1/35 UH-1H Huey By lmagna

Lou, you'd think you'd get a little leeway, since you're in a rehab mode. What a task master your Admiral is. :rolleyes:;) Gotta get your modeling gene spooled up, Kimosabe. Old Lone Ranger reference for all you kiddies out there in MSW-land.

Duck versus chicken? No way. Now, how about some nice goose! Just be careful for the birdshot.

Ken

Started: MS Bounty Longboat,

On Hold:  Heinkel USS Choctaw paper

Down the road: Shipyard HMC Alert 1/96 paper, Mamoli Constitution Cross, MS USN Picket Boat #1

Scratchbuild: Echo Cross Section

Member Nautical Research Guild

I don't think I have ever seen a goose for sale in the local markets around here, other than the Vodka and beer kinds. The only other geese would be those from local ponds and those migrating south this time of year. The migrating ones may be OK, but  I know what the local pond stay-at-homes eat and I doubt you want any of that in your dinner meat.

Lou

Build logs: Colonial sloop Providence 1/48th scale kit bashed from AL Independence

Currant builds:

Constructo Brigantine Sentinel (Union) (On hold)

Minicraft 1/350 Titanic (For the Admiral)

1/350 Heavy Cruiser USS Houston (Resin)

Currant research/scratchbuild:

Schooner USS Lanikai/Hermes

Non ship build log:

1/35th UH-1H Huey

We had some Canadian geese from some Pennsy marshes. Been too many years to remember what it tasted like. I don't think it was as greasy as duck, tho.

Ken

Down the road: Shipyard HMC Alert 1/96 paper, Mamoli Constitution Cross, MS USN Picket Boat #1

I remember eating duck that My father shot as a kid and to be honest I have no memory of how it tasted. I think I have eaten it twice in Chinese restaurants and don't remember it being greasy. But then I could not describe the taste either. I do know that no one at the table ate the head and beak that they included with the dish.

What is it they call a duck inside a chicken inside a turkey? Never had one of those either.

Lou

Build logs: Colonial sloop Providence 1/48th scale kit bashed from AL Independence

Currant builds:

Non ship build log:

1/35th UH-1H Huey

So, for a few years of my young adult life, I drove truck, for a construction company, and we traveled around the region. One day, a duck flew up in front of me and hit my windshield. Didn’t break it, fortunately. I looked in the side view mirrors but never saw it land. 

A couple miles later, I saw something flickering in and out of view out the passenger window. Looking over, it was the wing of a duck flapping in and out. So, I stopped. The duck had become lodged between the cab and the external sun visor. Obviously, it had gone on to better things, but was very much intact. So, at my truck, on the side of the road, I breasted it, threw the meat in the cooler, took it home, and cooked it up. It was pretty good, considering the circumstances. 

Current Build:

USS Tinosa (SSN 606) Fast Attack Submarine - Scratchbuild

Now THAT is shopping on the run! Won't call it roadkill as it was never actually run over.

Lou

Currant builds:

Non ship build log:

1/35th UH-1H Huey

I once  ate  a duckdo.

OC.

Current builds  

28mm  Battle of Waterloo   attack on La Haye Saint   Diorama.

1/700  HMS Hood   Flyhawk   with  PE, Resin  and Wood Decking.

Completed works.

Dragon 1/700 HMS Edinburgh type 42 batch 3 Destroyer plastic.

HMS Warspite Academy 1/350 plastic kit and wem parts.

HMS Trafalgar Airfix 1/350 submarine  plastic.

Black Pearl  1/72  Revell   with  pirate crew.

Revell  1/48  Mosquito  B IV

Eduard  1/48  Spitfire IX

ICM    1/48   Seafire Mk.III   Special Conversion

1/48  Kinetic  Sea Harrier  FRS1

32 minutes ago, Old Collingwood said:

duckdo.

????????????????? You got me on that  one OC.

I have seen duck do, I have stepped in Duck do, but I have never eaten it.

Lou

Currant builds:

Non ship build log:

1/35th UH-1H Huey

21 minutes ago, lmagna said:

????????????????? You got me on that  one OC.

I have seen duck do, I have stepped in Duck do, but I have never eaten it.

Its an old joke Lou   -  "You ever seen a Duckdo"   -    "whats a Duckdo"    -    "Quack"

Ok  - I'll get my coat........🙃

OC.

Current builds  

Completed works.

2 hours ago, Old Collingwood said:

"You ever seen a Duckdo"   -    "whats a Duckdo"    -    "Quack"

Waaaht, Waaaht, waaaht.....  Usually before they overfly your car windshield....

