Newbie from Arkansas

RustyNail123

Hi my name is Rusty and I’m new and green to the gills with wooden ship models. I’ve been a life long figure and plastic modeler but have always wanted to venture into this hobby. I hope to learn a lot here. Thanks for allowing me to join the forum. BTW...any suggestions for a kit for a first time builder would be appreciated ! 

Welcome! "First kit" depends in part on what interests you. Browse through the build logs or use the search function to find logs with the words "first build" in the title -- that will give you an idea of what other newbies are working on. Enjoy the search -- it's part of the fun!

Cheers!

Chris Coyle
Greer, South Carolina

When you have to shoot, shoot. Don't talk.
- Tuco

Current builds: Brigantine Phoenix, Hawker Hurricane

Welcome to MSW, Rusty.   Follow what Chris suggested and feel free to ask questions.  

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

Thank you very much. I will definitely do that. I mentioned to my wife I wanted to start trying to build a wooden ship model and well...she took that to heart and bought me the Artesania Latina Santa Maria kit 😲. I was like ummmm...wow, thanks! I also said to myself , must take baby steps first so I think I’ll need a more basic build lol. Thanks again!

Hello and welcome,  have fun!!

Current builds;

Henry Ramey Upcher 1:25

Providence whaleboat- 1:25     HMS Winchelsea 1764 1:48 

Completed:

HM Cutter Sherbourne- 1:64- finished    Triton cross section scratch- 1:60 - finished 

Non ship:  SBD-3 Dauntless 1:48 Hasegawa -FINISHED

Welcome!

My first plank on bulkhead kit, that I completed was the Artensania Latina Bounty Jolly Boat.

The first real ship kit that I completed was the Model Shipways Sultana.

Having said that, in my personal opinion, the nice thing about the Santa Maria (at least as depicted in that kit) is that the rigging doesn’t appear overly complicated and there’s very little ornamentation.  I don’t think it would be a bad first kit.  Just take your time and ask plenty of questions when you get in a bind.

Edited by GrandpaPhil

Building: 1:64 HMS Revenge (Victory Models plans)

1:64 Cat Esther (17th Century Dutch Merchant Ships)

On the building slip: 1:72 French Ironclad Magenta (original shipyard plans)

On hold: 1:98 Mantua HMS Victory (kit bash), 1:96 Shipyard HMS Mercury

Favorite finished builds:  1:60 Sampang Good Fortune (Amati plans), 1:200 Orel Ironclad Solferino, 1:72 Schooner Hannah (Hahn plans), 1:72 Privateer Prince de Neufchatel (Chapelle plans), Model Shipways Sultana, Heller La Reale, Encore USS Olympia

Goal: Become better than I was yesterday

"The hardest part is deciding to try." - me

Welcome rusty,  I have to agree  with phil  its quite a good starting kit,   Im sure most would agree  best action with it is to  think your way through it stage by stage, try dry fitting in stages  to get a feel for things, but most of all  ask as many questions  as you want  even if you think it sounds daft or  not important (we have all been there)   most of all  take your time and enjoy.

OC.

Current builds  

28mm  Battle of Waterloo   attack on La Haye Saint   Diorama.

1/700  HMS Hood   Flyhawk   with  PE, Resin  and Wood Decking.

Completed works.

Dragon 1/700 HMS Edinburgh type 42 batch 3 Destroyer plastic.

HMS Warspite Academy 1/350 plastic kit and wem parts.

HMS Trafalgar Airfix 1/350 submarine  plastic.

Black Pearl  1/72  Revell   with  pirate crew.

Revell  1/48  Mosquito  B IV

Eduard  1/48  Spitfire IX

ICM    1/48   Seafire Mk.III   Special Conversion

1/48  Kinetic  Sea Harrier  FRS1