of detail.........nicely done ;)

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

Very fine craftsmanship and great detail.

Bob

Completed builds:  US Coast Guard Pequot   Friendship-sloop,  Schooner Lettie-G.-Howard,   Spray,   Grand-Banks-dory

a gaff rigged yawl,  HOGA (YT-146),  Int'l Dragon Class II,   Two Edwardian Launches 

I reached the point to deal with the oars.

The vessel didn’t have the usual rudder with the tiller, but it was handled by another oar, attached at the stern.

The ends of the oars was shaped in a particular form, that I suppose, were giving the maximum result. (It reminded me duck's foot...! post-3959-0-11125400-1370688613.gif)

DETAILES-7.jpg

DETAILES-8.jpg

DETAILES-9.jpg

I think I haven’t mentioned it but most of the small items were not glued in their final position and that because I wanted to painted them easily……

The colors were chosen according to the descriptions of the book,  photos of same vessels of our days and my own aesthetic….

colors-1.jpg

colors-2.jpg

colors-3.jpg

colors-4.jpg

I think next post should be the last one with the vessel completed…

Thanks

very nice work Giorgos....your oars look awesome.  I tried my hand at making some........I ended up making about 30 of them,  to come up with four that looked alike.   the paint must have been a pain........you mastered it quite well.  :)

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

Reaching the end of this built log, at first I would like to thank all of you who had the kindness to follow me in this journey and certainly the MSW.com for its hospitality.

I would like to thank also the team of 3w.naftotopos.gr for their support and the information that they provided me to accomplish this model.

Finally I would like to thank Thanasis who made this presentation and gave me the chance to show you some of the past of my country.

I named the model “Antigone”  ( the name of the Island, of Princes' Islands) and I devote this model to the author of the book Mr Akila Mila but also to those unknown  fishermen, who by serving these boats, they were composing part of our Naval tradition.

Photos of the model in the gallery http://modelshipworld.com/index.php?/gallery/album/370-gripos-kaiki/

Thank you

post-3959-0-72174000-1370930515_thumb.jpg

beautiful ship........not one you'd see every day.....which makes it even more special.   wonderful workmanship!

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

Giorgos,

A beautiful boat well built.  Thanks for sharing it with us.

Bob

Giorgos,

Thanks for sharing your beautiful build with us.  I hope you'll share your next one also. 

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

• The title was changed to Gripos-kaiki by Giorgos - FINISHED