Phantom Henry J Gasser by jct - FINISHED - 1/24 scale

jct

Thx...to bad they wont make it on this build:( and they don't go with anything else in my queue...wondering if anyone out there might be able to use um??

I'll bet there is someone out there who will print custom decals for a fee. Once a long time ago, thought about buying an Alps printer as well, but decided I would never use it enough to make it pay for itself. Don't know of any other desk top printer that will print white, but you just can't get around the fact you need white under the color.

I never seriously considered it but it was on the lotto list...I'm with you could never justify the cost...we ended up getting a laser for home use cause we use it so infrequently...with ink jets every time we went to use it the ink had evaporated and we needed new cartridges, yep white under it about the only way to make um work

Even though I have never had the ability or equipment to make my own decals I had pretty much the same thing happen on my 1966 Bruce McLaren LeMans Ford GT40 MKII. I thought it was possibly one of the best cars I had ever built. The black paint job came out almost perfect. When I applied the white number circles though the black showed through and they still look gray today as at the time I had no recourse. If I did it again I would be certain to paint white under the decals BEFORE putting them on. 

You may be right though. For your choice of theme it may have been better to go with a lighter body.

Edited by lmagna

Lou

Build logs: Colonial sloop Providence 1/48th scale kit bashed from AL Independence

Currant builds:

Constructo Brigantine Sentinel (Union) (On hold)

Minicraft 1/350 Titanic (For the Admiral)

1/350 Heavy Cruiser USS Houston (Resin)

Currant research/scratchbuild:

Schooner USS Lanikai/Hermes

Non ship build log:

1/35th UH-1H Huey

You could always try this one though

image.png.e1c9292f379680fe8e3dbaf05752cfed.png

Lou

Build logs: Colonial sloop Providence 1/48th scale kit bashed from AL Independence

Currant builds:

Non ship build log:

1/35th UH-1H Huey

That is the strangest gasser I've ever seen Lou...:blink:

Getting white under them is definitely a must, figuring out the best way to do it...that's a challenge 

4 hours ago, jct said:

That is the strangest gasser I've ever seen Lou...:blink:

Hey........... They ran on gas too! It's just that they had to do it for 24 hours straight!:D

As a side note, many American racers had problems when racing in the european endurance races. Most of the big block engines had issues running the low octane fuel used without considerable modification.:( They had to be set up one way for Sebring and Daytona and other American races and completely different for LeMans, Nurburgring, and the other major races of the day. The Ferrari's, Porsche's and others seemed to have less of an issue with this. 

Lou

Currant builds:

Non ship build log:

1/35th UH-1H Huey

2 hours ago, lmagna said:

Hey........... They ran on gas too! It's just that they had to do it for 24 hours straight!:D

As a side note, many American racers had problems when racing in the european endurance races. Most of the big block engines had issues running the low octane fuel used without considerable modification.:( They had to be set up one way for Sebring and Daytona and other American races and completely different for LeMans, Nurburgring, and the other major races of the day. The Ferrari's, Porsche's and others seemed to have less of an issue with this. 

High compression ratios require high octane fuel. No way around that except to lower compression ratio as far as I know.

I remember the original GT40s, I think that was the first american car that was competitive in the international endurance race circuit

they also required sufficient back pressure too....they had trouble 'porting' them.  there is no comparison between American engines and foreign engines.......we couldn't come up with the perfect turbocharged engines.  

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller
Phylly C & Denny-Zen - the Lobsie twins - bashed & semi scratch dual build

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Billing's Gothenborg 1:100 / Billing's Boulogne Etaples 1:20
Billing's Half Moon 1:40 - some scratch required
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400
Trawler Syborn - semi scratch / Holiday Harbor dual build - semi scratch

8 hours ago, CDW said:

No way around that except to lower compression ratio as far as I know.

If I remember correctly that is pretty much what they had to do. 

3 hours ago, jct said:

I remember the original GT40s, I think that was the first american car that was competitive in the international endurance race circuit

The only problem with that was that until until 1967 with the MK IV, the GT 40 was English designed and made with American engines. They were a direct descendant of Eric Broadley's Lola MK 6, a 1963 design.  As the MK 6 was equipped with a 289, Ford hired Broadley and bought his Lola to design the GT40. Broadley was never really happy working for Ford and did not agree with the concept of the GT 40 so when his contract ran out he designed the Lola T 70 and later the T 70 MK III. Most people say that the MK III was the car Broadley felt the GT 40 should have been. There is no doubt in my mind that if Broadley  had the same money and support that Ford had his MK III would have cleaned the field for at least the next few years before engine size limits were imposed and the Porsche 917 K came into it's own.

Lou

Currant builds:

Non ship build log:

1/35th UH-1H Huey

chassis is a rollerIMG_9788.JPG.86c5b0ee6d741ae0f6f2007d67a43040.JPG

interior is complete IMG_9789.JPG.8007a5b65b4bc88bbad5e758cca3cd0b.JPG

and then I knocked the body off the table

IMG_9790.JPG.1c12d2f32afb824dfabc4b1f15800a0e.JPGIMG_9791.JPG.9bacb99a7c40917904ef8527e29ed040.JPG

so the front end will be rebuilt/assembled and paint touched up...when this is complete...again, metal foil and windows

Edited by jct

10 hours ago, Tom E said:

I have a habit of wearing a sweatshirt in my Shipyard. 

I don't know how many times I've hooked something with the sleeve and sent it flying.

Thank goodness we all have a lot of glue around!

Tom E 

Seems I have to do it at least once per build...guess I'll never learn

I especially hate it when you freshly paint a part and send it flying ............picks up everything the vacuum doesn't!  minor setback  ;)   chassis and interior looks great.  I noticed you left in the rear seats.......are they molded?  they are like this in the '40 sedan......I think I have enough spare plastic to modify them out.

does dad know where you've been tak'in the car on week ends ? ;)  :ph34r:

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400

Hi Denis...ya they are molded in...I was gonna replace them with sheet but was reading the the rules for 1965 and found that the backseat was required along with upholstery 

Upholstery: Interiors may not be gutted. Must run full upholstery, equivalent to factory specifications. Floor mats optional. Bucket seats may replace stock seats (two required), only if they are fully upholstered. Rear seats when car is equipped from factory, must remain in the car during competition

It's always interesting when you get to read "the rules" that the owners were always trying to get around.

In the Sports prototype cars of the 60s it was stuff like having to have two seats, dated back to the cars carrying a mechanic, having to carry a spare tire. The only person allowed to touch the car on the open track was the driver. It was up to him to dig it out if it went off the track, or pick up lost body parts and get them back to the pits for the mechanics to fix, (See Bruce Mclaren 1967 Le Mans) Flying body parts,flat tires, coil falling of causing the engine to stop mid lap. and that was only part of his day! Chaparral having to drive two extra laps without engine coolant so they could get enough laps in to allow them to put coolant in the broken radiator. And best of all, (Not at LeMans) Dan Gurney having to push his car over the finish line when he had been running well out in 1st place. He still ended up with a DNF as the car has to cross over the finish line under it's own power!

They had much better rules in the beginning of the CamAm series of racing. Pretty much no rules! 

Edited by lmagna

Lou

Currant builds:

Non ship build log:

1/35th UH-1H Huey

it's been so long........forgot about some of that weird stuff.   to think.......I was going to do it to the '40 sedan :rolleyes:   during my time at Barberville,  there was this driver.......won quite a few races.   that ended when they found out that he was cheating the weight of the vehicle,  with removable parts of his roll cage.........the bars were solid.  all cars had to be a certain weight.  needless to say,  he took the walk of shame  :D  :D  :D 

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

I lived in Lake Mac........used to live in Deland too.  Daytona was my stomping grounds.......enjoyed going to the boardwalk.  1974 to 1979 :) 

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

Well...this was intended to be the final installment of this build...was...being the operative word.   During final assembly my best buddy...Tanz...needed to make a potty call,2002402466_Tanz2.jpg.c523334b77b6cb1541b7e49c0111fc38.jpg

sooo, set the gasser down were I thought the edge of the table was...

IMG_9793.JPG.5e7f45662a757e60ad0660ffb0909fd7.JPGIMG_9792.JPG.a2ea7c0a873ec171944b3257f2daf6b2.JPG

the firewall broke in two and the hood hinge was damaged, front fenders took some damage, plastic cracked beyond the glue joints, so I'm gonna revert back to the flip front and cover the damage as best I can...gotta do something about that lame a-- kit hinge though.  Hoping I can save the paint

I almost hit the like button, but that didn't seem the right response. So just let me say my heart is out to you and I hope you can get it back to where it needs to be.

Lou

Currant builds:

Non ship build log:

1/35th UH-1H Huey

On 3/15/2019 at 7:47 PM, jct said:

Would pass by Barbarville heading to Daytona...spent quite a bit of time in Around Ocala

My 3rd great grandfather came to the area now known as Ocala as one of the earliest settlers in the 1840's. He built the first courthouse there for Marion County. The Ocala Star Banner conferred with one of my cousins and then published a big write up about it in their paper. I have many many cousins in that area of Florida.

The couple pictured in the article are my 2nd great grandparents.

Caruthers News Article.jpg

I could tell ya a few stories about Daytona.......party central ;)   we made a lot of folks angry at the bumper cars.   

cool you have history there CDW   I see the article mentions the St John's river......interesting story about that river,  about the time I moved down there.

there was a lot of unrest with the KKK.   I don't have all the facts,  but in retaliation to what they were doing to the black community,  a group of blacks killed the grand wizard's son and took his wife and child,  tossing them in the ST John's river.   neither survived.  I moved down there in 1974...... this carried on until Christmas,  when the KKK wanted to have a float in the Deland Christmas parade.  against their better judgement,  they allowed them,  and during the parade,  they were pelted with rocks and vegetables,  which brought the parade to an abrupt halt!  Michael is my best friend,  since 1st grade.  funny.......I noticed this kid being bullied by a couple of other kids........call'in him four eyes,  because he wore glasses.  I broke up the taunting with fists blaz'in {can't stand that bull s......}.   his parents were like my second parents....they moved to Fla in 1969.  it was Michael that convinced me to move down there  ;)   best five years I ever had !    so many stories  :D  

are you stalling J..........throwing in your trump card..........your dog to distract us?!?!?!   you'd better tell Murphy to take a hike!  we want to see this model in all it's splendor.......can't do it with that lout hang'in around!   stop.............count to five..........breathe ;)    you'll get her fixed up.........and yes,  I do what lame a$$ hinge your talking about....I quite agree  ;) 

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

I hit the like button only because the chassis was shown..........   

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock: