Royal Caroline by Messis - FINISHED - Panart - 1/48

As a matter of interest, are you taking measurements from the plans consistently ? My reason for asking is that I am making up the masts. The plan has measurements on it but the drawing which is supposed to be 1:1 is very different. The measurements given are considerably longer. It may be something for you to bear in mind. What do you think ?

Current build : Gorch Fock Occre

Completed non-boat build 1/16 Model expo Sopwith Camel - in shore leave.

Previous boat builds:

Amerigo Vespucci Occre

Yacht Mary

Artesania Latina Red Dragon (Modified)

Non-boat build 1/24 scale Dennis bus by OcCre - in shore leave.

Mare Nostrum (modified)  Amati Oseberg (modified)  Chaperon sternwheel steamer 1884   Constructo Lady Smith kit/scratch build   

OcCre Santisima Trinidad Cross Section 

Constructo Robert E Lee Paddle Steamer  Constructo Louise, steam powered river boat   OcCre Bounty with cutaway hull 

Corel Scotland Baltic Ketch (not on MSW) OcCre Spirit of Mississippi paddle steamer (not on MSW)

In the Gallery:
 Mare Nostrum   Oesberg  Constructo Lady Smith   Constructo Robert E Lee   Constructo Louise   OcCre Bounty   OcCre Spirit of Mississippi

@Mike Dowling I have to see to that, I just know that not all drawings are to scale. Still if there is doubt  I can consult the book of Bellabarba,there is a to scale drawing of the yards and masts. Please don't hesitate to ask me if you wish me to take for you any mesuarments out of the book.

Christos

Edited by MESSIS

Thank you, that is very kind. I have done the masts according to the given measurements rather than take them off the plan but I may ask you about the yards when I get to them.

Previous boat builds:

Amerigo Vespucci Occre

Yacht Mary

Mare Nostrum (modified)  Amati Oseberg (modified)  Chaperon sternwheel steamer 1884   Constructo Lady Smith kit/scratch build   

Constructo Robert E Lee Paddle Steamer  Constructo Louise, steam powered river boat   OcCre Bounty with cutaway hull 

Corel Scotland Baltic Ketch (not on MSW) OcCre Spirit of Mississippi paddle steamer (not on MSW)

In the Gallery:
 Mare Nostrum   Oesberg  Constructo Lady Smith   Constructo Robert E Lee   Constructo Louise   OcCre Bounty   OcCre Spirit of Mississippi

Yes, indeed I did. Good thought though.

Previous boat builds:

Amerigo Vespucci Occre

Yacht Mary

In the Gallery:

@TimCI already mention that these are made by Amati and they are really a piece of art. The RC kit is Mantua.

Ps the flange on which is sitting are not in the swivel guns kit nor in the ships kit. Are taken from another kit (W.Churchil)

Edited by MESSIS

Rigging the cannons... as I finished the first one, -they looked a little big- so I wondered if the blocks are out of scale. So I did some checking calculations. The correct size according to Bellabarba's book it should be 180 mm. So for the model's scale that is 3.75mm. That means a 4 mm block was the best I could use. Still there are'nt any 4 mm blocks to buy. Only 5mm and 3mm blocks are there available, but still both have about the same deviation of 1mm from the size I actually needed to use. So betwwen the two I decided to use  the 5mm fine quality Syren Co. blocks which I already had.

Untitled-1.jpg

20210222_102254.jpg

20210222_092938.jpg

I haven't decided if I will got that far with my RC because I find too much detail on deck can detract from the overall model and it's hard to get lines to "sit" right.

I rather agree with you. I never rig cannons as, when I have tried the ropes etc never look to scale and do detract from other deck detail. Each to his/her own of course.

Previous boat builds:

Amerigo Vespucci Occre

Yacht Mary

In the Gallery:

I just don't rig canons as personally I prefer it that way. I still do all the other rigging.

Previous boat builds:

Amerigo Vespucci Occre

Yacht Mary

In the Gallery:

On 2/22/2021 at 3:17 PM, MESSIS said:

guys you think it was better off without the rigging?

I only rigged the breech ropes on my Royal Caroline, but I admit I was more interested in appearance than historical accuracy. I agree with other folks that too much clutter can detract from other aspects of the model. Of course, real-life sailing ships were very cluttered and crews had to work hard to keep everything ship-shape, but this was a royal yacht so perhaps we can forgive them for not wanting all that rigging spoiling the guns! On my latest build, HMS Speedy, I fully rigged all 14 guns with 2mm blocks and that was an exercise in patience! Rather than go that far, you might want to consider adding some details like the triangular shot garlands shown in the AOTS book you have (see photo below).

I like your swivel guns by the way, and wondered if you had also considered replacing the cannon barrels. I don't know if the kit has changed since I bought mine a long time ago, but I found that the cannon barrels were too large according to AOTS - 40mm when they should have been around 32mm. I replaced them with ones I got from the Model Dockyard (now sadly closed) and I can't remember what brand they were, but they looked much more in scale.  Unfortunately it meant I also had to make my own carriages but that was an interesting little side project. This is the only picture I can find of mine (it's difficult to photograph now as it's in a case):

RC23_edited-2.thumb.jpg.30ff0251acd5c198912dce5dce11199d.jpg

Derek

Cheers, Derek

Current build:   Duchess of Kingston

On hold:              HMS Winchelsea

Previous builds:  HMS SpeedyEnglish Pinnace, Royal Yacht Caroline (gallery),

Victory Cross-section (gallery), US Clipper Albatros, Red Dragon (years ago!)

On the stocks:    18th Century Longboat

• 2 weeks later...

That is a lovely job on the cannon rigging. It doesn't look out of scale, one of the best I have seen.

Previous boat builds:

Amerigo Vespucci Occre

Yacht Mary

In the Gallery:

Messis would you mind measuring the length and diameter of the falconnets for me, just the main body of the gun. I might turn some up for my R.C.

Just a hint - you would be wise not to stick your lifeboat and platform down just yet. Wait until you have done your rigging or you will never get to the belaying points with it in the way.

Previous boat builds:

Amerigo Vespucci Occre

Yacht Mary

In the Gallery: