USS Constitution Best historical wooden kit available?

J11

I am looking into a build for the USS Constitution and have seen all the kits available. Three of them are my final choice for the kit and would like to know from fellow modelers which one's they feel are the best for historical accuracy. The Bluejackets kit seems very impressive along with the price for quality, I also like the Model Shipway's kit which is a good price. I also like the Model Space kit. Which kit have you built and do you like? As fellow modelers know, quality and cost go hand in hand so I would like the best for the build when i decide to get her. Thanks for all the help!

Current build project: 

CSS Alabama 1/96

https://modelshipworld.com/topic/20148-css-alabama-by-jonathan11-revell-196-scale-kit-bash-90-historical-accuracy/

Finished build projects 2018:

H.L Hunley 1/24

CSS Arkansas 1/96

• 1 year later...

Those two are considered the most accurate though each represents a different time frame.  I'd say pick based on time period and/or price and how the model is built.  They use different methods.  As for Model Space, I have no idea.  Is it a re-branded kit or one that DeAgostini designed?

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

You can see the Model Space instructions here:  Instructions

It looks like an original kit based on the present configuration..

“Indecision may or may not be my problem.”
― Jimmy Buffett

Current builds:    Rattlesnake (Scratch From MS Plans 

On Hold:  HMS Resolution ( AKA Ferrett )

In the Gallery: Yacht Mary,  Gretel, French Cannon

9 minutes ago, Gregory said:

You can see the Model Space instructions here:  Instructions

It looks like an original kit based on the present configuration..

That makes things interesting.   Looks like there's a third time period for this ship.   

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

I thought we had three for a while now..   BlueJacket = 1812, Mamoli = 1927 and ModelShipways = ~contemporary ?

Am I wrong about that?

P.S.

The Constructo kit appears to be 1927 also..

― Jimmy Buffett

Blue Jacket's kit is endorsed by the USS Constitution Museum as "The official kit of the USS Constitution Museum".  Sounds like it's accuracy is backed by the experts.

Kurt Van Dahm

Director

NAUTICAL RESEARCH GUILD

www.thenrg.org

SAY NO TO PIRACY. SUPPORT ORIGINAL IDEAS AND MANUFACTURERS

CLUBS

Nautical Research & Model Ship Society of Chicago

Midwest Model Shipwrights

North Shore Deadeyes

The Society of Model Shipwrights

Butch O'Hare - IPMS

I would also like to know which Constitution kits have the best instructions also?

Bob Garcia

"Measure once, cuss twice!"

Current Builds: 

Hms Brig-Sloop Flirt 1782 - Vanguard Models

Pen Duick - Artesania Latina 1:28

Completed: Medway Longboat 1742 - Syren Ship Model Co. 

Member of the Nautical Research Guild

14 minutes ago, Gregory said:

Model Space would probably take the prize for that..

I was just on Model Space's web site USA and it appears that they are out of stock on most of there ship models. And after reading one of our members (RickyGene) experiences receiving his subs I think I would want the whole kit before I started a build. 

"Peace is not something you wish for; It's something you make, Something you do, Something you are, And something you give away" by Robert Fulghum

Does model space make their own, unique version of the Constitution or do they just repackage a kit from another company, with permission, and then upgrade the instructions also?

Bob Garcia

"Measure once, cuss twice!"

Current Builds: 

Hms Brig-Sloop Flirt 1782 - Vanguard Models

Pen Duick - Artesania Latina 1:28

Completed: Medway Longboat 1742 - Syren Ship Model Co. 

Member of the Nautical Research Guild

Looking at their instructions I linked to above, it doesn't look like a kit I am familiar with..

It may be a re-packaged Constructo kit.

It's definitely their own plans.

It looks like the 1927 configration..    The actual plans for the 1927 restoration are available.

― Jimmy Buffett