HMS Bounty’s Jolly Boat by Jonny 007 - FINISHED - Artesania Latina - Scale 1:25 - SMALL - First wooden ship build

PROLOGUE

As this is my first ship build log, I thought I would do a bit of a preamble before we get into the build.

For those just wanting to jump straight to the cool stuff, please feel free to skip the following monologue.

As per my introduction, I am a returning member to the forum after the big crash.

I have been building plastic model kits since I was a kid and spent a lot of time (while living in the UK) painting Games Workshop figures and have won several best painted army awards.

I grew up on Auckland’s North Shore (NZ) and have always loved the ocean. Auckland is known as the ‘City of Sails’ so it was only natural that I was going to love ships. As a kid I remember lovingly gazing upon two of Auckland’s Tall Ships. The Spirit of New Zealand and the Spirit of Adventure.

I have also been a surfer since age 10, so have 30+ years of ocean love.

So why wooden ship models now?

Well, I have always dreamed of building one. You know, that looked exactly like the ones in the museum. 

My first attempt was the Del Prado ‘Build the Bounty’ magazine subscription. This was a weekly magazine that promised that even a total amateur could build a museum class wooden ship model.

Back then there was no real internet or forums so I was on my own. I was doing okay but before I got to the planking stage I realised that it was not quite as easy as I thought it was going to be. So I put it aside and moved to the UK.

I still have the model, and once I have the skills I fully intend to finish it.

Next up I’m living in the UK and getting familiar with Internet forums. And found this one.

I did a build log for my R/C conversation of the Revell HMCS Snowberry kit. A 1/72 scale Corvette, complete with plenty of weathering.

I also put up a build log for several R/C model yachts that I built.

But wooden model ships was still my dream.

So armed with plenty of enthusiasm and grand ideas, I went looking for a beginners model that would also fit with my enthusiasm. I settled on a Sergal HMS President model. However, it was an early version and wasn’t CNC’d.

Which meant I had to use a friends electric fret saw to cut out all the parts. Needless to say this was tedious.

At this point I should point out that I am a carpenter by trade and know a thing or two about tools and wood.

I started a build log on here and got to the stage of completing the second planking but soon realised that the kit was not not great and the details were very poor. A serious amount of ‘kit bashing’ would be required before the model would look anything like a frigate. So that was wooden model ship attempt number two, and not finished.

The best advice consistently given on here is start with something simple. Start simple, build up your skills and work up to building the Victory!

PRESENT DAY

So I’m back in NZ and it’s time to get serious about building a wooden ship model. I decided to buy something that was relatively simple to build, but more importantly, something I was likely to finish.

So I decided on the Bounty’s Jolly Boat. The following build log will not be comprehensive as I don’t think my skills will add anything to the already fantastic models already on here.

By completing a Boat, and finishing a build log I’m hoping my experience might help other newbies with this kit.

But most importantly give me the skills to help with my next kit (which I have already purchased).

I plan to build several kits that will gradually increase my skills so that one day, I will be able to build a decent frigate model.

But for now, it’s time to finish my little Jolly Boat.

Edited by Jonny 007

BUILD PLAN

After looking at several other build logs on here for the same kit, it’s very tempting to let my enthusiasm over take my actual abilities.

So I have decided to build this model exactly as the kit. Once it is complete, I may add some extra rigging detail.

But for now, this will be as per the instructions.

THE KIT

The model comes with one scale plan drawing that has scale details on the other side. It also comes with a colour booklet with step by step instructions. This is a single plank on bulk head model.

That means there is no second planking to cover the sins of the first layer. So great care will be needed if this kits isn’t going to be painted.

At this point I am going to say that you will need some kind of modelling experience in order to be able to build this kit. The instructions aren’t that clear, and the single planking as per the kit leaves a bit to be desired.

The good news is, if you are reading this build log, you are in the right place. And you will receive all the help you will ever need.

Here is the mandatory kit unboxing pictures.

A2DB33E3-9677-4A6A-AFFE-3D63663FE65E.thumb.jpeg.3b5c7f055684b84df74f3936eaf2445d.jpeg

8E1E179B-CCD1-4DA7-9984-3FA37FC33ED1.thumb.jpeg.9512afc69d2034267fbb7197f036ccff.jpeg

First up is mounting the bulk heads on the false keel.

6BBDD7F3-D32D-4F08-B55E-C73F7BC62551.thumb.jpeg.8061dc91548c22e1a8f29427b4ac6917.jpeg

Only one bulkhead sat a little high. I made the decision to file it down. This meant the bit the fitted on top of it sat at an angle when fixed in place. In hindsight it could have been left sitting flat? No biggie.

02BC25A6-D501-4525-8791-E0BDADF22B45.thumb.jpeg.f81ef9da5ea2f21cb97c541cddb76c62.jpeg

There is also no mention in the instructions about carving a rabbet. This is a detail that will become an issue later when fitting the rudder.

I wanted to give the planks a bit of a pre-bend before fitting. I tried doing it directly on the model, but could only do one at a time. This was fine for the garboard plank (not a true garboard BTW) but later planks just needed a good soaking and a lite bend. I was going to build a gig but instead I got a bit creative.

DF297F0F-C7B0-4D40-86EA-6E7D897347C5.thumb.jpeg.bbc2a1316b29a554c53c4a0e1b098436.jpeg

It actually worked really well haha!

Lessons learnt:

Although pre bending the planks helped, the first few I put on I didn’t use a plank bender. My rationale was that it would be seen. The reality is that the parts that needed the plank bender we actually hidden.

Later in the planking stage I used a plank bender and it made a real difference to the ease of installing the planks around the bow.

I intend to paint the model anyway, so some sanding and some filler should fix a couple of my boo boos.

A criticism I have with the kit is that the CNC’d pre faired planks are thicker than the supplied planking strips.

Its hard to see in the following picture but is kind of visible on the other side. This made them a bit harder to get to site right and will result in a lot of extra sanding.

CA70329D-8A3F-4E35-953A-F387BB3779C4.thumb.jpeg.8fd8818b617e1bf55e68f8485bc9b3f8.jpeg

This photo shows the early stages of the single planking. I really struggled (as mentioned earlier) with getting the planks to stay in place so nailed some of them in place. Will file and fill these and cover them in paint.

There is also a couple of planks I am not happy with but didn’t want to replace them until I knew I had enough spare planks. It seems there is so I will change out the one that broke due to not using the plank bender.

I got the idea for the bull dog clip from another build log on here. Worked well!

You may also notice in my plastic box of parts an anchor. This did not come with the kit but will add a nice detail later on. It’s probably not to scale or even the correct one for the boat. But only the people on here will know!

While I have been working on the planking I have been working on some of the other bits for the model.

I filled the bucket with Polyvinyl Acetate and then painted some blue ink on the top to simulate water. Because I can. The barrel is an after market thing I bought to add a bit of extra detail. Again, it’s probably (almost definitely) out of scale but I won’t tell if you don’t!

Lessons learnt: 

I probably should have used a sanding filler on the oars before painting them to help remove some of the ‘fur’. I may still do this in the future. But I also want this kit to be a true representation of my skills at the time of building. So I can compare it with future builds.

I will certainly look at a sanding filler (or similar) before painting the hull.

EC66A5FC-C929-4960-BFB2-03300323C4AA.thumb.jpeg.5ce808779d238ebeabfbdafb556d8489.jpeg

Edited by Jonny 007

I have two more planks to go on the port side before doing the stealers. That will be the main part of the planking finished, minus filling and sanding. These will be fitted this evening.

I have built it exactly as the plans/instructions. Although the instructions are quite vague things seem to have lined up as they should. There or there about. I have really enjoyed the build process so far.

AE6339D5-8B2E-43DA-A87D-FECAA7D9EF9B.thumb.jpeg.922a494ccd7447123ea8a88ca270fa4f.jpeg

I also followed the instructions when it came to doing some of the interior details.

082B767B-EF5D-4A99-8F5D-F5A949918F1E.thumb.jpeg.b7aa3085c1bd2d98a5db4d83e83c0922.jpeg

Planking done. Some minor trimming required now and a decision to make about replacing planks that I’m not happy with. Then sand.

A quick picture of my planking effort compared to the instructions.

FAB34508-A6A9-472E-A9E9-CDEE7A085EBE.thumb.jpeg.b461a9e8e6c725914f8eac736498f733.jpeg

Hi lee, Welcome aboard!

A build log is a great way to keep all you musings in one place. It is also a good way to get help and advice on any issues or questions you have. They are also a great reference for other people wanting to build a similar model. They could also be an inspiration for others!

So today I finished installing the stealers. I then trimmed everything up ready for sanding.

I also decided to remove all of the nails I had used in the first part of construction to make sanding easier.

after a quick sand I test fitted the keel parts and it looks okay.

61C6EABF-8FDA-4CFE-B82D-EEF72A46F365.thumb.jpeg.349eecf3d5e0acda34281c5f1762ec39.jpeg

Lessons learnt:

Using nails to secure planks is fine. But leave them proud to enable easy removal. 

After a quick sand I can see some low points and broken bits. Some of these will hopefully sand out but some will require a bit of filling.

