Greetings from the Seattle area

Gerarddm

After many decades of not model making, have revived my interest and would like to build a POF of the Charles Davis 'Lexington' from The Built-Up Ship Model. If anybody knows where I can get a copy of Clyde Leavitt's plans for her, kindly let me know. 

I look forward to perusing this site and getting back up to speed. Time to get my old copy of Ship Modeler's Shop Notes out of storage!

Welcome!

Building: 1:64 HMS Revenge (Victory Models plans)

1:64 Cat Esther (17th Century Dutch Merchant Ships)

On the building slip: 1:72 French Ironclad Magenta (original shipyard plans)

On hold: 1:98 Mantua HMS Victory (kit bash), 1:96 Shipyard HMS Mercury

Favorite finished builds:  1:60 Sampang Good Fortune (Amati plans), 1:200 Orel Ironclad Solferino, 1:72 Schooner Hannah (Hahn plans), 1:72 Privateer Prince de Neufchatel (Chapelle plans), Model Shipways Sultana, Heller La Reale, Encore USS Olympia

Goal: Become better than I was yesterday

"The hardest part is deciding to try." - me

:sign:

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

There is also book that has plans and covers the building of the Lexington, Five Historic Ship Models from Plan to Model by Parker. The price on Amazon ranges from under ten to fifty or so. https://www.amazon.com/Five-Historic-Ships-Plan-Model/dp/0870332589/ref=sr_1_1?keywords=Five+Historic+Ship+Models+from+Plan+to+Model&qid=1575640294&sr=8-1

While you can't buy the plans at this last link, you can peek at them: https://www.worthpoint.com/worthopedia/vintage-model-ship-plans-brig-406188495

Good luck (and welcome!)

Edited by EricWilliamMarshall
oops

Welcome from an another PNW’er.   Live in Seattle region too.

:sign:

Regards, Patrick

Finished :  Soleil Royal Heller 1/100   Wasa Billing Boats   Bounty Revell 1/110 plastic (semi scratch)   Pelican / Golden Hind  1/45 scratch

Current build :  Mary Rose 1/50 scratch

Gallery Revell Bounty  Pelican/Golden hind 1/45 scratch

To do Prins Willem Corel, Le Tonnant Corel, Yacht d'Oro Corel, Thermopylae Sergal 

Shore leave,  non ship models build logs :  

ADGZ M35 funkwagen 1/72    Einhets Pkw. Kfz.2 and 4 1/72   Autoblinda AB40 1/72   122mm A-19 & 152mm ML-20 & 12.8cm Pak.44 {K8 1/2} 1/72   10.5cm Howitzer 16 on Mark. VI(e)  Centurion Mk.1 conversion   M29 Weasel 1/72     SAM6 1/72    T26 Finland  T26 TN 1/72  Autoprotetto S37 1/72     Opel Blitz buses 1/72  Boxer and MAN trucks 1/72   Hetzer38(t) Starr 1/72    

Si vis pacem, para bellum

Welcome to Model Ship World.  As you no doubt knew before coming on to the site, getting hold of the Leavitt plans for the Lexington isn't easy, but there are a couple more  paths to try before falling back on alternative projects.

In one of your posts you mention that the plans were published in Popular Mechanics.  Actually, it was Mechanix Illustrated.  The index for the NRG Journal (available on MSW's sister site) has a citation for Clyde Leavitt and the his plans for the Lexington:

Leavitt, Clyde M., author, model builder:

• model: LEXINGTON
    plans for LEXINGTON in Mechanix Illustrated, 5:158

If my math is right, Volume 5 of the NRG Journal is from 1960.  I don't have the NRG CD's of Volumes 1-40 of the Journal, but perhaps someone here on the forum will look up Volume 5 page 158.  If the item gives the issue(s) of Mechanix Illustrated that include the plans AND they're also from 1960, you should be in good shape.  www.backissues.com has all the Mechanix Illustrated for 1960 available for about $16 each.  1959 and earlier gets spotty.  The Austin Public Library also has Mechanix Illustrated 1960-84 available on microfilm and you may be able to access it from the Seattle area via the inter-library loan system.  The plans in the magazine will be reduced to fit their 7 1/2' x 10 1/2" format, but could be enlarged back to the scale you desire to work.

I see you've also been inquiring on the ModelShipBuilder site.  Back in November 2012, their member jml, John, stated that he had the plans available, but wasn't comfortable providing copies, being uncertain if they were now in the public domain.  So you may hear from him if he's still active over there.

I'm also here in the Seattle area (Lake Tapps).   If some of the alternatives suggested have caught your interest, I have copies of the Parker book and his plans for the Lexington (he developed his own plans, and comments on Davis'), Petraeus' book Modeling the "Irene", and Chapelle's plans for the Lynx.  I'd be happy to share any of them with you.  If you care to visit, send me a private message and we'll make arrangements.

Bill

12 hours ago, Gerarddm said:

Hi Bill-

Thanks for that very informative post. I am on south Whidbey Island, so getting on and off is a pain ( the ferry, aaargh ), but as this thing develops I will get in touch as needed; I have the Parker book coming. 

Best,

Gerard>

Ha.   Small world...  I grew up on South Whidbey, we probably know the same people.  Was just in Coupeville visiting my old man this past weekend.