Current Build: F-86F-30 Sabre by Egilman - Kinetic - 1/32nd scale

In the Garage: East Bound & Down, Building a Smokey & the Bandit Kenworth Rig in 1/25th scale

Completed: M8A1 HST  1930 Packard Boattail Speedster  M1A1 75mm Pack Howitzer  F-4J Phantom II Bell H-13's P-51B/C

Temporary Suspension: USS Gwin DD-433  F-104C Starfighter "Blue Jay Four" 1/32nd Scale

Terminated Build: F-104C Starfighter

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Quote:

"Relish Today, Ketchup Tomorrow"

We're sinking deep. :rolleyes:

Lou, that concoction of yours is called a turducken. I think it was dreamed up by some Cajun chef, but I could be all wet on the origins.

Ken

From Wiki

Turducken is a dish consisting of a deboned chicken stuffed into a deboned duck, further stuffed into a deboned turkey. Outside of the United States and Canada, it is known as a three bird roast.[citation needed] Gooducken is a traditional English variant,[1] replacing turkey with goose.

300px-Turducken_easter06.jpg
30 lb. roasted turducken
300px-Turducken_quartered_cross-section.
Sausage-stuffed turducken cut into quarters to show the internal layers

The word turducken is a portmanteau of turkey, duck, and chicken. The dish is a form of engastration, which is a recipe method in which one animal is stuffed inside the gastric passage of another; twofold in this instance.[2]

The thoracic cavity of the chicken/game hen and the rest of the gaps are stuffed, sometimes with a highly seasoned breadcrumb mixture or sausage meat, although some versions have a different stuffing for each bird. The result is a fairly solid layered poultry dish, suitable for cooking by braising, roasting, grilling, or barbecuing.[3]

The turducken was popularized in America by John Madden, who evangelized about the unusual dish during NFL Thanksgiving Day games and, later, Monday Night Football broadcasts.[4] On one occasion, the commentator sawed through a turducken with his bare hand, live in the booth, to demonstrate the turducken's contents.[5]

Thanks Jack

I knew it was something like that but for some reason could not remember.

Lou

Currant builds:

Non ship build log:

1/35th UH-1H Huey

Hmm I'm outta the room for a few hours and dinner gets served, ate  and gone before I get there. I never really liked duck but pheasant is particularly good, just got to mind your teeth on the buckshot. 😁

Edited by Edwardkenway

Current builds;

Henry Ramey Upcher 1:25

Providence whaleboat- 1:25     HMS Winchelsea 1764 1:48 

Completed:

HM Cutter Sherbourne- 1:64- finished    Triton cross section scratch- 1:60 - finished 

Non ship:  SBD-3 Dauntless 1:48 Hasegawa -FINISHED

8 minutes ago, Edwardkenway said:

dinner gets served, ate

If you can call Duck and/or Goose dinner 😝  Chicken and Turkey okay but not together. Don't know about Pheasent. Are English and American breeds the same?  Like the mute swans that the "landed gentree" imported from England and Europe to grace the ponds of their estates, and which drove the American swans out, at least in Hudson Valley anyway. A few years back I counted 75 of those swans wintering in the cove by our lighthouse. 

I'm not sure about the swans but the pheasants look similar 60970BF1-BC1D-4526-B77E8199B372A520_source.thumb.jpg.7f1a68d2b49bc9b1c913faf61436ad71.jpg

American above European below3523.jpg.de8d63455e9e2af607a04c226d7afbee.jpg

I'm pretty sure both are common pheasants, darker meat than chicken and a bit more flavour, a bricklayer I worked with whe I first started  work gave me two of them ready for the oven, he used to go shooting every weekend with his two Weimaraner gun dogs. Had a few more off him but had to pluck and gut them myself. 😬

Edited by Edwardkenway

Current builds;

Completed:

HM Cutter Sherbourne- 1:64- finished    Triton cross section scratch- 1:60 - finished 

The mute swan (Cygnus olor) is a species of swan and a member of the waterfowl family Anatidae. It is native to much of Eurosiberia, and (as a rare winter visitor) the far north of Africa. It is an introduced species in North America – home to the largest populations outside of its native range – with additional smaller introductions in Australasia and southern Africa. The name 'mute' derives from it being less vocal than other swan species.[2][3][4] Measuring 125 to 170 cm (49 to 67 in) in length, this large swan is wholly white in plumage with an orange beak bordered with black. It is recognisable by its pronounced knob atop the beak, which is larger in males.

Mute_swan_Vrhnika.thumb.jpg.302694765d09f57a6cb14c9410fd5bac.jpg

The trumpeter swan (Cygnus buccinator) is a species of swan found in North America. The heaviest living bird native to North America, it is also the largest extant species of waterfowl, with a wingspan of 185 to 250 cm (6 ft 2 in to 8 ft 2 in).[2] It is the American counterpart and a close relative of the whooper swan (Cygnus cygnus) of Eurasia, and even has been considered the same species by some authorities.[3] By 1933, fewer than 70 wild trumpeters were known to exist, and extinction seemed imminent, until aerial surveys discovered a Pacific population of several thousand trumpeters around Alaska's Copper River.[4] Careful reintroductions by wildlife agencies and the Trumpeter Swan Society gradually restored the North American wild population to over 46,000 birds by 2010.

220px-Tumpeter1byWoodigo.jpeg.jpg.21a69111540a68b7a76c8ebda562e594.jpg

Those pheasants look like different species from the pictures.   Our mute swans are now considered "invasive",  even tho they are beautiful looking birds up close. 

That is another bird I have never eaten. I went with a guy once for a day of Pheasant hunting but he didn't hit anything. They are fast birds and seem to know how to fly just high enough to clear the ground and still avoid being shot. A lot of walking in the fields without much results.

Lou

Currant builds:

Non ship build log:

1/35th UH-1H Huey

Even the Ring-Necked pheasant of North America isn't a native species.  It was introduced from East Asia.  Its South Dakotas state bird, apparently 1 of 3 state birds to not be native to the US.

Current Build:

USS Tinosa (SSN 606) Fast Attack Submarine - Scratchbuild

Now I don't think I have ever seen trumpeter swan here in the UK but I could be wrong, I do agree that they are beautiful birds, I do know it is a criminal offence to capture and eat swans over here as they all enjoy Royal protection. 

A little  googling found this on pheasants in the USA 

"The Chinese Ringnecked Pheasant, known for its colorful plumage and outstanding taste, was released in the United States in Oregon in 1881."

So I think the top photo in my earlier post is probably a ringnecked pheasant. But still very tasty😋

Current builds;

Completed:

6 minutes ago, lmagna said:

That is another bird I have never eaten.

I thought you meant swan for a moment, although in the medieval age in England they often found their way into the table for a royal banquet 

Current builds;

Completed:

5 minutes ago, CW_Tom said:

Even the Ring-Necked pheasant of North America isn't a native species.  It was introduced from East Asia.  Its South Dakotas state bird, apparently 1 of 3 state birds to not be native to the US.

You got there before me Tom 😉 apparently the blacknecked pheasant  didn't like being taken over there in the latter 1700s and  didn't thrive or survive

Edited by Edwardkenway

Current builds;

Completed:

20 minutes ago, lmagna said:

They are fast birds and seem to know how to fly just high enough to clear the ground and still avoid being shot.

They're not so clever when it comes to traffic😁 with the amount we see in the gutter of the roads round us.

Edited by Edwardkenway

Current builds;

Completed:

I used to know a  Pheasant Plucker  - he was a really nice guy.

OC.

Current builds  

Completed works.

1 hour ago, Edwardkenway said:

I thought you meant swan for a moment

No, but I have never eaten one of them either. In fact the only time I ever saw Swan meat available was in a gourmet meat store we used to have locally. They sold game meat almost exclusively. I don't think they are raised domestically like Turkeys or Geese for food but I could be wrong.

By the way the owner of the store said Swan was excellent eating, much better than Goose or Turkey in his opinion. But then he was charging a fortune for the meat so he may have been pushing the envelope a little. He also had Ostrich meat that was much more affordable. He said it tasted like Filet Mignon not bird.:stunned:

Lou

Currant builds:

Non ship build log:

1/35th UH-1H Huey

1 hour ago, Edwardkenway said:

They're not so clever when it comes to traffic

That seems true of many animals who travel primarily on the ground. They have no traffic sense. For us locally it is Squirrels and Possums, with an occasional Seagull who just is too stupid to leave the meal he has found in the middle of the road thrown in!

Lou

Currant builds:

Non ship build log:

1/35th UH-1H Huey

Can't add much this round of carnage... LOL...   but to get kids to eat duck, goose, pheasant or other sundry fowl, use the oldest method in the book... lie.   Tell them it's chicken.    I had a friend who got her kits to eat liver by telling them it was meatloaf.  

Sometimes you can fool the young ones and sometimes they fool you.

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

I've been told that ostrich is more like steak than bird also, I'll have to take their word for it as I've never had it.

Current builds;

Completed: