Sovereign Of The Seas by NMBROOK - Scale 1/84 - based on the works of Van De Velde the elder

Thank you very much Michael and Ferit :)  :) I have lots planed for the machine and half of it is using the dividing table.You  are quite correct Ferit,whilst I can do everything by hand,if I wish to complete the build in a reasonable time frame,I need some more tools.I can officially say that everything else that goes on this build will be scratchbuilt.So the only kit parts left are about 80mm of the bottom of the bulkheads.I shall however by buying the cannons and rigging blocks.

Kind Regards Nigel

Currently working on Royal Caroline

The carvings of SoS were already beyond my thoughts, but now during the improvement, I can see clearly also this is  a ship too hard to build through every piece. Fabulous!...

Edited by ashiponthehorizon

Best Regards…

Ferit KUTLU

Under construction: Frigate Berlin (Brandenburg Navy)

Hope: Frigate Wappen Von Hamburg (Brandenburg Navy)

Nigel,

Yes, paraphrasing others; beautiful forecastle update. Well worth the time. And as Matti noted the colors work harmoniously together.

Regards,

Michael

Michael

Current buildSovereign of the Seas 1/78 Sergal

Under the table:

Golden Hind - C Mamoli    Oseberg - Billings 720 - Drakkar - Amati

Completed:   

Santa Maria-Mantua --

Vasa-Corel -

Santisima Trinidad cross section OcCre 1/90th

Gallery :    Santa Maria - Vasa

Nigel,

You're not slowly catchee monkey... you own him.  Great work. 

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

Great, Daniel

To victory and beyond! http://modelshipworld.com/index.php?/topic/76-hms-victory-by-dafi-to-victory-and-beyond/

See also our german forum for Sailing Ship Modeling and History: http://www.segelschiffsmodellbau.com/

Finest etch parts for HMS Victory 1:100 (Heller Kit) and other useful bits.

http://dafinismus.de/index_en.html

As I mentioned earlier,these next few stages are really slow.I have fitted the deck beam shelves and planked the inside of the hull on the starboard side,including lining the gunports.The framework of the entry port is in place,but this will have the carvings added at a later date,probably when I fit the channels as they sit on the middle channel.I had to reverse engineer the gunports to ascertain the deck levels which involved a great deal of headscratching,but it did 'prove' my gunports were correct.The internal planking has had several coats of poly applied in preparation for treenailing.I am using Dafi's(thank you Dafi) idea for drilling the holes inside.I have glued a drill into the end of a bamboo skewer so I can poke it through the gunports to drill the holes on the opposite internal face.I have given it a try and it works great,but it ain't no Dremel so I may be at it some time

Kind Regards Nigel 

post-1641-0-16860700-1382875331_thumb.jpg

post-1641-0-59988600-1382875344_thumb.jpg

post-1641-0-39983400-1382875357_thumb.jpg

Edited by NMBROOK

Nigel,

At the risk of certainly repeating myself, it is such a pleasure to look at your ship's updates. Your art work is as good as it gets. Even with the ofttimes redundant details that take time and several yawns to get through your example is certainly a project of love.

PS: Ah yes, those winter storms of the UK. Having lived there for 2 years back in the 90s (London; St John's Wood), I remember inclement and cold weather. But, I also cherish the memories visiting our favorite pub (Greene King) and enjoying a pint (or two) sitting outside at 10:00 pm in mid July with a still wonderful glow of subdued sunlight. We loved the UK, and in fact my sweetheart and I were speaking of wanting to return someday.

PS2 I, of course, boarded the HMS Victory and saw the Mary Rose, as well as the Cutty Sark. 

PS3 Your Maritime museum, Greenwich is the best in the world. Better than the Paris example of the same (:-)

As always,

Regards

MIchael

Michael

Under the table:

Completed:   

Santa Maria-Mantua --

Vasa-Corel -

Thank you very much indeed Michael.As you know yourself,it is the little details that all add up to the complete picture.Some can be monotonous and very boring(faced with drilling a thousand holes using a drill bit and bamboo skewer,but no pun intended),but I don't think any project so far has got me quite so fired up as this one.Sometimes I look at the model and think'is there any point posting some pictures'as despite maybe 50 hours work it doesn't look any different.Then I think 'yes I will' as this is a journey and whilst some days big differences will occur,then weeks of work can go by with little difference immediately apparent.

I visited the NMM a couple of years ago and was a little disappointed having seen so many articles in the past.From what I can gather it has changed alot in recent years and my main motivation for going was to view the models,there was maybe 8 on display in a pokey little sideroom.

Portsmouth historic dockyard was a different matter altogether,Victory,Warrior and particularly Mary Rose left a massive impression.Mary Rose so much so,that my wife has insisted I make a model of her.This will probably be the model that gets a place in the living room.I hope to revisit her now that she is no longer being sprayed with polyethylene glycol and has a new enclosure.

Kind Regards Nigel

Thank you very much indeed Admiral.The deck levels at the stern did take a lot of thought as did planning the upcoming deck structure.Having no drawings as none exist means having to think probably four steps ahead of the one I am actually working on.

