Santisima Trinidad by LFNokia - FINISHED - OcCre - 1:90

On 6/2/2020 at 7:33 PM, mtdoramike said:

When I saw a build thread going on the Santisima Trinidad, I was elated. This is one of my top 5 model kits. My question to you is, are you trying to weather the model, or make it into a ship wreck? The reason why I ask this is because weathering can add to a model when tastefully done, but really de-track from a model when it is over done. Full scale Military vessels were never weathered or allowed to weather very much, the job of the crew was to insure the ship remained in tip top shape even when out to sea.     

Is it written somewhere that I have to make the ship respecting your idea of how much a ship would be allowed to weather? 

Is it written anywhere that the ship I'm building for myself has to be considered realistically possible overall and by you in particular? 

Have you posted on every build log that the builder didnt paint the ship saying that leaving the wood exposed wouldn't happen on the real ship? 

Have you posted on every build log that the builder used varnish or oils to give some shine and accent the wood that the ship wouldn't be like that in reality? 

Have you posted on all the Santisima Trinidad build logs that the bulwark on the top deck is wrong? 

Have you posted on all the Santisima Trinidad build logs that the occre stern is clearly not real? 

Are we going to tell everyone that as painted the victory or is going to paint it in yellow to paint it on the pinkish yellow in the name of what is now the perceived reality of the color?

From using different types of wood to simulate paint, to including some details, not including others, making things off scale, painting some parts and not painting others, cheats tricks, and so many other things,. We make choices and compromises that at the end of the day are purely an aesthetic choice and nobody attacks them under the "the ship wouldn't be like this" because you are used to it, or because even if it's not real it appeals to you, so no need for the regular reality excuse. 

Weathering the ship, to whatever extent I have decided, is another of those choices, one you don't have to like, and one you are clearly not used to see, but still as unreal as a santisima Trinidad or a hms victory without any paint, and I don't see the reality defenders attacking those choices

weathering is not for everyone, I get that, you don't like it, awesome, what I don't get is the need to use the, this wouldn't happen in reality excuse. Everyone is welcomed to state their opinion, positive or negative, just not under this bs excuse. 

If you pretend the ship survived the battle, was taken by pirates and not taken care, is it plausible then? 

Does a hipothetical scenario help ou accept my choice of weathering? 

On tank camouflage sometimes modelers make up their own design and usually state "fictional camo",    If I ask a mod to add "fictional weathering" to the topic title would make you more confortable? 

Am I trying to weather a model or make it look like a shipwreck? 

Neither, I'm trying to weather a model exactly to this extent, for my viewing pleasure and completely disregarding what you consider to be tasteful weathering or too much weathering. 

You don't like this look, I'm sure you are not alone, and that's fine, just take it for what it is and don't use the not real excuse

I don't make shiny ships, I make some more weathered and others less, this one is a lot, and it's not even all weathering done, I like it, the girlfriend also likes it, that's good enough for me

If I really wanted to make it as real as possible, I would have to do mud at the bottom of the sea

If I offended you, that was not my intent, I was merely asking if this was the look you were going for and if your intent was to make it more of a ghost ship or a ship that had just been through several battles. You usually don't see a ship weathered to this point. As long as you are building a model to your liking that is what it's all about.

It's not about offending, it's the constant stream of people "reminding" that a ship wouldn't reach this point, that the sailor responsible for the cannon would be whipped for letting it reach this point, and many many reminders alike, that are too many to list all of them

It's the mindset beeing stuck on what is the usual model that anything that deviates from the usual is to be reminded it's not real

The mindset that the ultimate goal of the hobby is historical accuracy, even if lots of inacuracies are simply accepted

And also... the idea that realism and historical accuracy are synonyms, and they are not, you can make something look real, even if it never existed

Plastic modeling also went through it, but more than 20 years ago

It's at best an average kit, barelly has any decorations, it's for sure missing many details, it has a very poor stern, it was a perfect candidate for the "extreme weathering yet historically inaccurate" aproach

It is an interesting concept and I do like your approach to it as well as the video. I would like to ask how you did the weathering on the unpainted wood? I'm considering trying my hand at extreme weathering a wooden tall ship model for my grandson and making it like a ghost ship and possibly in a diorama scene. Nothing fancy like as large as the Trinidad, something a bit more of a smaller scale and fairly cheap in case I mess it up. 

1 hour ago, mtdoramike said:

It is an interesting concept and I do like your approach to it as well as the video. I would like to ask how you did the weathering on the unpainted wood? I'm considering trying my hand at extreme weathering a wooden tall ship model for my grandson and making it like a ghost ship and possibly in a diorama scene. Nothing fancy like as large as the Trinidad, something a bit more of a smaller scale and fairly cheap in case I mess it up. 

Wich wood are you referring to? The deck? 

I didn't realize you have documented all of your progress on YouTube, I'm checking them out now to see how you weathered parts such as the Deadeyes, which look like they were blackened. I have done very little weathering on any of the 60-70 models that I have built because I usually build to sell or donate and people usually gravitate more toward shiny things, which is why I'm considering trying my hand at weathering a model for my grandson.  

Wow, this is AWESOME! How have I not seen this before?

Fantastic photography and videos. I'm going back to the beginning now to take a look through them all.

I really like the weathering effect you have done. The paint chipping effect looks incredible and I will try it on a future build.

Thanks for taking the time to post such a detailed log. I can honestly say I have learnt some great tips and have taken inspiration from your build.

I'll be following along from now on!

Wow, this is incredible work. I am very impressed and rather speechless watching part 9 on the first page making the weathered bulwark. I have seen mention of weathering effects, but never actually seen it done and certainly not in a video. I'll go back and watch more from the beginning.

I am following and bookmarked this build for future reference. Keep up the excellent work. 

Matt

Completed Builds: Viking Drakkar - Amati - Scale 1:50

18th Century Longboat - Model Shipways - Scale 1:48

Wow, the weathering is incredible, sure it's very difficult to take this level. I recognize my first time seeing the photos is a bit annoying, all people expects a great look, wonderful & brilliant colors, but… as more i see the photos, more i like it!!! in fact i'll apply it using chalk paint to my current Project, attached a photo.

And this is your decision, the most important is that you'll proud of your model. It'll be different and it's not easy in a global world, with hundreds of modellers making the same model with the same colors and same result. Well done!

Regards,

F.

barquita1.jpg

i just so love all the weathering effects

Its all part of Kev's journey, bit like going to the dark side, but with the lights on

All the best

Kevin :omg:

SAY NO TO PIRACY. SUPPORT ORIGINAL IDEAS AND MANUFACTURERS.
KEEP IT REAL!

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

On the build table

HMS Indefatigable 1794 by Kevin - Vanguard Models - 1:64 - Feb 2023 

HMHS Britannic by Kevin 

SD 14  - Marcle Models - 1/70 - March 2022 -  Bluebell - Flower Class - Revel - 1/72   U552 German U Boat - Trumpeter - 1/48  Amerigo Vespucci     1/84 - Panart-   HMS Enterprise  -CAF -  1/48     

Finished     

St-Nectan-Mountfleet-models-steam-trawler-1/32 - Completed June 2020

HMS Victory - Caldercraft/Jotika - 1/72 - Finished   Dorade renamed Dora by Kevin - Amati - 1/20 - Completed March 2021 

Stage Coach 1848 - Artesania Latina - 1/10 -Finished Lady Eleanor by Kevin - FINISHED - Vanguard Models - 1/64 - Fifie fishing boat