Good afternoon all

I'm planning on starting the Caldercraft  HMS Diana shortly..  What type of wood is recommended for decking a 1/64 scale ship. 

Many thanks

Jim

Jim T

Current build:  HMS Agamemnon - Caldercraft - 1:64

Jim,

There's no "one" answer for that.  It all depends on the builder.  It's usually lighter colored woods such a basswood, boxwood, yellow cedar, etc.   What's the kit supply?

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

Hi Jim, as Mark has suggested - a lighter coloured wood for the decks (to represent a holystoned deck).  Selection may come down to the width of the planks (at scale) that you need if you are not milling your own wood.  It will depend on what sizes (in the types of wood you are considering) are available from hobby suppliers if you are not happy with the kit wood.  

cheers

Pat

If at first you do not suceed, try, and then try again!
Current build: HMCSS Victoria (Scratch)

Next build: HMAS Vampire (3D printed resin, scratch 1:350)

Built:          Battle Station (Scratch) and HM Bark Endeavour 1768 (kit 1:64)

Gidday Jim.

I have found Boxwood or basswood, if you can source it, is a good planking material. Where in the world are you? This may have some bearing on availability. Another factor is cost. The postage charges from some countries make purchases exorbitant.  What timber is supplied with the kit? 

I apologise for posing more questions than answers but I feel they are relevant.

Wishing you all the best,

Mark.

Many thanks for the answers guys,, ...  the kit looks really nice,,, after modelling for more years than I care to remember,,  mainly, 1:35 modern British armour, in multiple mediums,, I've decided to try something different,, long term as I retire in 4 weeks,,this will be my first large scale wooden model...  

As part of my hobby, I find it enjoyable to carry out as much research as possible,,  my wife says I'm too much of a perfectionist,,,...After reading a few of the excellent logs on MSW,,, I thought I would ask the question about the wood  for decks,,,...

The kit came with1 x4mm Tanganijka strips for the decking,,, it looks OK,, however I was just wondering what type of wood would look nice...  and authentic... I find in the plastic model world,, manufacturers can make things over scale,, or miss out the finer details,,,  but part of the fun is putting it right...  it would be boring if you just opened a box,, and glued it together in a couple of hours,, etc...

The kit also comes with Limewood and Walnut for the 1st and 2nd planking

pontiachedmark, I'm from sunny Scotland,,,,,I recently bought some basswood...  sheets and strips to have a look at that,,,  I was also looking at pear wood …...

Many thanks

Jim

Edited by JamesT1
more detail

Jim T

Take a look at locally available Acer sp. ( Maple)  Beech  Birch  Hornbeam

Pear - excellent for hull planking and frames.

Wood choices get a bit twisted in locally available species.  In North America, we often substitute our domestic species for ones economically available in Europe but expensive here and they somehow get a boost into a preferable import status there.  It is a bit perverse. 

NRG member 45 years

Current:  

HMS Centurion 1732 - 60-gun 4th rate - Navall Timber framing

HMS Beagle 1831 refiit  10-gun brig with a small mizzen - Navall (ish) Timber framing

The U.S. Ex. Ex. 1838-1842
Flying Fish 1838  pilot schooner -  framed - ready for stern timbers
Porpose II  1836  brigantine/brig - framed - ready for hawse and stern timbers
Vincennes  1825  Sloop-of-War  -  timbers assembled, need shaping
Peacock  1828  Sloop-of -War  -  timbers ready for assembly
Sea Gull  1838  pilot schooner -  timbers ready for assembly
Relief  1835  ship - timbers ready for assembly

Other

Portsmouth  1843  Sloop-of-War  -  timbers ready for assembly
Le Commerce de Marseilles  1788   118 cannons - framed

La Renommee 1744 Frigate - framed - ready for hawse and stern timbers

Good Morning Mark

Not yet,,,  it will be a  couple of weeks before I start the model,,  so not too much of a hurry...

The general consensus is for a light wood, so in addition to the wood supplied with the model and the Basswood I have ordered some Obeche Stripwood to look at... 

I have book marked some  Beech, Cherry and Pear Stripwood...  just In case I'm not too happy with the others.... although the Cherry and Pear look to be a bit dark for my needs...

I'll keep you updated...

Many thanks

Jim

Jim T

I used holly for my deck, but it's too white in my opinion. I wished I had very slightly stained it, as I can't see any of the common deck woods of the time looking this bone white despite holystoning and UV bleaching. Maybe it will be better after it yellows a bit.

20190428_225958.thumb.jpg.fc21d44741412856283197b004b96754.jpg