Phantom Henry J Gasser by jct - FINISHED - 1/24 scale

jct

Thanks Denis...that is a nice small block, lots of options too I see, if it was mine I'd have to lose the chrome though...hummm what would it look the best in...kit prices are defiantly out of control, I haven't bought anything new for a while and am still in a state of sticker shock.   Which Sox and Martin ride did you score...I've been lusting after the 67 Belvedere.   

I've seen the big engine kits but I've no idea what the scale is, the ones I'm thinking of were stand alone kits... 

I got it...how about an old school Chevy shoebox gasser...fits right in with the 283...1238614047_55shoebox.jpg.86086ddc4eb14dcecb7b903d0b43198f.jpg

Edited by jct

a '55.......that's what I've been thinking........the engine compartment would have enough room for the blower configuration.  most if not all of the parts would be de-chromed........what were they thinking?!?!?!?!   as with some of the older kits........how many have you done,  that had the crankshaft and rocker arm detail?  I can't remember which one......but I do recall assembling an engine with the crankshaft and pistons.....the kit was awesome.  it had to be an old AMT kit....I believe they were the first to come out with the 3 in 1 kit.   this went on for a while,  and then the version kits came out,  adding aircraft and ships into the mix,  giving the modeler so much more choice.  of course,  a few small details were missed.......the savvy modeler was left to add them in.   so yea......since the engine is dated,  I thought to stay within the time frame.

the big kits are nice.......I recall building the old AMT "tub" Ford T.....a huge 1:8 scale model.   about this time,  is when I got away from the smaller kits and started building the larger kits.  I won't say that these kits were easier,  but it did save me a lot of time looking for dropped small parts  ;)   let's just say that the models were a lot more........tangible....LOL!   

I believe this is the sox and Martin model your referring to.......

525122709_Revell736567GTXexc.JPG.e2818724e60f24fd5b4bc34f1c5382fd.JPG

so many others I'd love to pull the trigger on.........the admiral would kill me!  they have some 1:25 scale funny and pro stock kits.......again,  if I were to look around,  I'd likely find them cheaper,  but these are the original releases.   if I were a collector,  I'd think they were worth it.....but I'm too much into the habit of building them ;)   I almost bought that four engine dragster........the look on the admiral's face made me think other wise...bad enough she doesn't know I bought this one.   I also saw a three NASCAR special deal that I wanted to jump on.......really good price  {see.....I really am a kid in a candy store,  when I visit this site}. 

well........I need to get my butt  busy on the train..........I put one of the domes together,  and I'm not too crazy about the fit,  and how cleaning it up messed up the gold chrome.  I also need to de chrome a couple of parts because they need to be painted...UGH!    got to run some errands.....I hope to end up near Hobby Lobby.......perhaps I can scope out the next victim ;) 

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller
Phylly C & Denny-Zen - the Lobsie twins - bashed & semi scratch dual build

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Billing's Gothenborg 1:100 / Billing's Boulogne Etaples 1:20
Billing's Half Moon 1:40 - some scratch required
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400
Trawler Syborn - semi scratch / Holiday Harbor dual build - semi scratch

Be thankful you have an Admiral that you have to answer to Denis.

I pretty much have free reign about what I buy, So does she, so I don't have the limiting factor of having to explain about what I just bought. So I am forced to restrict myself!!! I do OK at least some of the time but sometimes the lack of accountability leads to a "OH SHINNY" purchase and I feel guilty for having done it and have no one to blame but myself!

Lou

Build logs: Colonial sloop Providence 1/48th scale kit bashed from AL Independence

Currant builds:

Constructo Brigantine Sentinel (Union) (On hold)

Minicraft 1/350 Titanic (For the Admiral)

1/350 Heavy Cruiser USS Houston (Resin)

Currant research/scratchbuild:

Schooner USS Lanikai/Hermes

Non ship build log:

1/35th UH-1H Huey

Yep that's the one, just like the overall look of that car...I've had a handful kits that have included all the interior engine detail, always felt a little guilty covering up all that detail by assembling the engine...I came across some in my spares box last week, I think they are from the Polar Lights Ford Torino NASCAR kit...it came with both a 427 and a 428...got to dig around that's another unfinished project and them motors could get used somewhere else!! 

I've got a pile of NASCAR stuff I've never finished...some never started...kind of lost interest in that aspect of racing...I enjoyed it when the smaller teams could still be competitive, those days are long gone...same thing with straight line competition I suppose... 

I think all the chrome is to get your attention, apparently it worked :rolleyes:

I've told my better half time after time I wouldn't have much of value if not for her, she makes a nickel spend like a dime, but I would have ALL THE TOYS IN THE WORLD!!!!!

I'm with you both on the cost of our chosen hobbies though...the kits cost way to much

5 hours ago, jct said:

the kits cost way to much

Sometimes I feel it would be much better if I went back to my old RC days when my average ship ran me about $30. Old scrap wood and some shipping Styrofoam cut and sanded to shape, covered in fiberglass and sheets of plastic from some old realtor signs for the superstructure. All combined with similar junk found around the house, (Like an old chunk of drain pipe that happened to be the perfect diameter for the funnel). The radio was about all that cost anything and I used the same radio on all my ships for years!

Lou

Build logs: Colonial sloop Providence 1/48th scale kit bashed from AL Independence

Currant builds:

Non ship build log:

1/35th UH-1H Huey

not so much that J........it's that after a while,  they all look alike.  especially if the kits are from the same company.   yepper......back in the clay track days.  

I was living in Florida back then.......used to go to the track in Barberville.   the good 'ole boys and the 'thunder cars'.......they even had a 'powder puff' class.......women used to get into it too.   but as you pointed out,  the complaining about folks cheating....and the association wanting to level the playing field {driver's skill VS machine & making the sport safer}...well,  that began the down ward spiral choking the sport.  one type of car that really isn't modeled are the modified and super modified........short frame and all engine

images.jpg.eeb6100f86ae901e929c8699bba2f3dd.jpg      582361147_images(1).jpg.ecebc6fffe60df90e1e02e41694bd17c.jpg

super modified......with spoiler

171623258_image3.jpg.33586f4d0049d502597c69bf009e0778.jpg

there were a few models around,  but nothing like NASCAR and INDY.   this is what usually happened to models that I grew tired of.   saw these one time at Marlboro NY....what a spectacle!  even with the engines mainly stock.......speed wasn't an issue  ;)    I get the same feeling with the funny cars.......after a while,  they get a bit repetitive.  does one good to move around.  the admiral is a good egg.......I did manage to visit the local Hobby Lobby.......and yes,  I did pull a trigger {of sorts}.   it's not really the one I had in mind.......all foose this and custom that.......the notion of the 3 in one model today has gone away......I couldn't find a single one that resembled anything like a gasser.   the idea of the '55 / '57 chevy was a bust too....I saw nothing that had any options for a tubed front axle........only the A frame suspension.  I have a very small spare parts reserve.   so I settled on a '39 / '40 Ford sedan gasser model as a possible victim.  it looks nothing like a gasser........ it does have some options for the different years,  two different engines,  and a few other bells and whistles.  then the admiral saw this one model.  there was a time where soft drink companies got into the model biz.........Orange Crush had three or four kits {that was some time ago}......Pepsi I believe had one or two........Coke not only has three or four out there,  but you can also fine a semi tractor and trailer.......Budweiser too.  she saw one of these Coke delivery vans....1923 Ford Model T.  they also had a pick up truck and another one that resembled a giant vending machine {done as a model T type}.  I've done models like the Beer Wagon,  beach buggy {a garbage truck with surf boards on it},  the S'cool bus......and others.  Jeeps.......I've got two Ecto 1's........both kits were actually of the Ecto 1-A,  until I made the mods to one of them to build the Ecto 1 {so I'll have them both}.   looking at it,  I got some crazy ideas in my head....and so I scoffed it up too.  currently,  I'm collecting and building Batman vehicles.......I have the Michael Keaton Batmobile and the bat boat used in Batman returns {think that was Val Kilmer}.  I still need to finish the Adam West Batmobile,  and I have the Michael Keaton Batwing in the stash.

yea......chrome is overrated.......   as I once said,   it's taken a back seat to the more realistic paints that we have today.  back then,  they were adding color to the plastic for those who weren't into painting.......some were even done in multiple color plastic,  to make the finished model more attractive.   I don't think that they took into account that us modelers would learn techniques and evolve as fast as we did.  what did they expect?

perhaps I'll poke around Round 2 and see what they have.  if not,  then I will have to wait till the smoke clears from the delivery that is still in the wings ;)    🎶gonna be a hot time,  in the 'ole town tonight! 🎶

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400

6 hours ago, jct said:

I enjoyed it when the smaller teams could still be competitive, those days are long gone...same thing with straight line competition I suppose... 

Every 4th of July my dad would take us to Daytona for the Firecracker 400. Saw all the great drivers and iconic cars of the 60's and early 70's.

My dad was a huge race fan for just about any racing venue...horse races, car races, motorcycle races. Have great memories of those things. 

In the 60's, my dad and older brothers chipped in together and bought a racing go kart. A Dart Kart. It had twin Westbend racing engines. That thing was crazy fast and dangerous, too. My brother darn near killed himself in that thing.

they do get repetitive...way for the companies to save a few bucks...chassis and engine setups are identical...in some cases even the same bodies just different decals...a 40 Ford gasser can be cool, sounds like a lot of scratch building in your future...

