1/35 UH-1H Huey By lmagna

lmagna

39 minutes ago, lmagna said:

I had forgotten about Bat 21. THAT was what a war movie should be.

Great movie except for one thing.....  The premise is correct Lt Col. Iceal Hambleton's epic story of rescue from behind the lines after his EB-66 is shot down just prior to Linebacker two.....

Other than that, it's ALL hollywood, complete fiction..... 

Gene Hackman gives an incredible performance and its a very good movie other than that....

I've read the book.... and before you see the movie, you should read the book....

Current Build: F-86F-30 Sabre by Egilman - Kinetic - 1/32nd scale

In the Garage: East Bound & Down, Building a Smokey & the Bandit Kenworth Rig in 1/25th scale

Completed: M8A1 HST  1930 Packard Boattail Speedster  M1A1 75mm Pack Howitzer  F-4J Phantom II Bell H-13's P-51B/C

Temporary Suspension: USS Gwin DD-433  F-104C Starfighter "Blue Jay Four" 1/32nd Scale

Terminated Build: F-104C Starfighter

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Quote:

"Relish Today, Ketchup Tomorrow"

I saw the movie quite sometime ago and wasn't aware there was a book.  I was aware there were "errors" and "dramatic liberty" (as Hollywood says) taken.  

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

I think I read somewhere that it was a complying of a number of separate rescues performed in Vietnam and of course Hollywood "Interpretation". I can live with that and still enjoy the movie for what it is. At least it didn't have the typical Hollywood agenda regarding Vietnam and vets so prevalent at the time. I am almost certain that guys who spent their time on the ground were much more critical.

Lou

Build logs: Colonial sloop Providence 1/48th scale kit bashed from AL Independence

Currant builds:

Constructo Brigantine Sentinel (Union) (On hold)

Minicraft 1/350 Titanic (For the Admiral)

1/350 Heavy Cruiser USS Houston (Resin)

Currant research/scratchbuild:

Schooner USS Lanikai/Hermes

Non ship build log:

1/35th UH-1H Huey

My fave  war time films are  Tora Tora Tora   and Empire of the Sun.

OC.

Current builds  

28mm  Battle of Waterloo   attack on La Haye Saint   Diorama.

1/700  HMS Hood   Flyhawk   with  PE, Resin  and Wood Decking.

Completed works.

Dragon 1/700 HMS Edinburgh type 42 batch 3 Destroyer plastic.

HMS Warspite Academy 1/350 plastic kit and wem parts.

HMS Trafalgar Airfix 1/350 submarine  plastic.

Black Pearl  1/72  Revell   with  pirate crew.

Revell  1/48  Mosquito  B IV

Eduard  1/48  Spitfire IX

ICM    1/48   Seafire Mk.III   Special Conversion

1/48  Kinetic  Sea Harrier  FRS1

1 hour ago, lmagna said:

I think I read somewhere that it was a complying of a number of separate rescues performed in Vietnam and of course Hollywood "Interpretation".

Yeah the book has a bit of that too, but it's a lot more accurate....

Bat-21 Bravo

Well worth the read....

In the Garage: East Bound & Down, Building a Smokey & the Bandit Kenworth Rig in 1/25th scale

Completed: M8A1 HST  1930 Packard Boattail Speedster  M1A1 75mm Pack Howitzer  F-4J Phantom II Bell H-13's P-51B/C

Temporary Suspension: USS Gwin DD-433  F-104C Starfighter "Blue Jay Four" 1/32nd Scale

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Quote:

I got bat 21 and the blue max as a two pack......was hunting everywhere for both of them.   lot of super movies mentioned here :) 

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller
Phylly C & Denny-Zen - the Lobsie twins - bashed & semi scratch dual build

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Billing's Gothenborg 1:100 / Billing's Boulogne Etaples 1:20
Billing's Half Moon 1:40 - some scratch required
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400
Trawler Syborn - semi scratch / Holiday Harbor dual build - semi scratch

13 hours ago, Old Collingwood said:

My fave  war time films are  Tora Tora Tora   and Empire of the Sun.

OC.

Both Very good movies OC... but my all time favorite, Patton (GC Scott's best performance) closely followed by the Caine Mutiny (one of Bogart's best) and Mr Roberts (Henry Fonda's best in my opinion and Cagney's last great performance, I'm also going to scratch build "The Bucket" eventually) There are quite a few more also...

Quote:

7 minutes ago, Egilman said:

I'm also going to scratch build "The Bucket" eventually)

You could use the Shell Welder Coastal Tanker,  https://www.ebay.com/itm/Modelcraft-1-130-Shell-Welder-Coastal-Tanker-Factory-Sealed/193444749846?hash=item2d0a34a216:g:ZKMAAOSw5eReqzG6  as a basis and bash it into a AKL Coastal Cargo ship.

Lou

Build logs: Colonial sloop Providence 1/48th scale kit bashed from AL Independence

Currant builds:

Non ship build log:

1/35th UH-1H Huey

14 minutes ago, lmagna said:

You could use the Shell Welder Coastal Tanker,  https://www.ebay.com/itm/Modelcraft-1-130-Shell-Welder-Coastal-Tanker-Factory-Sealed/193444749846?hash=item2d0a34a216:g:ZKMAAOSw5eReqzG6  as a basis and bash it into a AKL Coastal Cargo ship.

I thought about doing exactly that my friend, I also have a BoGP for the AKL in the exact same class... (not cleaned and accurized yet)

Looking at the kit over on the Model warships.com forum it can be built into a beautiful model but for my purposes everything above the hull coaming/bulwarks would have to be scratched.... but the hull appears to be close.....

Edited by Egilman

Quote:

19 minutes ago, Egilman said:

I also have a BoGP for the AKL in the exact same class... (not cleaned and accurized yet)

???????????????????????????????????

This is the ship used for the movie: http://www.navsource.org/archives/09/49/49145.htm

Edited by lmagna

Lou

Currant builds:

Non ship build log:

1/35th UH-1H Huey

22 minutes ago, lmagna said:

???????????????????????????????????

This is the ship used for the movie: http://www.navsource.org/archives/09/49/49145.htm

Yep the USS Hewell, USAT FS-391, AG-145 (1948 - 1949) then finally AKL-14. she was a Camano-class cargo ship

Started life as a US Army Transport then was taken over by the US Navy during the Korean War. they made some modification to her for the movie, the whole "Bridgework" was temporary framing to build a semi stage so the characters could interact in the open which was much easier to film.... The Movie was primarily filmed both off Midway and at anchor there and at Kaneohe Bay, Hawaii. (the Elysium scenes)

I've always wanted to do that ship...... 

Oh Yes, BoGP.....  Booklet of General Plans..... (every ship in the US Navy has one which is updated by the bureau of ships every time it has a yard availability for maintenance)

Edited by Egilman

Quote:

So the meaning of "BoGP"? You need to remember I am a member in good standing of the Cro Magnon era and don't use a cell phone for texting so some of these acronyms evade me.

Edited by lmagna

Lou

Currant builds:

Non ship build log:

1/35th UH-1H Huey

17 minutes ago, lmagna said:

So the meaning of "BoGP"? You need to remember I am a member in good standing of the Cro Magnon era and don't use a cell phone for texting so some of these acronyms evade me.

22 minutes ago, Egilman said:

Oh Yes, BoGP.....  Booklet of General Plans.....

Quote:

17 minutes ago, Egilman said:

and don't use a cell phone for texting so some of these acronyms evade me.

I hear ya brother, I don't even own one....

Quote:

1 hour ago, lmagna said:

don't use a cell phone for texting

1 hour ago, Egilman said:

I hear ya brother, I don't even own one..

I have a portable calling device that just fits in my pocket, but it is dumber than a bag of rocks. I have to either select from prestored numbers or type the number I want to call, then listen for one ringee dingee, two ringee dingee, three ringee dingee, then Hello !  The offspring complain they cannot reach me on it because it is never on till I need to use it, which is about once in a pink moon. 😁😁😁😁😁😎😎😎😎😎🙄🙄🙄🙄🙄

3 hours ago, Egilman said:

Both Very good movies OC... but my all time favorite, Patton (GC Scott's best performance) closely followed by the Caine Mutiny (one of Bogart's best) and Mr Roberts (Henry Fonda's best in my opinion and Cagney's last great performance, I'm also going to scratch build "The Bucket" eventually) There are quite a few more also...

I forgot about those movies.  Classics.

Mark

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

1 hour ago, Jack12477 said:

it is never on till I need to use it, which is about once in a pink moon

I'm with you Jack. Mine has been sitting here on my table not even turned on for weeks at this point now that the kids have been home from school and not allowed to go anywhere. I keep meaning to plug it in and charge it but never seem to get around to doing it. I spend $10 every three months for 3.3 hours of time and I have something like 9.25 hours of accumulated unused time right now! 

Lou

Currant builds:

Non ship build log:

1/35th UH-1H Huey

Is that a brand or a style Ken?

Lou

Currant builds:

Non ship build log:

1/35th UH-1H Huey

Style, Lou. An Android. You know how techy aviators can be. I always scoffed the fancy phones, until I really started using them.

Ken

Started: MS Bounty Longboat,

On Hold:  Heinkel USS Choctaw paper

Down the road: Shipyard HMC Alert 1/96 paper, Mamoli Constitution Cross, MS USN Picket Boat #1

Scratchbuild: Echo Cross Section

Member Nautical Research Guild

I  have a modern phone  it calls in Black and White.

OC.

Current builds  

Completed works.

I have much the same. It's called a "Smart" phone but 99% of the features I don't bother with. I only have one car that it will link to for hands free talking while driving and as I said before I don't do texting. My fingers are too fat and I keep hitting the wrong keys. I have used the camera a couple of times and I linked it to a quadcopter that I bought for my youngest and occasionally pretend to be teaching him how to fly.:D

Yes I do remember about aviators. Back in the day EVERYONE had to have a huge multi function/expensive Seiko watch that told you the time back in the world as well as where you were. Had  a stop watch, split timer, and probably twenty five other functions that you never used. I still wear a watch like that and still just pretty much just use it to tell time!  

Don't you mean color OC? Black and white is so old school.

Lou

Currant builds:

Non ship build log:

1/35th UH-1H Huey

Hmm... I'm still using my old Samsung flip phone from work.  They told me keep it... so I did.  No bells, no whistles, no chat, no nothing except telephone calls.   I realize that even though I'm ex-techie, I'm a luddite which might explain why I became a luddite.

Mark

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:

47 minutes ago, lmagna said:

I have much the same. It's called a "Smart" phone but 99% of the features I don't bother with. I only have one car that it will link to for hands free talking while driving and as I said before I don't do texting. My fingers are too fat and I keep hitting the wrong keys. I have used the camera a couple of times and I linked it to a quadcopter that I bought for my youngest and occasionally pretend to be teaching him how to fly.:D

Yes I do remember about aviators. Back in the day EVERYONE had to have a huge multi function/expensive Seiko watch that told you the time back in the world as well as where you were. Had  a stop watch, split timer, and probably twenty five other functions that you never used. I still wear a watch like that and still just pretty much just use it to tell time!  

Don't you mean color OC? Black and white is so old school.

Yep  Black and White Lou, my phone is that old   lol,   nah suppose it aint  just dont do "keep up with the croud type thing".

OC.

Current builds  

Completed works.

All great movies Roger, even though I always wished the ending of the Sand Pebbles had been happier. I once did some research on the San Pablo and at one time I had a somewhat crude set of plans around here to build her. What would you call a build of a fictitious ship that really existed? 

After what was a full life and active life for a movie prop, like many other historic ships, the San Pablo also ended quietly and without fanfare.

http://www.thesandpebbles.com/san_pablo/demise_sanpablo.html

Edited by lmagna

Lou

Currant builds:

Non ship build log:

1/35th UH-1H Huey

I remember watching the TV debut of the black and white 1958 film Run Silent, Run Deep with the whole family. (A rare occurrence!)  It starred Clark Gable, Burt Lancaster and believe it or not Don Rickles as the Quartermaster.  Of course there was also Das Boot

Dave

“You’ve just got to know your limitations”  Dirty Harry

Current Builds:  Modified MS 1/8” scale Phantom, and modified plastic/wood hybrid of Aurora 1:87 scale whaling bark Wanderer.

Past Builds: (Done & sold) 1/8” scale A.J. Fisher 2 mast schooner Challenge, 1/6” scale scratch built whaler Wanderer w/ plans & fittings from A.J. Fisher, and numerous plastic kits including 1/8” scale Revell U.S.S. Constitution (twice), Cutty Sark, and Mayflower.

(Done & in dry dock) Modified 1/8” scale Revell U.S.S. Constitution w/ wooden deck and masting [too close encounter w/conc. floor in move]

Hope to get to builds: MS 3/16” scale Pride of Baltimore II,  MS 1/2” scale pinky schooner Glad Tidings,  a scratch build 3/16” scale  Phantom, and a scratch build 3/16" scale Denis Sullivan.

Of course I HAD to watch Run Silent Run Deep back in the day. I had read the book by Robert L. Beach when younger and even today it holds it's own as a classic. Great book good movie. I liked Das Boot for different reasons. I think in many ways it was possibly more realistic than Run Silent Run Deep even though they are both based on real accounts of submarine warfare in WWII, and had advisors who were actually there.

Lou

Currant builds:

Non ship build log:

1/35th UH-1H Huey

Look up "Clear the Bridge" by LtCdr Richard O'Kane. It's about USS Tang. And look ups any books about USS Wahoo and Cdr Mush Morton.  Real life action in West Pac in WW II.

Ned Beach wrote a lot of good books about WW sub warfare.

Ken

Started: MS Bounty Longboat,

On Hold:  Heinkel USS Choctaw paper

Down the road: Shipyard HMC Alert 1/96 paper, Mamoli Constitution Cross, MS USN Picket Boat #1

Scratchbuild: Echo Cross Section

Member Nautical Research Guild

15 minutes ago, Canute said:

Ned Beach wrote a lot of good books about WW sub warfare.

I think I read most of them!:D Morton and Kane in the Wahoo and Tang were legends in their own time. I can't even remember what all the books have been that either referenced their actions or were about them totally. I have read "Clear The Bridge" even though I was familiar with Dick O'Kane's record both on Wahoo and Tang. it was one of my more recent reads.

Lou

Currant builds:

Non ship build log:

1/35th UH-1H Huey