Drafting instruments

I just purchased from EBay a Norris drafting set, just because. I love stuff like this. What’s the best thing to clean them up with. Isopropyl and a q-tip.? I had a nice set back high school, but that was before dirt came into existence. All we had were rocks then. It’s actually in great shape, just the nooks and crannies need cleaning.

Kurt

9AAF8D6B-3FF3-453E-BA00-A7F3B9E6388A.jpeg

Member: Ship Model Society of New Jersey

On 4/13/2020 at 9:12 PM, Kurt Johnson said:

I just purchased from EBay a Norris drafting set, just because. I love stuff like this. What’s the best thing to clean them up with. Isopropyl and a q-tip.? I had a nice set back high school, but that was before dirt came into existence. All we had were rocks then. It’s actually in great shape, just the nooks and crannies need cleaning.

Kurt

9AAF8D6B-3FF3-453E-BA00-A7F3B9E6388A.jpeg

I have a number of these drawing instrument sets, the majority by Kern, from Switzerland (from when I was working as an information and technical illustrator - long before computers made real draughting skills redundant!). The best material to clean them with is jewellers rouge paste or red jewellers polishing compound, applied with an electric mini drill, with a final hand polish using lint free cloths. Never use anything remotely abrasive, even the finest grade steel wool, as this will damage the chrome plating. And certainly never use any acid-based cleaning liquid, regardless of how much it's been diluted. 

Edited by Torrens
More detailed reply.

Michael

member of
United States Naval Institute

Royal United Services Institute

Society for Nautical Research
Navy Records Society

author of
The Art of Nautical lllustration - A Visual Tribute to the Classic Marine Painters, 1991, 2001 & 2002
United States Coast Guard barque Eagle, 2013 (Blurb Photobook)

former assistant editor of the quarterly journal and annual 
Model Shipwright and Shipwright 2010

On 4/18/2020 at 4:33 PM, bridgman said:

Try using a liquid silver polish or something like "Braso". Then wash with warm water to remove

Remaining polish from nooks and cranies. Silver polish can be  usually found in supermarkets.

I would avoid any contact with water! Not good - and particularly not good in the 'nooks and crannies' as these are the places where rust will develop (unless the base material is brass, as were most of the better quality draughting instruments). A medium soft artists brush is the best method of removing excess polish.

Michael

member of
United States Naval Institute

Royal United Services Institute

Society for Nautical Research
Navy Records Society

author of
The Art of Nautical lllustration - A Visual Tribute to the Classic Marine Painters, 1991, 2001 & 2002
United States Coast Guard barque Eagle, 2013 (Blurb Photobook)

former assistant editor of the quarterly journal and annual 
Model Shipwright and Shipwright 2010

On 4/19/2020 at 9:26 AM, Torrens said:

I would avoid any contact with water! Not good - and particularly not good in the 'nooks and crannies' as these are the places where rust will develop (unless the base material is brass, as were most of the better quality draughting instruments). A medium soft artists brush is the best method of removing excess polish.

True, water is a no-no. However, I'd put a finer point on "most of the better quality drafting instruments" being brass.  The highest quality drafting instruments were made of cold rolled "German silver," which is sometimes called "nickel brass" which is 60% copper, 20% nickel, and 20% zinc. It's also sometimes called "nickel silver," or "cupronickel." German silver is within the category of brasses, but shouldn't be confused with common brass at all. Lower quality instruments will be chrome plated. Unlike chrome or nickel plating, German silver has a satin finish.  High quality sets, such as Keuffel and Esser's Paragon line and Dietzgen's Gem Union line, originally came with a flannel-type jeweler's polishing cloth such as made for polishing fine silverware.

DSC_0074_cabdefdd-1382-4819-9389-076b233
Vintage Keuffel & Esser Co. Drafting Tools - shopgoodwill.com