7 hours ago, popeye the sailor said:

..used to go to the track in Barberville.   the good 'ole boys and the 'thunder cars'.......they even had a 'powder puff' class.......women used to get into it too. 

6 hours ago, CDW said:

Every 4th of July my dad would take us to Daytona for the Firecracker 400. Saw all the great drivers and iconic cars of the 60's and early 70's.

You guys have some solid memories there, never got to the track when I was a short...wrenching on my nasty old rides with my step dad out behind the house though...that was really cool

7 hours ago, lmagna said:

(Like an old chunk of drain pipe that happened to be the perfect diameter for the funnel)

That's called innovative thinking Lou...see you thought you was just bein' cheap:P!!

Guess I should throw a few comments on  the build while I'm here...nothing major going on, painting sub-assemblies and doing body prep getting it ready for paint

Edited by jct

poked into Round 2 last night........looks like they are revamping their site.....  it's OK......I'm doing a bit more painting to the General.......but in the meantime,  a bit of experimentation in in order.  this morning,  the admiral looked over my shoulder....ah....huh was all she said :ph34r:

scratch building?????   back in the day,  I always thought of it as chopping  :D 

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

Another update for y'all...thanks for the likes and comments...

the hood mod needed retaining strips added to keep it from falling through, made these from the same stiffened card the trans tunnel was made from

IMG_9766.JPG.53ad75613eb395bbff6e0bc4ad4ef253.JPGIMG_9767.JPG.665988ab1fce6726f94363e3a31b118b.JPG

the hood hinge was glued to the firewall

IMG_9769.JPG.7a0a42c795b244b880af5550620c2b2d.JPG

while that dried I went back to the frame rails...disassembly and striping had removed all the locating pins, so the frame was drilled and pins ca'ed in place, corresponding hole were drilled in the mating partsIMG_9770.JPG.60fe474d52eb82313811628eb1efc505.JPG

finished the rolling stock...wheels from the spares box, de-chromed and painted

IMG_9772.JPG.bf91fe029e78ff9ab3d9605d4330f3d6.JPG

and the suspension and chassis parts mounted and painted outIMG_9773.JPG.85ac55ec272f9ebb2079766e2116d619.JPG

the new engine and trans set up are longer then the kit supplied pair...so the drive shaft needed sectioned...it was cut and pined

IMG_9775.thumb.JPG.f6f30d323f5d5e3abe489fdcbf75c254.JPGIMG_9776.thumb.JPG.1bb269de3637ee485e3381b9b195b50c.JPG

body prep is done and the first color coat is one...more paint tomorrow...that's all for today, thanks for stopping by

Edited by jct

does this beauty have a grille?  if it does,  the problem would be solved later on in the project ;)    painting the rims.......good since a lot of the old school folks didn't spring for the cragers and slotted rims anyway.  looking very nice :)    I'm in short supply for a lift kit fir the front :(....I will have to make do.      look'in very good :) 

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

THX Denis...no grill t speak of...not how we think of them today anyhow...you can see it in this pic 

grill.jpg.dc1b065f863c091b58afe8592efac201.jpg

I've got that piece but it 'floats' in the opening...not sure if it's going into the finished ride or not...got to find/build a perch for the moon tank too

Check and see if you can just flip the spindles, that and lift block can get the front end up there, you could scratch a straight axle together pretty quick too

Thx for the likes and comments...final color coat on the body

IMG_9783.JPG.cb5214359caec527de3352c933fd6c19.JPGIMG_9782.JPG.18a29c6f79133915f4a374ba4ec2c255.JPGIMG_9785.JPG.41041a4be4618d6c3f4e62ca6a95ecce.JPGIMG_9784.JPG.58b9c7975bca161c83a9c8ef380872a0.JPG

Question for those of you who have used the Pledge floor gloss stuff...do you normally apply it now or after the decals go on...I know there are probably as many answers to this as there are users but what is your personal preference.

As I mentioned in an earlier post I've done some laser decals for this build, anyone have any idea how the floor stuff reacts with them??

Put the Pledge/Future/Kleer on first, then decal. You want a smoooth surface for the decals.

