Hello from Bucks

Hi All,

Just a quick intro as I am new to the site.

I have been a modeller all my life and was first introduced to ships through the book HMS Victory Classic ships and how to model them.

Using this I built the Airfix Victory adding all the details explained in the book and then went on to build the Mayflower from the second book in the series.

After this I bought the anatomy of Nelsons ships by Longridge and it planted a seed of desire to build model ships to the same standards that he had achieved.

Sadly, despite several other book purchases by Underhill etc I never really got started and then was led astray by women and life in general.

I have kept modelling in the form of RC aircraft but have always wanted to get back to wooden ships.

So, to cut a long story short I have realised that work has been taking up too much of my time and have therefore decided to retire next year and get back into modelling.

I am planning to start on the Alert from Vanguard Models as it seems to offer a bit of everything for the beginner and is the latest generation of kits from Chris Watton whose kits and posts I have been following for some years.

I have read through all the Sherbourne logs as it is a similar ship with logs from other beginners and have been following the Alert build log by Blue Ensign who is inspiring me to add extra detail.

I will no doubt be looking for assistance from all of the expert builders on the site and hope to put together a build log as I progress for the assistance of others

Christmas is approaching and I know what I will be buying myself.

Phill

Current Build: HM Cutter Alert 1777

Welcome to MSW.  Lots of inspiration here to help with just about any question you may come up with.

Dave

“You’ve just got to know your limitations”  Dirty Harry

Current Builds:  Modified MS 1/8” scale Phantom, and modified plastic/wood hybrid of Aurora 1:87 scale whaling bark Wanderer.

Past Builds: (Done & sold) 1/8” scale A.J. Fisher 2 mast schooner Challenge, 1/6” scale scratch built whaler Wanderer w/ plans & fittings from A.J. Fisher, and numerous plastic kits including 1/8” scale Revell U.S.S. Constitution (twice), Cutty Sark, and Mayflower.

(Done & in dry dock) Modified 1/8” scale Revell U.S.S. Constitution w/ wooden deck and masting [too close encounter w/conc. floor in move]

Hope to get to builds: MS 3/16” scale Pride of Baltimore II,  MS 1/2” scale pinky schooner Glad Tidings,  a scratch build 3/16” scale  Phantom, and a scratch build 3/16" scale Denis Sullivan.

Welcome, Phill! Looks like you have already found all, or at least most of, the resources you will need to make a good first go at this great hobby. I look forward to seeing your build log in the new year!

Chris Coyle
Greer, South Carolina

When you have to shoot, shoot. Don't talk.
- Tuco

Current builds: Brigantine Phoenix, Salmson 2, Speeljacht

Welcome!

Building: 1:64 HMS Revenge (Victory Models plans)

1:64 Cat Esther (17th Century Dutch Merchant Ships)

Favorite finished builds:  1:60 Sampang Good Fortune (Amati plans), 1:200 Orel Ironclad Solferino, 1:72 Schooner Hannah (Hahn plans), 1:72 Privateer Prince de Neufchatel (Chapelle plans), Model Shipways Sultana, Heller La Reale, Encore USS Olympia

Goal: Become better than I was yesterday

"The hardest part is deciding to try." - me

A warm welcome to MSW from Sussex. Do you have a warm place to work on your model?

🌻

STAY SAFE

A model shipwright and an amateur historian are heads & tails of the same coin

current builds:

HMS Berwick 1775, 1/192 scratchbuild; a Slade 74 in the Navy Board style

Mediator sloop, 1/48 - an 18th century transport scratchbuild 

French longboat - CAF - 1/48, on hold

Hi Phil,   Looking forward to seeing your  build log.

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

Greetings, and Welcome to MSW.

Regards, Patrick

Finished :  Soleil Royal Heller 1/100   Wasa Billing Boats   Bounty Revell 1/110 plastic (semi scratch)   Pelican / Golden Hind  1/45 scratch

Current build :  Mary Rose 1/50 scratch

Gallery Revell Bounty  Pelican/Golden hind 1/45 scratch

To do Prins Willem Corel, Le Tonnant Corel, Yacht d'Oro Corel, Thermopylae Sergal 

Shore leave,  non ship models build logs :  

ADGZ M35 funkwagen 1/72    Einhets Pkw. Kfz.2 and 4 1/72   Autoblinda AB40 1/72   122mm A-19 & 152mm ML-20 & 12.8cm Pak.44 {K8 1/2} 1/72   10.5cm Howitzer 16 on Mark. VI(e)  Centurion Mk.1 conversion   M29 Weasel 1/72     SAM6 1/72    T26 Finland  T26 TN 1/72  Autoprotetto S37 1/72     Opel Blitz buses 1/72  Boxer and MAN trucks 1/72   Hetzer38(t) Starr 1/72    

Si vis pacem, para bellum

Greetings Phil from Mike in Milton Keynes.

Previous Build: LA gun deck cross section.
Previous Build: Lancia Armata. Panart 1:16
Previous Build: HMS Pickle. Jotika Build.

HMS Triton cross section 1:32.

Shelved awaiting improved skills:

Chuck"s Cheerful.

Current build.

Tender Avos.

HM cutter Alert.

:

Thanks everyone for the warm welcome.

@bruce d I have a home office that I am planning to repurpose so I should only be in the garage for major cutting and sanding.

@Blue Ensign Having seen your log and the great work you have done on the cannon I have been holding off on my purchase of the kit until the resin guns are an option.

@mikeaidanh  Good to see that there is another member only 10 miles away as I am in Buckingham.

Edited by PhillH

Current Build: HM Cutter Alert 1777