Revell P-51"Flying Dutchman" 1/32 by Javlin- Finished

Javlin

Javlin, That is a great story. Your planes are beautiful. I go back & forth between everything. I was on HO train layouts for over 40 years, but love everything to build. There are some great builders on this site. 

A kid I graduated high school with flew F 86E's in Korea & was the last 86 lost in the war in summer 1953. I was just starting my building business then. He caught fire over the Yalu river & tried to make the yellow sea & disappeared in a cloud rom his wingman. 

1 hour ago, gene1 said:

Javlin, That is a great story. Your planes are beautiful. I go back & forth between everything. I was on HO train layouts for over 40 years, but love everything to build. There are some great builders on this site. 

A kid I graduated high school with flew F 86E's in Korea & was the last 86 lost in the war in summer 1953. I was just starting my building business then. He caught fire over the Yalu river & tried to make the yellow sea & disappeared in a cloud rom his wingman. 

Yes there is Gene in all forms and styles I don't know what it is but I got to keep my hands busy and it follows with a lot of us in that regards.I am trying to work on this for retirement if people are interested in this kind of stuff anymore it's all mortise/tenon only screws hold the top in play.Gene you got to be getting up there in your years if you were flying P-51's I asked a fella from Korea action and before I could get the words out he said"no never got to sit in a P-51" it sounded like something he wished had happen.

woodwork 001.JPG

woodwork 005.JPG

Edited by Javlin

Dadgum Javlin, that's some beautiful wood work you're doing there. Great job!

One of my old friends (RIP) made beautiful furniture. One day, I asked him if I could see his wood working shop, thinking I would see all kinds of fancy power tools. When he walked me back there and opened the door, I was shocked to see all he had were hand tools. Even things you would swear someone had turned on a lathe, he had carved and shaped by hand each individual piece. And the American history this man could tell you about was phenomenal. He was a walking, talking set of encyclopedias.

Thank You CDW for the kind words I say that piece is about 50/50 machine and hand tools I learned pretty much how to use and sharpen chisels I wish I could master my hand planers though.This piece I have 80-100 hrs involved in it and about $300-400 of wood I sometimes made a piece 3X to be just right if you look at the upper right above the door you see a double dove at the end of the stretcher.Thanks again for high fives and comments.:imNotWorthy: Kevin

you did a great job on the plane......great look'in collection too  ;)   the dresser looks really good too.   I used to work in a cabinet shop in Florida in my younger days......mainly prefab .....assembly line.  my best friend's mother used to run the vacuum form machine for the vanities......I used to router the fillers for her,  when I wasn't run'in all over the paint room filling in.  we did nothing like that though........some really nice work

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller
Phylly C & Denny-Zen - the Lobsie twins - bashed & semi scratch dual build

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Billing's Gothenborg 1:100 / Billing's Boulogne Etaples 1:20
Billing's Half Moon 1:40 - some scratch required
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400
Trawler Syborn - semi scratch / Holiday Harbor dual build - semi scratch

I graduated from high school with a kid who was flying F86E's over t he Yalu river & caught fire & tried to make the yellow sea & disappeared in a cloud rom his wingman. 

No Javlin , I wasn't flying P51's, I had a chance at cadets, but didn't take it. When I got out I went right into construction & spent 40 years designing & building. I am 89 in 2 days & still love to build models. I enjoyed the Air Force & met some really great WW2 pilots that stayed in.

5 minutes ago, gene1 said:

No Javlin , I wasn't flying P51's, I had a chance at cadets, but didn't take it. When I got out I went right into construction & spent 40 years designing & building. I am 89 in 2 days & still love to build models. I enjoyed the Air Force & met some really great WW2 pilots that stayed in.

I bet that's one of those you could have back?My son is in now he's in Misawa Japan he's moving up pretty quick went in E-3 because of JROTC now E-5 3 1/2 years later.Here's a clip I should of not really posted in another thread but the base has freestyle Fridays and they highlighted him theirs more of an interview somewhere in there system but can't find it.

1 hour ago, popeye the sailor said:

you did a great job on the plane......great look'in collection too  ;)   the dresser looks really good too.   I used to work in a cabinet shop in Florida in my younger days......mainly prefab .....assembly line.  my best friend's mother used to run the vacuum form machine for the vanities......I used to router the fillers for her,  when I wasn't run'in all over the paint room filling in.  we did nothing like that though........some really nice work

Thanks Denis it had it's own learning curve and removed some fears in the process. ;) Kevin

Javlin, I bet you are really proud of him. Fighter planes are really fun to be around. We went to the Titusville Fla. Warbirds show every year & it was great. We saw some really great flying of every kindof planes. Even a P 38 flew. We got to meet & talk to a lot of WW2 pilots, a bunch of Flying Tigers , including R T Smith who had 10 kills. We talked to George Gay, who had a book for sale & Gen. Boots Blesse 10 kills in Korea, even Gabreski was there.

I see you live in Biloxi, my brother in law, ages ago, was base commander there. 

Just now, Javlin said:

Gene my Father retired after 42 years in 1979 20 active (joined 37) and 22years Civil Service instructor at KAFB may of served under your Brother?:dontknow: Kevin

My brother served at Keesler with the hurricane hunters in the early 70's. Before that, the hurricane hunters were stationed out of Puerto Rico. As a teen, I enjoyed lots of time at Ft Bragg/Pope AFB, watching the Special Forces and Airborn practice their jumps. Waves of C-130's and hundreds or more paratroopers. During the early VietNam era.

Didja ever see a Herc do a combat assault landing. Almost looks like a fighter pitching out to land. They are only limited by the bank angles allowed, shallower than what a fighter would use. The newer C-130Js may be allowed steeper bank angles and higher G loading. Most big jets are limited to 2.5 G. Fighters are somewhere north of 8.5 G, although that's in combat maneuvering. Landing pattern G loads are in the range of what a Herc would pull.

Ken

Started: MS Bounty Longboat,

On Hold:  Heinkel USS Choctaw paper

Down the road: Shipyard HMC Alert 1/96 paper, Mamoli Constitution Cross, MS USN Picket Boat #1

Scratchbuild: Echo Cross Section

Member Nautical Research Guild

When my brother was stationed in France in the 60's, he literally brought hundreds of antique clocks back to the USA on C-130's, a few at a time. Back then, they would commonly bring their own personal cargo back to the states and I guess no one cared that they did. He would hunt all the little shops through the countryside towns and villages in Europe, buy broken antique clocks, then repair them to bring back stateside. I have a few of them in my house still.

Back in days of yore, one of my additional duties as a Phantom flyer was to pull Range Control Officer for a day, every so often. I'd spend the day at the range, controlling flights of fighters and helos. Strafing was always fun. The Marine helos came and parked/hovered at the foul line and blazed away with whatever they loaded up that day, usually 7.62 mm. Buzz saws at work.  Most fighters has 20mm cannon, so that was OK. Bigger buzz saws. The A-10s couldn't shoot at the regular targets; rip 'em to shreds. We had a supply of good old M113 APCs for them to shoot at. Lots of fire, smoke and noise. And they'd turn the APCs into Swiss cheese.

Ken

Started: MS Bounty Longboat,

On Hold:  Heinkel USS Choctaw paper

Down the road: Shipyard HMC Alert 1/96 paper, Mamoli Constitution Cross, MS USN Picket Boat #1

Scratchbuild: Echo Cross Section

Member Nautical Research Guild