Ken

Started: MS Bounty Longboat,

On Hold:  Heinkel USS Choctaw paper

Down the road: Shipyard HMC Alert 1/96 paper, Mamoli Constitution Cross, MS USN Picket Boat #1

Scratchbuild: Echo Cross Section

Member Nautical Research Guild

Something I thought you car guys might be interested in...its a site that allows you to make licence plates from different states and from different eras as well...haven't checked all the states but Pa goes back to 1913...should cover any street stuff you want to plate, check it out if you have a chance, pretty cool

Plate Maker

Here's a pic of one I made, reduced in size and printed as a decal for the J...should have painted white behind it but I don't think it looks too bad

IMG_9786.JPG.57c7d01bc0429c850d73ed4de9ab7d6c.JPG

I remember this license plate site, or one like it, from many years ago. How the heck did you find it? Nice find. I had forgotten all about it until now.

I used to be part of 'Model Car List', an email model car forum of sorts. The thing shrunk away members over the years until there's hardly nothing left. Model car hobby was huge at one time. 

I also agree with Ken on the future. Put a coat down now for the decals to have a smooth surface, then  apply another coat after they are good and dry as protection. 

Also while your clear parts are still on the sprue, dip them in the Future and allow to drip dry. When dry they will REALLY look like glass!

Lou

Currant builds:

Non ship build log:

1/35th UH-1H Huey

came out really nice.......it's legible,  that's half the battle.   I have an assortment of plates that can be done with the decal maker....but with the transparency issue,  I would have to print them using white decal paper,  or paint the area that the decal is to go,  white.  if I use a darker color,  the decal will get lost.  metal flake black........nice paint job :) 

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

58 minutes ago, CDW said:

How the heck did you find it?

Being retired has it's advantages...got a lot of time:D

58 minutes ago, lmagna said:

I also agree with Ken on the future. Put a coat down now for the decals to have a smooth surface, then  apply another coat after they are good and dry as protection. 

Also while your clear parts are still on the sprue, dip them in the Future and allow to drip dry. When dry they will REALLY look like glass!

Thanks Lou...under and over coat

52 minutes ago, popeye the sailor said:

metal flake black........nice paint job :) 

Thanks Denis

Still working on the finishing details...bit of a set back with the decals...they worked perfectly but were so translucent they all but disappeared on the black body...oh well lesson learned, home made decals need light bodies or white decal paper, guess I should have gone with the green flake after all...   

May finish up tomorrow...depends on the youngest...stripped lugs nuts needing removal...one of those jobs that could be 5 minutes or 5 hours...

Thx for all the likes and comments

yea....I hear ya there.   I run into the same problem with the 'decal it' decal maker I use.  it's a transparency issue.   at one point,  I contacted them about it,  and they mentioned that there was an update for it.  I ordered it....think it cost me around $15.00............turned out,  it was nothing more than an image expansion update.  not that I needed it..........I can import any image I want to into the program.   I'll contact them again....one of these days.  so far,  I have been able to work around it without too much trouble.   I think I'll try and snap a few pictures of what this program is...I think you'll find it interesting ;) 

I have one to........my youngest calls me whenever he has a problem.   he can be a bit whiny,  but he needs to get it into his head that it's mechanical and things do break down  :D     I've been showing him quite a bit...even showed him how to mount a passenger tire.  I used to do it a lot when I was a kid.........after all,  I was a farm boy....something breaks down in the field,  the thing we worried about,  was our father kick'in our butts,  if we didn't get whatever it was up and running.  I should show him how to use a bubble balancer....first I got to go buy one  :D  :D   

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

yes........white decal paper.   you'll need to cut the image out exactly,  but ink jet printers max out at 600 dpi,  so they need a backing color to print on......kind of like a primer  ;)    one way to do it,  would be to do the image,  and then change the background color {white},  to the color you've chosen for the model.  my best example would be the Andrea Gail........I did the white name and stern marking,  and then changed the background field around the images to emerald green.  luckily,  it was in the color spectrum within the program.  there is a similar color spectrum in photo shop as well.

the limit with this,  is that you'd need to follow a color scheme that is within the spectrum........not too tough a pill to take  ;) 

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

I don't mind em needing a hand time and again...after all it just goes with the turf, what I trouble with is the procrastination...everything is at the absolute last minute...for me if you aint 10 min early you are 5 min late

I guess they cya by saying if you need a decal on dark surfaces to use white decal paper...but my designs were too complex to cut out each individual letter, I'll get some pics so you guys can see what I had in mind anyway, I think they're kinda cool

Thanks again for the likes and the comments

Not sure if my laser can print white or not...never tried...I guess I could do an outline on white paper and us it as an underlayment for the color decal...I'll have to play with the graphic and see what I can do

I think laser and jet are the same in that respect.   I looked into an ALPS printer.......they don't make them any more,  but I did find a place that sells refurbs.

you could also do something like an oval of white and put the lettering inside the oval.  I have something like that in the decal it program as well.....the circle with the number in side of it.....Gran Prix or Le Mans style  

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

neat look'in graphics!  :) 

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock: