L' Hermione by MESSIS - Artesania Latina - 1/89 - 2nd build

I don't suggest anything, as it is your build, and you should be happy with the way it looks. I'm not here to guide you into building "my" version. I just enjoy the ride, and ask silly questions out of curiosity

Carl

Carl

"Desperate affairs require desperate measures." Lord Nelson
Search and you might find a log ...

@cog Dear Carl am very happy that you follow my log and very  glad for all your comments/questions.... You make me ask myself questions and that is nice.

So your questions are definitely not "silly"... on the contrary they are helping.

I dont know if my previous response sounded defensive. That wasnt meant to be. And if it did, that makes me feel very embarrassed, so please accept my apologies.

As already said please keep coming with ideas... it helps a lot and ofcourse it makes the log more lively!

Still would like your thoughts on the issue of  painting a finish layer over the already  painted hull.

Christos

Edited by MESSIS

My reason for asking: I found the colours rather lifeless, flat, I might have added a satin finish, it would look more like the finish on HMS Victory, or L'Hermione's replica ... c'est tout

Carl

@cog haven't though of  this and  it seems you are right. Good point! Am going to make some tests and see how it looks. And yes satin finish can bring it to life. Have only one fear... if the satin finish takes away the plank pattern that is now visible (I tried hard to maintain it by using a very thin primer layer and just one coat of finish paint) 

I ll let you know about the test. I am going first to wait to finish the copper in case I need to touch up paint damages. 

Thx Carl

Christos

Edited by MESSIS

You can dilute lacquer too my friend. Acrylic paints can be applied rather thin. When I look at my plastic builds, I used rattle can lacquer, and those still show the details.

Carl

@cogYes thats correct. Look the pictures I did some tests... the blue looks much better with a sattin varnish. The yellow its not bad.... the black I dont know it seems you are right again I have to dilute with more water.

What do you think?

Christos

qqqq.png

Edited by MESSIS

It seems the varnish brings out the structure of the wood. You could try a mat varnish to see what effect that will give. It will never be really flat, so give it a try

Edited by cog

Carl

@cog yes you right. Its the admiralty  satin matt.... its very nice on unpainted wood though, but here....

I ll give it a shot, but matt am afraid it wont take away the flatness 

Christos

Edited by MESSIS

So now after 160 working hours -from  beginning  the build in.March- I have ended the coppering.

I used about 1000 plates, as the 1790 Ship, a bottle of acetone and 2 lemons to clean the plates from glue and finger tips although I was wearing plastic gloves during this work. I also used up the kitchen nylon roll of my wife! (Used it to cover the finished coppering).

At the end the rudder with its pintels and gudgeons... you can see in the picture the greek words for those two items.  

And ofcourse the false keel was left without copper sheathing, in order to allow the replacement of the false keel when needed

cop2.jpg

20190607_102110.jpg

cop.jpg

Edited by MESSIS

Looks like you haven't finished quite ..., nevertheless it looks amazing, and so clean ...

Carl

@cog The first picture it shows the finished coppering, now the second picture (showing a stage before finishing) was supposed to be posted before the first one, but something went wrong I guess.... anyway I just reedited the post and placed the pictures in the correct time sequence. 👌

Its very warm allready in Cyprus... 32 degrees Celsius. So thank you for your understanding!😎

460-beach_793344c.jpg

images.jpeg

Edited by MESSIS

I meant the bottom of the keel. Looks still "uncopperd".. I wouldn't mind thse temperatures in Cyprus, but those are a disaster here - high humidity

Carl

I’ve coppered two hulls now.  It’s well worth the work.

Building: 1:64 HMS Revenge (Victory Models plans)

1:64 Cat Esther (17th Century Dutch Merchant Ships)

On the building slip: 1:72 French Ironclad Magenta (original shipyard plans)

On hold: 1:98 Mantua HMS Victory (kit bash), 1:96 Shipyard HMS Mercury

Favorite finished builds:  1:60 Sampang Good Fortune (Amati plans), 1:200 Orel Ironclad Solferino, 1:72 Schooner Hannah (Hahn plans), 1:72 Privateer Prince de Neufchatel (Chapelle plans), Model Shipways Sultana, Heller La Reale, Encore USS Olympia

Goal: Become better than I was yesterday

"The hardest part is deciding to try." - me

@cog it seems you forget Cyprus is in.Mediterranean and almost in Middle East... so humidity is uncomncomparly worst than The Netherlands. Just an example: in August there are days that humidity may reaches even 90% and temperature 40 deg. Celsius!

.Now is still wonderful with 28 degrees and 65% humidity.

Edited by MESSIS

Proceeding with the gun deck. Lining of the walls and the inside of the gun ports.

And the waterway's harder reinforcing wood (stained) is connecting the deck floor with the walls. It has a concave profile in order to drain the water at the scuppers. (I dont know why but the AL instruction show a concave waterway!)

20190611_122628.jpg

20190611_123335.jpg

Edited by MESSIS

Finished the gun-ports lining. There are 15 gun-ports on each side. The last gun-poet before the ship's stern had no cannon, it was a glazed window of Lafayet''s cabin(same on the other ship side for Lafayette's second). The first gun-ports on each side, near the cheeks of the head, are the bow chaser gun-ports (firing at pursued ships). Both have hinged  port lids to avoid water from large waves entering the ship.

All the other gun-ports -when not in use-had a false lid.

20190614_122224.jpg

Edited by MESSIS