B0C2E22D-7E08-47C4-92C8-560AB45D40A6.thumb.jpeg.bb06b2ab71eb6d16b501930e67d980bc.jpeg

32DF6A62-452E-43FE-A7B6-0E445D015CDB.thumb.jpeg.c914d886ec6f2e8c12c471e538792de2.jpeg

Edited by Jonny 007

I did a bit of filling and a bit more sanding. I also read somewhere that Chuck used an electric sander to speed up the process before finishing it off by hand.

Due to the fact that the pre cut strakes were thicker than standard strakes my hull did require a fair bit of sanding.

Luckily I had this to help!

A8C4E5EA-9E51-4129-9E04-BF06E99C3C45.thumb.jpeg.fbb7dc4ad0b42241cdb592d0522595e6.jpeg

I also installed the keel parts and after a few tweaks I will be able to put the final two strakes on and then a coat of paint will be in order.

Its starting to look like a model boat now.

40540635-F393-4928-A9D9-4F51AA21FD71.thumb.jpeg.238b097fc80a43a23a6d6b90bfe2e19c.jpeg

@Jonny 007

I don't mean to be a critic - but, I've seen the movie 'The Bounty'... and the ship in the movie looked much bigger than this! (Hehe, please excuse my poor attempt at humor).

First of all, your monologue was awesome. And I think the structure of this thread/ and the photography is very impressive.

And secondly, your planking looks really good. I love the slight contrast of the timber in different planks, its very subtle - and I think you aced it perfectly 👍 

Well, keep it up... I'll be sure to tune back in on this one!

Nice progress Chap!!

interesting Avtar, definitely a NZ feel to it.... 🙂

Ditto Kiwi John's previous post.

Cheers and Regards.... HOF.

Edited by hof00

Completed Builds:

A/L Bluenose II

A/L Mare Nostrum

Sergal/Mantua Cutty Sark

A/L Pen Duick

A/L Fulgaro

Amati/Partworks 1/200 Bismarck

A/L Sanson

• 4 weeks later...

Progress has been slow because I was putting off tapering the masts and spars. Mainly because I had tried tapering the bow sprite and it didn’t really work.

But my wife got me this book and it has some awesome ideas in it and some great information.

0A69E7A2-114C-44E3-BC89-9F35E2E82F9C.jpeg.f46dfa46da9d4fd97e5e02c28fe2a401.jpeg

I was worried that because I didn’t own a lathe that I wouldn’t be able to taper the spars correctly.

In this book however, he has a very simple tip: File into a square and then an octagon and finally finish with a bit of sand paper. I found this technique incredibly easy and got to use my bran new multi-tool.

I pleased with the results and a task I though would take hours took mere minutes.

AE9B7FAD-9357-4A72-AE01-CC36A93F1F2B.jpeg.6e38ef4bc67894fdf611d460785a72ae.jpeg

Here’s how they look against the plan. I even re-did the bow sprite! Next up is some stain which I’ll be doing once I finish updating this build log.

C5A1596D-406D-41BC-9E2C-EAB7E96919D5.jpeg.e3089bf20343bc13a31f40e6b7001598.jpeg

I can really understand why people kit bash! I have strongly resisted the urge so far.

But when you see the results of other builds, it’s very tempting!

Below are links to some of the excellent build logs I have used as a guide and inspiration for my build:

This has a cool colour scheme:

Finished in timber (unpainted) with some sweet details

And some nice work on this one too.

Time to go work on mine!

At 1:30pm local time on Monday 23 of March, the New Zealand Government announced that in 48 hours, New Zealand would enter our Level 4 response to the COVID19 outbreak.

This means New Zealand is going into total lock down for at least 4 weeks.

Edited by Jonny 007

Time to mark the water line. I’ve seen some very nice tools for doing this. I don’t have one of those nice tools so I used some blu-tac, my quick square and a pencil. For future builds I will need to refine this!

EAF5D13F-1166-4A48-A728-CC88D6150CAA.jpeg.d58d1b5fd39fc97cf56842723eae5f09.jpeg

I then used Frog Tape to mask the water line. Then applied the first coat of Occre Brown.

in the foreground is the masks and spars.

3F6BF001-F3CF-4AE9-985C-E06DBEF4E462.jpeg.0e7a44afa7dbec05d0b7f1f58ba52a5a.jpeg

A wee bit of colour changes the whole look.

5D294462-AD35-4690-8A80-D284A7FCFFA1.thumb.jpeg.8313d33ff824c078b66716eaa66bb8cd.jpeg

At this point I want to say I am really enjoying the build process. I have so far built it pretty much to the plans and it is turning out okay. For a first build, I’m quite pleased with how it looks. Sure, it’s no master class. But I have to remember not to get too caught up by how awesome other builds are.

