How to Caulk the planks of the hull

Hello there , 

im almost there.... almost going to work on the second planks of the Hms Victory..

i saw a lot of beautiful and symmetrical caulking for the hull planks in google for model ships ..

but i didnt found the methods for them ..

i will be more than happy if you will share with me your experience about how to caulk the planks (without The paper methods ..)

Best regards ,

Michael. 

"smooth seas do not make good sailors..."

:pirate41:

MY FIRS BUILD : H.M.S BOUNTY (mamoli)

SECOND BUILD :The concord stagecoach 1:12 youtube link : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yJzCs9umWPI 

CURRENTLY BUILD : H.M.S VICTORY (Caldercraft) : http://modelshipworld.com/index.php?/topic/15501-hms-victory-by-michael101-caldercraft-scale-172/

No paper here.   I use a #2 pencil or a black felt pen that almost dried up.  

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

The second plank its dark walnut do you think the pencil can do the job ? 

SECOND BUILD :The concord stagecoach 1:12 youtube link : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yJzCs9umWPI 

CURRENTLY BUILD : H.M.S VICTORY (Caldercraft) : http://modelshipworld.com/index.php?/topic/15501-hms-victory-by-michael101-caldercraft-scale-172/

Good question. Test it on one of planks say 2" at one end and the hold another plank next to and see what it looks like.  Walnut may be too dark for this to work well.

Mark

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

I will check it , 

Thank you

Michael,

I checked photos  of contemporary models at Preble Hall and none of them have caulking between planks on the hull.    That is not to say there are none there, but I did not find any in my collection of photos.    These models are at 1:64 or 1:48 scale.   What scale are you working with?  If you are at 1:98 or thereabouts, IMHO there is no need to show caulking, especially if you have a dark grainy wood like walnut.   Can you post some photos of the models that you found that have caulked hull planks, I am really curious to see what these models look like?   Maybe something to consider for my own future projects :>)  

As to methods of caulking, I prefer black tissue paper, but as you do not want to go that route, Mark's comment is spot on, soft pencil or black marker.  If using a marker, as thin as the second layer of planking normally is on the kits, be careful the ink does not wick into the wood and/or get over the edge.  Test pieces as Mark suggests is always a good idea.

Allan

PLEASE take 30 SECONDS and sign up for the epic Nelson/Trafalgar project if you would like to see it made into a TV series.   Click on http://trafalgar.tv   There is no cost other than the 30 seconds of your time.  THANK YOU

I use a chisel tipped black marker pen 3mm wide but most importantly it must have archival ink in it.  I think the last one I bought cost about £3 so they are dead cheap.  I have found that they don't bleed into the wood and putting poly on the top has no effect either.  As always do a small test first :)

I suppose I need to post a disclaimer... I usually work at 1/64 and when I caulk I use the pencil method.   I did a 1:48 cross-section and I used the marker pen.  

Mark

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:

I've heard of and used the pencil method on both my later period ship models. But only on the deck planks. Never heard any mention of simulating caulk on the hull planks before. Interesting idea and I guess on the real ships of those times some sort of caulking method was used. But I've never have read anything about it. I too would like to see a photo of a model ship with hull caulking.

Allen

Current Builds: Mayflower - 1:60; Golden Hind - 1:50

Past Builds: Marie Jeanne, Bluenose, Bluenose II, Oseberg, Roar Ege,

Waiting to Build: Swift

On deck planking I've heard of some people using sewing thread between the planks. But that is way to labor intensive for my liking.

Edited by acaron41120

Allen

Current Builds: Mayflower - 1:60; Golden Hind - 1:50

Past Builds: Marie Jeanne, Bluenose, Bluenose II, Oseberg, Roar Ege,

Waiting to Build: Swift

For my Armed Virginia Sloop hull which was planked with walnut, I used a black pen (archival ink)

DSC_comp_0445.thumb.JPG.7edda3be80fd4b899bba8e71a3358d6f.JPG

I only apply it on one side.

Jean-Paul

'You are not carving a bear with a chain saw here folks',

Chuck Passaro, ´Queen Anne Style Barge´ manual of instructions

Current builds :

Finished build :

Next on list :

• Santa Maria boat - Korabel (Ukraine) - 1:24

Pencil_tip_closeup_2.jpg.63b4ece92f7db5d948395aef209d61cd.jpg

Chuck Seiler
San Diego Ship Modelers Guild
Nautical Research Guild

Current Build:: Colonial Schooner SULTANA (scratch from Model Expo Plans), Hanseatic Cog Wutender Hund, John Smith Shallop
Completed:  Missouri Riverboat FAR WEST (1876) Scratch, 1776 Gunboat PHILADELPHIA (Scratch 1/4 scale-Model Shipways plans)