Kind Regards Nigel

you can always put her into my living room, lovely work

Its all part of Kev's journey, bit like going to the dark side, but with the lights on

All the best

Kevin :omg:

SAY NO TO PIRACY. SUPPORT ORIGINAL IDEAS AND MANUFACTURERS.
KEEP IT REAL!

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

On the build table

HMS Indefatigable 1794 by Kevin - Vanguard Models - 1:64 - Feb 2023 

HMHS Britannic by Kevin 

SD 14  - Marcle Models - 1/70 - March 2022 -  Bluebell - Flower Class - Revel - 1/72   U552 German U Boat - Trumpeter - 1/48  Amerigo Vespucci     1/84 - Panart-   HMS Enterprise  -CAF -  1/48     

Finished     

St-Nectan-Mountfleet-models-steam-trawler-1/32 - Completed June 2020

HMS Victory - Caldercraft/Jotika - 1/72 - Finished   Dorade renamed Dora by Kevin - Amati - 1/20 - Completed March 2021 

Stage Coach 1848 - Artesania Latina - 1/10 -Finished Lady Eleanor by Kevin - FINISHED - Vanguard Models - 1/64 - Fifie fishing boat

Thank you very much Ferit and Kevin for your kind words :) That's a kind offer Kevin,but she is going to take pride of place in the spare room in a rather large cabinet,just haven't mentioned that to my wife yet :D

Kind Regards Nigel

Thank you very much indeed Michael.As you know yourself,it is the little details that all add up to the complete picture.Some can be monotonous and very boring(faced with drilling a thousand holes using a drill bit and bamboo skewer,but no pun intended),but I don't think any project so far has got me quite so fired up as this one.Sometimes I look at the model and think'is there any point posting some pictures'as despite maybe 50 hours work it doesn't look any different.Then I think 'yes I will' as this is a journey and whilst some days big differences will occur,then weeks of work can go by with little difference immediately apparent.

I visited the NMM a couple of years ago and was a little disappointed having seen so many articles in the past.From what I can gather it has changed alot in recent years and my main motivation for going was to view the models,there was maybe 8 on display in a pokey little sideroom.

Portsmouth historic dockyard was a different matter altogether,Victory,Warrior and particularly Mary Rose left a massive impression.Mary Rose so much so,that my wife has insisted I make a model of her.This will probably be the model that gets a place in the living room.I hope to revisit her now that she is no longer being sprayed with polyethylene glycol and has a new enclosure.

Kind Regards Nigel

Nigel,

Hmmmmm very unfortunate update regarding the Maritime Museum. I remember admiring soooo many beautiful model ships, many of which, of course, were period builds. Whomever are responsible for those decisions should walk the plank.

I will then just remember the wonderful memories of that visit. I imagine that these silly things still take up museum space, see pic (:-)

Regards,

Michael

post-735-0-66002100-1382980535_thumb.jpg

Michael

Under the table:

Completed:   

Santa Maria-Mantua --

Vasa-Corel -

I would treasure the mug Michael,because that may become a collectors item.Most of the museum was an interative multimedia setup.I whole heartedly agree

with the need to get children engaged in history.However it has come at the expense of the big kids interests :(  :( .It has been mentioned on this forum that the maritime display including the builders model of Prince 1670 :wub:  :wub:  :wub: in the Science museum in London has been replaced with a display of mobile phones :(  :( I guess it is a sign of how times are changing,arguable though as to whether this is for the better.

Kind Regards Nigel

I would treasure the mug Michael,because that may become a collectors item.Most of the museum was an interative multimedia setup.I whole heartedly agree

with the need to get children engaged in history.However it has come at the expense of the big kids interests :(  :( .It has been mentioned on this forum that the maritime display including the builders model of Prince 1670 :wub:  :wub:  :wub: in the Science museum in London has been replaced with a display of mobile phones :(  :( I guess it is a sign of how times are changing,arguable though as to whether this is for the better.

Kind Regards Nigel

Very surprising indeed. A country with such a history to become "American" and cast aside some of its glorious past is, well, shocking. We in the USA are PHD's in destroying our past history by mostly tearing down the old and building something new above the removed rubble. Unless one travels to Boston or Philadelphia we would never know where we started from some 350 years ago.

That mobile phone bit is so sad, not for folks our age but for today's children. Such a disconnect. Regarding museums, much is the same here with interactive displays, but there must be places where one just goes just to look in wonder, don't you think? (that was a rhetorical question).

Michael

Michael

Under the table:

Completed:   

Santa Maria-Mantua --

Vasa-Corel -

Thank you very much indeed Mark.In Sergal's defence there seems to be a wealth of reference material appear over the last few years,that wasn't readily available when they designed the kit.I think that's the main reason they based their kit on Sepping's model in the NMM Greenwich,London.

Kind Regards Nigel

Edited by NMBROOK

Thank you very much indeed Nat :) Progress has slowed a little at the moment due to other projects but I hope to finish the internal hull faces and get the lower gun deck in within the next few weeks.

Kind Regards Nigel

Thank you very much indeed Kobus for your kind words :blush:  :blush: I have been slowly plodding on treenailing the inside of the hull,not the easiest of tasks I have to admit,but I have nearly finished the starboard side.I shall post some pics when that is done.

Kind Regards Nigel