Hey hey it’s SATURDAY! (And we are in lock down...)

Today I hope to finish the hull, get it mounted so I can start on the mast, sails and rigging.

The hull needs a couple more coats of blue. It’s quite dark so the next two coats will get a touch of white.

244D4116-B656-4A68-B825-0E6A6A53ED78.thumb.jpeg.d6fb7ae6851c1895e7366e2d6b3bbbee.jpeg

Edited by Jonny 007

I still need to mount the rudder and add a couple more detail parts. There is also a gap right near the bow that I’m not happy with. I’m going to attempt to fill it and paint it white. It will be mostly covered bow the bowsprit but if I don’t fix it, it will annoy me.

C3F49FA6-0572-4D4C-A3A1-C8FEF4E6A920.jpeg.9815494a89073442deb5563380488487.jpeg

One thing about this kit is it shows it having nice turned brass pedestals to sit on.

However the kit only supplies some plain wood ones. So I’m going to do some modelling tricks to try and make them look a bit nicer.

Quick update about the base:

I gave the top side a coat of matte varnish and will have to paint the sides as the MDF doesn’t really like any of my stains. I’ve also painted the pedestals to try and make them look a bit prettier. It also has a name plate and obviously a boat to go on yet, so once all that’s done I’m confident it will look okay.

Okay, picture time.

DA535148-2B38-4C1B-AA14-BF5A772D36B3.jpeg.889dfb150f846599c3b621fea8c9ea6d.jpeg

D48104E6-A3A2-443D-84E4-4700974C5F25.thumb.jpeg.0625b4f5a074082fa975ce6d1fba2df2.jpeg

Hello Johnny007,

I think you picked a great kit for a first build and like the way you approached it. You are clearly doing a fine job with it and it's coming along well, very quickly. 

For marking the waterline, there are fancy tools available, but all you really need is a book or books or blocks high enough to rest a pencil on top. The beauty of this is that the pencil won't wander up and down as you're drawing the line.

Looking forward to following the rest of your progress.

Clare

Clare Hess

He's a -> "HE"

Hi Jonny and thanks for posting your build of the Bounty Launch, excellent stuff so far. We are in lock down too and I've just taken the plunge on the Occre version of the same boat and after an initial problem with the instructions being in Spanish, I'll soon be ready to start, in between working at home!

This will also be my first build and although I'm a bit nervous about the planking side of it, its something to overcome and gain experience from.

Anyway, stay safe out there and I look forward to seeing more of your build.

Best wishes, Rob.

@catopower thanks for stopping by and thanks for the tips on ways to mark the waterline. I did find that my technique did mean the pencil moved which is why I will need to refine this for future builds. Nice flat books is a good idea!

@Jack_Dusty a build log is a great way of keeping all of your musings in one place. It also is a great place to ask for advice or for people to share tips or point out potential issues. Plus everyone likes pictures of model boats so it’s win win.

Thanks to everyone else that is following along and thank you for the likes!

I built the rudder and have test fitted it to the hull and I’m happy with it. I also test fitted it on the stand which looks okay. Happy with how the plain wood pedestals turned out.

787A980F-A9AE-4B47-97B1-56E2E511FAD9.thumb.jpeg.cb37e5bf44066bf0f35cb7672b7d7205.jpeg

I then mocked up the bits that I could. It looks like a model boat!

I replaced the original aftermarket anchor I purchased it a grapple as this seems to be what they might actually have had. And added a small barrel that I’m going to pretend contains water.

5D4B7163-4BE4-44FA-A518-2E2A5E0005D9.thumb.jpeg.3a3489697224b753d70b437debccc9d8.jpeg

So one thing that comes up regularly with this kit is that the main sail (sp) is much bigger than what the plans suggest. The are several options out there but my option is I am going to un-pick the back end of the sail, trim to fit the spars and re-sew it. I don’t have access to a sowing machine (in lock down) so the plan is to do it by hand.

If I mess it up I’ll just furl (sp) against the bottom spar.

If I succeed by my sewing skills are poor then I will hopefully be able to fix it at a later date.

Not that excited about the thought of hand sewing, but will chalk it up to an experience.

Wish me luck!

89157473-0ECC-4B8E-B539-2E246FF7DF4D.thumb.jpeg.d68869ee54a6c379517fbfe0081b0fb8.jpeg

Just my 2 cents, but I think you'll actually have an easier time, and a better looking model, if you just remake the boom and gaff. Probably didn't take you all that long to do, and you can clearly do a good job with those. Resewing the sail will possibly leave you with something that stands out on the model.

Clare Hess

He's a -> "HE"