Serving Rope

Though I’ve rigged 9 models now, I confess I’ve never served a line, at 1/64th scale I just couldn’t get excited about it. Now I’m about to build Chuck’s amazing Cheerful at 1:48 and I want to do it right. I’ll get his Servo-metic to do the serving but I have a couple of dumb, servo-novice questions:  

-What keeps the thread wrapped around the line in neatly in place so that it doesn’t turn into a unraveled mess as I work to install it?

-is it terminated And run in a different way due to its added thickness and again so it doesn’t turn into a ball of thread.

-Any suggestions tips or tricks?

Thanks in advance for any advice offered.

Edited by glbarlow

Regards,

Glenn

Current Build: HMS Winchelsea
Completed Builds: HM Flirt (paused) HM Cutter CheerfulLady NelsonAmati HMS Vanguard,  
HMS Pegasus, Fair American, HM Granado, HM Pickle, AVS, Pride of Baltimore, Bluenose

While holding the tension with one hand Ill use a micro-applicator (modified sewing needle) and CA to end as others have described.  Some use Shellac or White Glue for this.  Either way the Serv-o-matic will make the job easy, just follow his assembly instructions carefully.   Speaking from experience, it is critical to get those gears perfectly aligned when putting them together.   

Download his instructions for use from the website and you'll get a sense for how it works.   Basically, one hand holds the serving line while the other cranks, the tension from the serving hand keeps everything neat and clean, when you reach your desired end, use the crank hand to reach over and grab some CA while you maintain tension with the serving hand.   It works well, but you'll want to make sure you've got what you need handy because letting go of that serving line will result in some unravelling.   

While the advice above is good, I would not recommend CA glue as it ends up making line brittle. Dilute white glue or acrylic matt medium are better choices, as Greg recommended.

Be sure to sign up for an epic Nelson/Trafalgar project if you would like to see it made into a TV series  http://trafalgar.tv

14 minutes ago, druxey said:

white glue or acrylic matt medium a

Applied along the whole line or just at the end. If just at the end then I guess the rest of it holds all along the length as it’s installed?

Regards,

Glenn

Current Build: HMS Winchelsea
Completed Builds: HM Flirt (paused) HM Cutter CheerfulLady NelsonAmati HMS Vanguard,  
HMS Pegasus, Fair American, HM Granado, HM Pickle, AVS, Pride of Baltimore, Bluenose

A half-hitch and shellac at the end to prevent unravelling ... once installed, the part can be lightly soaked in dilute shellac or (black/brown) acrylic varnish to secure things. I prefer something that can be softened with solvent in case one needs to make adjustments.

wefalck

panta rhei - Everything is in flux

M-et-M-72.jpg  Banner-AKHS-72.jpg  Banner-AAMM-72.jpg  ImagoOrbis-72.jpg

22 hours ago, wefalck said:

the part can be lightly soaked in dilute shellac

Does the shellac ever create a tendency for dust to stick more than otherwise?   

I really enjoyed serving ropes on my Medway Longboat using Chuck's serving machine. It was fun to use and I got much faster with a little practice. I would apply an extremely tiny spot of CA with the sharp point of a dental tool exactly where I needed it to secure the thread, and I used my lighted magnifier to be able to see exactly where to place the glue on the thread.  This process worked well for me.

Bob Garcia

"Measure once, cuss twice!"

Current Builds: 

Hms Brig-Sloop Flirt 1782 - Vanguard Models

Pen Duick - Artesania Latina 1:28

Completed: Medway Longboat 1742 - Syren Ship Model Co. 

Member of the Nautical Research Guild

On ‎5‎/‎2‎/‎2020 at 6:37 AM, glbarlow said:

Though I’ve rigged 9 models now, I confess I’ve never served a line, at 1/64th scale I just couldn’t get excited about it. Now I’m about to build Chuck’s amazing Cheerful at 1:48 and I want to do it right. I’ll get his Servo-metic to do the serving but I have a couple of dumb, servo-novice questions:  

-What keeps the thread wrapped around the line in neatly in place so that it doesn’t turn into a unraveled mess as I work to install it?

-is it terminated And run in a different way due to its added thickness and again so it doesn’t turn into a ball of thread.

-Any suggestions tips or tricks?

Thanks in advance for any advice offered.

Build yourself a mini version of the so called "bow string server", used primarily by the people who are into archery. Google the name and look into "Images" to find an idea that suits you, except yours will have to be a mini version  of those for archery, like for example in here: https://www.midwayusa.com/product/1007416075 . (mine is a bit different though, but works just as well) .

This is an easy project, a bit of scrap materials from your workshop and a little machining and perhaps soldering. It will serve you well for many years, in conjunction with your serving machine! This mini server will do the entire serving process for your ropes without your intervention. If your serving machine is electrically powered, start the motor after suspending the bow string server under your rope to be served and go and make yourself a cup of coffee, the machine will do the rest for you. (Mine is a bit longer than the commercially available ones, so I can serve longer pieces of ropes, say 3 or 4 feet long, if neccesary).

I quess, the mystery behind serving is that the thread is tightly woven (served) around your rope, without any spaces in between, because each consecutive winding is directly next to the previous one, in other words, the next winding doesn't have any other place to be put, except the place next to the previous one. (provided that there is a proper tension on the server). Such a mini bow string server takes care about "finding this place", so to speak.

Also check this discussion here:  

Edited by Dziadeczek

Hello,

I was very intensively involved with the serving of ropes and built myself a rope serving machine.
If you are interested you can read up on some things here LINK.

Here you can also watch a video LINK.

Edited by archjofo

• 1 year later...

I use my old Ship Ahoy serving machine to apply my service.  I have served lines down to .012" in diameter.  I first make sure that the rope to be served is very taut between the ends of the machine.  Being right-handed, I always serve from left to right. I know, the old ditty is "worm and parcel with the lay, turn and serve the other way", so it should make a difference whether the rope is left- or right laid, but at small scales it's impossible to tell the direction of serving on the final product. I determine the starting point at the left end of the rope and, with a very sharp needle pierce the rope there.  Thread the serving thread thru the needle's eye and pull it thru about 6"; use a small piece of tape to lightly secure the end of the thread to the served rope off to the right..  Now I locate the other end (the finishing end) of the service, and again pierce the rope with a needle at that spot and just leave it there.  

Start the winding, packing the thread turns closely together until you have about  a dozen turns laid up.  This will have secured the bitter end of the thread under the first few wraps of the service, and the thread's end can now be removed from the tape and cut off as closely as possible.  Continue serving until you reach the second needle. Cut the thread about 6" long, and thread it thru the needle's eye. Pull it thru the rope to secure the bitter end.  Now apply a small bit of PVA (Elmer's) to the whole served line, and rub it in so it penetrates all the turns.  It will dry in about 5 minutes, and will afford some protection from the whole thing unravelling if it is nicked with a knife or sharp edge later on. After the glue dries, trim the bitter end of the thread off as close as possible. Voila!  A served rope!

Note, if the length to be served is longer that the serving machine, making it impossible to insert the second needle, just quit when you approach the right hand end of the machine.  Put an alligator clip near the end of your service, it will bank against the machine and prevent it from untwisting when you release the rope from the clamps at either end. After releasing the ends of the rope, carefully pull the rope to the left until it is repositioned where you want it.  After the rope is taut again, remove the alligator clip and continue the service.  Repeat until you have reached the end of the service length, then insert the right hand needle, and finish as above.

P1030616.JPG